Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/249/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Brain Over Binge

Hey everyone!

I can't remember who it was but someone suggested the book Brain Over Binge for anyone who has a hard time staying on plan, especially those that tend to binge on carby stuff. Thanks to whoever that was! I'm currently reading the book and think it may help me since I seem to go off on a carb binge every few weeks.

So my question is, has anyone here that tends to struggle with the urge to binge been able to stop altogether and stay on plan? What worked for you?
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
Hi there muncheechee, I totally want to read that book! I struggle with the desire to binge. I wish I could say I have found a definitive answer that stopped binging forever. I have not. I have found big improvements, though, by journaling why I want to eat (overeat) when the desire strikes me. Often I can figure out what is actually bothering me or what feeling (stress, anxiety, tiredness) is leading me to want to eat.

I found it really helpful to read Ta-Da's (Pauline's) journal from beginning to end. She has had great success with low carbing, losing weight, and improving her binge cycles. Here's the link:

TaDa! The Lifelong Journey!!

Hope that helps!

You are not alone in your fight against the Binge Monster!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
I've heard that eating a huge amount of fat when the craving comes on really helps some people. I have not read the book but I really struggle with this too. I'm so tired of getting so far and then binging, just to feel bad about myself and restart again. I'm just fed up with restarting! Hopefully that will be motivation enough to stay on plan this time. Good luck!
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Great book. It's primarily one woman's portrayal of her varied attempts to fight bulimia. The "take home" lesson is simple. Let your "higher" and more evolved cortex take control of the cravings emanating from your more primitive brain functions. If this could be accomplished by all, we're have a smoke-free, non-obese society; we have a ways to go. However, on an individual basis, the author's realization certainly worked for her and can work for you. I read it on a plane to California a couple of weeks ago. I subsequently had a couple of binges but feel that their frequency is much less.

Good Luck,
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
This book seriously changed my life FOREVER...I stopped thinking I was destined to deal with binge eating and started seeing it as a habit I could break. I read it about 4 months ago, and still don't feel "cured" and I do have to white knuckle it every now and then, but overall that lower brain has alot less influence over my life..I can say "shut up" and it will, eventually. Bingeing is not desired anymore, but the habit does linger, but that is all it is a habit, I just have to avoid it by changing my regular patter.

Again, the book changed my personal point of view of bingeing and that was key for me changing the habit. I feel enabled and that noise doesn't have the influence it once did in my head.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I agree with both Abby and steady about the value of this book in helping to deal with binge behavior. For me, it has been empowering.

Perhaps most valuable to me is the author's clear description of the 'brain activity' behind the urge to binge and the way to try to deal with it. In addition, the reminder that like any 'habit,' the more we resist these urges, the less frequently we'll experience them.

While I doubt I'll ever totally eliminate the urge to overeat, I've experienced fewer episodes of this compulsive behavior and have been able to 'abort' the urges often, thanks to the author's technique of drawing on the power of the 'upper brain.'
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aprilmag74
Stats: 130/118/108 ~ 4'11" ~ 38years
WOE: Higher fat version of Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Thanks

I'm going to get this book now. So glad I found this site.
Aprilmag74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I need to read it too. Once I splurge on a carb item , I can't control the rest of the day. Weird, cause I can go right back to LC the next day, but for the rest of the day I cheated I can't stop myself. I go from one thing to another. Need to break this habit !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I totally figured out what caused me to binge, WHEAT!! I don't go off plan with wheat at all and I have no trouble getting right back on track if I have a little potato or corn.

In addition to the book you mentioned, Wheat Belly is another good read. It really changed things for me.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
I need to read it too. Once I splurge on a carb item , I can't control the rest of the day. Weird, cause I can go right back to LC the next day, but for the rest of the day I cheated I can't stop myself. I go from one thing to another. Need to break this habit !
We're sisters........ My brain says that once I've blown it, I should REALLY blow it.........
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aprilmag74
Stats: 130/118/108 ~ 4'11" ~ 38years
WOE: Higher fat version of Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I'm the same way. I downloaded the book last night. I'm leaving for vaca tomorrow and plan on reading that as well as a couple other books I've heard about on this website.
Aprilmag74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
I downloaded the sample of it on Kindle a few weeks ago, but didn't buy it. mostly becuase I am so tired of wasting money on yet ANOTHER diet book or 'help with diet' book. Some of you said it was really helpful though...can anyone go into a little more detail on what she says is the key? What does it mean, to use your higher more evolved brain? I really don't want to waste more money, but if it is truly helpful, then I might buy it.
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
I downloaded the sample of it on Kindle a few weeks ago, but didn't buy it. mostly becuase I am so tired of wasting money on yet ANOTHER diet book or 'help with diet' book. Some of you said it was really helpful though...can anyone go into a little more detail on what she says is the key? What does it mean, to use your higher more evolved brain? I really don't want to waste more money, but if it is truly helpful, then I might buy it.
I am just like you. I cannot tell you how many books I have bought that I wish I hadn't I just want to be sure that I can use this one instead of wishing I had bought a different book. I have one on my Kindle that I really do wish I had the paperback version of instead of the Kindle version. But I have heard this one IS a really good book. Yet, I still have the sample. Could it be really that simple?
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I am just like you. I cannot tell you how many books I have bought that I wish I hadn't I just want to be sure that I can use this one instead of wishing I had bought a different book. I have one on my Kindle that I really do wish I had the paperback version of instead of the Kindle version. But I have heard this one IS a really good book. Yet, I still have the sample. Could it be really that simple?
I have spent probably thousands of dollars over the years on diet books, programs, suppplements and the like. I'm thinking the same thing-can it be that simple? And if it is, then I have struggled an awful lot of years for nothing. But if it does work, then better late than never.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
I have spent probably thousands of dollars over the years on diet books, programs, suppplements and the like. I'm thinking the same thing-can it be that simple? And if it is, then I have struggled an awful lot of years for nothing. But if it does work, then better late than never.
I am constantly looking for the next magic bullet I cannot tell you how many supplements I have stockpiled over the years. Well, my DH probably could tell you since he is trying to always throw them away Boy if I were to die tomorrow he would be happy as his house would finally not look like a hoarders lives here. Geesh, the money I have spent But you are right, better late than never
Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
Here is a review I found...

Book Review: Brain Over Binge | Psych Central
jijane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
I am constantly looking for the next magic bullet I cannot tell you how many supplements I have stockpiled over the years. Well, my DH probably could tell you since he is trying to always throw them away Boy if I were to die tomorrow he would be happy as his house would finally not look like a hoarders lives here. Geesh, the money I have spent But you are right, better late than never
Right there with you Dawn! Shelves of books and supplements and now my kindle is full too!
The book made sense and it helped me for a while, but I am fighting it hard right now. I do think there is a brain component for me, because when Dr.s have given me effexor, prozac and other AD's I stop binging for months at a time, sadly though the effect wears off. When on these AD's I get hungry in a normal fashion, but eat until full and that's the end of it. The way it's supposed to be right!?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy1018
WOE: Paleolithic-no dairy, moderate amounts of fruit
I'm definitely going to check this book out, as the urge to binge is something I struggle with almost constantly. One written blog that helped me encouraged people to contemplate both positive and negative reasons for losing weight/staying on plan. He/she said that people tend to be wired to respond more to one or the other. For example, here are some positive reasons for losing weight:

I want to look more attractive
I want to climb a mountain
I want to fit into my wedding dress
I want to have more energy

And here are some "negative" reasons:
I don't want to get type II diabetes
I don't want high blood pressure
I don't want to have to spend my time hanging out in a dialysis clinic
I don't want to keep having to be ashamed when I wear a bathing suit (now, this brings up issues related to body image, and I don't mean that people should feel ashamed of their bodies, but for some people who are very overweight, this is a motivator.

So, I don't know if that's helpful, but both "lists" are things that I have thought about when I've been tempted to binge.
Lucy1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijane21 View Post
Thanks. This was interesting. I'm not sure i really understood it, but I may be buying this book. One more try...
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have a chest of drawers dedicated to the supplemts...plus protein powders and other stuff in a cupboard.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Well, I barely got through this thread before I downloaded the Kindle version of this book. I am about halfway through and it makes so much sense. It appeals to my "just suck it up and do it" attitude that usually serves me well.

I'm not as extreme as the author, but I certainly overheat more than is "normal." I can remember shoveling leftovers in my mouth with the serving spoon while I was supposed to be doing the dinner dishes as a kid. The stuff she wrote about wishing her family would leave or go to bed so she could eat really hit home too.

For a long time I tried to figure out what emotional issue I had that was causing me to overeat, but came up empty. I went all the way back to elementary school and found some stuff, but really nothing that could account for overeating 35 years later. I am happy and successful in every other area of my life.

I read "The Diet Cure" and now take amino acids which helps, but the urge is still there. Maybe this can be the final piece of the puzzle.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 182/175/126 5'1"
WOE: Jumping around like a flea on a dog.
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I agree with both Abby and steady about the value of this book in helping to deal with binge behavior. For me, it has been empowering.

Perhaps most valuable to me is the author's clear description of the 'brain activity' behind the urge to binge and the way to try to deal with it. In addition, the reminder that like any 'habit,' the more we resist these urges, the less frequently we'll experience them.

While I doubt I'll ever totally eliminate the urge to overeat, I've experienced fewer episodes of this compulsive behavior and have been able to 'abort' the urges often, thanks to the author's technique of drawing on the power of the 'upper brain.'
Pretty much sums up how I feel after reading the book Leo.
It's helping me to distance myself from that loud nagging voice that urges me to eat junk for no rational reason at all.
It's not a magic bullet of course but I'm finding it very helpful...and I need all the help I can get!
Dolores Claiborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I can't tell you all how helpful this book was to me--I may have been the one recommending it once upon a time.

I don't think compulsive overeaters have the same total release from overeating as she did as a binge eater, but her method of overriding limbic impulses has had a great impact on my overeating when I can remember to do it. It is a book that is worth reading over and over.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ginaoo
Stats: 210/197/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: May 2012
mark
Ginaoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I got it on my kindle last night, but it was late so I have only read a little. I went straight to the 5 steps and it did make sense to me. The part where she says to distance yourself and that you don't have to 'white knuckle' your way through it is really appealing to me. I have tried the 'white knuckling' before and it does not work for me.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Well I got it on my kindle last night, but it was late so I have only read a little. I went straight to the 5 steps and it did make sense to me. The part where she says to distance yourself and that you don't have to 'white knuckle' your way through it is really appealing to me. I have tried the 'white knuckling' before and it does not work for me.
So you bit the bullet and bought it? I hope you report back and let us know what you think
Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
So you bit the bullet and bought it? I hope you report back and let us know what you think
Yup, i sure did! I'll read a little more and let you all know.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
To Faithgirl- I know I already posted in here, but not to sound too evangelical, but this book will change your life, well atleast change your view about bingeing; It changed my life and my way of thinking. Before, I perceived the "cure" as I would have to accept a life of keeping the raging binge-monster quiet and happy, but now I see I hold the power and control over that monster, I can "kill" this monster for good. Still a few moments are hard (for me), but like Leo said, it is empowering. Bingeing is not an issue for me anymore, because I can stop a binge now, and just call it an overeat. I guess solving one problem at a time, is better than nothing.

Last edited by steady; 07-09-2012 at 06:15 PM..
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady View Post
To Faithgirl- I know I already posted in here, but not to sound too evangelical, but this book will change your life, well atleast change your view about bingeing; It changed my life and my way of thinking. Before, I perceived the "cure" as I would have to accept a life of keeping the raging binge-monster quiet and happy, but now I see I hold the power and control over that monster, I can "kill" this monster for good. Still a few moments are hard (for me), but like Leo said, it is empowering. Bingeing is not an issue for me anymore, because I can stop a binge now, and just call it an overeat. I guess solving one problem at a time, is better than nothing.
I am just in the chapter where she gets married, but so far she talks about how trying to 'fix' herself before the bingeing would be resolved really strikes me. For so many years I thought if I could just figure out what's wrong with me, THEN I would stop bingeing. I have read countless books on eating disorders and emotional problems and i really don't feel I am in denial about things anymore (becuase there was a time that I was), and yet, I am still bingeing and overeating. I have never been in therapy, but I have considered it. The thing that stopped me is that i figured they would want to rehash all the junk from my past and to tell you the truth-I have done enough of that on my own. I just didn't see the point in it.

I am not as fast at reading as i use to be, so I have to get back to it. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by faithgirl; 07-09-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I love this book!

According to the author, the notion of addiction resides in the "animal/primal brain."If one exerts their "human/evolved brain" over their "animal/primal brain" then addiction will cease to exist.

This theory is a powerful one. Not only has it helped many people suffering from eating disorders, but those suffering from alcohol and drug addiction as well.

Will it work for everyone? Absolutely not. But it's still a fascinating read, IMO.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote