Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Okay...I am getting this book. I was pretty certain that NOTHING would ever stop the binging. But in recent months there have been a handful of times where I have actually been able to talk myself down and just go to bed. I just need a bit more ammo so that I can feel more powerful against the sugar beast.
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 253.6/253.6/180 -- 5'11"
WOE: low carbin' it :)
Start Date: February 19, 2013
Im able halfway through it .. and I thought NOTHING could ever get me to stop bingeing and I've already been able to control it since starting this book, which has been 3 days. That is huge for me.
HealthyWifeForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
I'm not sure I 'get' it yet. how to actually do it. Can anyone that is doing it explain? I'm not that far in the book yet, so hopefully I will understand better.
faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhnabird
Stats: 229/222/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start - Nov25/13
I'm not sure I "get it" either. I'm up to chapter 19 on Kindle and she's talking about how severe dieting set up a starvation response in her "animal" brain. I understand that; hunger can be a pretty major motivator to binge. But I'm not hungry when eating LC, yet I still binge. Maybe not for weeks or months, but I still binge.
I *so* want this to be the answer and I'll be devastated if it's just another dead end...
Mary in BC
myhnabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhnabird View Post
I'm not sure I "get it" either. I'm up to chapter 19 on Kindle and she's talking about how severe dieting set up a starvation response in her "animal" brain. I understand that; hunger can be a pretty major motivator to binge. But I'm not hungry when eating LC, yet I still binge. Maybe not for weeks or months, but I still binge.
I *so* want this to be the answer and I'll be devastated if it's just another dead end...
Mary in BC
I went to the website for the book that the author talks about-Rational Recovery and I have to say that I get it better now. The website is free and it explains how to do it. There are 28 'flash' cards there and it REALLY gave me some insight. I'm still glad I read brain over binge, becuase it gave me insight was well-especially about not white knuckling it through. I highly recommend RR as well. I only read the flash cards and I think I get it now, but I want to read the rest of the website.

For me, sometimes it is hunger that gets me to binge and sometimes not. I can be quite full and still binge. Also, the older I get the less bingeing I do and the more just flat out eating too much. I wasn't sure if this would work for that sort of thing, but then I saw a post over on another weightloss site by a member saying that she realized she was just an over-eater and not really a binge eater and it still helped her to get that under control.

With all that said, I am still reading and thinking. I feel like I really need to get a good understanding of the process before truly trying it. I've had too many failures to just jump in-which is what I would normally do.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I guess what I got from it all is the separation of your true thoughts (self) from your animal instinct messages, which are just misfires. Your animal brain can do nothing, but fire messages, it is powerless...meaning it can only fire the "urge" message but it is up to your "higher brain"(true self) to make you physically get up and walk into the kitchen, get food, and eat like there is no tomorrow. So you just must not reinforce the urge by bingeing.

If you see your binge urge (message from the lower brain) as just a meaningless message and don't answer those urgent messages they will eventually stop. The lower brain will stop misfiring because the neural pathway for that message doesn't work anymore. So you disassociate yourself (true self) from the urge, but not doing anything and eventually you "break" the neural pathway.

I know sounds stupid, but I actually visualize the "cutting of the cord" between my lower and higher brain and "see" the lower brain shriveling to its death.

HTH.

Last edited by steady; 07-11-2012 at 08:59 PM..
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #37
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Today I read the part about habit continuing the binge behavior after the need for extra food (because of prior dieting) had subsided and it made a lot of sense. She mentioned flossing as another example of a habit that is self-continuing, and it is very true for me. When I was younger I almost never flossed Now, I can't go a day without flossing and often do it twice a day. It all started when I first went LC and started eating more meat, but now it doesn't matter what I eat- even if it's nothing because I flossed after dinner at night and do it again first thing in the morning, but the habit is there and it's powerful.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Today I read the part about habit continuing the binge behavior after the need for extra food (because of prior dieting) had subsided and it made a lot of sense. She mentioned flossing as another example of a habit that is self-continuing, and it is very true for me. When I was younger I almost never flossed Now, I can't go a day without flossing and often do it twice a day. It all started when I first went LC and started eating more meat, but now it doesn't matter what I eat- even if it's nothing because I flossed after dinner at night and do it again first thing in the morning, but the habit is there and it's powerful.
I forgot about the "habit" bit in the book...Yes, I came to rely on bingeing as a habit...even in my journal I talked about not knowing how to function with out bingeing daily...truly a habit, didn't matter if it was a good day or bad day, but the idea of a "different" day without a binge was scary. Now I realize what started as emotional binge eating was just now a habit. I had always been successful in breaking bad habits and starting new good habits, but for some reason, before this book, I never saw bingeing as a habit only a compulsion.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
I went to the website for the book that the author talks about-Rational Recovery and I have to say that I get it better now. The website is free and it explains how to do it.
Can you please share the website name. TIA
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #40
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You need to read the entire book to 'get it.' It's a memoir, so the author takes you through her experiences, and she doesn't fully discuss the techniques for aborting the urges to binge until she is successful herself--near the end of the book.

I had to also work with her techniques until I found a version of them that worked for me. It's not simply a matter of getting 'the answer' from the book. IMO you have to apply the principles she explains to your own experience and see how you can similarly control those urges.

I'm still a 'work in progress,' but I wouldn't be making any progress at all were it not for this book and the insights it provides.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
The book Weight Loss Apocalypse is a great companion to Brain over Binge. The author of WLA discusses more fully the subject of eating ONLY when you are physiclaly hungry.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Can you please share the website name. TIA
Google Rational Recovery. It was designed with alcoholics and drug addicts in mind, but it was what the author of brain over binge used to get free.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

I have been reading Kathryn Hansen's blog and I found this post with tips for beginners. I think it really helps to see more how to do this with insights not found in the book. Be sure and read the comments section as well.BRAIN OVER BINGE: Tips for Beginners
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I've read it twice and its helped me both times. The author also has a blog and has several other additional bits of info on how to not engage that primal brain voice that she wrote after she had already published the book that I also found helpful.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 182/171/126 5'1"
WOE: Jumping around like a flea on a dog.
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhnabird View Post
Mary in BC
I think what the book and the Rational Recovery website explain so well is that the "animal brain" is a pleasure seeker.
It's not just after food for fuel but also the “buzz” that bingeing brings.

It's a kind of hard wiring that we have which encourages us to engage in certain survival activities...we are rewarded by a feel good chemical response and we become addicted to this and pushed by our “animal brain” to repeat our actions because it thinks we need to do this to survive.

The problem seems to be that we can become over dependent on these feelings and become unable to overule our animal brain, even though our actions may be actually damaging the body that the animal brain is trying so hard to maintain and protect.

A “lightbulb” moment for me was when I read the description of how the animal brain can make suggestions but it cannot perform any action by itself.
The poor creature is dependent on our higher brain bringing the Lindt chili chocolate home from the supermarket and ripping off the wrapping
Since reading the book I’ve managed to cut back on impulse eating drastically by recognising the sound of that voice. Instead of obeying it and heading for the kitchen and a short lived sugar rush I try instead to respond with a “Hi Beastie..Hi pal...I see what you did there”
Hopefully the “animal brain” will quieten down as it learns from experience that it’s body will not die without marshmallows and that all that yelling is only wearing itself out...
Dolores Claiborne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by A'smommy View Post
I've heard that eating a huge amount of fat when the craving comes on really helps some people. I have not read the book but I really struggle with this too. I'm so tired of getting so far and then binging, just to feel bad about myself and restart again. I'm just fed up with restarting! Hopefully that will be motivation enough to stay on plan this time. Good luck!
I have found this is true for me if my fat gets too low for too long it seems
to set me off for a binge. So I try to alternate my fat levels because too high
will stall me
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Claiborne View Post
Instead of obeying it and heading for the kitchen and a short lived sugar rush I try instead to respond with a “Hi Beastie..Hi pal...I see what you did there"
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhnabird
Stats: 229/222/160
Start Date: Re-start - Nov25/13
Well, despite not "getting it", I've not had a binge in 3 days. I make sure to eat 3 "normal" meals a day (what is normal, anyway?) and am watching out for hunger, as I'm pretty sure that'll be a trigger. When my lower brain starts making "suggestions", I observe with detachment, almost as though I'm watching TV or something. I must say, this is certainly not as hard as I thought it would be. "White-knuckling" has never worked for me so I'm pleased that's not part of the protocol.

