Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins
Start Date: A long time ago
Low carb convenience foods?

I know, I know...I should be cooking whole foods and not buying processed. I do that, but sometimes I get busy and need something quick to keep me on track. What have you found in your grocery store that you can fix in a hurry?

Last time I went shopping, I saw already peeled hard boiled eggs. At first I thought "really? you can't cook eggs?" Now, I wish I'd bought some. My HB eggs were ruined by the shell sticking to them.
Oregon Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smittin
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins, 3/14/12 started JUDDD
Start Date: 03/13/2012
about once a week I buy Johnsonville Cheddar brat's. They are already cooked, but I boil them up and eat them with mustard. each brat does have 3 carbs. There maybe lower carb ones, but these are so yummy, I can't resist.
or you could get a rotisserie chicken and make a quick salad to go with it. by quick, I mean, some greens and some dressing.
smittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Hillshire Farms makes a zero carb kielbasa.

if u can't find it in the stores, i am sure u could order it online. they are delicious with mustard. The SUGGESTED portion size is 2 oz. It is also lower in fat, but tastes great all the same. You can also cook up your fave chicken parts when u do have the time to cook, so that u can take them to lunch. In a word, figure out what u like, and either make it yourself, or get it on the outside. the advantage of doing it yourself, is YOU know what's in it. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sola_rae
Stats: 274/250/160
WOE: ProteinPower
Our Aldi's occasionally has their Fit&Active grilled chicken bites in the freezer. Tasty, pretty sure there are a couple of carbs in them...but it is nice to have precooked unbreaded chicken for salad or roll up in a lc tortilla with ranch dressing. And i like having something quick on hand that is NOT cold cuts or hotdogs/sausages. I also use it has a backup protein for my two 2yo boys...they do not always eat the same stuff at dinner.
sola_rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
Start Date: April 2012
I usually do a marathon cooking session on thursday nights and it lasts me the whole weekend. That makes it feel like I'm not cooking all of the time.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
egg boiling suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I know, I know...I should be cooking whole foods and not buying processed. I do that, but sometimes I get busy and need something quick to keep me on track. What have you found in your grocery store that you can fix in a hurry?

Last time I went shopping, I saw already peeled hard boiled eggs. At first I thought "really? you can't cook eggs?" Now, I wish I'd bought some. My HB eggs were ruined by the shell sticking to them.
When I boil eggs, I put a bunch of salt and vinegar in the water. Start with cold water, add eggs/salt/vinegar, bring to full boil, then turn off heat. Let sit for a few minutes, empty out hot water, pour in cold water. Roll hardboiled egg on counter to make cracks all over shell, then peel. I have far fewer problems peeling eggs when using those methods. And I eat lots of hard-boiled eggs, since I can face deviled eggs or egg salad for breakfast, but not hot eggs. Rotisserie chicken is another convenience-style food that I find really helpful as pre-prepared food to keep around.

I like to keep snack cheeses (Bonabel, Laughing Cow) around, string cheese, and almonds that I measure out by the half-cup and put in little plastic bags. Then if I get home and I'm starving, or I have to be away from home for an extended period, I have something on-plan that I can eat right away. I also do small individual packs of other nuts--flavored almonds, macademias, pistachios in the shell--if I need to find SOMETHING in a carb-heavy convenience store.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, scenskamae for the egg boiling help! I'll try vinegar and salt next time. I've always heard old eggs work better, and these were fresh from the store. That could have contributed.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Quote:
Hi Shanna. Another method of hard boiling eggs that I got from "Chickenlady" here at LCF:

Set the eggs out until they are room temperature
Bring water to a boil
Add 1 t salt
Put the eggs in the water (I lower them in with a large spoon)
Boil for exactly 14 minutes
Put the eggs into an ice water bath until they are cool
Use then, or refrigerate

When I follow those instructions exactly, I get HB eggs that are EASY to peel. I spent years trying every old wives tale in the book and the shells still stuck to the eggs! I don't know if Chickenlady is still around but I will be forever grateful!

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: CurvyAFGirl
Stats: 167/164/130, 5'2
WOE: One day at a time, but mostly induction foods
Start Date: Every day I'm shufflin'!
Rotisserie Chicken from the deli is a life saver for me, as well as the pre-cooked bacon. Both make my life so much easier!
CurvyAFGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Thank you, scenskamae for the egg boiling help! I'll try vinegar and salt next time. I've always heard old eggs work better, and these were fresh from the store. That could have contributed.
I try to use eggs that are 1-2 weeks old for hard boiling - they seem to want to cook better and are easier to peel. Second the running cold water trick as well. After boiling, I pour out the hot water and refill the pot with cold, add a few ice cubes and let them settle for about 5 minutes before putting them back in the fridge.

Snack wise, I get those little snack zip lock things and carry roasted almonds with me. They don't need to be kept cold so I know I always have something if I need a quick bite of good fat and protein. SMALL bag though - those are VERY easy to eat a mountain of.

Good thread! Looking forward to more replies and ideas.
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
This isn't a particularly economical suggestion, but I love buying Alaskan smoked salmon in packages in the seafood section and then just peeling off a slice to eat by itself or smeared with cream cheese and a bit of red onion.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
This isn't a particularly economical suggestion, but I love buying Alaskan smoked salmon in packages in the seafood section
I probably eat 2 of those a week, usually with ~8 oz of giardiniera. I agree it's a sting at the register but still cheaper than omega-3 tablets.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
I hate canned tuna but I love canned sardines. That used to be my go to thing when I did not want to cook. Mix it up with mayo,LC Ketchup and Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce.
Nuke up some of Cleo's Flax Crackers and that's dinner.

Some of the grocery stores here have a sea food dept that will steam seafood for you on the spot. Usually takes less than 5 mins. When I've been super busy, I've gotten steamed shrimp, and picked up a bagged salad. If I'm taking it home then I melt some butter and pour on the shrimp to add fat. I always keep shrimp in my freezer. Its quick and easy when you don't feel like cooking.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 05-15-2012 at 06:53 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 277/250/150
Just want to warn you about the pre-boiled eggs. I bought them one time and they were horrid! They smelled strongly of sulfur, felt like rubber and tasted really funky. Ick!

Frozen buffalo wings are a go-to quick fix food for me. Just make sure to get the kind that are no more than 1 carb per serving. Also you could get the pre-formed hamburgers. I generally buy several pounds of hamburger and form them into burgers and freeze them... just throw them on the foreman grill and you have a quick meal in about 6 minutes.
muncheechee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Homemade (limited salt & sugar)beef jerky was my go to LC snack. No refrigeration required either, so I could carry it anywhere!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
A fast snack standby for me is a package of Carl Buddig corned beef or pastrami. It's ten or eleven thin slices....I can nibble on a package for ages. 55gr (2oz) package has 90 calories and 1gr carbs, and it's portion controlled which is handy.

I imagine that it has enough sodium to keep it safe in a purse or whatever for a startlingly long time, too
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
This isn't a particularly economical suggestion, but I love buying Alaskan smoked salmon in packages in the seafood section and then just peeling off a slice to eat by itself or smeared with cream cheese and a bit of red onion.
I love that, too! I used to order bagels with lox and cream cheese; now I smear the lox with cream cheese and eat it as is or inside leaves of endive for a lox and cream cheese unwich.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I love sausages, so I often have hot dogs, kielbasa, and already-cooked brats (like the cheddar brats mentioned above) on hand. I eat them with a mixture of sour cream and hot mustard that is amazingly good.

I also keep shrimp, burgers, Steak-Umms, and fish in the freezer. Really easy to cook and eat.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I love that, too! I used to order bagels with lox and cream cheese; now I smear the lox with cream cheese and eat it as is or inside leaves of endive for a lox and cream cheese unwich.
A favorite of mine also! I buy Carb Krunchers Bagels and toast one up, smear with cream cheese, sliver of onion, tomato and I am good to go! Love it! Just wanted to add, I buy the panel of lox from Sam's Club, it's around $12.00 for the pack, I separate it into portions and freeze it. As I need to make one bagel, I pull out one little pack and it defrosts in about half an hour.

Last edited by That Girl; 05-16-2012 at 01:46 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all! Great tips. Thanks for the warning on the HB eggs too, Muncheechee.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyrn
Stats: 310/299/250
WOE: LC/whole food/raw dairy
Start Date: 5/11/12
The Eat-rite brand low carb ready to eat meals are a life saver for me when I need something I can nuke and eat. It helps with variety so I dont get discouraged and bored. I order them online.
ladyrn is offline   Reply With Quote