Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rejnme4
Stats: 340/325/150
Start Date: May 2011
Really Need Some Motivation

I started LC last May and did very well. I lost 35 pounds and was feeling great. But I somehow got off track over the holidays, then had some major life changes and seasonal depression over the winter. I ended up gaining back most of the weight I lost and have been struggling to get back to my LC. For some reason I just haven't been able to stick to it any more.

Today I went to the store and bought lots of good food and my mom came over and helped me fix some meals and snacks ahead so I don't have any excuse not to get started. But I could really use some motivation and advice to help me get back to LCing once and for all. I know this can work for me and I really want to be successful.

What can I do to get back on track for good?
rejnme4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
There's a good thread on this board, not too far down, that is entitled "What did it take for you to stay on woe?" I think that might give you some good motivation. Also, consider joining a challenge group and posting daily; that can help you feel accountable and get good positive reinforcement when you lose weight and stay on plan. It's great that you got a bunch of appropriate snacks and meals fixed ahead, but if you have difficulty resisting high carb food, you might consider also clearing out what isn't low carb, or at least putting it in a different cupboard than your low carb foods. Finally, I find writing down EVERYthing I eat and keeping a journal to address how I felt (including small victories along the way) definitely helps me. Some people also use online programs like ****** to stay accountable, too.

Good luck!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redrobin
Stats: (278/178/150)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 4, 2011
More than just weightloss...

The moment it clicked that sugar/carbs made me tired, made my joints sore, clouded my brain, gave me chest pains/ racing pulse, and caused inflammation that would probably take my life via a heart attack it all became much easier. The weight continues to drip off, but the other benefits are life changing. I feel where you are at, been there myself. Spend some time thinking about the quality of your life, and the sacrifices suddenly don't seem so huge. And, check out all the amazing recipes-you won't miss much!
redrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I am rooting for you!!! Finding some really great recipes has helped me so much. I don't ever get bored with my food anymore. I feel great!! Just today I have:went shopping for appliances, stocked up at Sam's Club, mowed the grass, cooked dinner, washed 5 loads of clothes, chopped and put up 8 quarts of squash from the garden, and mopped the kitchen floor. I would have NEVER been able to do all of that just six weeks ago!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
YOU ARE LUCKY!!! Not many people are lucky enough to be able diet.

Only a small percentage of the world can become significantly overweight.
It is a gift to have such abudance (even imperfect foods) and the ease in which to obtain it.
It is a blessing to be able to pick and choose which foods we eat.

YOU ARE INCREDIBLY LUCKY!!!!

You have the oportunity to respect your gifts and celebrate your good luck by not abusing your body!

ENJOY!

Last edited by Spanilingo; 05-28-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NanaLB
Stats: 336/304/175
WOE: Fat to Skinny/Atkins
Start Date: March 2012
You Can Do This!! Believe in yourself and know you are worth it!! That is what i am sticking to and I am going to do it this time! Hang in there and we can do this !!
NanaLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CurlyGirly
Stats: 212/199.0/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Just as the others have said, You CAN do it!! Just getting started is the first step back on the right track. Good for your mom in helping you do some cooking.
CurlyGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/244/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Find a piece of clothing that is a little too tight and lay it out so you see it several times a day.

I have only lost 12 pounds, but fitting into that (a little too snug ) top after only 6 weeks makes me feel like I have acomplished something.

Join us in the "Thinner in Three" thread in the challenge forum. We have only had it going a couple of weeks. No rules, just try to be thinner in 3 months.
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I try to stay motivated by making the most delicious meals I can afford/manage with my schedule. that way I always have something to look forward to.

as well, I think a lot about how miserable I was. not just physically, but mentally. eating carbs gives me crazy mood swings, and it was negatively affecting my relationships when combined with the ill health and lack of confidence that carby eating (and resulting obesity) brought me.

I was perusing nowloss the other day, which both cracks me up and inspires me. the author has a good exercise for motivation: make a list of ALL the positive things that can result from losing weight. ie. "IF I DO... I will look hot, I will wear great clothes, I will not have knee pain, I will not develop diabetes, I will live longer, I will be great in bed..." then do the same with the negatives. "IF I DON'T... I will always feel bad about myself, I will get sick, I will be moody, I will have an upset stomach every day, I will die young and alone."

I find that, with these exercises, even the most seemingly trivial and silly reason to lose weight is a good one to list. sometimes they are just as convincing. I mean, I know intellectually that eating the low carb way helps fight my family history of diabetes, heart problems and obesity. but all that seems a long way off. whereas fitting into a favourite outfit or having a thinner face is less serious, but more immediately gratifying, and therefore a stronger motivator in the moment you're trying to decide between eating a bacony salad and eating a cinnamon bun.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejnme4 View Post
I started LC last May and did very well. I lost 35 pounds and was feeling great. But I somehow got off track over the holidays, then had some major life changes and seasonal depression over the winter. I ended up gaining back most of the weight I lost and have been struggling to get back to my LC. For some reason I just haven't been able to stick to it any more.

Today I went to the store and bought lots of good food and my mom came over and helped me fix some meals and snacks ahead so I don't have any excuse not to get started. But I could really use some motivation and advice to help me get back to LCing once and for all. I know this can work for me and I really want to be successful.

You might have to simply 'steel' your way through induction - make a plan and stick with it - no variations. Remind yourself that you are trading up in the food department. Come here for support. You can do it!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
Keep a journal--it really helps me. Write what foods you are eating and anything else that you want. In a few weeks, review what you have and see if you want to tweak anything. You can do this.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
YOU ARE LUCKY!!! Not many people are lucky enough to be able diet.

Only a small percentage of the world can become significantly overweight.
It is a gift to have such abudance (even imperfect foods) and the ease in which to obtain it.
It is a blessing to be able to pick and choose which foods we eat.

YOU ARE INCREDIBLY LUCKY!!!!

You have the oportunity to respect your gifts and celebrate your good luck by not abusing your body!

ENJOY!

yourself enough to change old habits and learn from your mistakes, don't be hard on yourself when you have a slip up, just get back on board. You CAN do this!!!!
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GreytMuse
Stats: 205.5/150/150 (5'5" - 49 yo!)
WOE: Atkins Induction (low carb+low calorie)
Start Date: May 14, 2012
I also lost on Atkins quite successfully a few years ago, but managed to regain it all. But that was then, and this is NOW!

This time around I am doing a few things differently:
1. Signed up with ********* (others like ************ and ******) and keep a VERY close watch on both my carbs and my calories. This suits my slightly OCD personality!
2. I use a simple food scale to weigh the foods that have limits (cheese is a BIG example for me) I am guilty of underestimating measures.
3. I am drinking close to 100 oz of water every day. I have never done this before! Sooo many benefits to water..
4. Cooking ahead, and constantly browsing recipes for unique Induction-friendly ideas.
5. Browsing these forums for inspiration and ideas. It helps sooo much to know others are on similar journeys.
6. Adding in exercise -- low impact things like walking, dancing (!) and some light weights.
7. Making the commitment that this is the ONLY way I can eat and remain healthy. No cheat days, no food rewards, no excuses!

Good luck! Together we can do this!
GreytMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
sweetie I know how you feel. 4 yrs ago I lost 33 lbs and felt so good and looked so much better too. Then when my job went to h*ll in a hand basket and my thyrod messed up I Gave up. I'll admit it I gave up and gained it all back and more. It makes me mad at myself but I have to let it go and start over. for me this time on LC I am focusing on how I Feel more then my scale. I do weigh myself though lol. When I think about giving in and eatting something that I Know I shouldnt I focus on how much better I feel and how my stomach isn't bloated anymore and I Have more energy. And all i'm going to get from eatting junk is a bloated stomach, no energy, More fat on me and more feelings of self anger and depression. you Can do this!

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
one thing i am doing now is using ****** to track my food. i have always heard that people who track their food are more successful than those who dont... keeps you accountable and honest with yourself. ****** also has an iphone app for $2 that meshes with the website so there is no excuse for not logging in the food. Give it a shot and read these boards often... it helps.
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
I think there is nothing you can do in the beginning but be strong and persistent.
Right now I am dealing w. a "screw up" and these first days-weeks are the hardest. You just have to buckle down and fight the cravings. Once you start seeing some progress, things get a bit easier-NEVER easy but easier....

AND all the advice on this thread is wonderful. This forum has done wonders for me.
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rejnme4
Stats: 340/325/150
Start Date: May 2011
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I have had 2 good days so far and feel a lot more positive about being able to stick with this for the long haul.
rejnme4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: 293/245/174
WOE: LC My Way
Yes I second the advice to read this thread. It is chuck full of wisdom.

What did it take for you to stay on woe?
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejnme4 View Post

Do you really? More than chips? More than cookies? More than cake? More than mashed potatoes? Most people say they want to, but when it comes right down to it, they choose the cake. You have really good suggestions here. Take them and DO IT! Your life is worth it.

Last edited by rose1; 05-29-2012 at 09:02 PM..
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Do you really? More than chips? More than cookies? More than cake? More than mashed potatoes? Most people say they want to, but when it comes right down to it, they choose the cake. You have really good suggestions here. Take them and DO IT! Your life is worth it.

Your quality of life is also worth it!
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote