Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocowate
Do I have to exercise?

I have really flat feet and after a little walking im gonna collapse. Will I still lose wieght without exercising?
Chocowate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
You can certainly lose weight without exercise. Weight loss is probably 90% dependent upon dieting rather than exercise. That said, aerobic conditioning and core strengthening pays some serious dividends longer term for your health. There are plenty of exercises which don't demand extensive walking. How about biking, isometrics, swimming, etc???

Good Luck,
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
You can certainly lose weight without exercise. Weight loss is probably 90% dependent upon dieting rather than exercise. That said, aerobic conditioning and core strengthening pays some serious dividends longer term for your health. There are plenty of exercises which don't demand extensive walking. How about biking, isometrics, swimming, etc???

Good Luck,
Thanks
Also I can't afford all that right now plus I got no time on my hands
Old 06-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Exercise does NOT make you lose weight by burning off the calories you eat. It makes you lose weight by adding lean muscle mass, which uses up more energy (even while sleeping) than fat does.

You do not HAVE to exercise to lose weight, but it DOES have many long-term benefits. And don't have time? I don't believe you! I've got a homework assignment for you: five times today, suck in your belly as hard as you can and (while still breathing), hold it until you can't, anymore. You can do it after going to the bathroom, while your doing your pants up.

You don't have to start big. You can do just a little bit more than you're doing now.

If you have access to a pool, spend 15 min walking laps in it. Doesn't have to be fast... This is a therapy they give folks who can barely walk, because it is such a healthy form of exercise that puts almost no stress on your body. Even when my knee were so bad I was bedridden, I could still water-walk.

Yes, you CAN lose without the exercise. But you will be healthier, feel better, and lose easier if you improve your fitness level. This doesn't mean take a spinning class or even join a gym. Start slow and do what works for you.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Exercise does not cause weight loss but weight loss does cause exercise!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Exercise does not cause weight loss but weight loss does cause exercise!!

True, though! We lose, we find more energy, and we WANT to move!

I gotta say, though, nothing beats the feeling of having fat melt away, and finding nicely toned muscle underneath. Especially given where I was a year ago, physically (barely walking, using a cane, and tiring way too easily).
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #7

Gallery: FatCat
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. '99
I had lost 120lbs w/o excercise. But like someone else had said, there are definately benefits for your body if you do something in the way of excercise.
FatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbLife4Me
Stats: 314/269.5/200 Goal by Aug. 14th 249lbs
WOE: LC <20 Carbs
Start Date: April 10, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post

Good Luck,
I agree with what Abby has to say...

I do some exercising, mainly walking. I don't really like to exercise so I started a new hobby to work up a sweet with. I started a garden and work at it for an hour or so everyday, doesn't even seem like exercise to me. I really enjoy it and I'm burning tons of extra calories doing it.
LowCarbLife4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
I found that once I lost some weight, my feet issues disappear and so I started using a tread mill (walking at first). Guess it makes sense that excess weight stresses your knees and feet.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocowate View Post
I have really flat feet and after a little walking im gonna collapse. Will I still lose wieght without exercising?
Yes you will, but chances are:
- you will be at higher risk of flabby skin
- you will be slimmer but still unable to bring yourself out of trouble if disaster strikes, it's called preparedness to survival
- not to offend anyone who lost weight without exercizing but I'd (personal opinion) chose a trained body over an untrained, any time.

I see the problem with your feet, it must not be pleasant at all.
Can you swim? If not, can you do water aerobics classes (that must take the load off your feet).
Have you ever tried the elliptical? While I'm not a trainer, I noticed when I used it my feet wouldn't move at all, just my legs/arms, could it work?
Can you row? That too doesn't make you move your feet.

I'd rather work around my difficulties rather than just plain give up on something.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRainy View Post
I think that we're ALL at risk of flabby skin regardless of exercise. Working out can definitely help with toning, but getting rid of skin folds requires a plastic surgeon.......
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Exercise does NOT make you lose weight by burning off the calories you eat. It makes you lose weight by adding lean muscle mass, which uses up more energy (even while sleeping) than fat does.

You do not HAVE to exercise to lose weight, but it DOES have many long-term benefits. And don't have time? I don't believe you! I've got a homework assignment for you: five times today, suck in your belly as hard as you can and (while still breathing), hold it until you can't, anymore. You can do it after going to the bathroom, while your doing your pants up.

You don't have to start big. You can do just a little bit more than you're doing now.

If you have access to a pool, spend 15 min walking laps in it. Doesn't have to be fast... This is a therapy they give folks who can barely walk, because it is such a healthy form of exercise that puts almost no stress on your body. Even when my knee were so bad I was bedridden, I could still water-walk.

Yes, you CAN lose without the exercise. But you will be healthier, feel better, and lose easier if you improve your fitness level. This doesn't mean take a spinning class or even join a gym. Start slow and do what works for you.
In 1 month i promise lol. I'm moving soon so we have to pack and get ready.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRainy View Post
- you will be slimmer but still unable to bring yourself out of trouble if disaster strikes, it's called preparedness to survival
- not to offend anyone who lost weight without exercizing but I'd (personal opinion) chose a trained body over an untrained, any time.

I see the problem with your feet, it must not be pleasant at all.
Can you swim? If not, can you do water aerobics classes (that must take the load off your feet).
Have you ever tried the elliptical? While I'm not a trainer, I noticed when I used it my feet wouldn't move at all, just my legs/arms, could it work?
Can you row? That too doesn't make you move your feet.

I'd rather work around my difficulties rather than just plain give up on something.
Would working out with dumbells work?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, it would -- dumbbells are GREAT!

And why does the abdominal exercise I gave you have to wait a month?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Do you know a good work out plan with dumbbells? Like how many reps. Also that exercise is boring
Old 06-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Do it anyway -- it's good for you! Rofl

("boring", she says....)

I'm not the one to go to about dumbbells -- try the muscle matters forum. At this point, I mostly do bicep curls and some tricep exercises with them. Generally, you want to do 3 sets of 10 if youre trying to increase strength and "bulk up", and up the weight when that gets easy. For tone without bulk, you want 3 sets of 15 at a lower (but still challenging) weight.

Back in Jan or so, I'd found a really useful body-building site, where you could select a muscle group, and they'd show you exercises for it. You could specify body-only, dumbells, kettle bells, cables, machine, etc. And they'd generally have more than one exercise available. Unfortunately, my comp died in Feb. Try googling "butterfly press exercise", I think that's how I found it.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Do it anyway -- it's good for you! Rofl

("boring", she says....)

I'm not the one to go to about dumbbells -- try the muscle matters forum. At this point, I mostly do bicep curls and some tricep exercises with them. Generally, you want to do 3 sets of 10 if youre trying to increase strength and "bulk up", and up the weight when that gets easy. For tone without bulk, you want 3 sets of 15 at a lower (but still challenging) weight.

Back in Jan or so, I'd found a really useful body-building site, where you could select a muscle group, and they'd show you exercises for it. You could specify body-only, dumbells, kettle bells, cables, machine, etc. And they'd generally have more than one exercise available. Unfortunately, my comp died in Feb. Try googling "butterfly press exercise", I think that's how I found it.
Oh ok thanks

But isn't that only like a 5 min workout? That's all I need?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I have really flat feet too and I also have an ankle that swells up from time to time and hurts if I walk too much. I can still handle walking a mile or so a day. I just have to go at a slow pace. I don't do it very often just because I get bored on a treadmill and it is hot here. I also exercise by peddling on a mini exercise bike for an hour a day. It was only $20 at Walmart and I can watch tv and read while peddling. It doesn't bother my ankle or flat feet at all.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I have really flat feet too and I also have an ankle that swells up from time to time and hurts if I walk too much. I can still handle walking a mile or so a day. I just have to go at a slow pace. I don't do it very often just because I get bored on a treadmill and it is hot here. I also exercise by peddling on a mini exercise bike for an hour a day. It was only $20 at Walmart and I can watch tv and read while peddling. It doesn't bother my ankle or flat feet at all.

How hard of a workout is the exercise bike?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Choc, some is better than none. And you were saying you couldn't exercise because you didn't have enough time. Now your complaining that it's not long enough for you!

Start with 5 minutes. Throw some crunches and planks in for good measure. You'll work your way up.

What you DON'T want to do -- especially with all the excuses you've been tossing out -- is start off with a really hard, intense program. That way lies finding excuses to quit.

Start with a routine that's too little and too easy for there to be any excuse to skip it. Within a few days or weeks, you'll find yourself looking for ways to expand it, instead of excuses to skip it.

And I love those little peddaler things! I have one, will sit on the couch pedaling when I watch tv. I have bad knees to the point I sometimes can't walk. Like the water-walking, it's considered a non-impact exercise that still has massive benefits for the joint. I keep the resistance and my rpm very low, but keep going for an entire 2 hour movie. I'm not allowed to couch-sit without it moving.

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 06-24-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I would like to add to the conversation to say that the O.P. appears to have just begun her/his new woe and it is often a 'deal breaker' if one takes on too much at once. Particularly someone who has said that movement is difficult at this point.

Not only that, it takes time to become keto adapted (2 to 6 wks. of absolute compliancy) and exercise may be even more difficult until that point has been reached. In my experience, it was really great to get to the point with a bit of weight loss and more importantly, reduction of inflammation to actually want to move more and allow that to develop.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Choc, some is better than none. And you were saying you couldn't exercise because you didn't have enough time. Now your complaining that it's not long enough for you!

Start with 5 minutes. Throw some crunches and planks in for good measure. You'll work your way up.

What you DON'T want to do -- especially with all the excuses you've been tossing out -- is start off with a really hard, intense program. That way lies finding excuses to quit.

Start with a routine that's too little and too easy for there to be any excuse to skip it. Within a few days or weeks, you'll find yourself looking for ways to expand it, instead of excuses to skip it.

And I love those little peddaler things! I have one, will sit on the couch pedaling when I watch tv. I have bad knees to the point I sometimes can't walk. Like the water-walking, it's considered a non-impact exercise that still has massive benefits for the joint. I keep the resistance and my rpm very low, but keep going for an entire 2 hour movie. I'm not allowed to couch-sit without it moving.
:P
How much do the bikes cost?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

They vary.

Google "mini exercise bike", and you'll find a bunch.

This is just the foot-part, and sits on the floor. More expensive models will have electronics and track stuff like "miles pedaled", but you don't really need that. A simple mechanical model can go for $20.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:

I did that abdominal exercise right after reading your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
You found an exercise peddle bike for $20 at Walmart?? I gotta check that out!

What it is with exercise is that losing weight makes you smaller and feel better and exercise makes you MOVE better. When people are heavier and can't move much or do much without getting out of breath, exercise builds up those muscles and stamina as you lose the weight. Just losing weight alone won't make you more fit. It will make you smaller, but not more fit. The fitness part comes from exercise. It's like if someone is bedridden for a while because they are sick and their muscles atrophy, once they get well, they can't automatically walk a mile or do a lot pf physical activity. They are no longer ill but their muscles are still weak from the inactivity. That has to be built back up through exercise. It's the same way with inactivity from being heavy, once you lose the weight by itself, you still will get breathless if you do any physical activity even though you are smaller because that has to be built up separately from exercise. Without exercise you will be thin but still weak from inactivity from when you were heavier. That's why weight loss and exercise go hand in hand. You CAN lose weight without exercise, but you will just be thinner and still unable to walk a mile or will still get breathless playing with the kids or doing any physical activity. It's like healing a broken leg without the physical therapy to build it's strength back up. Plus building up the muscles helps speed up the weight loss because muscle burns calories, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. But you can still lose weight without exercise, weight loss without exercise is better than no weight loss at all.

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 06-24-2012 at 04:23 PM..
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I would like to add to the conversation to say that the O.P. appears to have just begun her/his new woe and it is often a 'deal breaker' if one takes on too much at once. Particularly someone who has said that movement is difficult at this point.

Not only that, it takes time to become keto adapted (2 to 6 wks. of absolute compliancy) and exercise may be even more difficult until that point has been reached. In my experience, it was really great to get to the point with a bit of weight loss and more importantly, reduction of inflammation to actually want to move more and allow that to develop.
Yes, that's a good point. If you are just starting out, you don't have to try to become an expert on everything at once. First tackle the weight loss part, but also keep in mind that at some point down the road after you get smaller that you will want to exercise to build up stamina and muscle to go with it to make the transformation complete. But if exercise is too hard or too painful in the beginning then don't worry about exercising yet, focus on losing the weight.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 289/257/150
WOE: Very low carb and low calorie
Start Date: 18 June 2012
I agree with the others that say that you can lose weight without exercise, but there are so many benefits. I really feel for you, though, with the physical pain that comes from exercising when we are very heavy. My routine includes jumping jacks and I've had to modify my workout clothes so my fat doesn't slap around; otherwise I get deep cracks in my skin that get infected. Not fun! BUT...I wouldn't let that stop me!

I have a suggestion for you...if you can scrounge up $20, go to www.joycevedral.com and get her "Fat Burning Workout" video. It is strength training, so you'll be building muscle without having to jump around or hurt your feet. Do things when YOU are ready, or the exercise routine won't stick.
LumpySpacePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I have exercised for years and when i started this woe, at first I was at a lose of the energy I DID not have (at first). I think my body was getting use to the change-and i had been exercising for a long time-weights, cardio, pilates and cardio/weights. But once I was adapted to the woe my energy is so much better throughout my workouts. So at first it is very hard for your body going through so much change-or at least that was my experience. I think exercise is imporant part of the whole picture not just for weight loss, but it does help with that somewhat too. Most weight loss is from your woe but exercise is key in total health. Once you start it is addicting, I have to say I look forward to workingout (most days)!!Good Luck in your journey!!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: ongoing
I have a ruptured achilles tendion since St Pats Day,wearing brace but still have to walk everyday.Have to exercise to keep from gaining,have type 2 diabetes.I lost 170 lbs and worked out at least twice a day,swimming,walking,strength training.I regained when I stopped exercising due to injuries,I think exercise the key to losing weight,plus diet
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Resistance bands and dumbells are great. Since you are just starting out, I can understand not feeling up to a lot of exercise. Don't try too much too soon, for now just try to move around more if you want. Use the dumbells if you feel like it. Resistance bands are great and can travel with you. Don't pressure yourself just yet, like others have said your body is adjusting to your new WOE.
Personally, I have always hated cardio because of all the bouncing around but I am learning to love it. Strength training is key to having a strong body and increases your bone density.
I have low arches, and a while back bought some minimalist running shoes that allow my feet to bend and move naturally. After using them a couple times (and being sore in places I didn't know could be sore) the muscles in my feet and legs are better trained for activity and I feel my feet getting stronger. I have to recommend these kinds of shoes for everyone. They are great and helped me learn how to move my body correctly.
There are tons of websites, youtube videos, and magazine articles showing proper form for different weight lifting exercises. I follow along a video series similar to p90x and have learned a lot.
Give yourself time. When you and your body are ready you'll find the time and find what works for you.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotten
No.

Okay, for me no. I've been through this several times and never really exercised. I do find myself moving around a bit more, the more weight i loose.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote