Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Food with Erythritol. More please! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/775776-food-erythritol-more-please.html)

HeavenDenied 06-20-2012 02:44 PM

Food with Erythritol. More please!

I've seen so much positive feedback with foods containing Erythritol because it tastes much like sugar, has close to zero impact on your blood/sugar levels, and also doesn't cause tooth decay (like sugar). The only problem is, there is not enough companies out there making products with this ingredient. I'd like to see some Ice Cream or a Milk Shake made with Erythritol. Or teas and sodas! So many companies use other sugar alcohols like Maltitol which some people claim actually kick them out of ketosis and cause stalls because of the effect on the GI.

Does anyone mind listing a couple of products they know of that use Erythritol and have a very low carb reading? I don't mind if they are shakes, meal bars, soda, sugar-free jello (would be great substitute for Aspartame, YUCK!), whipped cream, sauces like barbecue or A1 steak sauce, salad dressings or BEEF JERKY!

This needs to become a standard within the companies who produce low-carb products for low-carb people :)

If anyone has any ideas or has discovered foods miraculously cured with Erythritol or a similar low-impact Polyol (sugar alcohol) please make your voice heard here :D

Thank you!
Luke

Janknitz 06-20-2012 03:03 PM

I really haven't seen many products on the shelves with Erithrytol or Xylitol, which are the two sweeteners I'm willing to eat at this point.

I do make my own, though. Because the Erithrytol is crystalized, it works fine for home made ice cream. I haven't tried using it in "baked" goods but imagine it would be OK in them, too. And it does melt if heated gently. I'm planning to try it on homemade jerky soon.

I think it's not used widely in commercial foods because it's SO expensive. I cringe every time I have to buy it, but that's good because it makes me use it sparingly.

Ocean 06-20-2012 03:25 PM

All I can think of are Chocorite Chocolate Covered Nuts that you can order from Netrition. I love those things.

johnsa37 06-20-2012 03:31 PM

I can find DeMet's chocolates sweetened with erythritol at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens in the sugar free candy section.

My favorite is the turtles!

Dredaye9 06-20-2012 04:38 PM

"Yes to cookies" from neutrition
I agree they should make some more products LC w ethyritol instead of malitol... In a perfect world....
Truvia is a sweetener made w ethyritol

ravenrose 06-21-2012 05:04 PM

Hershey's makes a chocolate syrup sweetened with erythritol, but it's awful. Of course I don't like Hershey's chocolate syrup with sugar either.

Monin sugar free syrups use erythritol, but they are pretty much the same as DaVinci and Torani using splenda, but more expensive. Not sure it's a big whoopee product... I like the blackberry, triple sec, and pomegranite, which are not available in the other brands though.

ravenrose 06-21-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macc0021 (Post 15740250)
I can find DeMet's chocolates sweetened with erythritol at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens in the sugar free candy section.

the only one I see online is turtles. do they make any others?

this has some maltitol too, that's the first ingredient in the caramel part of the candy. but still better than ALL maltitol, I guess!

johnsa37 06-21-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 15743205)
the only one I see online is turtles. do they make any others?

this has some maltitol too, that's the first ingredient in the caramel part of the candy. but still better than ALL maltitol, I guess!

Hmm I know I have found the plain chocolates filled with just caramel at Walmart... but you're right, it's not on the website. That's weird. And yes, the caramel part has maltitol in it! :(

grxlr8 03-14-2013 02:01 PM

Erythritol BBQ Sauce

FYI this is a new item on the market made with erythritol
Grandma Koyote's BBQ Sauce No Sugar Added 20 oz.
UPC: 0-89076-49284-1
Carried at select Albertson's Stores

SweetMe678 03-14-2013 02:14 PM

For those who like energy drinks. . . Monster has a new one in a white can called zero made with erythritol It is kind of citrusy.

Rhubarb 03-14-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMe678 (Post 16316290)
For those who like energy drinks. . . Monster has a new one in a white can called zero made with erythritol It is kind of citrusy.

So Delicious makes a sugar free coconut milk ice cream with erythritol. (The cooling effect that some people get is obviously irrelevant to ice cream.) The chocolate chip mint is particularly good.

cfine 03-14-2013 05:42 PM

I just found a soda today called Blue Sky sweetened with erythritol and stevia. It's hands down the best no calories soda I've ever had.

JMacB 03-14-2013 05:52 PM

I was in whole foods and they had a bottled green tea sweetened with erythritol. Nice to be able to grab and go.

GME 03-14-2013 06:43 PM

I think Vitamin Water Zero is made with erythrinol. Either that or Sobe. I drink them both and I don't remember.

evilmarketeer 03-14-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macc0021 (Post 15740250)

Sorry, not any more. They switched from erythritol to maltitol, and now their candies make me sick. I think it was a cost-cutting measure. If the package says "New Improved Recipe," do yourself a favor and stay away!

Zevia and Blue Sky both use a combination of stevia and erythritol. Sobe Lifewater is also made with erythritol. Netrition has some xylitol candies that are not too bad. That's all I've found so far.

danifantom 03-15-2013 06:14 AM

The Chocoperfection dark chocolate bars from Netrition are ridiculously delicious and use it.

Chocolate Rose 03-16-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMe678 (Post 16316290)

Someone at work had this yesterday and checked the ingredients. It's sweetened with sucralose.:sad:

My manager said that Walmart has a stevia sweetened energy drink but she couldn't think of the name. She thought it had an "amazon" sounding name. I'm going to see if I can find it today.

SweetMe678 03-16-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose (Post 16319013)
Someone at work had this yesterday and checked the ingredients. It's sweetened with sucralose.:sad:

My manager said that Walmart has a stevia sweetened energy drink but she couldn't think of the name. She thought it had an "amazon" sounding name. I'm going to see if I can find it today.

I'll have to re-read the ingredients! It was at night :D
I just grabbed the can out of the garbage, it does list sucrolose as an ingredient, way down the list, must be why I missed it.

HeavenDenied 03-16-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grxlr8 (Post 16316270)
FYI this is a new item on the market made with erythritol
Grandma Koyote's BBQ Sauce No Sugar Added 20 oz.
UPC: 0-89076-49284-1
Carried at select Albertson's Stores

Do you happen to have the nutritional info on this product? I did a search and couldn't come up with any results. Sounds amazing and I do miss BBQ Sauce!

I'm sure most of you have heard of Zevia Cola. I've been drinking them for quite some time now, also sweetened with Erythritol and they have an impressive list of flavors. Personal faves are Grape, Root Beer and Dr Zevia (Dr Pepper).

I've also had the So Delicious ice cream. It's AMAZING. Butter Pecan is my fave, Chocolate being second. I couldn't find the mint or I would have definitely tried it.

The Hershey's Chocolate Syrup isn't bad. I use it in unsweetened almond milk and serve it very cold. You almost mistake it for chocolate milk.

Looks like Erythritol is becoming more popular, finally!

Chocolate Rose 03-16-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose (Post 16319013)

I looked for the energy drink and did not see what she could possibly have been talking about. They had AMP, Rockstar, Red Bull and one other one that I can't think of. Nothing with stevia.

Girlieschmoo 03-18-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhubarb (Post 16316335)
So Delicious makes a sugar free coconut milk ice cream with erythritol. (The cooling effect that some people get is obviously irrelevant to ice cream.) The chocolate chip mint is particularly good.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! I only use erythritol or the chicory based sweeteners and up til now, had to make my own ice cream (which I don't mind but sometimes you just want to not work hard for something, kwim?!). Anyhoo, found this at our grocers' yesterday and LOVE it! Just makes me so happy :hugs:

raindroproses 03-18-2013 05:33 PM

I know my Body Logix chocolate protein powder is sweetened with a blend of Erythritol and Stevia... I'm not sure if Stevia is on your safe list or not, but I find their products to be really tasty for making my egg creams/protein shakes! Only 1 gram of sugar, 3 total carbs in a scoop :)

Girlieschmoo 03-18-2013 05:39 PM

Steaz Teas makes a Zero calorie Sparkling Green Tea in raspberry, pomegranate, or blueberry flavors sweetened with erythritol and stevia. If you don't want the fizz, they make plain green tea with flavors (tea/lemon, citrus, raspberry and peach-mango, I believe) but they use straight stevia.

Girlieschmoo 03-18-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose (Post 16319514)
I looked for the energy drink and did not see what she could possibly have been talking about. They had AMP, Rockstar, Red Bull and one other one that I can't think of. Nothing with stevia.

They are called "Steaz Teas". I know you can get them at Walmart.com. I don't know if the energy drinks use erythritol or real sugar though. I know their tea drinks do.

Chocolate Rose 03-18-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo (Post 16323311)
They are called "Steaz Teas". I know you can get them at Walmart.com. I don't know if the energy drinks use erythritol or real sugar though. I know their tea drinks do.

I did see the teas on a different shelf. So, Steaz Teas are energy drinks?

Rhubarb 03-18-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo (Post 16323288)
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! I only use erythritol or the chicory based sweeteners and up til now, had to make my own ice cream (which I don't mind but sometimes you just want to not work hard for something, kwim?!). Anyhoo, found this at our grocers' yesterday and LOVE it! Just makes me so happy :hugs:

Oh good! I was thrilled to find it last summer too. It's awesome. Glad I could help.

Girlieschmoo 03-18-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose (Post 16323586)
I did see the teas on a different shelf. So, Steaz Teas are energy drinks?

Steaz makes 5 different products: regular tea(organic but made with sugar), zero calorie tea (same tea product but made with stevia), sparking zero calorie tea(fizzy and made with erythritol/stevia), energy drinks (made with regular sugar but organic I believe) and energy shots.

I have only had the zero calorie regular tea/lemonade and the sparkling green teas (all flavors) so don't know much about their energy drinks.

Chocolate Rose 03-19-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo (Post 16323877)
Steaz makes 5 different products: regular tea(organic but made with sugar), zero calorie tea (same tea product but made with stevia), sparking zero calorie tea(fizzy and made with erythritol/stevia), energy drinks (made with regular sugar but organic I believe) and energy shots.

I have only had the zero calorie regular tea/lemonade and the sparkling green teas (all flavors) so don't know much about their energy drinks.

Thanks for the info.

gardenofsimple 03-20-2013 06:42 AM

Oh. Talk to me a out using this in ice cream, we make our own a lot in summer. I have only used xylitol not erithrytol, is it measured like sugar? Do you get that minty taste I sometimes get with xylitol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 15740172)
I really haven't seen many products on the shelves with Erithrytol or Xylitol, which are the two sweeteners I'm willing to eat at this point.

I do make my own, though. Because the Erithrytol is crystalized, it works fine for home made ice cream. I haven't tried using it in "baked" goods but imagine it would be OK in them, too. And it does melt if heated gently. I'm planning to try it on homemade jerky soon.

I think it's not used widely in commercial foods because it's SO expensive. I cringe every time I have to buy it, but that's good because it makes me use it sparingly.

johnsa37 03-20-2013 03:31 PM

I use erithrytol when making homemade ice cream. I measure it just like I would with sugar. Taste the mixture first, but I don't usually add any more. Sometimes I even use less because it is a bit spendy! You could cut it with a couple drops of EZ Sweets too. I don't notice a minty aftertaste either.

It does tend to want to stay crystalized a lot more than white sugar, so you have to stir it in slowly and then shake or whisk for a longer period of time.