LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
What do you think of this?

I need to make low carbing a way of life instead of a diet, because

- this is the only way of eating that works for me as I am insulin resistant and prediabetic;
- I dont' want to regain the weight again;
- I struggle with binge eating when I'm not doing low carb; and
- the "diet" mentality makes me binge whenever I feel that I've cheated on my diet.

Generally, I lose well on around 40g of carbs per day, I don't really need to stick to Induction levels to lose, from previous experience.

Here's my question: in the interest of this feeling like a lifestyle instead of a diet, would it work for me to eat zero carb (or as close thereto as possible) during the day and then have a normal low carb meal with my family in the evening including lots of vegetables and salad? So I would basically be eating all my carbs (veg and salad) in the evening in one go, rather than spacing it during the day?

I do realize that this is not ideal and that one should space the carbs over the course of the day, however I do feel that this would give me a more "normal" experience with my family during our evening meal and also that if I restrict myself to my small amount of veggie carbs during my evening meal only, any resulting insulin response of craving that might occur will occur during the night and won't bother me as I'll be asleep. (I don't binge at night and never feel the need to eat anything after dinner, even when I'm eating carbs and binge eating.)

Do you think this could work for me, and does anyone else do something similar?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
Well the key is to do what you can live with. But a rule of thumb I use is to avoid more than 12 grams of carbs in any 2 hour period to avoid insulin spikes. Now everyone is different, so you might be able to handle the 40 without problems but ... best to experiment to see.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Big_Al gives good advice. I also try to space out my carbs - but I AM diabetic and take insulin. The only thing you can do Changeling is experiment and try out eating your carbs at dinner and see if you have a problem with it.

Dr. Bernstein says that people are generally the most insulin resistant in the morning so generally I only eat a couple of carbs then and the remainder at the other meals. If your experiment doesn't work out, maybe you could have a 1/2c of veggies or a very small salad at lunch and then the rest with your family.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Jenny Ruhl suggests using a blood sugar monitor before, 1 hour after, and 2 hours after some meals to see how different things affect you. Ideally, one would want to keep blood sugar levels normal (below 120) at all times, and at miminum keep blood sugar levels below 140 to avoid damage to one's body from high blood sugars. You could pick up a meter at a drug store, if you don't already use one, and see what sort of results you'd get on a trial basis. And, of course, keep an eye on the scale during the trial period, too. I imagine you would also try to avoid some optional side dishes like bread and potatoes and sweet desserts when eating with your family, too. If this doesn't work out for you, you're no worse off than you were before, and it might work out very well for you.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
...maybe you could have a 1/2c of veggies or a very small salad at lunch and then the rest with your family.
Now that sounds like a great idea! Thanks, I'll do that. I'm thinking of something like 2 boiled eggs with mayo for breakfast, and then a small tuna/chicken/bacon salad for lunch. For supper I generally serve meat, 2 types of veg and a large green salad, I try not to feed my family carbs on purpose. If they want to buy/prepare/eat it, they're more than welcome and I don't comment or force my ways on anyone else (none of them are insulin resistant), but seeing as I cook all the dinners, I get to choose what we eat!
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Changeling- You might want to check out the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet (CAD) under "Other Plans" here on LCF because what you describe is almost exactly what the Hellers (authors) prescribe.

I happen to be very sensitive to carbs and have to stay at about 20g a day, but I've found that if I have a restaurant meal with some wine and even dessert, I'm not usually 'affected' by those extra carbs.

I can only do this occasionally, but someone with less sensitivity to carbs might be able to do that on a daily basis--as CAD people do.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
I follow my woe pretty strickly, however, when I do eat something carby, I try not to the following meal, that way I'm not to affected by the meal.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
I eat most of my calories and carbs at night.. It works for me ... I eat a huge bowl of broccoli chicken and shiratake noodles w walden farms BBQ sauce followed by sf jello and almond milk ... I don't eat alot in the early am but that's just me I've made this woe work for me and I really think that's what it's all aboutGood luck to you sweetheart... There's no harm in trying something new
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Changeling- You might want to check out the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet (CAD) under "Other Plans" here on LCF because what you describe is almost exactly what the Hellers (authors) prescribe.

I happen to be very sensitive to carbs and have to stay at about 20g a day, but I've found that if I have a restaurant meal with some wine and even dessert, I'm not usually 'affected' by those extra carbs.

I can only do this occasionally, but someone with less sensitivity to carbs might be able to do that on a daily basis--as CAD people do.
This is one of the methods Dr. Atkins recommends for "cheating". He says the key is to be DONE with your "cheat" and sated within an hour. (I allow myself 45 min, even knowing that HE had cut 15 min off for safety. lol) He references (and gives credit to) the Hellers in discussing it.

For me, I find dinner is the hardest meal for me to actually EAT, at this stage. Breakfast is a "must". And lunch is right after my big workout most days, so I'm ravenous enough that I HAVE to eat. Dinner? Eh, OK, maybe I'll have some... ~laughs~

Do what works for you. It sounds like this might be a good answer. Listen to your body, see how you respond, and tweak things till it works!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I hear 'bargaining' in your post. Personally, I would consider this a bad idea for you because of this
Quote:
I am insulin resistant and prediabetic
. You will not be maximizing the benefits of eating the way you suggest.

The longer you stick to your low carb woe, the easier it will become. I would suggest that you read Dr. Bernstein's work or catch him on youtube. The guy is pretty amazing...

Last edited by clackley; 06-23-2012 at 05:54 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Thanks for the link/video. I'll watch it a bit later. Been wanting to learn more about Dr. Bernstein.... Just didn't know where to start. (I hear his name so much on here, but know nothing about him.)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote