Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Wisconsin Farms Frying Cheese - it exists! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/771722-wisconsin-farms-frying-cheese-exists.html)

Hildebeest 05-15-2012 11:39 AM

Wisconsin Farms Frying Cheese - it exists!

...it's just called something different.

This stuff was a near staple for me way back 'when. Like grilled cheese without the bread; just slice and fry until golden. It was really hard not to overdo it - such good stuff!

I went to WalMart this morning (I can't stand WM so I rarely go) and I knew the WF Frying cheese had been discontinued but I always look for something like it anyway.

El Viajero is the parent company for Wisconsin Farms, and lo and behold, in the dairy case I found El Viajero Queso Para Freir - frying cheese.

Before I get TOO enthused, I need to try it. The WF was fantastic and tasty - hopefully this is the same product. Obviously it has the same intent, as directions are to slice and fry - hopefully it has the same flavor. I bought some and will give it a go this evening.

If this is old news, pardon my fried cheese excitement post, lol. :laugh:

Martini72 05-15-2012 11:42 AM

The Dutch Village Amish Market has it sometime. GOOD STUFF!!

catne 05-15-2012 11:48 AM

I've used El Viajero Queso Para Freir from Walmart...and it was very good. Can't compare it to the WF version you're talking about, because I never tried that one. The Queso Para Freir was too good for me, actually, because I way over-ate it...fried a little, loved the taste, fried some more, loved the taste, fried some more. Well you know how that little tale ends. Fabulous snack, but dairy stall! :stars:

Have to save delicacies like that for special occasions.:D

Hildebeest 05-15-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catne (Post 15656335)
I've used El Viajero Queso Para Freir from Walmart...and it was very good. Can't compare it to the WF version you're talking about, because I never tried that one. The Queso Para Freir was too good for me, actually, because I way over-ate it...fried a little, loved the taste, fried some more, loved the taste, fried some more. Well you know how that little tale ends. Fabulous snack, but dairy stall! :stars:

Have to save delicacies like that for special occasions.:D

I'm with you, catne. :) Once upon a time, I didn't have the dreaded 'dairy stall, ever;' a few years later and with some extra awesome (/sarcasm) metabolism damage and I have to be sparing with the cheese, now, too. I'm happy to have found this, though; I had experimented with other brands of cheeses in hopes of duplicating the flavor, to no avail. Since this is produced by the same company, I have high hopes for the same well-remembered flavor. I'll make a small amount and share generously with boy-child. :D

krb 05-15-2012 09:43 PM

I'm so very, very, very excited! How do you fry it? Do you put oil or butter in the pan, or do you just put it in the pan?

jandjsmom 05-16-2012 06:53 AM

I use to love the frying cheese, and look everytime I go to walmart hoping they start carrying it again!

Let us know if this is the same or close to it!!

Hildebeest 05-16-2012 07:00 AM

Good news - this seems to be the same thing! I made some last night and it was like rediscovering an old friend, heh.

krb - I put just a dab of olive oil on my pan, same as I used to - I don't know if that's strictly necessary, but it's tasty!

tulipsandroses 05-16-2012 07:16 AM

If you can find Just The Cheese frying cheese, it is awesome!
(Note, this is not the same product that Netrition carries! )
I've only seen it at one local store here but it is truly good. It was one of the things that sold me on low carb in the beginning. LOL! I haven't eaten it in a while but it was my go to snack when I started LCing. I love the garlic flavor.

Just the Cheese™ brand Frying Cheese™ come in four varieties:

Frying Cheese —“tastes like grilled cheese without the bread!”
Frying Cheese with Jalapeno —“tastes like zesty grilled cheese without the bread!”
Frying Cheese with Pineapple and Mango —“tastes like French Toast without the toast!”
Frying Cheese with garlic —“tastes like cheesy garlic bread without the bread!”

Hildebeest 05-16-2012 07:32 AM

Thanks tulipsandroses! I remember finding this online about a year ago, but at the time I couldn't find an option to order it. I've never seen it on a store shelf, but the garlic sounds divine! The jalapeno would probably flip my trigger, too. :D

Janknitz 05-16-2012 12:08 PM

Trader Joe's has a brand of frying cheese. I tried it before LC'ing and thought it was too greasy and rich. But that's when I thought fat was bad for me.:hyst:

Maybe I need to try it again (if TJ's still has it).

synger 05-16-2012 12:33 PM

Our Giant and Safeway stores carry this in the Mexican/Hispanic dairy foods section. Queso para freir (cheese for frying) is what you need to look for. Just slice it thinly and brown it in a medium-hot frying pan. No need for oil or breading. Very nice indeed!

ladyrn 05-16-2012 05:53 PM

ooooohhh... now I have to find this!

lkelley36 02-27-2014 11:17 AM

Wisconsin Cheese

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildebeest (Post 15656319)
...it's just called something different.

This stuff was a near staple for me way back 'when. Like grilled cheese without the bread; just slice and fry until golden. It was really hard not to overdo it - such good stuff!

I went to WalMart this morning (I can't stand WM so I rarely go) and I knew the WF Frying cheese had been discontinued but I always look for something like it anyway.

El Viajero is the parent company for Wisconsin Farms, and lo and behold, in the dairy case I found El Viajero Queso Para Freir - frying cheese.

Before I get TOO enthused, I need to try it. The WF was fantastic and tasty - hopefully this is the same product. Obviously it has the same intent, as directions are to slice and fry - hopefully it has the same flavor. I bought some and will give it a go this evening.

If this is old news, pardon my fried cheese excitement post, lol. :laugh:

Oh my gosh! I am sooooo thrilled! I have been searching around here and found the recipe for the fried cheese. I went to the Farmer's Market (International) on Winchester in Memphis, Tn to look for Queso Para Freir. I fimally asked someone and low and behold they had the Wisconsin cheese that all of you have been talking about!! Can't wait to try it!!!:jumpjoy:

baseballmom 02-27-2014 05:37 PM

I love the frying cheese with a spoonful of guacamole on top...yummy!!

MtherGoos 02-27-2014 05:52 PM

I've never heard of this cheese! I'm a cheese fanatic, and a grilled cheese sandwich used to be one of all my time favorite meals. Is this just cheese, or is there other stuff added to it?

lkelley36 02-28-2014 06:32 AM

Well I was sooooo excited!!! I guess I did something wrong..... :( Mine melted!! Soooo....do you put it on really low or something? What did I di wrong? I ended up cutting up precooked turkey sausage and added butter, coconut milk, and a couple chunks of cheddar and jalepeno chesse just so it wouldn't get wasted....Made a thick cheese dip !!!!

grneyedldy 02-28-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkelley36 (Post 16818619)
Well I was sooooo excited!!! I guess I did something wrong..... :( Mine melted!! Soooo....do you put it on really low or something? What did I di wrong? I ended up cutting up precooked turkey sausage and added butter, coconut milk, and a couple chunks of cheddar and jalepeno chesse just so it wouldn't get wasted....Made a thick cheese dip !!!!

I just made some for the first time and it was fantastic. It sounds like your slices weren't thick enough. Also yes, I cooked mine on low with some melted butter. I had one slice that was too thin and it melted and was kinda globby (I still ate it :) ) the other 2 slices were perfect. I'm going to guess about 1/8 - 1/4 thick.

Try it again, they are sooooo worth it.