Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocowate
Red lobsters on atkins?

It's my graduation on monday so the family is taking me out to red lobsters. What should I order? I know about those chedday bay biscuit devils. Staying away from that. I'm planning on eating the ultimate feast(26 carbs) and the salad. Should I eat an appetizer there? I really love everything there so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Chocowate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocowate View Post
It's my graduation on monday so the family is taking me out to red lobsters. What should I order? I know about those chedday bay biscuit devils. Staying away from that. I'm planning on eating the ultimate feast(26 carbs) and the salad. Should I eat an appetizer there? I really love everything there so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Grilled shrimp is your friend! Same with the lobster, salmon,steak,mans chicken (except male chicken).

As I recall, most of their appetizers are pretty questionable... But the scampi is 0 carbs. Same with the buffalo wings. Also, you can add a skewer of garlic-grilled shrimp to your meal for only 3 carbs.

I love that red lobster has great broccoli, too. It's one of my favorite places to go out, as their menu is so easy!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Grilled shrimp is your friend! Same with the lobster, salmon,steak,mans chicken (except male chicken).

As I recall, most of their appetizers are pretty questionable... But the scampi is 0 carbs. Same with the buffalo wings. Also, you can add a skewer of garlic-grilled shrimp to your meal for only 3 carbs.

I love that red lobster has great broccoli, too. It's one of my favorite places to go out, as their menu is so easy!
Thanks!
What about the breaded shrimp On the ultimate feast? Should I stay away from it?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Ask them to subsitute grilled, or get a skewer of grilled and give someone else your breaded. (if you just say,"I can't eat breading", odds are the waitress will switch it for you, no problem.)

They've got so much there that's good and NOT breaded, no need to sabotage yourself that way.

And congratulations!

Also, the "male chicken" in my last past should have been "maple". The maple-sauce has a LOT of carbs. Same for maple shrimp.

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 06-24-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Ask them to subsitute grilled, or get a skewer of grilled and give someone else your breaded. (if you just say,"I can't eat breading", odds are the waitress will switch it for you, no problem.)

They've got so much there that's good and NOT breaded, no need to sabotage yourself that way.

And congratulations!
Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Congrats on your Graduation!!! I Love RL but my husband hates sea food so I rarely go
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cara7166
Stats: 325/217/200 next goal!
WOE: Atkins for first 65 pounds, then HCG
Start Date: Nov 1, 2011
This is one of my most favorite places to go out on Atkins. You can eat SO much. My favorite is the pick 3 combination. You can have scampi, garlic grilled shrimp, snow crab, or salmon or any combination of these. (A lot of times I will do 2 scampi and 1 snow crab). I bring my own tartar sauce I make from home which I can make for 2 carbs for a whole little personal size tupperware box using mayo, mt olive no sugar relish and southwestern seasoning. I get a salad with blue cheese no croutons and I generally ask for no other side as with all that great seafood, I don't need it. If it is just my daughter & I who are both on atkins, we ask that the bread not be brought to the table because that smell is very tempting - but if with a big group just make sure its not sitting right in front of you!
cara7166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I'm not gonna lie...I know I can't resist those signature cheddar biscuits. I'm going to Red Lobster on July 8th with the Fam. I will be doing some damage control the next day. It could be worse...like when I ate things like that every meal of the day (plus in between).
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I love Red Lobster. Those biscuits are the devil though

I recently went with a friend and I was determined not to eat any bread and I didn't!! It was hard though. My friend ate all of them and I was freaking out (on the inside.) SO MANY CARBS!

I ate some of the cheese sticks. I just picked the breading off. I love their rainbow trout.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocowate View Post
I love Red Lobster. I like getting the Wood Grilled Lobster, Shrimp, and Scallops with a salad with blue cheese dressing (no croutons). I just don't eat the rice that comes with the meal. I am supposed to meet a friend for lunch there one day this week or next week. I am going to try to avoid the Cheddar Bay Biscuit tempation by trying my hand at making the ones from Linda Sue's site.

CARBQUIK CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Last edited by Ocean; 06-24-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
I am going for my son's birthday the end of October. I really like their lobster soup, so all I'm getting is a cup of that. It will be so worth it to be hungry later. Maybe if I am really on track with my loss, I will get a bowl. Talk about pre-planning my meal.

If I'm at a restaurant and can't find anything on the menu-I can usually just order a shrimp cocktail as my entree--if I want to be really good on program.

Being that strict on program, usually only happens at the end of the month if I am worried about my weight.
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
We went there last evening...NASTY!! Must be under new management, lots of changes. Anyway, my usual is grilled lobster tail, grilled shrimp MMMMMM It was some kind of feast and was pretty low carb. Quite Nummy!! But yesterday I tried something different, was cold and over cooked, service was slooooow. Luckily that wasn't my first time or I'd never go back.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 300/258/150
WOE: Low Carb, my way <25 grams a day
Start Date: May 6, 2012
Good luck!! Just stay away from the breaded shrimp/fish and those dang biscuits!!
countrycookinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Great place for low carb. Get everything woodfire grilled, double broc/no rice, and extra whipped butter to dunk the broc in!!! LOVE!! Have fun and congratulations.
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Also, the "male chicken" in my last past should have been "maple". The maple-sauce has a LOT of carbs. Same for maple shrimp.
I must admit I wondered what the carb difference was between a male and female chicken when I first read the post.
I also get the ultimate feast but hubby eats the breaded shrimp for me. We both refuse the biscuits because they are too much of a temptation.
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I just don't eat the rice that comes with the meal.
If you ask, they will substitute broccoli for the rice. Thatss what I always do.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I love Red Lobster. I like getting the Wood Grilled Lobster, Shrimp, and Scallops with a salad with blue cheese dressing (no croutons). I just don't eat the rice that comes with the meal. I am supposed to meet a friend for lunch there one day this week or next week. I am going to try to avoid the Cheddar Bay Biscuit tempation by trying my hand at making the ones from Linda Sue's site.

CARBQUIK CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Almost what I ordered last time and will again! I asked if they could sub more broc for the rice, they did! Yum! We also had them hold the biscuits since DH is GF. Made it easier not seeing them!

Congrats!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Congrats on the graduation!

My favorite there off of the lunch menu, presumably they'd make you a dinner version, is the blackened catfish. It comes with rice pilaf and a side salad, but they're always happy to up the salad size if you skip the rice. They usually volunteer the minute I ask them to leave off the rice, but always agree even if I have to request extra salad.

Their rice pilaf at the location near us is horrible, it's nearly half tiny, rock-hard diced carrots, and the same way over several visits. Much as I love a quality rice dish, even before I went LC I was looking for ways to swap out for that crap!

Red Lobster's menu and detailed nutritional guide are on its web site; you can pick out a good meal, customize it and even plan a couple of back up combinations just in case your first choice isn't available that night.

I'm very lucky in that I hate melted cheese and also that style of biscuit (the squishy rolls like what Grandy's had when I lived in the midwest, now THAT is how it's done!!), so those cheddar bay biscuits aren't even a temptation. For some reason, I'm quite a popular meal companion at Red Lobster... wonder what it could be????

Encouraging a food addict to "just have one treat, so you'll stay motivated and on track" is like encouraging an alcoholic to just have one drink so they won't fall off the wagon.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Ultimate Feast

I used to think that Red Lobster was my saving grace. The UF was my favourite meal less the potatoe and no buns. Turns out that meal has over 3600 mgs of sodium!!! WHAT??? So although the carbs are low, the fat is low..... the sodium will kill ya! OMG, I'm so sad.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
I used to think that Red Lobster was my saving grace. The UF was my favourite meal less the potatoe and no buns. Turns out that meal has over 3600 mgs of sodium!!! WHAT??? So although the carbs are low, the fat is low..... the sodium will kill ya! OMG, I'm so sad.
Sure, that much sodium might cause bloat for a day or two for some people, but it isn't harmful. In fact, it is recommended that people eating a ketogenic diet get 3,000-5,000 mg sodium a day, so it can certainly be fit in to a LC eating plan.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I would go to the Red Lobster site and look at their nutritional info chart. I was soooo glad I did before we went there. Shrimp scampi, doable at 0 carbs. Shrimp skewers, not so much at 47 carbs which means they're coating them with something. The garlic grilled shrimp skewer is less than 1gm though.

It's easy to avoid the obvious carbs (biscuits)...more difficult when it's something you *think* should be low carb and turns out it isn't.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Sodium is not a bad thing on LC.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
SODIUM OKAY???

REALLY???? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that?? How can that much sodium be okay on ANY diet? Health Canada has it at 1500 although they are increasing it to 2000 mg but 3600 at one meal seems very scary. Can I ask where it is written that too much sodium is okay? I'd love to keep going to Red Lobster.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I would go to the Red Lobster site and look at their nutritional info chart. I was soooo glad I did before we went there. Shrimp scampi, doable at 0 carbs. Shrimp skewers, not so much at 47 carbs which means they're coating them with something. The garlic grilled shrimp skewer is less than 1gm though.

It's easy to avoid the obvious carbs (biscuits)...more difficult when it's something you *think* should be low carb and turns out it isn't.

Actually the shrimp skewers are low carb, if you don't eat the rice that is included with the nutrition facts.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
REALLY???? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that?? How can that much sodium be okay on ANY diet? Health Canada has it at 1500 although they are increasing it to 2000 mg but 3600 at one meal seems very scary. Can I ask where it is written that too much sodium is okay? I'd love to keep going to Red Lobster.
Read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek. But even mainstream sources are starting to recognize this. There was an article in Oprah magazine recently that sodium is not unhealthy. Google "Oprah 4 Things Every Woman Should Know about Sodium".