LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetpinky
Stats: 403/356/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/23/2012
Atkins shakes

Okay....I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere else, but what is the general consensus about drinking the shakes? I know a lot of people stay away from the Atkins products but I'm curious about the shakes. I picked up a 4 pack of the mocha shakes to try out for breakfast. I don't like taking the time (during the work week) to make anything so for the past EIGHT weeks, I've been eating 2 hard boiled eggs (with or without the yolk, depending on my mood) and a wedge or 2 of Laughing Cow cheese but I am SO BURNED OUT!!! I bought the shakes mostly out of desperation Saturday night- the Thursday and Friday before, I just ate cheese for breakfast! LOL.

I just wanted to try the shakes out for a bit (just for breakfast) and see how it goes but I'm interested in hearing what other people who use (or used) them think. Does anyone stall using them or do they seem to not effect loss?

Thanks!
sweetpinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Im interested in finding out too.My Dh had one this AM for breakfast and it didnt taste half bad.I dont like breakfast so this would work well for me.
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I personally think the shakes are good. I think they contain soy which is bad news for thyroid peeps.

I do either an Atkins shake or an EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shake every day w/ my small dinner. I keep them in my fridge as a 'just in case' also.

Due to the cost I plan on making my own shake using Syntrax Nectar whey protein (I own three flavors, its zero carb and taste great), along with unsweet almond milk and unsweet coconut milk found in the milk section on the dairy aisle. 8oz of the unsweet almond milk / unsweet coconut milk is 40-50 calories and 0-1 carb. Good stuff. I recently ordered a Blender Bottle for $8 to use to mix my shakes and store it in.

213.5/147/135, 160 original goal, Maintenance
Size 22/6-8/8 5'5", Age 41
Started 5/23/03
"YES, YOU CAN!"
Surgically Hypothyroid since 11/2002
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I LOVE the shakes and when I am being strict strict strict, I have a big chocolate shake mixed with a cup of strong coffee every day. Hot or cold depending on the season. They help me lose weight and cleanse. They also feel really good going down.

The bars are completely the opposite. I eat too many, they completely stall me and I don't feel good when I eat them. I only have one occasionally like when I'm traveling and need lunch/snack and need to stay on plan. They do come in handy once in a while.

Atkins shakes are whey protein and the bars containg soy protein which is also a consideration for me.

Last edited by NorthernNisse; 06-20-2012 at 07:46 AM..
NorthernNisse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetpinky
Stats: 403/356/150
Start Date: 4/23/2012
Thank you both for weighing in- I appreciate your input! Allie- thanks for the protein shake ideas! You're right....Atkins shakes are a little expensive if they're going to be a REGULAR part of our diets.

I had a mocha latte shake this morning (and a cheese stick) and it was pretty tasty, tasty enough to be interested in the other available flavors. I thought the stats were very, very reasonable- 5 total carbs (2 net) and 15g of protein- and they might be okay to put in rotation, so to speak, because right now, all I can think is, "OMG. ANOTHER EGG!" Lol.

Kim- like you, I'm really not a big breakfast eater, never have been. A cup of coffee will do me just fine until lunch....but I think it's generally best to start the day with some kind of protein. Though I could do without, I've found that when I do skip breakfast, I'm RAVENOUS by lunch time. Hard boiled eggs have been so easy- boil 10 of them Sunday night and they're ready to grab and go every morning while running out the door. But seriously.....I've gotten to the point where SEEING them makes me want to chunk 'em out the window and eat tree bark or something instead.

Guess I'll give them a shot. Part if this is figuring out what works for you and what doesn't, right?
sweetpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I have diabetes and when I drink the shakes or eat some of the bars, I have to watch how much insulin I give myself. Sometimes I dont have to give any when I replace them for a meal. That tells me they do not raise blood sugar too much. So, they are ok by me. But, I buy the Atkins bars and slim fast low carb shakes because they dont have too much potassium like the Atkins shakes do. With some medications for blood pressure you have to watch your potassium intake.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I drink an Atkins Shake three or four times a week with no problems. I don't eat the bars. I had rather make something from scratch. I have diabetes and I haven't noticed a huge difference in my blood sugar after drinking them.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
They seem to be pretty popular. I wouldn't recommend them or any processed food for regular consumption. This type of product tends to be primarily protein powder and synthetic vitamins. The body is then forced to draw from its valuable fat soluble vitamin stores to process the protein powder.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeavenDenied
Stats: 245/214/175
WOE: High Fat / Moderate Protein / Low Carbs
Start Date: 05-29-2012
I just received my order of Atkins Dark Chocolate Royale Shakes (2 net carbs) and had my first one last night. It was dreamy, seriously. I worked out this morning and am still noticing steady weightloss on my digital scale, no stalls. They're okay by me!
Luke
HeavenDenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I have a Milk Chocolate Delight shake almost every morning for breakfast. To me they are creamy milk chocolate goodness. They are sort of pricey at about 1.50 a shake, but I like them so much. I was still able to lose a lot of weight drinking them.
Ocean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
Start Date: April 10,2012
I haven't tried the shakes yet but thanks to this thread, I am going to!

I have used the Atkins peanut butter chocolate meal replacement bars (19 g of protein ones,not the candy bar ones) for out of town trips and campouts. They really have helped me stay on plan in the face of NOTHING TO EAT. I have been up a tiny bit when I've returned from the trips but I'm not sure if that's airplane water retention or what. I end up losing that and more when I'm back.
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Love the cafe mocha shakes. I might have 1 or 2 a week.
rotay60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I love them. I buy the regular Atkins shakes and also the Atkins daybreak shakes. The daybreak have some fiber in them so I feel a little fuller till lunchtime. I hate eating breakfast and was forcing myself to and low and behold it led to my grazing all day long. I have to eat/have something because of medication for blood pressure so this solves that easily for me. Go for it, it's a great quick, filling alternative for us!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenDenied View Post
I just received my order of Atkins Dark Chocolate Royale Shakes (2 net carbs) and had my first one last night. It was dreamy, seriously. I worked out this morning and am still noticing steady weightloss on my digital scale, no stalls. They're okay by me!
Luke
These are my absolute favorite!
NorthernNisse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyw87
Stats: 284/255/190
Start Date: restart April 2012
I pour a cup of coffee in my magic bullet, crack in an egg, throw in a scoop of coconut oil and a scoop of Syntrax chocolate truffle protein powder. Pour it into travel mug or just leave it in the bullet cup. YUM! drink it on the way to work or when I get there.
christyw87 is offline   Reply With Quote