I'm curious to see what happens going forward.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/? 5'2"
WOE: who knows ?
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
Okay, Just ordered this book from Amazon. Haven't binged in a few weeks, but would like to understand more about the reasons I do this occasionally ! Thanks for the info .
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/163/150, 5'10"
WOE: NK, VLC
Start Date: 1/29/99
Bumping this thread as I think some people will find it valuable.
DressageLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLover View Post
Bumping this thread as I think some people will find it valuable.
I thank you and so does Amazon.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I can usually end the urge to binge by eating a fat bomb and drinking a lot of water. Battled bulemia in my early 20s and managed to stop on my own but never overcame the binging (thus gaining 80 pounds) until I started eating the fat bombs.

If I do give in to the binge, I make sure it is a low carb binge and I don't feel too guilty because sometimes you really are just hungry or just want to eat. It's a journey.

All that said, this books sounds interesting. I'm adding to my reading list.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
My urges to binge unfold as follows:

(1) Situational Craving: Once every couple of weeks, something like Pizza or Doughnuts just calls to me after a STRESSFULL day/week stemming from whatever source (an "F-it" day). Alternatively, when going to the movies (Popcorn/junior mints/twizzlers), a party, or some kind of event (Disney/Fair etc...) I end up rationalizing that I "should" take the day off, b/c it is not worth battling multiple temptations at every corner all day long.

(It is possible for me to fight/resist these rationalizations and be proud is successful, however, I then feel stonger feelings of guilt for missing an opportunity to splurge when I should have made the most of a splurge, rather than wasting a splurge on just "F-it" days).

(2) Then comes the Glaze of Glory: Once I eat something carby enough to kick me out of ketosis (50 carbs or more), I rationalize that since the day is blown, I might as well get my desires out of my system, so I then eat everything I enjoy, with all intent to get back on the wagon immediately the next day. (I cannot fight this rationalization off - "moderation" is just not my thing).

(3) Then comes Procarbstination: Then B/C either:
(a) I didn't get everything I wanted to splurge on the day before,
(b) I feel guilty about not finishing/throwing away the bad left-overs, and/or
(c) *Feeling it's pointless to get back on the wagon today b/c of some other Event/Situation in (1) above that is in the next few days (since it takes me 3-4 days to get into keto):

I then "continue" to binge.

So, what I try to do to "prevent" my binges is attempt to "Control/Limit" the number of situations I place myself in, that would trigger the initial cravings. So far been trying to keep those situtations to 1 per month that is planned for (like a day at a theme park or a Bday, or date night etc...), and then I know something will come up triggering an accidental or "F" it day....
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.

Last edited by Taxbane; 01-09-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lychee
Stats: 140/119/95
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 2013
This book is changing my perspective completely. What works for Nevis remembering always:
The lizard brain is not me.
I have a system for logging and categorizing the binge urge thoughts/messages. That gives me something to do other than engaging with them and its easy to go on with my day after I've noted it without any struggle. I even went on with a normal day after eating some dark chocolate pretzels today, which is unheard of for me. I just ate what I set myself as a limit and then anticipated and logged the messages of "MIGHT AS WELL JUST KEEP EATING NOW!!!" that I knew would come. I know I'll have a little processed sugar hangover tomorrow, but an extra spoonful of lglutamine will take care of that.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #55
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have bumped this up on my Kindle so I can read it. I only have the sample now to see if I would like to get it eventually. Should not take me long to get through the little bit they let you have in the sample. Thanks for the reminder.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
So funny to look back and see that I bought this book on january 8 (as noted up thread) because I have not had any uncontrolled eating since january 7. I feel as if the book was a big part of that, but I don't know how. I have rarely thought of it after the first few days. I don't do the conscious lizard brain/human brain thing. Its almost like I just don't even have the lizard brain thoughts anymore (knock on wood!). I guess I still have them, but they are so much weaker than before. So strange!

One message that really helps me to remember, though, and I do think of this one if I am offered chocolate cake or something, is the thing about forming new neural pathways and weakening the old ones. For some reason I find it motivating to think if I refuse that cake, I'll be strengthening my will to resist in the future and if I give in and eat it, I'll be strengthening the old binge pathway.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Interesting. I would like to read it sometime. I used to have a serious problem with bingeing, but I never purged I just engaged in exercise ranging from 2 - 5hrs a day to burn off the excess calories. Just a little over a year ago I kept a lock on our carb cupboard.

I went VLC just over 2 months ago and have no urge to binge anymore. I also only exercise occasionally now, and I am never hungry, even though I am losing. Since going VLC I have no cravings for carb based foods. Sometimes if I get the urge to eat a small handful of nuts or piece of cheese satisfies the craving with no desire to go get more. It is interesting for me to experience this different way to life. I still have memories of extreme carb addiction and the experience of what it was like to binge (ie. the comfort of eating an entire bag of chips) but now that my brain is running on ketones, my brain doesn't seem to urge my body to get off the couch and go get my husbands bag of chips and chocolate bars from the carb cupboard. I think once a person can get their blood sugar and insulin levels under control they will avoid the blood sugar highs and lows that lead to bingeing behaviour. The purging, whether it is exercise or vomiting, is just a psychological fear of getting fat. It helps if you are very low carb and your brain is running on ketones instead of glucose. But it is when the blood sugar drops that your brain tells you to eat, and eat a food with a high sugar content. If you are trying to lose weight at the same time, it can complicate the issue because your blood sugar will constantly be dropping. The liver will release glycogen if your blood sugar is low and you are feeding your body enough carbs to keep the liver stocked. Some people (carb addicts especially) produce too much insulin and it causes a crash in blood sugar which just perpetuates the cycle.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I envy you. I am one who has a psychological reaction to deprivation of any kind. It triggers binging. Vlc makes me binge on fat. I do better with a moderately lowcarb and lower fat diet because I feel less deprived of any one macronutrient.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Interesting. I would like to read it sometime. I used to have a serious problem with bingeing, but I never purged I just engaged in exercise ranging from 2 - 5hrs a day to burn off the excess calories. Just a little over a year ago I kept a lock on our carb cupboard.

I went VLC just over 2 months ago and have no urge to binge anymore. I also only exercise occasionally now, and I am never hungry, even though I am losing. Since going VLC I have no cravings for carb based foods. Sometimes if I get the urge to eat a small handful of nuts or piece of cheese satisfies the craving with no desire to go get more. It is interesting for me to experience this different way to life. I still have memories of extreme carb addiction and the experience of what it was like to binge (ie. the comfort of eating an entire bag of chips) but now that my brain is running on ketones, my brain doesn't seem to urge my body to get off the couch and go get my husbands bag of chips and chocolate bars from the carb cupboard. I think once a person can get their blood sugar and insulin levels under control they will avoid the blood sugar highs and lows that lead to bingeing behaviour. The purging, whether it is exercise or vomiting, is just a psychological fear of getting fat. It helps if you are very low carb and your brain is running on ketones instead of glucose. But it is when the blood sugar drops that your brain tells you to eat, and eat a food with a high sugar content. If you are trying to lose weight at the same time, it can complicate the issue because your blood sugar will constantly be dropping. The liver will release glycogen if your blood sugar is low and you are feeding your body enough carbs to keep the liver stocked. Some people (carb addicts especially) produce too much insulin and it causes a crash in blood sugar which just perpetuates the cycle.
The author of Brain Over Binge did the same thing you did. Her "purges" were not vomiting, but over-exercising as a form of purge. I had never realizes that bulimics could purge in different ways like this.

The insulin cycle is what makes it so important for me to stay low-carb. I have finally come to realize that I HAVE to keep the carbs low, or I leave the "sweet spot" of low-carb where i am not ravenously hungry nor do I have cravings.

That, plus the mind exercises in Brain Over Binge, the Four Day Challenge, and Beck Diet have really helped me.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
thanks for the recommendation. I have been pretty down in the last few weeks because I feel like no matter how hard I try to stay on plan all week, I cave in on weekends when I'm with my bf or family or just emotions in general and no amount of "toughing it out" or trying to be mentally strong seems to work. I have a huge history of eating disorders and I have started to feel like there is just no hope for me! I will check out this book and give it a try.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote