Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   quest bars on atkins ? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/774117-quest-bars-atkins.html)

sine23 06-11-2012 06:08 AM

quest bars on atkins ?

hi, im a newbie and not sure if this is in the right section, but is it okay to eat protein bars called quest on induction of atkins, theyre 20g of carbs so i couldnt eat a whole bar or i wouldnt be able to eat much more in the day :dunno:

alligatorpie 06-11-2012 07:41 AM

Ton of fiber. No sugar or sugar alcohols. Cleanest bar I have found. Do have a lot of sodium. They get rave reviews. Way better than Atkins bars as far as ingredients go. They net to about 5 carbs with the fiber. Soooooo good. Probably not recommended for induction though.

sine23 06-11-2012 09:55 AM

thanks for that great info, i can deal with that, ive ordered the chocolate ones so ill keep them until im happy with my induction 'or' if i feel a slip coming on lol thanks

Divinexheirocity 06-11-2012 10:07 AM

I was just looking at these too. The peanut butter ones look sinful. And the net carbs are lowest i've seen out there compared to what's available!

Love&Luck 06-11-2012 10:09 AM

I order these for my DF who is T2. He likes them quite a bit. I've tried them but they have that odd sort of dry-ish protein bar texture still. But I've never found a protein bar I like though... I can say if you take the chocolate and cut it in half and microwave it you get a decent cookie:)

sine23 06-11-2012 10:18 AM

lol love&luck good idea, protein bars can be quite sickly and they are expensive so theyd last double the time if i caut them in half.
divinexheirocity yes im really happy about the carbs so fingers crossed if i do eat one in induction it wont do too much harm, sine23

Geesebaby 06-11-2012 10:34 AM

Looooove Quest bars. :jumpjoy: They do not affect my blood sugars, I get no cravings for sweets afterwards and they are so tasty. Love the PB+J ones and the coconut cashew ones. I have not used them on induction yet, but have when I was just plain low carbing and not following Atkins per se and they are great. I find that if it's between a cheat or a Quest bar or no meal at all...it's great. For me, I probably wouldn't eat them everyday though.

Dredaye9 06-11-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alligatorpie (Post 15716686)
Ton of fiber. No sugar or sugar alcohols. Cleanest bar I have found. Do have a lot of sodium. They get rave reviews. Way better than Atkins bars as far as ingredients go. They net to about 5 carbs with the fiber. Soooooo good. Probably not recommended for induction though.

Couldn't agree more^^^^
I eat half one everyday
- no cravings triggered
- fill u up
- not loaded w sa s
- delicious
- all fiber n protein
- does not raise my bs
- note- I only eat half at a time cuz I'm. Cool like that but try the brownie or coconut cashew warmed up in microwave it's the best

Dredaye9 06-11-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geesebaby (Post 15717250)
Looooove Quest bars. :jumpjoy: They do not affect my blood sugars, I get no cravings for sweets afterwards and they are so tasty. Love the PB+J ones and the coconut cashew ones. I have not used them on induction yet, but have when I was just plain low carbing and not following Atkins per se and they are great. I find that if it's between a cheat or a Quest bar or no meal at all...it's great. For me, I probably wouldn't eat them everyday though.

^^^ agreed totally

daisyHair 06-11-2012 11:38 AM

Humm..
I need to look into these for DH... He needs a decent bar for snacks at work.

sports_mom 06-11-2012 01:08 PM

Have just finished off a box of apple and peanut butter supreme. Loved them both. May do different flavors in individuals to see which one I will like the best. I microwave, eat as they are and sometimes chop into squares and keep in my purse for snack attacks. Used them before 5K race twice and it was the perfect "meal" to get me through.

sine23 06-12-2012 03:05 AM

great info thanks guys

johnsa37 06-12-2012 08:17 AM

I just had my first Quest bar this morning after my workout... it was the chocolate brownie flavor. I wasn't real impressed. It tastes very similar to a chocolate Power Bar, without the sugar of course! Also, they are pretty spendy ($2.50 per bar at the Vitamin Shoppe).

NanMc 06-12-2012 04:54 PM

Quest bars are my favorite by far, the price keeps me from over indulging.

mainemom 06-12-2012 08:56 PM

These Quest bars have been a big plus for me. I like some of the flavors more than others (espec. like the vanilla almond and peanut butter supreme, followed by the peanut butter and jelly and brownie. Didn't care for the fruitier ones. But the ingredients are honest w/o weird flavors and while sucralose is used, apparantly no sugar alcohols that can cause stomach distress for some. Plus, they're not as "carby" as they first appear as you can take out the fiber carbs to get "net carbs" which most Atkins followers do, so the really range from 4-6 NET carbs. Not sure if these are best for induction, but when you do feel feel ready to eat them try this tip someone gave to me: warm them for about 10-20 secs in the microwave. They soften and the flavors seem to meld better. I like to pick pieces off and eat the bar slowly for my lunch and I find them very filling and satisfying. The best of the protein bars IMO, w/as much protein as 3 eggs, and the least sugar and artificial ingredients.

sine23 06-13-2012 04:00 AM

thanks tracey thats ok i think i can hold out until after my induction, im not having cravings so all is well. i have maxpower bars from before i started atkins so i dont mind them being too chewy, it slows down the binge lol, thanks again peeps

GratefulParrot 06-13-2012 07:11 AM

I've never done the quest bars. But I do the Pure Protein Bars. Low in sugar, but yes does have sugar alcohol (blasphemy). I've had those as a snack all the way through induction and now in WOE, and they have been fantastic for me. But hey, according to most on this site...I'm a slacker because I don't measure, weight, take measurements, etc....

tulipsandroses 06-13-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macc0021 (Post 15719381)
I just had my first Quest bar this morning after my workout... it was the chocolate brownie flavor. I wasn't real impressed. It tastes very similar to a chocolate Power Bar, without the sugar of course! Also, they are pretty spendy ($2.50 per bar at the Vitamin Shoppe).

I thought I was the only one that wasn't impressed with these bars. Maybe my tastes have changed since I started low carbing and eating so many delicious foods. I just can't do the bars and shake thing anymore. Especially the bars, they taste like cardboard. I'd rather put that money towards some pork chops.

For the OP, I probably would not have them on Induction. I'm not against bars and low carb products if one likes them when you get to later stages. I just think Induction should really be done as cleanly as possible.

Gabby1 07-19-2012 03:25 PM

When I cut the Vanilla Almond Quest bars in 1/2 inch slices it feels and tastes just like eating a Bit O Honey. I like to use them like this- little pieces fo ra sweet treat after meals. I guess I do kind of worry about the whole carb vs net carb thing and how to count them for me. Very reassuring the post that said blood sugar didnt go up after eating them though.

ouizoid 07-19-2012 03:46 PM

you know--I have raved about these bars and loved them as a meal replacement. Recently, though, I became suspicious that they were behind some weight gain I suffered. I tested my blood sugars an hour after eating them--sky high. I won't buy them again :( I also did a little internet search and found that others had similar problems. Some of us seem to metabolize fibers like they were sugars. oh well. ymmv

Leo41 07-19-2012 04:35 PM

Ouis- Thanks for posting this. I love the Quest bars and recently took some with me for a long plane trip, and although I don't test my blood sugar, it was clear to me that my body was 'reacting' to the bars as though I'd had sugar.

So no more for me [sigh]

lterry913 07-19-2012 07:13 PM

They are good in a pinch, but I agree with the person who posted above when they said they tasted like protein powder...not near as good tasting to me as many make them sound...their presentation has alot to be desired too, they don't look very appetizing compared to some bars,but like I said good alternative to something not on plan...I would however stay away from shakes and bars if you are in induction, it will help you to lose faster, this is only my opinion.

lterry913 07-19-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 15813989)
you know--I have raved about these bars and loved them as a meal replacement. Recently, though, I became suspicious that they were behind some weight gain I suffered. I tested my blood sugars an hour after eating them--sky high. I won't buy them again :( I also did a little internet search and found that others had similar problems. Some of us seem to metabolize fibers like they were sugars. oh well. ymmv

I was wondering about the fiber thing myself...I read that fiber should only be subtracted if it is naturally found in the food product and not added fiber. Example the fiber in almond meal subtract because it comes from the almond...the fiber in the bar subtract ? yes or no ? Where does all the fiber come from is it fiber added just to add fiber?
If we could subtract added fiber I could eat a big mac bun and all then just take a fiber supplement with it in my drink and subtract that fiber,Right? I would think not but I am not sure...lol
Now that I have hijacked this thread for this question are there any thoughts or should I start a new thread?
:dunno:

johnsa37 07-20-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 15814432)
I was wondering about the fiber thing myself...I read that fiber should only be subtracted if it is naturally found in the food product and not added fiber. Example the fiber in almond meal subtract because it comes from the almond...the fiber in the bar subtract ? yes or no ? Where does all the fiber come from is it fiber added just to add fiber?
If we could subtract added fiber I could eat a big mac bun and all then just take a fiber supplement with it in my drink and subtract that fiber,Right? I would think not but I am not sure...lol
Now that I have hijacked this thread for this question are there any thoughts or should I start a new thread?
:dunno:

I was wondering the same thing!! If you just add fiber to food so that you can subtract it out as a carb, can you really minus out the fiber carbs? I am skeptical about that in any protein bar or LC treat/candy/bar.

gmorphis 01-17-2013 04:46 PM

fiber is a carb...

Fiber is a Carbohydrate.
So if you add additional fiber you're adding additional carbs.
Simply put: you can't add fiber to something to take away carbs.
For example if you take something with 5 net carbs and then add flax meal (almost 0 net carbs = 1 gram fiber and 1 carb) you're still adding 1 carb for a total of 6, then take away one for the fiber so you're back to 5.

Hope that helps!

MSS726 01-18-2013 01:55 PM

Wasn't impressed with them, as much as I wanted to be. They DID raise my husbands blood sugar, he is type II diabetic, and low carb should NOT do that. Won't buy them again, although I loved the convenience.

jhbyrd 01-18-2013 02:29 PM

I eat them sometimes and they do not raise my sugar or do they cause cravings. I guess everybody is different. But now atkins bars cause VERY bad cravings for me!! NOt that I eat either to much but I do eat quest bars a few times a week. I think they taste really good when put in the mircrowave for a few secs.

Jeannie

Big Stevie 01-18-2013 04:30 PM

I think all of these bars should be avoided. You really need to eat real food. For an occasional snack the bars can work, but they shouldn't be a part of you daily diet. In order to be successful, you need to find a better solution for your snacks.

tubbette 01-22-2013 08:40 AM

My 2 cents....My husband and I love Quest Bars. We buy 2 boxes and split the flavors between us. I tend to take a bar in my purse as an EMERGENCY food. I do not snack between meals, so this is simply a prevention from being in a situation I can't control. For example, I had not budgeted time and had to go to a gym meet and 3 hours later I was so starving I ate at Chick Fil A and totally caved because I had no bar in my purse. It's a long story and there is more to it than just that, but suffice it to say, if I had put a bar in my purse I doubt seriously that would have happened.

Idea #2 - Sometimes I crave a sweet after dinner and again I am out and about and can't do anything about it. For this purpose I carry around a cut up bar. I usually cut up the chocolate or the chocolate peanut butter into small bite size pieces (say 4 or 8). It's like having a tootsie roll (kinda) after dinner. It's perfect.

These 2 things have helped me stay on track this time. I would not recommend eating one every day. I would not recommend them as a meal replacement, but used properly, they are very helpful.

freeman525 01-22-2013 09:05 AM

I LOVE Quest Bars for their convenience and taste. Compared to other protein bars they have a great texture and flavor. Plus, they provide 20 gms of protein. Others I've tried have 12-15 gms per bar. The ones I eat, Coconut, Lemon, Cinnamon Bun, do not have the cardboard taste. I only buy the "Natural" ones as they have 1-2 net carbs each.

Janice