LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sine23
Stats: 178/168/132
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 11th june 2012
quest bars on atkins ?

hi, im a newbie and not sure if this is in the right section, but is it okay to eat protein bars called quest on induction of atkins, theyre 20g of carbs so i couldnt eat a whole bar or i wouldnt be able to eat much more in the day
sine23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
Ton of fiber. No sugar or sugar alcohols. Cleanest bar I have found. Do have a lot of sodium. They get rave reviews. Way better than Atkins bars as far as ingredients go. They net to about 5 carbs with the fiber. Soooooo good. Probably not recommended for induction though.
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

thanks for that great info, i can deal with that, ive ordered the chocolate ones so ill keep them until im happy with my induction 'or' if i feel a slip coming on lol thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

Gallery: Divinexheirocity
Stats: 186/175/170
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 5/21/2012
I was just looking at these too. The peanut butter ones look sinful. And the net carbs are lowest i've seen out there compared to what's available!
Divinexheirocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love&Luck
Stats: (229) 181/168.5/140 5'4"
WOE: NK
Start Date: yep
I order these for my DF who is T2. He likes them quite a bit. I've tried them but they have that odd sort of dry-ish protein bar texture still. But I've never found a protein bar I like though... I can say if you take the chocolate and cut it in half and microwave it you get a decent cookie
Love&Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

lol love&luck good idea, protein bars can be quite sickly and they are expensive so theyd last double the time if i caut them in half.
divinexheirocity yes im really happy about the carbs so fingers crossed if i do eat one in induction it wont do too much harm, sine23
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/271/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
Looooove Quest bars. They do not affect my blood sugars, I get no cravings for sweets afterwards and they are so tasty. Love the PB+J ones and the coconut cashew ones. I have not used them on induction yet, but have when I was just plain low carbing and not following Atkins per se and they are great. I find that if it's between a cheat or a Quest bar or no meal at all...it's great. For me, I probably wouldn't eat them everyday though.
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorpie View Post
Ton of fiber. No sugar or sugar alcohols. Cleanest bar I have found. Do have a lot of sodium. They get rave reviews. Way better than Atkins bars as far as ingredients go. They net to about 5 carbs with the fiber. Soooooo good. Probably not recommended for induction though.
Couldn't agree more^^^^
I eat half one everyday
- no cravings triggered
- fill u up
- not loaded w sa s
- delicious
- all fiber n protein
- does not raise my bs
- note- I only eat half at a time cuz I'm. Cool like that but try the brownie or coconut cashew warmed up in microwave it's the best
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
Start Date: August2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesebaby View Post
Looooove Quest bars. They do not affect my blood sugars, I get no cravings for sweets afterwards and they are so tasty. Love the PB+J ones and the coconut cashew ones. I have not used them on induction yet, but have when I was just plain low carbing and not following Atkins per se and they are great. I find that if it's between a cheat or a Quest bar or no meal at all...it's great. For me, I probably wouldn't eat them everyday though.
^^^ agreed totally
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Humm..
I need to look into these for DH... He needs a decent bar for snacks at work.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Have just finished off a box of apple and peanut butter supreme. Loved them both. May do different flavors in individuals to see which one I will like the best. I microwave, eat as they are and sometimes chop into squares and keep in my purse for snack attacks. Used them before 5K race twice and it was the perfect "meal" to get me through.
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

great info thanks guys
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I just had my first Quest bar this morning after my workout... it was the chocolate brownie flavor. I wasn't real impressed. It tastes very similar to a chocolate Power Bar, without the sugar of course! Also, they are pretty spendy ($2.50 per bar at the Vitamin Shoppe).

Last edited by Macc0021; 06-12-2012 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: sp
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NanMc
Stats: 161/135/135
WOE: moderate carb
Start Date: March 2011
Quest bars are my favorite by far, the price keeps me from over indulging.
NanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
These Quest bars have been a big plus for me. I like some of the flavors more than others (espec. like the vanilla almond and peanut butter supreme, followed by the peanut butter and jelly and brownie. Didn't care for the fruitier ones. But the ingredients are honest w/o weird flavors and while sucralose is used, apparantly no sugar alcohols that can cause stomach distress for some. Plus, they're not as "carby" as they first appear as you can take out the fiber carbs to get "net carbs" which most Atkins followers do, so the really range from 4-6 NET carbs. Not sure if these are best for induction, but when you do feel feel ready to eat them try this tip someone gave to me: warm them for about 10-20 secs in the microwave. They soften and the flavors seem to meld better. I like to pick pieces off and eat the bar slowly for my lunch and I find them very filling and satisfying. The best of the protein bars IMO, w/as much protein as 3 eggs, and the least sugar and artificial ingredients.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

thanks tracey thats ok i think i can hold out until after my induction, im not having cravings so all is well. i have maxpower bars from before i started atkins so i dont mind them being too chewy, it slows down the binge lol, thanks again peeps
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GratefulParrot
Stats: Old playing weight of 245
WOE: induction
Start Date: 9/12/11
I've never done the quest bars. But I do the Pure Protein Bars. Low in sugar, but yes does have sugar alcohol (blasphemy). I've had those as a snack all the way through induction and now in WOE, and they have been fantastic for me. But hey, according to most on this site...I'm a slacker because I don't measure, weight, take measurements, etc....
GratefulParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
I just had my first Quest bar this morning after my workout... it was the chocolate brownie flavor. I wasn't real impressed. It tastes very similar to a chocolate Power Bar, without the sugar of course! Also, they are pretty spendy ($2.50 per bar at the Vitamin Shoppe).
I thought I was the only one that wasn't impressed with these bars. Maybe my tastes have changed since I started low carbing and eating so many delicious foods. I just can't do the bars and shake thing anymore. Especially the bars, they taste like cardboard. I'd rather put that money towards some pork chops.

For the OP, I probably would not have them on Induction. I'm not against bars and low carb products if one likes them when you get to later stages. I just think Induction should really be done as cleanly as possible.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
When I cut the Vanilla Almond Quest bars in 1/2 inch slices it feels and tastes just like eating a Bit O Honey. I like to use them like this- little pieces fo ra sweet treat after meals. I guess I do kind of worry about the whole carb vs net carb thing and how to count them for me. Very reassuring the post that said blood sugar didnt go up after eating them though.
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
you know--I have raved about these bars and loved them as a meal replacement. Recently, though, I became suspicious that they were behind some weight gain I suffered. I tested my blood sugars an hour after eating them--sky high. I won't buy them again I also did a little internet search and found that others had similar problems. Some of us seem to metabolize fibers like they were sugars. oh well. ymmv
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ouis- Thanks for posting this. I love the Quest bars and recently took some with me for a long plane trip, and although I don't test my blood sugar, it was clear to me that my body was 'reacting' to the bars as though I'd had sugar.

So no more for me [sigh]
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
They are good in a pinch, but I agree with the person who posted above when they said they tasted like protein powder...not near as good tasting to me as many make them sound...their presentation has alot to be desired too, they don't look very appetizing compared to some bars,but like I said good alternative to something not on plan...I would however stay away from shakes and bars if you are in induction, it will help you to lose faster, this is only my opinion.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
you know--I have raved about these bars and loved them as a meal replacement. Recently, though, I became suspicious that they were behind some weight gain I suffered. I tested my blood sugars an hour after eating them--sky high. I won't buy them again I also did a little internet search and found that others had similar problems. Some of us seem to metabolize fibers like they were sugars. oh well. ymmv
I was wondering about the fiber thing myself...I read that fiber should only be subtracted if it is naturally found in the food product and not added fiber. Example the fiber in almond meal subtract because it comes from the almond...the fiber in the bar subtract ? yes or no ? Where does all the fiber come from is it fiber added just to add fiber?
If we could subtract added fiber I could eat a big mac bun and all then just take a fiber supplement with it in my drink and subtract that fiber,Right? I would think not but I am not sure...lol
Now that I have hijacked this thread for this question are there any thoughts or should I start a new thread?

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I was wondering about the fiber thing myself...I read that fiber should only be subtracted if it is naturally found in the food product and not added fiber. Example the fiber in almond meal subtract because it comes from the almond...the fiber in the bar subtract ? yes or no ? Where does all the fiber come from is it fiber added just to add fiber?
If we could subtract added fiber I could eat a big mac bun and all then just take a fiber supplement with it in my drink and subtract that fiber,Right? I would think not but I am not sure...lol
Now that I have hijacked this thread for this question are there any thoughts or should I start a new thread?
I was wondering the same thing!! If you just add fiber to food so that you can subtract it out as a carb, can you really minus out the fiber carbs? I am skeptical about that in any protein bar or LC treat/candy/bar.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gmorphis
fiber is a carb...

Fiber is a Carbohydrate.
So if you add additional fiber you're adding additional carbs.
Simply put: you can't add fiber to something to take away carbs.
For example if you take something with 5 net carbs and then add flax meal (almost 0 net carbs = 1 gram fiber and 1 carb) you're still adding 1 carb for a total of 6, then take away one for the fiber so you're back to 5.

Hope that helps!
gmorphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
Wasn't impressed with them, as much as I wanted to be. They DID raise my husbands blood sugar, he is type II diabetic, and low carb should NOT do that. Won't buy them again, although I loved the convenience.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/203/150
Start Date: Feb 2012
I eat them sometimes and they do not raise my sugar or do they cause cravings. I guess everybody is different. But now atkins bars cause VERY bad cravings for me!! NOt that I eat either to much but I do eat quest bars a few times a week. I think they taste really good when put in the mircrowave for a few secs.

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I think all of these bars should be avoided. You really need to eat real food. For an occasional snack the bars can work, but they shouldn't be a part of you daily diet. In order to be successful, you need to find a better solution for your snacks.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tubbette
Stats: 183/172.6/135 lbs.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 01/07/2013
My 2 cents....My husband and I love Quest Bars. We buy 2 boxes and split the flavors between us. I tend to take a bar in my purse as an EMERGENCY food. I do not snack between meals, so this is simply a prevention from being in a situation I can't control. For example, I had not budgeted time and had to go to a gym meet and 3 hours later I was so starving I ate at Chick Fil A and totally caved because I had no bar in my purse. It's a long story and there is more to it than just that, but suffice it to say, if I had put a bar in my purse I doubt seriously that would have happened.

Idea #2 - Sometimes I crave a sweet after dinner and again I am out and about and can't do anything about it. For this purpose I carry around a cut up bar. I usually cut up the chocolate or the chocolate peanut butter into small bite size pieces (say 4 or 8). It's like having a tootsie roll (kinda) after dinner. It's perfect.

These 2 things have helped me stay on track this time. I would not recommend eating one every day. I would not recommend them as a meal replacement, but used properly, they are very helpful.

Previously:
Started 02/28/11 and kept it off until 05/06/12
Original Starting weight 183
Weight Achieved 148.7
Goal 135 lbs.
tubbette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
I LOVE Quest Bars for their convenience and taste. Compared to other protein bars they have a great texture and flavor. Plus, they provide 20 gms of protein. Others I've tried have 12-15 gms per bar. The ones I eat, Coconut, Lemon, Cinnamon Bun, do not have the cardboard taste. I only buy the "Natural" ones as they have 1-2 net carbs each.

Janice
freeman525 is offline   Reply With Quote