LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
how do you get back on track?

So I'm in some need of words of wisdom from you successful lc friends.
I've been derailed a little lately and I would love to "fast" somewhat tomorrow but I have found in the past that just makes me hungrier by the end of the day.
I want to do strict induction but I'd like to read about what works best for all of you-any tips/motivation would be helpful!
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I got back on the wagon by doing a strict Atkins induction, so I think that's a great idea. In Atkins induction, you EAT, so I vote against fasting as a start to your plan.

What plan do you want to follow? If it's in a book, I'd start by re-reading the section on induction. Then decide what you're going to eat this week, make sure you have the right groceries in the house, and go for it!

And keep coming back to LCF - the support you can get here is key .
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I will make my very favorite LC clean meal and serve it one my best dishes if I was dining at a restaurant. I will have a ribeye steak and a salad with "fancy" greens with a vinaigrette, and drink seltzer water from a wine glass
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have found that fasting or restricting eating tends to backfire when used as a 'remedy.'

I normally have to watch my calories, but if I need to get back on low carb, I give myself a day of eating all I want--but very high fat. I find that fat very satiating so I really don't overeat, and by the next day, I find it easy to be strictly on plan.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tundrasusie
Stats: 220/132/145(??)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: March 1, 2002
I also get back on track with my favourite meal. Ribeye, small fancy salad and a small hunk of of fancy cheese.

I find that when I go "offline" on my diet which happens every so often, I find I have to really will myself through the first week back then after that its easy sailing again.

Fasting has never really worked for me, it just makes me a ravenous angry beast.
tundrasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I veto fasting because of just what you said: it backfires at the end of the day! I go to strict induction and eat every time I feel hungry which means I eat proteins and fats to keep me satisfied. I usually do my favorite dinner, too, which is steak, veggies, and a coffee w/cream for 'dessert'.
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I agree with all of the above posts ! When you fast, your willpower will be down by the end of the day and you may not choose lc - you might just eat whatever is close by
( I know I am that way when I'm starving ) ;(

I would eat steak or shrimp with broccoli and cheese ----- no regrets !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kat mommy
Stats: 107.9/ 91.1/ 76 Kg.
WOE: Atkins72
Start Date: restart Jan 2012
I also say no fasting.... it just makes your body think it is going into starving mode ,then it holds onto those fat globbies even more
Feed it with pure LC foods no Frankenfoods ..your body will then want to burn the fat. Look at it as stoking a fire that melts fat

I like the idea of getting out the good dishes and having your favorite LC meal

Brush off yourself and put the good dishes on the table..it is time to celebrate
LC eating

You Can Do It
kat mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
yeah! just eat your most favourite low carb meal. I agree with leeloo -- re-reading the Atkins book always gets me excited to get back on track.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
I have to get back on track starting today, after going off the food rails on my vacation. What works for me is to "put my nose to the grindstone" and don't look up. No questions, no bargaining, no debating, just strict induction with no internal arguments allowed. No try, just "do". It's not easy, but after a week or so, you'll be thinking clearly about your WOE again.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
Where the mind goes, the body follows. I'd spend some time reading (or rereading) low carb blogs and articles, success stories, the Taubes books, etc. Convincing yourself that LC is healthy - that sugar and grain are unhealthy - will go a long way in reinforcing your determination to get back (and stay) on track.
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have to plan ahead. I make a menu for the day in the morning assuring that I have all the ingredients that I need. I don't know necessarily how hungry I am going to be so I plan snacks as well. And then I stick to my plan.

I come here. This is the best place for support!

You can do it!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I think the biggest barrier to getting back to low carb is the darn induction flu.

You might be able to head it off by loading up on good fats (especially coconut oil) for a few days to a week before dropping the carbs down. The theory is that coconut oil in particular will get your fat burning metabolism revved up so you might transition more smoothly from being a carb burner to a fat burner.

Also keep plenty of broth on hand and sip it like crazy for the first several days because as your body releases all the fluids that build up from carb ingestion your sodium and potassium drop--that's a big reason for "flu" symptoms.

If you still get the induction flu symptoms, try to keep in mind that they are very short term and you WILL feel better soon. I think of it like a hill--climbing up the hill is hard, but eventually you get there and then it's easy going downhill from there. The trick is to hang in long enough to make it to the top of the hill.

Load up with good low carb snacks so that you're never hungry during induction. It should be smooth sailing from there.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I do a meat and egg fast.It will jump you right back into ketosis,fast.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote