LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Glucose tolerance test

Supposedly if you're low-carbing, that will screw up the results of a glucose tolerance test. So - how many days of eating carbs will give more accurate results? I feel awful eating off-plan and want to make this as short as possible....
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
When I had my GTT, my endo told me to eat high carb (for me) for THREE DAYS. She didn't specifiy a carb level, but I've since read that it should be at least 150g carbs a day, and 250g is preferable. I had at least that much because I ate 3 carb-intensive meals each day.

If it helps, I'm unusually carb sensitive, but I didn't experience any particular problems with the carbs and I got back on plan immediately after the test with no hunger or cravings involved.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
When I did this test, my doctor sent me out to go eat a stack of pancakes with regular syrup and come back two hours later for blood tests.

He wasn't concerned about my having been eating LC before the test.

(I did wish it wasn't stupid pancakes I had to eat - I don't even like them! But he was adamant )
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Thanks, guys.
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i never had one. i know i am diabetic & take 2 meds for it.

Dr Atkins suggested we take one BEFORE we begin Induction. In any case, I heard of a guy whose Dr ordered a GTT for him. The lab could never get a good reading, even after repeated testings. That was because he was a member of the KKK, and they have no tolerance for anything. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Wouldn't either a huge stack of syrup-drenched pancakes, and/or four days of high carb eating cause a larger spike of the blood glucose than someone whose system is used to that way of eating? I don't mean long term, of course, just around the time of the test?

And if that has been your WOE for years and there is no reason to expect you to suddenly change, wouldn't a test of the results of how you are actually living your life be more useful than the equivalent of crazy-overloading a laboratory rat to safety test some substance?

Encouraging a food addict to "just have one treat, so you'll stay motivated and on track" is like encouraging an alcoholic to just have one drink so they won't fall off the wagon.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't pretend to understand the science behind this, but it's well known that low carbers would have skewed results on a GTT, and could risk being diagnosed as diabetic when they're not.

The problem happens when people don't think to mention their WOE to the doctor who would never think to remind them that they need carbs--since the SAD is so common. My endo and I had discussed my WOE previously, so she knew I ate very low carb, and she was very careful in her instructions about having carbs prior to the test.

After that, I read up on this topic, and those are standard instructions for anyone who typically eats less than 100g carbs a day.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote