Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loop4yah
In Ketosis. Exercising, And NOT Losing Weight! Help!

Hi Everyone!!

I'm at a point where I just don't know what to do and I'm pretty frustrated with low-carb dieting and I feel like I'm just about to throw the towel in.

Almost 3 weeks ago, I started my low-carb WOE, and have been testing in the dark purple for Ketosis with the Ketostix at around 80mg since day 2. I've been getting these results everyday now since day 2.

To add the icing on the cake I have been doing high intensity workouts. I'm doing insanity almost 6 days a week. I use a heart rate monitor to measure the calories I'm burning and I'm burning anywhere to 600 to 900 calories a day.

And here is where the frustration comes in; ZERO WEIGHT LOSS!!! Not one little pound. I weigh the same as I did when I started this!!!

I drink a gallon of water per day so I know its can't be because I'm not getting enough water. I'm out of school for summer break. So I'm not working just enjoying summer so stress can't be a factor. I get plenty of sleep. But I do eat 1 of those Joseph's middle eastern bakery pita breads everyday. I have half in the morning and then half at dinner. But I just can't see those keeping me from losing weight seeing how I'm burning so many calories in one day.

Not only that but I'm only consuming any where between 1200-1500 calories a day.

This is normally what I eat...

Breakfast: 3 pieces of bacon
2 fried eggs
sprinkle of cheese
half of Joseph's middles eastern pita bread

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad w/ bacon bits

Dinner: Grilled hamburger
other half of pita bread
asparagus

Someone, Anyone, please help me figure this out. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful at this this time. I just don't know how much longer I can do this with no results. Ketosis AND exercise ARE NOT WORKING at least not for me!

Here are my stats:

Female, 20
Height: 5'7
Weight: 168.4 lbs <<-- have been this since day 1!!
BofyFat = 29.5% <<-- have been this since day 1!!
Muscle Mass= 35.9<<--have been this since day 1!!

I don't understand why the scale won't budge. What is it I'm possibly doing wrong!

Maybe low carb just isn't for everyone. Which is going to make me so depressed b/c I really wanted this to work. I was all in it but now with no results its hard for me to stay motivated.

I don't get it!

Help
loop4yah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monk
Stats: 224/221/145
WOE: Low Carb! <3
Start Date: (orig '06-264*'08-150) 02/18/13
I would ditch the pita bread and more than likely you need to actually up your calories. Especially if you are doing insanity, (which hi-5 for that!) you really need more calories and on LC fat is important, you NEED fat to burn the fat.. throw in some avocado on that burger, fry those eggs in coconut oil.. things like that.. Plus I don't think you have that much to lose and you will more than likely lose slowly.. How do you FEEL on LC? that is most important!
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: johnsa37
Stats: 155.4 (post-partum) /155.4/130
WOE: Low carb to drop the baby weight :)
Start Date: Dec. 1, 2014
I think those pitas are around 14 net carbs (15 - 1 fiber g). I would try kicking those for a week or two and see how the scale responds!
johnsa37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Actually they are 8 carbs... 4 net carbs... 4g fiber
Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie15
Stats: 230/224/150
WOE: Low Carbs/ Tend toward Paleo
Start Date: August 2013
First of all, I agree with everyone above - ditch the bread. Second, as someone who does HIIT workouts and the like, I'm familiar with what it does to your body. You are in the beginning phases where your muscles are likely retaining water and you can't seem to lose. These things take time, please give yourself a little longer with a workout program like this to see a big response. Also, definitely try eating MORE. Seems counterintuitive, but it works. I actually had to up my intake to 1800 cals a day to compensate for the crazy workouts I do. And then I found my body was more willing to let go of the pounds. Hang in there, you are doing a wonderful thing for yourself!

"Being fat is hard. Eating low carb is hard. Pick your hard!"
Blondie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Besides the water retention of HIT, you are stressing your body which increases cortisol. If you think by doing HIT at that frequency you'll lose more weight you are wrong. You need to allow your body adequate rest between sessions to reduce the stress and allow your body to heal.

You are in a path to quick burnout and injury. Make haste a little more slowly.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I was only following the insanity guide. Which literally has you working out 6 days a week with 1 out of the 6 being a yoga day and then the 7th is a rest day...

Its just so frustrating how my friend can do this diet lose crazy amount of weight and never even worked out once. I know everyone is different....I just want to be a little envious right now lol
Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stellarexplorer
Stats: Male 6'-0" 193/167/170
WOE: no added sugar/ no starches
Start Date: March 21, 2012
I am a very skeptical person. I remain skeptical -- even with excellent results personally -- about some of the purported LC weight loss mechanisms.

So even with that, I have to agree with the above. The bread does you no good in this effort -- if it isn't for you, you deserve to know you made a full effort. You don't want to look back later, having given up LC, and ask "I wonder if it could have been the bread?" I also would add avocado.

Consider: are you eating little enough that your body thinks its starving, and is going into conserving mode? A little more to eat, LC, may help.

Good luck!
stellarexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 10,2012
This won't be a popular notion but I've found for me that I NEVER lose weight with diet AND exercise.

Knock off the exercise and the weight loss is great for me.

I'm waiting to get down closer to my goal weight and then add in some strength training for toning. I'm thinking that if I don't lose weight then (due to exercise, water retention, muscle building), it won't be as big a stressor to not see numbers move. Plus I know people look better with strength training. There is a member on here named Candiflip that showed some really cool body and size clothes changes doing Jullian Michaels' ripped when she was close in to her goal weight. Here's a link to her success story: Candiflip goes from size 22 to almost 2 in ONE YEAR!

I also just read in the "Art and Science of Low Carb Performance" that the authors have found 4 gold standard studies that show that the body's metabolism is slower with exercise than without (see end of chapter four in the book). They weren't discouraging the notion of exercising just the notion that exercising increases ones metabolism when in fact, it does the opposite. Even worse, now you're hungrier. GRR!

Last edited by HappyHappyJoyJoy; 06-21-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: made edit mistake
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Claire430
Stats: (highest wt. 194) 162/144.2/140 5'4
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: restart 1/3/2014
I do think you need to ditch the bread. I also agree with adding in more fats in the form of avocado, EV olive oil and EV coconut oil. I'm not sure how you cook your eggs but frying them in some good old butter (Kerrygold if you can find it) is great for adding in some calories and keeping you feeling satisfied. Doing HIIT six days a week does not give your body adequate rest time. Stressing your muscles everyday and not giving them time to repair could result in overtraining. We actually need rest in order to see results.
Claire430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Just a bit of encouragement. Through my entire weight loss journey (I am at goal but just "for fun" seeing if I can lose a bit more) I lost weight ONLY 1 week out of every 6 weeks.
My records looked like this;
Week 1: -5 pounds
Week 2: 0
Week 3: 0
Week 4: 0
Week 5: 0
Week 6: -5 pounds

Reapeat this for an ENTIRE year. It is frustrating but over the course of the year I lost 35 pounds. Keep at it!! The weight will come off.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Maybe you don't tolerate the bread so well. Can you eat your sandwich wrapped in lettuce leaf? Also, are you losing inches instead of pounds? If you are putting on muscle mass with work out and losing fat at the same time, you may lose inches but actually weigh more by the scale.

If ditching the bread doesn't help, I would check out the Atkins' Fat fast...to get it started
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tracymac106
Stats: 186.6/168.1/160
WOE: Low Carb, Low Fat WOE
Start Date: 6/4/12 down 6.0 so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire430 View Post
I do think you need to ditch the bread. I also agree with adding in more fats in the form of avocado, EV olive oil and EV coconut oil. I'm not sure how you cook your eggs but frying them in some good old butter (Kerrygold if you can find it) is great for adding in some calories and keeping you feeling satisfied. Doing HIIT six days a week does not give your body adequate rest time. Stressing your muscles everyday and not giving them time to repair could result in overtraining. We actually need rest in order to see results.
why kerrygold butter? what is different about it?
tracymac106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
This won't be a popular notion but I've found for me that I NEVER lose weight with diet AND exercise.

Knock off the exercise and the weight loss is great for me.

I'm waiting to get down closer to my goal weight and then add in some strength training for toning. I'm thinking that if I don't lose weight then (due to exercise, water retention, muscle building), it won't be as big a stressor to not see numbers move. Plus I know people look better with strength training. There is a member on here named Candiflip that showed some really cool body and size clothes changes doing Jullian Michaels' ripped when she was close in to her goal weight. Here's a link to her success story: Candiflip goes from size 22 to almost 2 in ONE YEAR!

I also just read in the "Art and Science of Low Carb Performance" that the authors have found 4 gold standard studies that show that the body's metabolism is slower with exercise than without (see end of chapter four in the book). They weren't discouraging the notion of exercising just the notion that exercising increases ones metabolism when in fact, it does the opposite. Even worse, now you're hungrier. GRR!
Same here, I can be chugging along losing weight just great then throw in more than 3 days of exercise and the loss stops, I do tighten and tone up though. I would like to start exercising again but will wait till I'm within 5 pounds of my goal then go at it with gusto.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Claire430
Stats: (highest wt. 194) 162/144.2/140 5'4
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: restart 1/3/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymac106 View Post
why kerrygold butter? what is different about it?
Kerrygold butter is made with milk from grass-fed cows, it is delish! It makes everything taste better and it is better for you.
Claire430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heheher View Post
Just a bit of encouragement. Through my entire weight loss journey (I am at goal but just "for fun" seeing if I can lose a bit more) I lost weight ONLY 1 week out of every 6 weeks.
My records looked like this;
Week 1: -5 pounds
Week 2: 0
Week 3: 0
Week 4: 0
Week 5: 0
Week 6: -5 pounds

Reapeat this for an ENTIRE year. It is frustrating but over the course of the year I lost 35 pounds. Keep at it!! The weight will come off.
Rinse and repeat!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
+1 for ditching the pita and giving yourself more rest from exercising.

you might want to check out a BMR calculator online. some people are surprised what their minimum caloric levels are. you might not be eating enough... for a lot of people, the simplified "calories in calories out" theory of weight loss doesn't apply 100% of the time.

are you taking measurements? HappyHappyJoyJoy makes a good point; you may be losing inches and tightening up although your weight isn't changing perceptibly.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katy
Stats: 299/279/150
WOE: Primal Blueprint 80/20
Start Date: Restart 12/29/13 at 290.5 lbs
yup get rid of the pita shells. avocados are yummy and fry the eggs in butter
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Imo its probably the exercise more than the lc pitaThe pita has 4 carbs and your activity level is high enough to compensate for it.Id say your body is in shock,muscles torn down and holding fluids,and its not had time to adjust to your new routine.New diet,heavy exercise,your stressing your system to the max.
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

So I'm going to cut the bread out... But I keep hearing that I might be working out too much. I was only following the plan that was laid out with the insanity tapes. But I will cut that back to 4 days a week and see what happens from there! I really don't want to cut it out all together because I really am starting to enjoy working out! I will also add the avocado and coconut oil (not sure how to incorporate that yet...eggs fried in coconut oil doesn't sound too tasty haha)

Thanks for the feed back!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Loop, I agree with the others about avoiding grains. It is possible that you need more meat, especially if you are working out a great deal. Some of the recommendations for how much protein are to eat 1.2 grams of PRO per Kilo of ideal body weight, for athletic folks, or even more. I am sedentary and eat .8 gram per Kg of body weight. I, too, am 5' 7" and use 60 Kg as my ideal weight. (Sometimes I weigh less or more, but use that weight for convenience.) I post that so you have an idea for something concrete to experiment with.

One ounce of cooked meat has 6 grams of PRO. One ounce of cheese or an egg, too, are 6g of PRO.

Would you be willing to track how many grams of protein, of carbs, and of fat, per meal, and then note down how you feel after you eat? And if it helped your workouts? You could experiment with portion sizes and make notes as to how you feel, athletic performance, etc.

I find that keeping notes on what I eat, what time, and the grams, and how I feel after I eat a great help in pinpointing what I could better.

All the best to you.

Moderate amount PRO: Measured FAT: Very Low CHO = Low Insulin Diet

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-22-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by loop4yah View Post
Actually they are 8 carbs... 4 net carbs... 4g fiber
Actually, the pitas are 5 for one. 8 net for the wraps. I love those things.

Just have to play around and find what works for you. For me, I have found that working out has nothing to do with weight loss.

Last edited by LCWizard; 06-22-2012 at 07:02 PM..
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Define "sprinkle". Is it a 1/4cup, 1/2cup or a guestamate? Ive noticed that since I got a handle on my food intake my accurate measurements, Ive dropped weight from a monthlong stall.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tjsm75
Hello,
I was just wondering if you continued your LCD and Insanity. If so, when did you finally start seeing the weight loss? I have been having the same problem. I don't think it was the bread because I don't eat any....I have noticed inches changing but no weigh loss. I would love to hear how your progress went.

In the same boat with you.
tjsm75 is offline   Reply With Quote