Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
Induction and exercise?

Hey guys,

I could really use some help. As you can see I just started Induction again. However I am having some problems with trying to workout.
When I go to the gym two days in a row I come home on the second day and start to feel sick. Run down, fatigue, sore throat. Usually I have to lay low for an entire week before I feel ready to go back to the gym.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with my carb count being too low OR if I am just pushing it too hard to fast.

I am trying to do the Body for Life plan while using Atkins to lose weight.

Are people having success working out 5-6 times weekly while on Induction???

Could really use some advise.

Thanks guys!!!

micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I didn't try to do additional exercise during the first two weeks when I was on induction. There's a lot of stress on your body as you get used to not eating carbs, lose water weight, etc., and I felt tired a lot during the first two weeks. Why not cut yourself some slack and not go heavy on the exercise until your body is more acclimatized to this woe? Also, be sure that you are getting enough salt (drink broth and salt your food) and drink lots of water. My guess is that you are pushing too hard, too fast. After I got used to using my own fat for fuel and not eating carbs, my energy and exercise level went way up. (I've been doing 10+ mile walks almost every day, and feel great.)

I'll bet that exercising easily will happen for you, too, if you give it some time.

If you don't mind my asking, did you stop doing low carb for a while and then return to induction, or move to OWL and then go back to induction because you were stalled? It would be easier to answer your question if we knew if you had been doing low carb continuously but just cut your carb level back, or if you had been off low carb for some time.

Last edited by svenskamae; 06-19-2012 at 04:57 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I didn't try to do additional exercise during the first two weeks when I was on induction. There's a lot of stress on your body as you get used to not eating carbs, lose water weight, etc., and I felt tired a lot during the first two weeks. Why not cut yourself some slack and not go heavy on the exercise until your body is more acclimatized to this woe? Also, be sure that you are getting enough salt (drink broth and salt your food) and drink lots of water. My guess is that you are pushing too hard, too fast. After I got used to using my own fat for fuel and not eating carbs, my energy and exercise level went way up. (I've been doing 10+ mile walks almost every day, and feel great.)

I'll bet that exercising easily will happen for you, too, if you give it some time.

If you don't mind my asking, did you stop doing low carb for a while and then return to induction, or move to OWL and then go back to induction because you were stalled? It would be easier to answer your question if we knew if you had been doing low carb continuously but just cut your carb level back, or if you had been off low carb for some time.

WOW 10 mile walks per day???? That's awesome!!

I was doing Primal/Paleo for a while per a naturopath to get my hormones back in check so I can get pregnant. I'm dealing with fertility issues that cross fingers low carb will fix.

I'm used to eating fruit, nuts, protein and veggies but was losing too slow. Losing only 10 pounds in six months.
I did do Induction a long time ago, but that was many moons ago.

Thanks for the help!!!
I just need some support to get through Induction
Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
When I go to the gym two days in a row I come home on the second day and start to feel sick. Run down, fatigue, sore throat. Usually I have to lay low for an entire week before I feel ready to go back to the gym.
In 1999, I had a shiny new gym membership. I tend to get "addicted to the burn", and I had some weight to lose, so I went 5x week. Pushed hard.

I over-trained.

And I got sick. For several YEARS. I developed something called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is caused by damaging the mitochondria.

I've got a friend at the dojo who just recently did the same thing to herself.

If it takes you a week to recover, you're pushing too hard. If you're having flu-like symptoms afterwards, you're pushing too hard.

Back off a little bit. Limit yourself to every-other day for a while. Frequent work-outs are NOT worth destroying your health over!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks!!! I was kind of thinking the same thing.
I wonder if it would be okay to start couch to 5k program which is three days a week only.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
What's the nature of the exercise? If your heart rate stays elevated for a long time then you'll go through a lot of glycogen--which replenishes slowly on LC. I notice a lot of Paleo athletes do lots of leisurely walking/cycling and then lift weights or sprint 1-2 times a week. Any frequency greater than that is going to require eating carbs--whether or not this is wise will depend on a lot of individual factors. I believe fruit and tuber carbs are the recommended ones (not bread or SSBs of course).
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Since your trouble seems to be on back-to-back days, yes, I'd try every other.

Listen to your body on this.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Hi! I have recently started a program similar to p90x myself, and I have been on induction for several weeks now.
My advice would be to take it slow at first and try not to burn yourself out. Do what you can for now, lifting what weight you can without overdoing it. Do what cardio you can without exhausting yourself. As you spend more time on induction you should find yourself with more energy to work out more often and recover more quickly. Take a day off in between workouts if you need to.
I know I tried working out at first, but I just didn't have it in me to stick to it. A couple weeks later I was ready as my body adapted better to my diet. Last week I started working out every day and finally had the energy and willpower to stick to it.
Take it easy and ease into it. You don't have to do it all from the get-go! Be patient and be kind to your body
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
What's the nature of the exercise? If your heart rate stays elevated for a long time then you'll go through a lot of glycogen--which replenishes slowly on LC. I notice a lot of Paleo athletes do lots of leisurely walking/cycling and then lift weights or sprint 1-2 times a week. Any frequency greater than that is going to require eating carbs--whether or not this is wise will depend on a lot of individual factors. I believe fruit and tuber carbs are the recommended ones (not bread or SSBs of course).

Thanks!!! I needed to hear this!!!
MY goals are to run at least 4-5 miles per day, be able to do classes at the gym and lift weights.
On top of that I have a very active job.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GratefulParrot
Stats: Old playing weight of 245
WOE: induction
Start Date: 9/12/11
I exercised everyday on induction. I think I had a couple of days where I felt like crap, but I just fought through it and it disappeared. Plus I would beat myself up if I missed. My exercise is broken up through. In early morning I lift heavy free weights, a different muscle group each day. At lunch, I do my walking/jogging. I only do 2 miles, but that's enough to work for me. Not looking to do marathons, just look good without the shirt on.
GratefulParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
I am wondering the same thing...

I am starting Farrell's Extreme Body Shaping. The classes start MOnday and are six days/week. M-W-F are cardio kickboxing (45 min) and T-TH-S are strength training (45 min)... The eating plan is "Eating (Body) for Life".

I am worried about getting sucked into eating a ton of carbs and low fat... How can I modify the plan to be more low carb and still have amazing results?
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Weights should probably only be done 2 or 3 times a week. Walking can be done daily. Sprinting once or twice a week, Other than that, just go out and play. (My interpretation of what some in the Paleo community are recommending).
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote