Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #61
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I envy you. I am one who has a psychological reaction to deprivation of any kind. It triggers binging. Vlc makes me binge on fat. I do better with a moderately lowcarb and lower fat diet because I feel less deprived of any one macronutrient.
This is me!!! As some of you know I had to stop JUDDD and IF WOE because it created a binge monster that I could not control! I have used several tools to help combat this problem for me and am finding my way one day at a time. I am now going on 2 weeks binge/night binging free!

There are lots of us out here with this food issue. We have a thread on Other Plans for those of us who have an issue with food and are doing our own kind of eating plan to help. It's also a thread about not night eating/binging.

Anyone interested come on over! Our Own Plan And Binging/Night Eating Syndrome

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
For me I think what has happened is that I have managed to reset my metabolism so my pancreas in not over-producing insulin in response to carbs in the diet, which is what creates the low blood sugar and the binge response.

The night bingeing is caused by your liver releasing in glycogen stores due to overnight fasting, some people release too much insulin in response to this glycogen release. This causes low blood sugar and in turn creates the overnight binge. The author of the Diabetes miracle recommends eating a 11g to 20g carbohydrate snack before going to bed and then one in the middle of the night (if awake) to stop this glycogen release from the liver, after you reset your metabolism. This will prevent it from happening.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
For me I think what has happened is that I have managed to reset my metabolism so my pancreas in not over-producing insulin in response to carbs in the diet, which is what creates the low blood sugar and the binge response.

The night bingeing is caused by your liver releasing in glycogen stores due to overnight fasting, some people release too much insulin in response to this glycogen release. This causes low blood sugar and in turn creates the overnight binge. The author of the Diabetes miracle recommends eating a 11g to 20g carbohydrate snack before going to bed and then one in the middle of the night (if awake) to stop this glycogen release from the liver, after you reset your metabolism. This will prevent it from happening.
Well, I'm not sure about your suggests and info but I do know that if I have a snack right before bed I will NOT stop eating! It's not a chemical thing for me, but a binging issue where I start to eat after dinner and then just continue to eat! Science does a great job of "explaining" things but unless you "live the binge" or "live the night eating syndrome" you just don't know the it does to your head! My night binging is under control now, today, and one day at a time, because I had to have a cut off time to stop eating! This was and still is very hard, but I'm doing it one day at a time. It's the only way for me and I'm not believing the "science idea", sorry.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/165/150
WOE: moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I so want to read this book! Just reluctant to buy it because I have too many books already (not necessarily diet books, just books lol) My library doesn't have it yet but I'm going to see if they can, cuz the library is where I found Wheat Belly and Why We Get Fat.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
You know, I have been reading this book and it seems like a lot of rhetoric to me, just like the other books this author talks about. I cannot relate to her issue at all, for me it is something else. I am not saying that no one can benefit from this book, but for me, it is not working.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I don't think it is rhetoric--I think for actual binge disorder or alcholism what she is talking about is very helpful. I think "neurologic junk" from the primitive brain can send messages that can be ignored.

I do, however, suspect that for compulsive overeaters like myself somethin is a bit different. I suspect biologic agents like leptin, blood sugar, and gut biota, etc play a role, and I know for me stress definitely plays a role. I think the brain messages are a bit different than the ones she is talking about and I think a more multipronged approach is necessary--I think for overeaters her work is very important but just one tool. I think for some binge eaters it can be a miracle.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have four books that have helped me a lot with the mental aspects of weight loss. Brain over Binge is one of them, but not the best. It did re-iterate a LOT of what I learned from Four Day Win (my fave), about separating yourself mentally from that primitive brain, and observing it without getting into arguments with it.

What I really liked from Brain Over Binge was the discussion about habit. How it can start as a normal reaction to something... good, bad, emotional, physiological, whatever. And it creates a chemical response in your brain that tags it as a "good" action. And each time you repeat that behavior, you get another "good" tag. Like a path through the woods, each time you walk that path it becomes more distinct and smoother.

Some of my dietary habits have gone from barely-there deer trails to blazed hiking trails to well-manicured, paved walking paths. Knowing that process has been really helpful to me in trying to reverse the course. Instead of focusing on each time I fall into a habit I'm trying to change ("Oh, you blew it again! Might as well eat more!") I focus much more on the positive things I've done that are NEW habits ("I feel really good after that walk. And I can walk without pain for more than 10 minutes now!"). I can imagine myself blazing new trails for the good new habits I'm working on. And when I fall back on the smooth old habits, I am much more likely to realize it, shrug, and step away.

So while a lot of the book specifically was dealing with other types of binging than I go through, I did find a lot of it very helpful.

Oh, and the image that my hand doesn't have a mind of its own... that my primitive brain does NOT control my hand or my mouth, and that there is nothing I will eat if my higher brain does not consciously choose it... that was helpful, too. So many times I would fall into the complaint that I was "mindlessly" eating. The only time I truly eat mindlessly is when I drink too much.

So now I've just resigned myself that I can't drink and lose weight successfully. The two do not go together for me. Those pathways are wide and smooth, and my "higher brain" goes on vacation when I walk down them. So I just avoid the drinks that take me to those paths. Maybe I'll deal with that later, but right now I have enough to do with the food issues!!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I have four books that have helped me a lot with the mental aspects of weight loss. Brain over Binge is one of them, but not the best. It did re-iterate a LOT of what I learned from Four Day Win (my fave), about separating yourself mentally from that primitive brain, and observing it without getting into arguments with it.

What I really liked from Brain Over Binge was the discussion about habit. How it can start as a normal reaction to something... good, bad, emotional, physiological, whatever. And it creates a chemical response in your brain that tags it as a "good" action. And each time you repeat that behavior, you get another "good" tag. Like a path through the woods, each time you walk that path it becomes more distinct and smoother.

Some of my dietary habits have gone from barely-there deer trails to blazed hiking trails to well-manicured, paved walking paths. Knowing that process has been really helpful to me in trying to reverse the course. Instead of focusing on each time I fall into a habit I'm trying to change ("Oh, you blew it again! Might as well eat more!") I focus much more on the positive things I've done that are NEW habits ("I feel really good after that walk. And I can walk without pain for more than 10 minutes now!"). I can imagine myself blazing new trails for the good new habits I'm working on. And when I fall back on the smooth old habits, I am much more likely to realize it, shrug, and step away.
So while a lot of the book specifically was dealing with other types of binging than I go through, I did find a lot of it very helpful.

Oh, and the image that my hand doesn't have a mind of its own... that my primitive brain does NOT control my hand or my mouth, and that there is nothing I will eat if my higher brain does not consciously choose it... that was helpful, too. So many times I would fall into the complaint that I was "mindlessly" eating. The only time I truly eat mindlessly is when I drink too much.

So now I've just resigned myself that I can't drink and lose weight successfully. The two do not go together for me. Those pathways are wide and smooth, and my "higher brain" goes on vacation when I walk down them. So I just avoid the drinks that take me to those paths. Maybe I'll deal with that later, but right now I have enough to do with the food issues!!
That was very helpful to read...I read an article on brain plasticity and that helped give me some insight. I need to reread this material and work on it again.
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bummys
Beeb,

I've read so many of your posts and I can so relate. My behavior has been out of control for so long and so badly out of control that I often wonder if I'll ever be able to gain any sort of normal relationship with food.

Elena
bummys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummys View Post
Beeb,

I've read so many of your posts and I can so relate. My behavior has been out of control for so long and so badly out of control that I often wonder if I'll ever be able to gain any sort of normal relationship with food.

Elena
There are so many of us out here with the same issues with food! Last night I was OUT OF CONTROL! It actually started at lunch and continued up until about 11 PM when I finally got up and THREW OUT EVERYTHING IN MY PANTRY AND FRIDGE THAT I KNOW I BINGE ON!!

It's all gone, box after bag after box after bag! I've had enough, I done with the binge BS!! I deserve more from myself and I deserve to be in control of me!! I'm better than this binging stuff and I will NOW do everything that is going to keep me from binging and that includes NEVER bringing binge trigger foods into my house again! I don't binge when I'm out so that is not a problem, thank God!!

One day at a time, one binge free day at a time!!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bummys
Beeb,

I am on day 4 of no sugar, no flour, no starch. These are the only limitations that I put on myself. I am allowing olives & nuts at least for now.

I wrote these down the other day:

What do I enjoy about over eating:
* the way the food tastes
* the way that I feel while eating & immediately afterward

What do I detest about over eating:
* the way that I feel while eating & immediately afterward
* guilt
* shame
* self hatred
* physical pain and discomfort that comes as a result of overeating
* physical pain and discomfort that comes from being over weight
* putting food before my family & other responsibilities
* keeping secrets
* lying to myself
* lack of motivation
* risking my health

I've been reading this every day. I think it has helped. I talked to my husband yesterday and told him that I'm just so tired of carrying around extra weight. I have 25 pounds to lose as my first goal and I honestly haven't weighed myself yet this week (since monday). I need to focus on my out of control behaviors before I can worry about weight loss at this point.

Eliminating the sugar (and other addictive substances) but not restricting anything else (the volume of food that I can eat) has helped. I'm eating cheese & nuts as a snack and I'm not worrying about the calories or carbs or fat in those.

I'm very aware that one bite of cake, cookies, chips, bread or tortillas, candy, etc. will put my into an all out binge where I am hiding food or digging the stuff out the garbage that I threw away when said that I had enough (again). Not taking that first bite no matter how much it hurts (and it does hurt - the cravings are awful at times) is my focus right now.

I'm also starting to realize that after 41 years, I'm the only person who can make me happy. I asked myself what would make me happy and the answer for this week was to actually get up and exercise in the morning. I've completed 4 days on the treadmill for 15 minutes. That is a huge accomplishment for me. I am a working mom who leaves home at 645am and doesn't get home until all of 530 or 545pm. I'm giving baths and doing dishes until 830pm every night. I have no time to exercise but I did it 4 times this week and it actually did make me happy.

I can so relate to out of control food behaviors...nothing you could say isn't something that I've already done. There is no amount of food that I haven't eaten. I've been so ashamed that I've wished that I would be arrested or institutionalized just to have someone (other than myself) control my food intake. I've had some crazy thoughts...that's for sure.

I've also started testing my blood sugar today. My fasting was 107 and my pre-breakfast was 108. 107 fasting is not normal, pre-diabetic for sure. I was tested last year and my average was 5.5 which I thought would be considered pre-diabetic but my Dr. said it was not. I'm sure the past year of cramming a bunch of **** into my body has pushed me into pre-diabetes. I think that holding myself accountable to good blood sugar numbers might help me not to binge. It certainly did while I was pregnant.

Anyway...you can do this. If I can do 4 days (one day at a time only), anyone can. I'm sending you positive thoughts today.

Elena
bummys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
Linda and Elena I am with you. I am so tired of this binging non sense. There are 3 foods that I binge on and once I have a bite there is no stopping: honey, yogurt and nuts. I simply can not have these foods. I recently tried a new approach of having them in moderation to see if I stop restricting them, the desire to binge would go away. It back fired on me big time. I am in carb coma right now. So I really really need to completely eliminate these foods from my diet. Period!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote