LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newRNcampbell
Stats: 238/238/120
WOE: Atkins
Anyone using Phentermine?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in a long time. I was a member here around 2009-ish and I lost around 40 lbs on Atkins. Over the last two years I have gained a ton of weight during nursing school (63 lbs) due to serious overeating. Now that I have graduated and passed my boards I really want to lose the weight again in order to be more competitive in the job market.

Tomorrow I have an appointment at a weight loss clinic that prescribes phentermine. I want to combine taking it along with Atkins to reach my goal. Is there anyone here that takes it and is also doing low carb?

I know that once ketosis kicks in it is a natural appetite suppresant, but during the last two years I've never gotten past the first few days and give up. At this point I really just want to lose weight.
newRNcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurelai
WOE: low carb my way for now
Start Date: May 1st 2012
I have it - I take it occasionally..usually on days I have to work both jobs and I know it will be a long stretch between my lunch time at job #1 and my break time at job #2

When I first started doing low carb I felt I needed it every day b/c I was soooo hungry all the time and me drastically cutting back it came in handy. Now I only use it when needed.
Laurelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
I used it years ago, and would never touch it again.
It works well to suppress appetite - for a while. Its not intended for long term use although a lot of clinics will keep giving it out like candy. After a while most people tend to build up a tolerance and it doesn't work as well. Last time I took it, I thought I was losing my mind. Seriously. It can cause mood disturbances and boy was I irritable. I quit taking it even though I had bought a 90 day supply - several hundred dollars worth and was only about 2 weeks in.

I'm also a new grad nurse, I take boards next week. Can't wait to get that over with!

I won't try talking you out of taking Phentermine, but I wonder if now that school and boards are out of the way, if you might find it a bit easier to stay on plan?

I know how stressful nursing school is and all that stress is just not conducive to losing weight. I was already low carbing when I started nursing school, I didn't gain weight but it became a lot harder to lose. My weight loss came to a full stop those last 2 semesters. I knew it was stress so I just stopped trying to lose weight and pretty much went into maintenance for a while. Funny thing, weight started coming off again a few months ago when graduation was coming close and some of the other life stressors started to ease up.

In any event, good luck on your journey.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 06-13-2012 at 09:26 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cara7166
Stats: 325/217/200 next goal!
WOE: Atkins for first 65 pounds, then HCG
Start Date: Nov 1, 2011
I tried it. I can't take it, took my blood pressure straight up. Doc took me right off of it after he saw what it did.
cara7166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SamiKing
Stats: 196/179/154
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I have never used it and don't know anything about it, but in general I don't like tablets that take us out of 'natural mode' because relying on things like that to lose weight can be dangerous - what happens when you stop taking it? That said, it's totally up to you how you decide to lose weight so go for it if you think it's the best way for you. You've already touched on the fact that ketosis suppresses appetite and this is DEFINITELY true. I take a medication that stimulates appetite greatly (which is why I put on so much weight and why I'm here) but since I've been on the Atkins diet, my appetite has gone right down again to basically nothing. So, even though I'm taking something that makes me eat more, ketosis has totally counteracted that.

Welcome to lowcarbfriends and good luck with your weight loss! Congrats on finishing nursing school
SamiKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Like the last poster, I have no experience with the drug.

I just wanted to point out that having a support-group can make a big difference, too. Having these boards has "kept me honest" this time around, and kept me from drifting off-plan.

Sacramento? Lived there till just after my son was born. We're in Chico, now.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I used it in the 90's and have a slight heart valve problem from it
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I used it many years ago. It worked OK while I took it but was only allowed to be on it for 3 months. I gained everything I lost back & then some. Horrible experience. I do not recommend it or any similar pills.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Khewes
Leaking valve here. Just be very careful with these drugs.
Khewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

@ laurelai and tulips- I'm planning on using it just until I get the hang of LCing again and then only using it when I need it. And although school is done now I know that trying to find a job will be just as stressful haha. Good luck on your NCLEX tulips!

This isn't the Fen-Phen coupling so I don't think the same valve effects.

I just took the first one so we will see how it goes =)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
Start Date: ongoing
I took Phen Fen in 97+98 until it was pulled from market.I lost 60 lbs,but after that I found Atkins and lost another 110 lbs.2010 I gained rapidly,after maintaining the loss over 10 yrs.Ended up with many health probs,diabetes,hypothyroid,high BP too.I do have a leak in valve but cardio said it was congenital,not Phen-Fen.From Sept 11,to 5-12 I've been taking Bontril,a diet drug.I did so good at first,even lost 18 lbs during induction.I'd never lost that much before on induction. Few mos later,gaining and starving again,diet pill stopped working.Its better to lose wt on your own,and I know we all can,on this WOE
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
I took it in the 90s and got down to goal (155). I loved it. It's basically legal speed, so I was absolutely euphoric.

I wouldn't do the same thing again now that I'm much older and somewhat wiser, but if you're under a doctor's care and planning to use it short term AND you're in good health otherwise, it might be a useful tool for you.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Took it the first time about 9 yrs ago and lost a Lot of weight. Tried it again last yr and it zonked me out! Worked great for no appetite but it made me fuzzy headed and sleepy
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
BTW, what clinic is still prescribing it these days? Not that I'm heading over; just curious.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
Start Date: June 2008
I've been taking it off and on for a while. I'm one of those that do not get surpressed appitite with Atkins so I felt I needed something. Everyone is different. It works better for some then others. When I first started taking it it zonked me out like that other poster mentioned. Now that I'm more use to it, I get a bit of energy from it and appititite control. It you are not getting it from a doctor make sure it's the real thing. Only you can know if how it's making you feel is ok with you. Good luck,

Susan
Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=newRNcampbell;15725564And although school is done now I know that trying to find a job will be just as stressful haha. Good luck on your NCLEX tulips!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks NewRN,
Ahh, yes the job hunt is still stressful. Wishing you good luck with your job search and your weight loss journey.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

There are a few weight loss clinics around here in the Sacramento area that prescribe it. I went to the cheapest place ($85 per month) which was also the closest to my house. It is prescribed by a doctor there.

Its been a few hours since I had my first dose and I have no hunger at all even though I hadn't eaten today until now. Feels like how I used to after induction =)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
Start Date: April 10,2012
I have taken it and the weight came off nicely but I was crabby and irritable. It made me feel jittery also. But I did lose weight and it really does suppress your apetite.

If you are worried about cravings during induction, you may want to check out the book, The Diet Cure, by Julia Ross, which talks about which supplements will reduce your cravings. That should get you through the rough patches initially. People swear by this and there is even a thread up about it on the first page here.

Good luck to you and I hope your job search goes well! HUGS!!
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Bama4life
WOE: Lowcarb--Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2008
Well I take Adipex along with a water pill (both prescribed by my Dr.) along with a LC diet. I have only noticed the irritability but only when I go all day without eating after breakfast. If I don't at least eat some peanuts or something then I get very irritable! LOL It does work and I have lost weight, I took a couple of months off of them in the winter because I could not afford them and just started back this past April, well after 18 days of LC and the pills, I had lost 21 lbs. in 18 days. I don't have any problem with them but I don't plan on taking them forever. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
I'd avoid any and all appetite suppressants. They're reallly a racket. As many here have shown, application of a consistent LC program will ABSOLUTELY bring you results without pouring chemicals into your body.

In the same fashion, there a number of agent for various addictions like smoking, alcoholism, opiate abuse, etc. While they can selectively be of some utility, clinicians find that the folks who are MOST successful addressing such maladies are those who can adopt a behavioral plan and STICK WITH IT. No drug on earth will stop you from smoking unless you are HIGHLY MOTIVATED to stop; I feel the same about dieting. JMHO.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CurlyGirly
Stats: 212/199.0/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I've used it more times than I would care to count. I used it long-term under dr's supervision. I worked really well for me about 17 years ago. I got down to 127 from the 150s. Stopped using it when I had kids. Later tried it again and never lost more than 10-20 pounds. That was with a starting weight of around 190-210ish. I have done just as well doing low carb alone this time. I hope to be below 200 soon. I know I can do it without the appetite suppressant. I used it long enough that it lost its effectiveness on me. Now all the fat I eat suppresses my appetite just as well!
CurlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
I've tried it, not with low carb...just in general years ago. I always adapted to it too quickly and it stopped working.
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kmcintosh21
Stats: 225/187/150
WOE: Just Plain Low carb.. under 20 a day
Start Date: July 09
We have a clinic down here that prescribes it
Along w a low carb diet.. They also do some fat
Blocker shots? I think they are.. And you go weigh
In each week.. I haven't done it but family does.. It
Works for them.. I've takin the pills and we joke about it..
They are basically "crack" pills.. We could clean the whole house,
Run a marathon, and cut the whole 2 acres w a push mower..
But like some of y'all said.. They will stop working.. You build a tolerance..
Good Luck!
kmcintosh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
I know womeone that took it way back when and died from heart valve problems..... had been overweight all of her life and kept going from doctor to doctor. I think that it states that you should only take for 3 - 6 months max and then quit. You never know the long term impact of stuff like this and it is just not worth it. One way or another we all have to find a way to deal with our eating issues. Expensive too! I would rather spend my money on shrimp or steak and eat it every night
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi NewRNCampbell, I hope you are doing well,

I thought of this thread last week, I passed boards and my first interview for an RN job was at a weight loss clinic. LOL, oh the irony!

I didn't get the job though, but its OK. I'm more interested in psych nursing so I'm hoping an interview I had last week for a psych facility comes through. Just interesting that my first interview was at a weight loss clinic.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: megansmom39
Stats: 249/223/130
WOE: Mixed
Start Date: 5/29/2012
In my experience I took phen lost weight and gained it back. I took it for 3 months. As a nurse myself and familiar with school and the job I'ld say you're a stress eater and maybe before you use phen maybe you might want to try something to help you deal with stress. When I was in school I ended up on paxil quit smoking and over eating and lost weight because I got my stress levels down. Good luck.
megansmom39 is offline   Reply With Quote