Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Brain Over Binge (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/775317-brain-over-binge.html)

muncheechee 06-18-2012 07:26 AM

Brain Over Binge
 
Hey everyone!

I can't remember who it was but someone suggested the book Brain Over Binge for anyone who has a hard time staying on plan, especially those that tend to binge on carby stuff. Thanks to whoever that was! I'm currently reading the book and think it may help me since I seem to go off on a carb binge every few weeks.

So my question is, has anyone here that tends to struggle with the urge to binge been able to stop altogether and stay on plan? What worked for you?

ElizabethLC 06-18-2012 08:24 AM

Hi there muncheechee, I totally want to read that book! I struggle with the desire to binge. I wish I could say I have found a definitive answer that stopped binging forever. I have not. I have found big improvements, though, by journaling why I want to eat (overeat) when the desire strikes me. Often I can figure out what is actually bothering me or what feeling (stress, anxiety, tiredness) is leading me to want to eat.

I found it really helpful to read Ta-Da's (Pauline's) journal from beginning to end. She has had great success with low carbing, losing weight, and improving her binge cycles. Here's the link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...g-journey.html

Hope that helps!

You are not alone in your fight against the Binge Monster!

A'smommy 06-18-2012 12:07 PM

I've heard that eating a huge amount of fat when the craving comes on really helps some people. I have not read the book but I really struggle with this too. I'm so tired of getting so far and then binging, just to feel bad about myself and restart again. I'm just fed up with restarting! Hopefully that will be motivation enough to stay on plan this time. Good luck!

Abby 06-18-2012 05:53 PM

Great book. It's primarily one woman's portrayal of her varied attempts to fight bulimia. The "take home" lesson is simple. Let your "higher" and more evolved cortex take control of the cravings emanating from your more primitive brain functions. If this could be accomplished by all, we're have a smoke-free, non-obese society:); we have a ways to go. However, on an individual basis, the author's realization certainly worked for her and can work for you. I read it on a plane to California a couple of weeks ago. I subsequently had a couple of binges but feel that their frequency is much less.

Good Luck,

steady 06-18-2012 10:55 PM

This book seriously changed my life FOREVER...I stopped thinking I was destined to deal with binge eating and started seeing it as a habit I could break. I read it about 4 months ago, and still don't feel "cured" and I do have to white knuckle it every now and then, but overall that lower brain has alot less influence over my life..I can say "shut up" and it will, eventually. Bingeing is not desired anymore, but the habit does linger, but that is all it is a habit, I just have to avoid it by changing my regular patter.

Again, the book changed my personal point of view of bingeing and that was key for me changing the habit. I feel enabled and that noise doesn't have the influence it once did in my head.

Leo41 06-19-2012 01:24 AM

I agree with both Abby and steady about the value of this book in helping to deal with binge behavior. For me, it has been empowering.

Perhaps most valuable to me is the author's clear description of the 'brain activity' behind the urge to binge and the way to try to deal with it. In addition, the reminder that like any 'habit,' the more we resist these urges, the less frequently we'll experience them.

While I doubt I'll ever totally eliminate the urge to overeat, I've experienced fewer episodes of this compulsive behavior and have been able to 'abort' the urges often, thanks to the author's technique of drawing on the power of the 'upper brain.'

Aprilmag74 07-07-2012 10:58 PM

Thanks
 
I'm going to get this book now. So glad I found this site. :)

shelby'snana 07-07-2012 11:20 PM

I need to read it too. Once I splurge on a carb item , I can't control the rest of the day. Weird, cause I can go right back to LC the next day, but for the rest of the day I cheated I can't stop myself. I go from one thing to another. Need to break this habit !

cfine 07-08-2012 05:17 AM

I totally figured out what caused me to binge, WHEAT!! I don't go off plan with wheat at all and I have no trouble getting right back on track if I have a little potato or corn.

In addition to the book you mentioned, Wheat Belly is another good read. It really changed things for me.

Abby 07-08-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby'snana (Post 15783474)
I need to read it too. Once I splurge on a carb item , I can't control the rest of the day. Weird, cause I can go right back to LC the next day, but for the rest of the day I cheated I can't stop myself. I go from one thing to another. Need to break this habit !

We're sisters.......:console:. My brain says that once I've blown it, I should REALLY blow it.........:o

Aprilmag74 07-08-2012 11:28 AM

I'm the same way. I downloaded the book last night. I'm leaving for vaca tomorrow and plan on reading that as well as a couple other books I've heard about on this website.

faithgirl 07-08-2012 04:33 PM

I downloaded the sample of it on Kindle a few weeks ago, but didn't buy it. mostly becuase I am so tired of wasting money on yet ANOTHER diet book or 'help with diet' book. Some of you said it was really helpful though...can anyone go into a little more detail on what she says is the key? What does it mean, to use your higher more evolved brain? I really don't want to waste more money, but if it is truly helpful, then I might buy it.

dawnyama 07-08-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithgirl (Post 15785031)
I downloaded the sample of it on Kindle a few weeks ago, but didn't buy it. mostly becuase I am so tired of wasting money on yet ANOTHER diet book or 'help with diet' book. Some of you said it was really helpful though...can anyone go into a little more detail on what she says is the key? What does it mean, to use your higher more evolved brain? I really don't want to waste more money, but if it is truly helpful, then I might buy it.

I am just like you. I cannot tell you how many books I have bought that I wish I hadn't :doh::doh: I just want to be sure that I can use this one instead of wishing I had bought a different book. I have one on my Kindle that I really do wish I had the paperback version of instead of the Kindle version. But I have heard this one IS a really good book. Yet, I still have the sample. Could it be really that simple?

faithgirl 07-08-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 15785162)
I am just like you. I cannot tell you how many books I have bought that I wish I hadn't :doh::doh: I just want to be sure that I can use this one instead of wishing I had bought a different book. I have one on my Kindle that I really do wish I had the paperback version of instead of the Kindle version. But I have heard this one IS a really good book. Yet, I still have the sample. Could it be really that simple?

I have spent probably thousands of dollars over the years on diet books, programs, suppplements and the like. I'm thinking the same thing-can it be that simple? And if it is, then I have struggled an awful lot of years for nothing. But if it does work, then better late than never.

dawnyama 07-08-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithgirl (Post 15785189)
I have spent probably thousands of dollars over the years on diet books, programs, suppplements and the like. I'm thinking the same thing-can it be that simple? And if it is, then I have struggled an awful lot of years for nothing. But if it does work, then better late than never.

I am constantly looking for the next magic bullet :high5: I cannot tell you how many supplements I have stockpiled over the years. Well, my DH probably could tell you since he is trying to always throw them away :hyst: Boy if I were to die tomorrow he would be happy as his house would finally not look like a hoarders lives here. Geesh, the money I have spent :doh: But you are right, better late than never :up:

jijane21 07-08-2012 06:05 PM

Here is a review I found...

Book Review: Brain Over Binge | Psych Central

jeaniem 07-08-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 15785205)
I am constantly looking for the next magic bullet :high5: I cannot tell you how many supplements I have stockpiled over the years. Well, my DH probably could tell you since he is trying to always throw them away :hyst: Boy if I were to die tomorrow he would be happy as his house would finally not look like a hoarders lives here. Geesh, the money I have spent :doh: But you are right, better late than never :up:

Right there with you Dawn! Shelves of books and supplements and now my kindle is full too!
The book made sense and it helped me for a while, but I am fighting it hard right now. I do think there is a brain component for me, because when Dr.s have given me effexor, prozac and other AD's I stop binging for months at a time, sadly though the effect wears off. When on these AD's I get hungry in a normal fashion, but eat until full and that's the end of it. The way it's supposed to be right!?

Lucy1018 07-08-2012 07:40 PM

I'm definitely going to check this book out, as the urge to binge is something I struggle with almost constantly. One written blog that helped me encouraged people to contemplate both positive and negative reasons for losing weight/staying on plan. He/she said that people tend to be wired to respond more to one or the other. For example, here are some positive reasons for losing weight:

I want to look more attractive
I want to climb a mountain
I want to fit into my wedding dress
I want to have more energy

And here are some "negative" reasons:
I don't want to get type II diabetes
I don't want high blood pressure
I don't want to have to spend my time hanging out in a dialysis clinic
I don't want to keep having to be ashamed when I wear a bathing suit (now, this brings up issues related to body image, and I don't mean that people should feel ashamed of their bodies, but for some people who are very overweight, this is a motivator.

So, I don't know if that's helpful, but both "lists" are things that I have thought about when I've been tempted to binge.

faithgirl 07-08-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jijane21 (Post 15785279)

Thanks. This was interesting. I'm not sure i really understood it, but I may be buying this book. One more try...

faithgirl 07-08-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 15785205)
I am constantly looking for the next magic bullet :high5: I cannot tell you how many supplements I have stockpiled over the years. Well, my DH probably could tell you since he is trying to always throw them away :hyst: Boy if I were to die tomorrow he would be happy as his house would finally not look like a hoarders lives here. Geesh, the money I have spent :doh: But you are right, better late than never :up:

I have a chest of drawers dedicated to the supplemts...plus protein powders and other stuff in a cupboard.:o

GME 07-08-2012 09:19 PM

Well, I barely got through this thread before I downloaded the Kindle version of this book. I am about halfway through and it makes so much sense. It appeals to my "just suck it up and do it" attitude that usually serves me well.

I'm not as extreme as the author, but I certainly overheat more than is "normal." I can remember shoveling leftovers in my mouth with the serving spoon while I was supposed to be doing the dinner dishes as a kid. The stuff she wrote about wishing her family would leave or go to bed so she could eat really hit home too. :(

For a long time I tried to figure out what emotional issue I had that was causing me to overeat, but came up empty. I went all the way back to elementary school and found some stuff, but really nothing that could account for overeating 35 years later. I am happy and successful in every other area of my life.

I read "The Diet Cure" and now take amino acids which helps, but the urge is still there. Maybe this can be the final piece of the puzzle.

Dolores Claiborne 07-09-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 15735579)
I agree with both Abby and steady about the value of this book in helping to deal with binge behavior. For me, it has been empowering.

Perhaps most valuable to me is the author's clear description of the 'brain activity' behind the urge to binge and the way to try to deal with it. In addition, the reminder that like any 'habit,' the more we resist these urges, the less frequently we'll experience them.

While I doubt I'll ever totally eliminate the urge to overeat, I've experienced fewer episodes of this compulsive behavior and have been able to 'abort' the urges often, thanks to the author's technique of drawing on the power of the 'upper brain.'

Pretty much sums up how I feel after reading the book Leo.
It's helping me to distance myself from that loud nagging voice that urges me to eat junk for no rational reason at all.
It's not a magic bullet of course but I'm finding it very helpful...and I need all the help I can get!

ouizoid 07-09-2012 06:42 AM

I can't tell you all how helpful this book was to me--I may have been the one recommending it once upon a time.

I don't think compulsive overeaters have the same total release from overeating as she did as a binge eater, but her method of overriding limbic impulses has had a great impact on my overeating when I can remember to do it. It is a book that is worth reading over and over.

Ginaoo 07-09-2012 11:04 AM

mark

faithgirl 07-09-2012 04:15 PM

Well I got it on my kindle last night, but it was late so I have only read a little. I went straight to the 5 steps and it did make sense to me. The part where she says to distance yourself and that you don't have to 'white knuckle' your way through it is really appealing to me. I have tried the 'white knuckling' before and it does not work for me.

dawnyama 07-09-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithgirl (Post 15787804)
Well I got it on my kindle last night, but it was late so I have only read a little. I went straight to the 5 steps and it did make sense to me. The part where she says to distance yourself and that you don't have to 'white knuckle' your way through it is really appealing to me. I have tried the 'white knuckling' before and it does not work for me.

So you bit the bullet and bought it? :hyst::hyst: I hope you report back and let us know what you think ;)

faithgirl 07-09-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 15787820)
So you bit the bullet and bought it? :hyst::hyst: I hope you report back and let us know what you think ;)

Yup, i sure did! :lol: I'll read a little more and let you all know.

steady 07-09-2012 06:11 PM

To Faithgirl- I know I already posted in here, but not to sound too evangelical, but this book will change your life, well atleast change your view about bingeing; It changed my life and my way of thinking. Before, I perceived the "cure" as I would have to accept a life of keeping the raging binge-monster quiet and happy, but now I see I hold the power and control over that monster, I can "kill" this monster for good. Still a few moments are hard (for me), but like Leo said, it is empowering. Bingeing is not an issue for me anymore, because I can stop a binge now, and just call it an overeat. I guess solving one problem at a time, is better than nothing.

faithgirl 07-09-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steady (Post 15788126)
To Faithgirl- I know I already posted in here, but not to sound too evangelical, but this book will change your life, well atleast change your view about bingeing; It changed my life and my way of thinking. Before, I perceived the "cure" as I would have to accept a life of keeping the raging binge-monster quiet and happy, but now I see I hold the power and control over that monster, I can "kill" this monster for good. Still a few moments are hard (for me), but like Leo said, it is empowering. Bingeing is not an issue for me anymore, because I can stop a binge now, and just call it an overeat. I guess solving one problem at a time, is better than nothing.

I am just in the chapter where she gets married, but so far she talks about how trying to 'fix' herself before the bingeing would be resolved really strikes me. For so many years I thought if I could just figure out what's wrong with me, THEN I would stop bingeing. I have read countless books on eating disorders and emotional problems and i really don't feel I am in denial about things anymore (becuase there was a time that I was), and yet, I am still bingeing and overeating. I have never been in therapy, but I have considered it. The thing that stopped me is that i figured they would want to rehash all the junk from my past and to tell you the truth-I have done enough of that on my own. I just didn't see the point in it.

I am not as fast at reading as i use to be, so I have to get back to it. Thanks for your input!

Kiley2801 07-10-2012 07:31 AM

I love this book!

According to the author, the notion of addiction resides in the "animal/primal brain."If one exerts their "human/evolved brain" over their "animal/primal brain" then addiction will cease to exist.

This theory is a powerful one. Not only has it helped many people suffering from eating disorders, but those suffering from alcohol and drug addiction as well.

Will it work for everyone? Absolutely not. But it's still a fascinating read, IMO.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM.