Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Quit aspertame..lost 5 lbs in a week! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/772073-quit-aspertame-lost-5-lbs-week.html)

Calliesue 05-19-2012 11:59 AM

Quit aspertame..lost 5 lbs in a week!

Hi! I have literally been stuck at 180-182 for 4 months. I re-started in January, and lost 9 lbs, then stopped. I have been a diet dew aholic for years. I quit cold turkey last Friday. Now I've been drinking unsweetened tea with a few drops of mios. Now I am a tea-aholic..lol ! I can't find any sucrulose diet soda in my area.

Now that I have your attention, I ordered powdered peanut butter from netrition, and I'm not sure what to do with it.. I'm thinking some kind of home made protein bars with coconut oil and protein powder.

I might also mention that I'm 51, post menopausal, and have a son who is deployed...(makes you crazy) lol

Calliesue

Becky 05-19-2012 12:04 PM

I REALLY have to requit Diet Pepsi, I had quit Jan.1 of this year and made it 3 1/2 months then started up again....as of Monday I will be ditching it again.

Hugs to you! :hugs: and prayers for your sons safe return! :aprayer:

HappyHappyJoyJoy 05-19-2012 12:08 PM

How did you get through the soda withdrawl? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have to give up the diet pepsi - I know it's terrible for me!

Bobbin 05-19-2012 12:09 PM

Congratulations! I would love to quit the artificial sweeteners once and for all...it's so hard! :aprayer: for you and your son.

Calliesue 05-19-2012 01:37 PM

All I had was a headache..I took advil and made my tea extra strong so i could get at least a lil' caffeine

limetwist 05-19-2012 02:29 PM

As of last Wednesday, I've been aspartame free. I've lost 2.5 lbs in that time frame. I wonder if it's the aspartame?! I never thought about that. Regardless, I'm feeling good without sodas. =) I've been drinking tea sweetened with EZ Sweetz.

shelby'snana 05-19-2012 02:42 PM

I am so bad... I use 1 sweet n low and 1 equal in each large cup of coffee. Drink artificially sweetened tea and Mio in my water !!

Have been stalled.... but not sure cause I was doing this when I was losing too .....???

Garden 05-20-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limetwist (Post 15666322)
As of last Wednesday, I've been aspartame free. I've lost 2.5 lbs in that time frame. I wonder if it's the aspartame?! I never thought about that. Regardless, I'm feeling good without sodas. =) I've been drinking tea sweetened with EZ Sweetz.

AWESOME !!! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy: Great JOB !!! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Leo41 05-20-2012 07:23 AM

When I quit diet soda (several years ago), I realized that I was missing the 'bubbly,' so I bought plain club soda (seltzer) and added a little lemon juice for flavoring (as I was eliminating ALL artificial sweeteners). I drank that for just about 2 weeks, and then I was 'over' soda completely.

Now I'll drink unsweetened iced tea on hot days, but most of the time, it's either black coffee or hot green tea.

Abby 05-20-2012 08:02 AM

I've ALWAYS been able to lose weight with either aspartame or Splenda as long as I consistently worked my program. YMMV.

Good Luck,

Laurelai 05-20-2012 12:09 PM

I quit drinking soda over a year ago - I don't drink juices of any sort..just water and milk on rare occasions. LoL funny thing is when I quit the soda I got myself addicted to Micky D sweet tea but I just recently quit that cold turkey as of May1st..now its ONLY water. Occasionally i will use a drop in sweetened with Stevia only..I never eat anything with fake sweeteners anymore I just hear too many bad things about them.

Becky 05-20-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy (Post 15666173)
How did you get through the soda withdrawl? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have to give up the diet pepsi - I know it's terrible for me!

Last time I quit I didn't even get a headache...well I can't say that for sure, because it worked out that I quit just after my TOM and I usually get a few killer headaches right after. This time will also be right after my TOM, I keep the Advil close by and drink tons of water.

pooticus 05-20-2012 04:44 PM

Congrats on making that change!!!

HappyHappyJoyJoy 05-20-2012 05:03 PM

OK, I'm in! You guys give me hope and strength!

Tomorrow it's OFF the diet soda/aspartame.

Should I take the advil preventatively? LOL!

Lori37 05-21-2012 06:12 AM

I was a diet pepsi addict! Throw in some sugar free energy drinks and coffee every day as well! I've been off ALL forms of caffeine since the day after Easter!

IT CAN BE DONE!
For the first week I switched from coffee, soda and energy drinks to just tea. Then gave up the tea completely. (only herbal non caffeinated teas now)

The headaches only last a day or two. The lack of energy lasted a week, because I was sooooo addicted to the caffeine and aspartame!
Aspartame is REALLY REALLY bad for our health. I HAD to give it up.

Calliesue 05-21-2012 06:54 AM

well...crap
I'm actually up 3 lbs today...I've been off work and have had nothing but tea and meat..I tend to keep it minimal when I'm home. I think i overdid it on the meat fast..and I haven't gone #2 for two days...upping my carbs today.

Emily-D 05-21-2012 08:41 AM

I quit aspartame several months ago, but it had no effect on my weight.

3fatcats 05-22-2012 04:07 AM

I think it depends on what your AS is in. I'm down to 1 can a day of diet dew from 6 and MAN...I had the headaches for 2 days, the tiredness for a week, and then at the very end I felt like I had the flu for 2 days. Muscle soreness and nauseous and everything. I'm okay, but it wasn't pretty. Most was the effects of the caffiene, I'm sure. I AM ADDICTED to it.

HappyHappyJoyJoy 05-22-2012 03:23 PM

I'm on day 2 with no diet pepsi. I have still had stevia and saccharin (once). I am drinking iced tea (1 glass per day). I'm figuring to go off the Equal/aspartame/diet soda first then tackle the caffeine. Although just going to one iced tea a day has made me tired.

Have you guys seen what the Equal people have done? I saw this yesterday: They now have yellow packets labelled Equal that is sucralose (Splenda). And they have pink packets that are aspartame (NOT saccharin) - also labelled Equal. I can't figure the marketing of this...

krb 05-22-2012 05:51 PM

I'm just now to the point where I don't always miss it. I quit a month ago, but I had to. I had a horrible UTI and I needed to drink water to help clear it up. Once I stopped for a few days I figured I better stick with it. I think it's helping me lose... we'll see.

heidihoopi 05-22-2012 10:50 PM

It could be the absence of sodium in your diet from quiting sodas that is causing wt loss, at least logically that is more likely imo. I use a lot of equal and my losses have been steady, but I don't drink much soda pop anymore, I use the AS in tea now. I haven't seen any studies that show for certain that equal does any harm, in fact they say it is the most studied AS ever. It is for sure much better than consuming sugar. Most of the negativity surrounding AS is just internet gossip/rumor/urban legends.

JaseT 05-23-2012 09:06 AM

I was addicted to aspartame-sweetened diet soda for YEARS. Now I only drink diet sodas sweetened with stevia and/or erythritol, like Zevia.

Texas Girl 05-24-2012 03:44 AM

I was addicted to regular cokes before I got serious about my weight loss....and never liked the after taste of diet. I weaned myself off by mixing part coke and part club soda for a few weeks before quitting all together. I always prefered real carbonated drinks vs. super sweet. I now enjoy the small can of the Diet Rite soda (LC approved and sweetened with Splenda) and don't have the cravings anymore. There are some great substitutes out there if you make the switch. I don't know that I could do it cold turkey! Good luck!

TooSweetForMe 05-24-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calliesue (Post 15666161)
Hi! I have literally been stuck at 180-182 for 4 months. I re-started in January, and lost 9 lbs, then stopped. I have been a diet dew aholic for years. I quit cold turkey last Friday. Now I've been drinking unsweetened tea with a few drops of mios. Now I am a tea-aholic..lol ! I can't find any sucrulose diet soda in my area.

Now that I have your attention, I ordered powdered peanut butter from netrition, and I'm not sure what to do with it.. I'm thinking some kind of home made protein bars with coconut oil and protein powder.

I might also mention that I'm 51, post menopausal, and have a son who is deployed...(makes you crazy) lol

Calliesue

Calliesue, I think PepsiOne has sucralose/Splenda as the sweetener in it, I may be wrong. I drink PepsiMax, though. Although today I am trying the Diet Snapple Peach tea, which is sweetened with Splenda. It tastes really good, especially when you have it on ice.

Calliesue 05-24-2012 03:23 PM

I had a really bad day at work today, so I had a pity party and bought myself one can of diet dew....I thought it tasted funny...go figure... My weight is still all over the place, but def going down..I did Atkins 10 years ago and lost 60 pounds in
a year...(before menopause) .This time ...10 pounds in 4 months.. side note>>> I found a Marc's store in the next town and loaded up on diet rite..so the fizzy drink craving has been satisfied for now...lol

Laurelai 05-24-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaseT (Post 15675203)
I was addicted to aspartame-sweetened diet soda for YEARS. Now I only drink diet sodas sweetened with stevia and/or erythritol, like Zevia.

I also only eat or drink thinks sweetened with Stevia.. what sodas are sweetened with it though??

TooSweetForMe 05-24-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calliesue (Post 15678635)
I had a really bad day at work today, so I had a pity party and bought myself one can of diet dew....I thought it tasted funny...go figure... My weight is still all over the place, but def going down..I did Atkins 10 years ago and lost 60 pounds in
a year...(before menopause) .This time ...10 pounds in 4 months.. side note>>> I found a Marc's store in the next town and loaded up on diet rite..so the fizzy drink craving has been satisfied for now...lol

Glad the fizzies are satisfied for now.

pugluv9802 05-24-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calliesue (Post 15678635)

I quit diet dew in jan, a friend was talking about some type of veg oil in drink thats not good for you. So I stopped cold, to avoid the lectures, however, I did but a diet dew about 2 weeks ago, and the tasted gagged me. Don't understand that since I was drinking about 3 a day. Now I'm drinking sprite zero and fruit2O. Which I like much better.

HappyHappyJoyJoy 05-25-2012 09:25 AM

Day 5 - I'm holding strong! I think the headaches are gone. No aspertame/diet soda for 5 days is a cause for celebration!

Starmaker 02-24-2013 08:24 PM

I am responding to an old old thread, but thought I'd add that Zevia soda is amazing. None of the questionable artificial sweeteners, just natural stevia. I really like it, and it has become the pop we go to for the odd treat (or mix) here and there.