LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nmcowgurl
Stats: 245
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/11/2012
Completely exhausted every single day

Hi everyone I need some help. Im exhausted every day. I sleep good and al seems great the 1st hour after i wake up. Then after that I crash and burn bad. I cant hardly function. Yesterday I almost feel asleep while waiting on my people to show up so i could drive them. Thats my job i drive people I have peoples lives in my hands here. I had to go get a coke zero and a cookie before i felt ok.

See I have already had one inccident where I like spaced out while driving. I can not have this. I am taking a multivitamiins everyday, along with chromium picolinate, biotin and potassium. Im afraid that if i ccant shake this then I'm gonna have to change the way i eat completly.

Of course i have gained2 pounds from that stupid cookie but i expected that. I have nno been up for 2 hours and I'm ready to go back to bed I'm so not functing. Im not hungry I dont want to eat but when i do eat everything is cooked in oil lots of bacon. with butter. Help im so lost.
nmcowgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
How long have you been following a ketogenic diet and been cheat free? Be honest here, do you cheat daily and use cookies or other high glycemic snacks to help you manage your fatigue?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Getting labs would be a good idea. Or at least checking bp and blood glucose for a start. It could be a lot of things, but easy things to check would be low blood pressure and low glucose. After that a saliva cortisol lab and thyroid lab would be helpful.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

ive been on it since may 11th and I admit i have cheated a couple of times but like the 1sst month never cheated and was still tired. I have used a cookie twice to make sure I could drive the people. I do not like the crash and fatigue you get when you eat sugar but I dontknow what else to do. I eat meat, eggs, cheese, and the veggies that i can have I stay on track and I'm tired. I fry everything and when I dont i put butter on my steaks. I have to force myself to eat now and when I do I Up my fat because I know im not going to at a lot. Im at a lose here. If I didnt feel like death I wouldnt have needed the cookie yesterday to get the people to their destination.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I agree on the labs and will get some ran. But i had a set run in April everything was great. My blood pressure was fine when I got my BC shot a week ago.. BUt my heart rate was 115 at rest which is odd but they didnt seem concerned. I had my tyhroid checked more times then i care to say and everytime it comes back within normal range. Ill see about getting the other ones ran because I am tired of feeling like this.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 211/193.4/150
Start Date: 12/08/14
Try a more moderate approach? Count your carbs and add 5 or 10 grams: without adding grains, or treats.

Fruit is always a better choice to up carbs. Carbier nuts are good; like peanuts or pistachios.

Atkins talks about this in his book, and he recommends a piece of fruit if you feel you'll crash. He said something like; "you should never go through your day feeling terrible" and if you really feel bad, up your carbs a bit.

The key is to SLIGHTLY up them, not go overboard.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Ok I will try that. Can I eat like dried cherries, cranberries, things like that? I really dontlike fruit but i like dried fruit I know im weird. I will try slowly upping my carbs with nuts or fruit
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcowgurl View Post
I agree on the labs and will get some ran. But i had a set run in April everything was great. My blood pressure was fine when I got my BC shot a week ago.. BUt my heart rate was 115 at rest which is odd but they didnt seem concerned. I had my tyhroid checked more times then i care to say and everytime it comes back within normal range. Ill see about getting the other ones ran because I am tired of feeling like this.
When I was on optifast (shakes only), I would get so tired in the early afternoons I had to lie down in a dark room. I felt like if I didn't lie down, I would probably fall down. Never did figure out what caused it, but it sure seems like it must have been blood glucose. I could lie down for about half an hour with my eyes closed and then be OK. It sounds like what you are having.

IMO, it is some type of hormonal problem. A great doctor is your friend if you can find one.

Your cortisol (when working right) is highest in the morning and then drops over the day and is lowest at bedtime so you can sleep. So if your cortisol levels are off, you can either have a lot of energy when you shouldn't or have a little energy when you should have a lot. If you have it tested, you need the saliva diurnal test, not the blood test.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Slowly upping your carbs with fruit or nuts sounds like a good plan. There's a lot of variation in how many carbs are in fruit; try to choose wisely (berries rather than bananas, for example). For dried fruit, I'd go with cherries and apricots but be very cautious about portion size; dried cranberries are likely to have added sugar.

Make sure that you are getting enough salt, too. If I let my salt level drop too low (if I forget to salt my food and drink lots of water), then I get weirdly exhausted when eating lowcarb.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I felt that way at less than 50 grams of carbs. My body NEEDS carbs for energy. These days I eat less fat but have 100 grams of carbs. And my carbs are from fruit, veggies and gluten free whole grains.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I would like to second the salt. I had for years not added salt to any of my food and when LC'ing I would just feel drained and felt like I could barely put one foot in front of the other. Plus I had really bad water retention whenever I ate something salty.

Someone suggested the salt issue. I now add a small amount of sea salt to my bottles of water and after a few days doing this, I got my energy back. After a week or so I no longer have swollen feet and ankles. So I am now a true sea salt believer.

I was surprised that something as simple as not enough salt could make me feel so awful.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 300/258/150
WOE: Low Carb, my way <25 grams a day
Start Date: May 6, 2012
If you eat fruit, eat real fruit, not dried. Dried fruit will most likely always have added sugar, which is why you probably like it better.

If I were you, I would eat more frequently. Maybe your body needs food more often than just 3 meals a day.
countrycookinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on message boards, but I agree with those suggesting you have blood panels run. I'm a diabetic in remission for 8 months, but every once in awhile I have low blood sugar. It feels very much like what you are describing.
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 211/193.4/150
Start Date: 12/08/14
It is true that diabetiçs can go too low if they're not careful but even some diabetics go vlc and feel fine.

It seems to be a variable thing. I know the lower I go the better I feel but that's not true for everyone.

Get checked if you're concerned.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
I would take along one of the Dr. Atkins bars - very satisfying. There is one with dried cranberry and it is very good and does not inhibit my weight loss. Dried druit does have a TON of sugar. Try to stick with the real thing. Hope you start to feel better.
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melkhamilton
What do you eat in the mornings? (Or do you eat in the mornings?)

I'm wondering because you say you're fine when you get up, then an hour later, you crash and burn. It's so unlikely (but I guess not impossible) that you're having a crash after eating LC foods. That happens much more often with carb-y foods.

If you're not eating at all, you may need to be eating smaller meals spread throughout the day and starting with when you get up.
melkhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
Start Date: April 10,2012
Did you give up caffeine at the same time? That could be making you so tired.

Also, do you have any chicken broth? Sometimes not having enough potassium/sodium can make you feel this way. A cup of broth daily might help with that.
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alessandre
Stats: 200/169/112
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: June 2012
I have had similar problems. I am doing SB Induction, and I haven't slipped from this at all. I also know I am getting adequate sodium and other essential minerals. Yet I find myself hitting a wall every afternoon to the point where I struggle to stay awake if I'm not active. It has been terribly hot and humid here, so I haven't been out for my daily walk. Cooler weather is coming, and I am hoping that getting up and going for a walk will help. If nothing else, I know I can't sleep while walking down the street!

I do think I am in part feeling a lack of caffeine. Prior to changing my eating habits, I did rely on a small amount of caffeine to get through the mid-afternoon doldrums. It is hard to not have any when my eyelids start to get heavy, but I'll have to find another way to perk up.
Alessandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: megansmom39
Stats: 249/223/130
WOE: Mixed
Start Date: 5/29/2012
Could you be pregnant? i mean when I was pregnant I'ld fall asleep if I stood still more than 5 seconds. And that was before I even had any other symptoms.
And are you getting enough B-vitamins?
megansmom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I too went thru this when starting lower carb...I felt so tired I thought I would not make it past 4 oclock. This also made me wonder if I could stick with this way of eating...I started eating a smaller lunch and allowed my self a snack between lunch and dinner if I got the munchies. I also looked into supplements...b vitamins, magnesium and potassium seemed to have helped a lot...I have also noticed a change since adding coconut oil. It did pass but it took longer than I would have liked. If it had lasted any longer than the month or so it did I would have seen a doctor as many have suggested for you. Good luck and just try different things til you find what works. My super sleepy feeling time was after lunch so I figured maybe I was overdoing the eat til satisfied thing and then was getting sleepy full belly syndrome...lol.eat and sleep like a baby...if you know what I mean.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alessandre
Stats: 200/169/112
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: June 2012
I have found something that really helps me. When I'm feeling really draggy, I have a small snack (e.g., skinless chicken with mayo, wrapped in lettuce; chopped up broccoli with mayo and a bit of Splenda). In my enthusiasm to lose weight, I think I am not getting enough calories. I have a snack with enough fat to be filling (and mentally it still feels like a treat!) and then I'm good for the afternoon.
Alessandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
You also might need to be evaluated for medical conditions like sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, low blood sugar/diabetes, etc.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCat2
Stats: 204/196.5/150
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: restart July '12
Yeah...I felt like that too.~had a blood test and it's diabetes. Don't mess around and get your BS checked.
CrazyCat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
This is just my two cents, but have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? I'm currently waiting for the results of mine, but your symptoms sound a lot like what I've been going through. The falling asleep at random times during the day and feeling like crap throughout.... you might want to talk to your doctor about it.
Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Could also have something do to with your BC shot. There are many people having adverse reactions to the shots... you might want to look into that...

Best of luck!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

thanks everyone, Im gonna try upping my carbs threw nuts and fruit. After the 2 weeks of getting back on induction. I know i not pregnant i was befre andthis isnt the same.