Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeamove
Stats: 172/164/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 5, 2011
Pregnancy & Low Carb

Hi,

I am in my first few weeks of pregnancy and was wondering if any of you on here have successfully followed low carb while pregnant. From what I've read it seems that staying out of ketosis is recommended, but there's no reason not to eat lower carb. What level of carbs did anyone else have success with that resulted in a healthy pregnancy? Any tips or suggestions? Info on the net on this topic seems to be on the scarce side. My nurse practitioner supports lower carb as she thinks it's a great way to avoid gestational diabetes, but I could really benefit from the advice of someone who's been there!

Thanks in advance!
makeamove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Congratulations on finding a practitioner who will work with you!

I was on Atkins when I got pregnant with my son, 7 years ago. I knew that it wasn't safe at the level I was doing it, so with some difficulty I went off. When I complained of returning symptoms (things like IBS) that had been relieved by LC, my doctor tried to put me on a "diabetic" plan... But I simply refused to eat that much garbage! (90 % of the calories were from processed carbs!)

If I had all that to do over, I would follow a "primal" plan during pregnancy, instead of trying to go entirely off-plan. I'd stick with the nutrient-dense, whole-food diet, but incorporate more fruits, and lots of keytone-testing, looking for "negative" readings. I might even allow myself limited amounts of potatoes, mixed into my mashed cauliflower.

I was down to 180 when I got pregnant back in 2004. And you can see from my stats what I got UP to, after two pregnancies where I followed doctor's advice. I deeply regret, today, the choices I made then.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Perhaps you can ask your NP what diet they give patients with gestational diabetes. My sister developed it with her pregnancy almost 20 years ago, and at the time, I was very familiar with Atkins. The diet her OB gave her was definitely low carb but more liberal than Atkins, and my memory is that there were some food items included because of the pregnancy, but I can't be more specific after all this time. I know that she felt great throughout her pregnancy and was able to avoid any meds for the diabetes because of the low carb diet.

I know that the standard 'diabetic' diets are much too high in carbs, but this wasn't. I suspect that if you keep yourself out of ketosis--e.g., at 50-80g of carbs, you'll be fine, but, again, since your NP is pro low carb, I'd have a discussion with her.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WillBeSkinnyMom
Stats: 157/138/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 6/4/12 JUDDD 7/18/12
Congrats on your pregnancy!
My guess is somewhere around 100g of carbs would be nice and healthy-especially if it's from whole foods like fruits and vegetables.
WillBeSkinnyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The diet her OB gave her was definitely low carb but more liberal than Atkins, and my memory is that there were some food items included because of the pregnancy, but I can't be more specific after all this time.
Unfortunately, Leo, I think things have gotten WORSE in this regard. The "diabetic" diet I was given in 2004 would have had the ADA-groups I attended with my grandparents in the 80's having (figurative) heart attacks. Really, I would have been sick if I had even TRIED To follow it -- 90% carbs, most of it processed, I kid you not.)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Congrats on your pregnancy!

There is this thread at lowcarber forum with lots of info:
Low Carb Pregnancy and Weight-Facts and Fallacies : LC Parenting & Pregnancy : Active Low-Carber Forums

I did try, but I was super nauseated and had heartburn from the very first.Plus I could not stand meat/cheese.So I limped along eating mostly maintenance levels.did try to avoid all junk though from second trimester.I gained 50 pounds and lost 30 of them in first 6 weeks.I am sure I would have done much better had I low carbed,but darn those nausea hormones.Grrr..
At first I gained a lot of weight,bcoz I craved rice puddings and anything with rice in it.Strange bcoz I don't like rice at all.
If you are planning to just maintain or gain only a little,try the Insulin resistance diet:
Each meal should not be more than 30 grams carbs,eat at least 14 gram protein with it.If it is 15 grams carbs then 7 grams protein.More protein is OK ,but not less.then eat no frequent than 3-4 hours.
there is also the Brewer pregnancy diet,which is high protein and high carb.if you can tweak it to be low carb it is a great diet.
I mainly had two slices of whole grain bread(20) with cheeses/butter and decaf tea with cream plus sausages/veggie omeltte for breakfast.
snack:apple
lunch:a huge salad with protein and cheese,nuts,olives
snack:greek yogurt
dinner:grilled fish/chicken/ and brown rice with veggies
snack:nuts/low sugar hot choclate

everyday wasn't this good though.I craved lots of fruits-mangoes/ripe plantains/pomegranates etc.
Some days I cudn't mouth any cheese/meat and that was what made me gain I think.
all the best!
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
LiterateGriffin- I know that the 'standard' diabetic diet advice is awful, and I suspect that my sister had an especially enlightened OB who gave her such a good, low-carb plan to follow because at the time she worked at a major medical center in NYC, and her OB was one of their top doctors.

However, since the OP's Nurse Practitioner is supportive of low carb, I suggested that she consult with her medical support team because they would know best what minor adjustments need to be made for pregnancy.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, I think we're in violent agreement. I get what you're saying: You hand an exceptional practitioner, and so does Makeamove, which should make things much easier for her.

And my point is that I'm familiar with the advice then and the advice now, and it's sad/scary how much worse it's gotten.

I'm HOPING her NP has access to some healthier advice, because I really could have used some HELPFUL "help" when I was facing the same thing. Especially since my first sign of pregnancy was turning nauseous at the sight of anything leafy-green. (You know -- a major chunk of my Atkins diet... wonderful leafy greens!)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the input! And thanks for the link, the more info I can get to make good choices the better Love hearing people's experiences.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
My baby is 3 months old and I had a low carb pregnancy. It was beyond hard! I fought cravings for sweets every single day. I ate most meat and eggs and all meat made me gag. I used more cheese than usual and that helped. I ate artichokes for some reason and could do cauliflour also.
I was back to my weight in record time and have a happy and healthy baby. I am back to zero carb now and breastfeeding with great success. I am also 40 years old, 5 5 and 115 pounds again.
It can be done, but it certainly is not easy.
Good luck.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EverLovely
We are in the same boat. : )

I'm pregnant too and want to stay low carb. I'm due March 1st.

I found a great, active Yahoo Groups group called PregnantAtKids for support.

Here's the link:
PregnantAtkids : For low-carb'ers who are pregnant, nursing, or actively trying to get pregnant.

Congrats to you and I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.
EverLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 300/258/150
WOE: Low Carb, my way <25 grams a day
Start Date: May 6, 2012
I would do about 100 carbs a day from whole foods. Lots of veggies and fruits. I'd eat sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and steel cut oatmeal. Doing things this way, you'll be eating very healthfully and shouldn't gain too much weight during your pregnancy. Good luck and congrats!
countrycookinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I stayed low carb with just enough carbs to stay out if ketosis and had an easy, wonderful pregnancy, healthy baby. I was forty years old, working two jobs, and attending a doctoral program at night and had tons of energy.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
I was overweight before I got pregnant with both of my kids-many years ago. I did watch my calories and only gained 15 lbs with each. I spent some time researching and found out that watermellon had the most vitamins per calorie that any other fruit.

But the best thing was nursing them exclusively for at least a year, many of my husband's relatives have allergies-that was my main reason. My body used so many calories for the first child-he loved to nurse. And he is now the 140 lb adult son. I lost allot of weight and was my lowest ever at 119 lbs.
My second son, would nursed for only 5 minutes on one side and was done--now he is the chubby adult son,
So if you can, try nursing while doing LC after they are born, for a long time and watch the weight drop off.
Chris 232 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverLovely View Post
We are in the same boat. : )

I'm pregnant too and want to stay low carb. I'm due March 1st.

I found a great, active Yahoo Groups group called PregnantAtKids for support.

Here's the link:
PregnantAtkids : For low-carb'ers who are pregnant, nursing, or actively trying to get pregnant.

Congrats to you and I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Everlovely, I am due the first week of March also!!! Thanks for the link. I tried to join the Atkids web form, but haven't been accepted yet!

Thank you to the other ladies for sharing your stories. It is encouraging to hear that others have done this successfully. These first few weeks I've been eating whatever I please, but I know I'm not getting enough protein or veggies, and of course am consuming way too many carbs.

Last edited by makeamove; 07-04-2012 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
I spent some time researching and found out that watermellon had the most vitamins per calorie that any other fruit.[QOUTE/]

grt ,now only if someone tell me which veggie has the most vitamin per calorie and I can get away with just eating those two only
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #17

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
We're trying to get pregnant, so I've been looking into this a bit. I think my plan is to try and stick to whole foods as much as possible. Mostly meat, eggs, veggies, nuts and 2-3 pieces of fruit a day to keep me out of ketosis.
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #18

Gallery: pocahontas
My son is 17 mo old now but I stuck to LC as best I could when I was pregnant and it worked out great. In fact, my doc was very supportive of it.

I only gained 12 lbs and by the time I got home from the hospital I weighed less than before. I think the 12 lbs was fluid retention.

I wasnt really concerned with being in ketosis or not but I did add fruit, a serving or two daily because I craved it and I had a bowl of steel cut oats and a sweet potato a couple times a week. I would say my carbs were anywhere from 50-100 daily.

The 1st tri was the hardest because I had a strong aversion to meat so I went a little crazy with the carbs and once my meat aversion went away I went back to LC. I realized I was feeling very yucky and bloated and reducing my carbs made me feel great.

My best advice is to focus on whole foods!

Good luck and congrats!!!!

Last edited by pocahontas; 07-05-2012 at 09:10 AM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #19

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeamove View Post
Hi,

I am in my first few weeks of pregnancy and was wondering if any of you on here have successfully followed low carb while pregnant. From what I've read it seems that staying out of ketosis is recommended, but there's no reason not to eat lower carb. What level of carbs did anyone else have success with that resulted in a healthy pregnancy? Any tips or suggestions? Info on the net on this topic seems to be on the scarce side. My nurse practitioner supports lower carb as she thinks it's a great way to avoid gestational diabetes, but I could really benefit from the advice of someone who's been there!

Thanks in advance!
I have 4 babies, with 2 of those pregnancies being low carb. With baby #2, I started low carbing when he was 5 months old and I was breastfeeding him. I loved it!! Eating low carb is the best!! Food is great. Whenever I went to the doctor while pregnant with #3 and #4, they were amazed with how I looked, how much energy I had, how I gained the right amount of weight--not too much and not too little. The whole staff kept commenting on how good I looked! The doctor knew exactly what I was doing. I don't think my doctor was too too happy with me, but as long as the testing was good, and I was doing OK, he couldn't complain!! I didn't measure ketones or count carbs, but ate low carb. I didn't have bread, rice or pasta. I ate meat, veggies and dairy. I ate better while pregnant and breastfeeding than at any other time. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by dawnyama; 07-05-2012 at 05:41 PM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #20

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Did a search in the main lobby for old threads where I posted a few things I shared. I shared my experiences as well as my menus. Here is one of those threads:

low-carb pregnancy??

and I will go ahead and bump this up for you!
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote