LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
What do you eat when you are sick?

I am thinking about coming back to lc since I was recently told I am pre-diabetic. I tried to remember why I went off all th previous times as I was lways successful.

In thinking back, whenever I got the flu or was otherwise sick, I couldn't stand the thought of eating any protein...even soft boiled eggs! All I wanted were Saltine crackers or a baked potato...well, you get the pucture.

When you have been sick, what kins of things do you eat? I'm just trying to shoot down any objections mt brain is conjuring up before I go grocery shopping this weekend and start buying some lc food! But I must say...barbecued corn is calling my name....
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I've thought about this since I've been back to LC and I really need to make up a batch of mock potato soup to freeze and have on hand just for this.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Chicken soup. Broth with little bits of chicken, celery, onion. Sometimes cottage cheese or yogurt, if that sounds good. Diet ginger ale.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babette Robinson
Stats: 311/250/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04-16-12
Chicken broth with parsley finely chopped up ... that always seems to make me feel better! Diet ginger ale or diet 7-up ....
Babette Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I either do a miso soup. Or a soup of spinach, chicken broth, a little raw egg whisked in at the end. Add soy garlic ginger for Asian style or Italian with parmesan, garlic, and parsley. If it is a he'd cold I add crushed chili pepper to clear my sinuses.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

While I've done the soup thing in the padt, if I've had the flu, been sick to my stonach, after I'm feeling better i just can't seem to stonach any protein like chicken, beef, fish etc. or even eggs. I want creamy soups, mashed potatoes and things like pasta that "stick to my stomach". Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
As I understand your post, you're not actually sick at the moment but worried about some future time and how you'd handle it?

If you're already looking for 'excuses' for not low carbing, then perhaps this isn't a WOE for you? There are many other ways to lose weight (if that is your goal). I eat low carb by necessity because I've learned that it's best for my body (I'm very carb sensitive), but people can lose on WW and all kind of other plans.

OK--here's what I've learned about flu and other stomach upsets. The only thing that's important is hydration, and, in fact, my primary doctor has told me that I'm better off not eating anything at all and 'resting' my digestive tract. That's why we don't 'feel' like eating.

I have actually not been sick for a long, long time, but I tried this the last time I had a stomach virus, and discovered that my doctor was correct. For two days, I just drank hot tea, and the third day, I had broth. I was more comfortable without eating, and I gradually added food as I felt better (beginning with soft scrambled eggs).

I suspect that the desire for crackers and other carby things at a time like this is based on memories of how we've 'recovered' in the past rather than something that's 'good' for us.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I eat whatever will make me feel better during those few days so I can get back to eating the way I normally do. More importantly, I do it guilt free. I have never exploded, been stuck by lightning over a saltine nor recieved a purple heart because I remained faithful to lc when ill.

You CAN still be a low carber and eat some crackers. You CAN still be a low carber and have a high carb meal. I suspect you go off low carb because like many dieters , food amd guilt go hand in hand. Its is the mental "it's all or nothing" or that you feel that you somehow failed low carb because you have an off week.

When you are sick BE SICK and don't stress. You would be surprised how giving yourself permission to eat some crackers and toast will curb your need to do so.

Last edited by Spanilingo; 05-24-2012 at 04:04 AM..
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
I think that this is an excellent question because it just happened to me last weekend and I wish I had been prepared. I could not handle broth etc. either and was craving a grilled cheese or softer foods. I did have some low carb crackers and ate a few of those with diet sprite. I also ate a few Mama Lupe low carb tortillas.....I always have these on hand. I have purchased (but not tried) the mashed potatoes from Netrition so maybe that would have been good too. I admit nutritionally it was not the best, but I survived the 2 days without too many issues. My illness was all stomach related so I craved some comfort foods in a low carb world
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
As I understand your post, you're not actually sick at the moment but worried about some future time and how you'd handle it?

If you're already looking for 'excuses' for not low carbing, then perhaps this isn't a WOE for you? There are many other ways to lose weight (if that is your goal). I eat low carb by necessity because I've learned that it's best for my body (I'm very carb sensitive), but people can lose on WW and all kind of other plans.

OK--here's what I've learned about flu and other stomach upsets. The only thing that's important is hydration, and, in fact, my primary doctor has told me that I'm better off not eating anything at all and 'resting' my digestive tract. That's why we don't 'feel' like eating.

I have actually not been sick for a long, long time, but I tried this the last time I had a stomach virus, and discovered that my doctor was correct. For two days, I just drank hot tea, and the third day, I had broth. I was more comfortable without eating, and I gradually added food as I felt better (beginning with soft scrambled eggs).

I suspect that the desire for crackers and other carby things at a time like this is based on memories of how we've 'recovered' in the past rather than something that's 'good' for us.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
My suggestion would be to just take one day at a time and don't worry about it. Especially if you are pre-diabetic, this is the best way, in my opinion, to get a handle on it now. You can worry about an illness when it actually happens.

The longer you stick with a LC eating plan, the less you want those things anyway(or at least that's been my experience.) I try to look at this as a WOL and not some fad diet. I know if I go back to eating the way I was, I WILL have full blown diabetes and all of the complications that go with it. I don't want that, so I have to treat LC'ing like it's my medicine.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brummy
Nothing, if youre really sick you wouldnt want to eat
Brummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The worst thing for a digestive tract is wheat especially after an illness. The best thing is homemade chicken broth.

If you are pre-diabetic you realize that means that you have a broken metabolism and therefore, please read my siggy - I think it says it all.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
While I've done the soup thing in the padt, if I've had the flu, been sick to my stonach, after I'm feeling better i just can't seem to stonach any protein like chicken, beef, fish etc. or even eggs. I want creamy soups, mashed potatoes and things like pasta that "stick to my stomach". Any suggestions?

Cream of (any veggie) soup. Chicken stock, HWC, spices and any veggies you like. Make Pumpkin Bake, yummy.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ghislaine
Stats: 197.5/184/128-138
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1/2/12
It's great that you've thought through what made it hard for you to continue this WOE in the past and that you are planning ahead for keeping it from happening again! Great awareness and resolve!

I love the idea of preparing soups to have on hand in the freezer. Creamy soups are certainly possible. Making a batch of good chicken broth is probably the healthiest thing you could do for yourself, even if you aren't eating anything solid with it.

If you have a need for crackers, maybe make a batch of Almond Thins?
Ghislaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hildebeest
Stats: 406/389.2/200
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 6/13/14
I usually don't want to eat when I'm sick. I drink everything I can think of to make me feel better, though; usually chicken broth or miso soup, and in any savory drink I add some high-quality organic cayenne powder. I also take oil of oregano in water, and lots of hot tea: white or green; and I like it without sweetener. If it's a respiratory illness, I turn to a tea I discovered some years ago that knocks out sinus and lung stuff fast, Gypsy Cold Care, from Traditional Medicinals.

I'm no help with the 'stick to your stomach' food, I'm afraid; I hate being sick...don't have time to be sick! ...And the aforementioned regimen usually only takes a couple of days to knock out whatever the nasty is.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GratefulParrot
Stats: Old playing weight of 245
WOE: induction
Start Date: 9/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin View Post
Cream of (any veggie) soup. Chicken stock, HWC, spices and any veggies you like. Make Pumpkin Bake, yummy.
This is me. I always have real chicken stock in the freezer. I usually just add lots and lots of black pepper (that's just me), Any veggie (broc. zuk, cali), then add some cheese (depending on how I feel). Done.

Sick Snack.
GratefulParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MicheleS
Stats: 140 (biggest)... 118/110/107... 5'0"
WOE: mostly Atkins but organic and no beef or pork
Start Date: restart May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghislaine View Post
It's great that you've thought through what made it hard for you to continue this WOE in the past and that you are planning ahead for keeping it from happening again! Great awareness and resolve!

I will eat greek yogurt and sometimes a sweet potato. If I am really nauseated... sf jello or diet coke.

With that said, when you are sick, I think it is counterproductive to beat yourself up for eating some saltines. If you find that you are binging every time you feel sick or that you are making excuses to eat saltines, then you need to address *that*.

xxoo
MicheleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Carbs when you have stomach upsets? Carbs when you're already tired? Doesn't sound like a good match at all...if you were in the hospital with digestive problems they would NOT serve you baked potatoes. You'd be getting clear broth, tea and jello.

Sounds to me like what you do when you're sick is more of a psychological "I don't feel good so I want my traditional-comfort-foods." Maybe even looking for a way to justify cheating and eat carbs? Because if your gut was really that messed up, eating heavy stuff like baked potatoes would not appeal.

Agree with posters who said best thing for you is not to eat solid food at all if your gut is sick. Stick with the tea, eat the plain broth, get some sugar-free jello, even diet 7-Up.

Give your tummy a break...and once you feel better, you'll have accomplished two things: you'll still be in ketosis and on your WOE, and you'll probably have lost weight (the only natural benefit of tummy upsets!)

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks to all of you for your feedback....being an ll or nothing gal, this is exactly how I list my way with lc in the past. I've been on/off the board for many years and I always had success so I was trying to remember what made me go off...

I am not looking for reasons to no succeed as someone had suggested, if anything, from my post I would think you would recognize I'm trying to understand what happened in he past and not make the sam mistake again. I'm actually trying to set myself up for success!

I love the suggestions for yogurt, making creamy soups and freezing them and the sweet potato! I really need to wrap my beain around not having it be perfect when ill. A saltin or two doesn't mean all is lost....thanks for the reminder, friends!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
Start Date: ongoing
I also agree with broth,cooked onion,celery,seasonings w it.Diet 7 -up,sf tea,sf jello
I not only eat this when sick,but often as I have severe Gerd.,nausea.
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JaseT
Stats: 230/204/175
WOE: HF, MP, LC. Wheat & Gluten Free. Int Fasting.
Start Date: 3/15/2012
Broth and plenty of fluids (water & green tea). Otherwise....fasting.
JaseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
Thanks to all of you for your feedback....being an ll or nothing gal, this is exactly how I list my way with lc in the past. I've been on/off the board for many years and I always had success so I was trying to remember what made me go off...

I am not looking for reasons to no succeed as someone had suggested, if anything, from my post I would think you would recognize I'm trying to understand what happened in he past and not make the sam mistake again. I'm actually trying to set myself up for success!

I love the suggestions for yogurt, making creamy soups and freezing them and the sweet potato! I really need to wrap my beain around not having it be perfect when ill. A saltin or two doesn't mean all is lost....thanks for the reminder, friends!
I do think it is clear that you are planning ahead and that is a great strategy. I must point out to you however, that dairy, wheat and even a higher carb food like a sweet potato is counter productive to both healing an already disadvantaged gut and no food would be better than these well meaning suggestions.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I hope you're feeling better already. I didn't get to post my favorite comfort food when I'm sick which is homemade chicken broth with zucchini "noodles". I have a julienne peeler and I peel thin strips of zucchini right into the soup--the hot broth cooks it just enough to give it that texture that I love from a bowl full of noodles. Noodles were always my go-to sick comfort carby food.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JulieR
Stats: 200/200/135
Start Date: 5/21/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
I eat whatever will make me feel better during those few days so I can get back to eating the way I normally do. More importantly, I do it guilt free. I have never exploded, been stuck by lightning over a saltine nor recieved a purple heart because I remained faithful to lc when ill.

You CAN still be a low carber and eat some crackers. You CAN still be a low carber and have a high carb meal. I suspect you go off low carb because like many dieters , food amd guilt go hand in hand. Its is the mental "it's all or nothing" or that you feel that you somehow failed low carb because you have an off week.

When you are sick BE SICK and don't stress. You would be surprised how giving yourself permission to eat some crackers and toast will curb your need to do so.

I have full-blown diabetes and one of the things they told me was to be prepared for how to handle an illness, which skyrockets my blood sugar anyway. Good for you for preparing ahead!

The chicken broth thing is great, and the last time I was sick I really wanted Crystal Light -- who knows why. Whatever my body tells me to do, I do. Sometimes chicken broth is too rich for me (eggs are entirely off the table) but not eating anything at all makes me even sicker. When that happens, it's toast, or crackers, or whatever the heck feels right, and I deal with the fuzzy head thing later.

Just listen to your body - not your tastebuds, but your whole body - and do what you need to do, without guilt. Then get back to LC as soon as possible!
JulieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeyfish
Stats: 210/195.8/135
WOE: Atkins (grain/wheat free)
Start Date: May 8, 2012
I am happy to have found this post because I am actually *planning* on being sick the day after a big concert and the first liquor I'll have consumed since starting Induction this time around. LOL! I'm going to make some low carb goodies in advance of all varieties so I can grab whatever sounds good. Also prolly get some of that diet ginger ale! Thanks errbody!
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Claire430
Stats: (highest wt. 194) 162/144.2/140 5'4
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: restart 1/3/2014
When we know illnesses can throw us off track from healthy lc eating, planning ahead is a must. There have been a few times that an illness has side tracked my WOE for longer than I wanted it to... it just happens. I agree that not eating is best for the digestive system especially after a stomach virus and food should be added back slowly. I usually make my own egg drop soup w/ homemade chicken stock and a little green onion for flavor. I have also made a creamy soup w/ roasted cauliflower, chicken broth, shredded cheese and cream. Add everything together and blend w/ a hand blender and you have a soup that is better than cream of potato.

I always have a few boxes of organic chicken broth on hand in the pantry for just this reason. A little planning ahead is all you need to stay on track.

Last edited by Claire430; 05-26-2012 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Claire430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/271/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
Well I'm dealing with this as well...had stomach bug yesterday and today. Fretted over a stupid popsicle yesterday. Even though I only ate 1/4 of it. Ended up in ER getting IV hydration and ruling out listeria poisoning from recalled produce. Had 1/4 can of regular ginger ale. Felt so guilty at first...then I figured--screw it! I will not feel guilty when I'm half dead sick and dehydrated! Today still in ketosis and Eggs, protein and anything meaty makes me want to puke. I've done tea all day, and for something soothing will be making the green tea slushie posted a few days ago. Will probably do broth later.
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
My first thought was that you want to try to build up your immune system so you might not even get sick in the first place. In the almost nine years I've low carbed, I've been sick with a cold only once, no flu, and I got food poisoning in Las Vegas last year.

I attribute my healthiness to eating low carb in the first place, but also to making sure my Vitamin D3 levels are optimal. If you haven't read any of the recent studies that show how incredible Vitamin D is, and how many illnesses may be linked to a deficiency, you should google it. I even had my level tested after taking Vit D3 for about six months, to make sure it was optimal, and it was excellent! I really think it's the key to good health, along with a low carb diet.

I wish you all the best on your journey. I started low carbing because I knew I couldn't keep from getting old, but I never want to be old AND sick. I'm taking care of my dear mother-in-law, whose health is very poor. A lot of it is likely due to a diet high in sugar and carbs, little sunshine exposure, and all the side-effects from her multiple medications. I never want to get to that point!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Great post! Nausea/being sick tends to throw me off, too. Got some good suggestions here.
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote