LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pheelyx
Stats: 271.4/178.1/140 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb <20 grams per day
Start Date: November 7, 2011
Self Sabotage

I would love to know if anyone has tips to combat self sabotage. I seriously think my subconscious never wants me to get to my goal weight. I'm 2 pounds away from the exact point that I gave up last time I lost 90 pounds. I hit a new low today and had a 2.4 pound loss for the week. I should have been celebrating and wanting to stay on the right path. But I ended up going crazy with the eating today. It was very close to being a full on binge. I did manage to stick with low carb foods, since I don't keep high carb junk in the house. I hope I didn't do too much damage. I think I always experience diet fatigue at this point in the weight loss journey. I don't know if it will ever click that this is not a diet but a permanent change for the better. So would love to hear how other people keep their self motivated and stop the self sabotage.
Pheelyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Oh gosh... I have no advice because I do this too.
I hope someone has some good ideas!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I'm no expert, as I'm back at the beginning after slowly regaining all the weight I lost 10 years ago.

One thing that I'm trying to remember for myself is that one off-plan meal, or one binge-y "episode", is not a reason or an excuse to just go crazy for days or weeks and regain. If you can just move on and put this episode behind you, it won't have the power to derail you.

So you overate some low-carb food - so what? It's just a thing that happened, not something to punish yourself over.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Do you know if it's physical or mental? If you're getting audible stomach growls you may need the extra intake--just try to calibrate it in smaller increments.

If it's mental, is your plan making you feel adversarial? Maybe swap some foods around and get some novel flavors or textures to anticipate. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. Also, it may wise to aim for maintenance for a week or two to replenish sanity--thinking about loss is no longer the best thing for you if it becomes an intrusive fixation.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Journaling helps me(so far.)

I quit smoking about 12 years ago and it was very hard! I just took one day at a time. Every time I would want a cigarette, I would just tell myself it was killing me and I couldn't do it because if I gave in just once, it would be over and all of my smoke-free days would just be a waste.
I am kind of doing the same thing with this WOE. If I want something, I find a substitute. So far it's working out for me.

As far as binging on LC foods for a day or two, I wouldn't beat myself up too bad. I track my food everyday, and a few days ago, I had 3000 calories. It helped that I actually SAW how many calories I had that day. I didn't beat myself up about it, I just determined that I wouldn't eat like that the next day too.

You are worth all of the hard work that you have put into this WOE. We are ALL worth it! Most people in our shoes are so darn hard on ourselves. We are our own worst enemies. I'm preaching to myself, BTW.

Just start fresh today. Don't worry about yesterday or even tomorrow. God gives us a fresh clean slate everyday so use TODAY wisely.

Now......go eat some butter
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
oh picklepete, I always enjoy your posts. you're the voice of sanity on these forums.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
It might help to stop weighing as much and look in the mirror more. I stalled at an earlier weight and I remember being impressed with the number on the scale and feeling a bit over-excited (panicky even) about going lower. It was mostly about a number though and not really about me physically. As time went by and I got used to how I looked in the mirror I relaxed, saw myself as being able to benefit from another 10-20lbs loss. I got used to how it felt to stick to my plan and maintain, how it felt to further refine it, and what I realistically can live with from here on out and be satisfied.

I do still weigh myself a lot,and I use that as one of my guideposts but that number is less important than it used to be and my actual appearance and physical feelings are more important.

A big weight loss takes some getting used to. I spent decades weighing so much more and thinking it was impossible to get to where I am now. Maybe it is the same for you.

Congratulations on all you've accomplished so far
Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Pheelyx, you need to give yourself a big ol pat on the back. You have done so well and there is no reason to think otherwise. KUTGW!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
I'm with LeeLoo. I've never been able to avoid brief binges but have found that the damage really isn't that great if I get back on the wagon the next day. I try to tell myself that, "It's not worth it", but I still dig into a 3 day old slice of cold, hard, pizza which my son left in the refrigerator.

If I'm "on-track", I lose about 2.5 lbs/week on a consistent basis. Even with an occasional breakout, I can still manage to lose 2 lbs/week. The secret is to NOT loathe yourself for blowing it..........

Good Luck,

Last edited by Abby; 05-12-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
Hi Pheelyx! Sorry you are going through this.. it happens to me too.

Something that really helped me was reading Ta-Da's journal from beginning to end. She writes about bingeing and recovering. I read it bit by bit. I bookmarked it and would read a couple of pages each day for motivation.

TaDa! The Lifelong Journey!!

hope that helps!
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
Do you know if it's physical or mental? If you're getting audible stomach growls you may need the extra intake.
I know for sure it's mental. I never really get hungry. I'm one of these people that could eat something every waking hour on the hour. I think I have a bottomless pit for a stomach. It is a fight all day every day to only eat the quantity of food I need and not what I want.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: renee765
Stats: 246/203.5/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: August 2011
I'm sure not one to give advice here, since I haven't mastered this yet either! But I keep remembering a woman I knew years ago. She was at a perfect weight and looked great. Once when we met for a card club, she mentioned that she was wearing her 'tight' slacks so she'd remember not to overdo the snacks that would be served. I've often thought of this, wondering if this is how 'normal' people stay at a good weight. Could it be as basic as refusing to go into a higher size clothing so when the slacks get tight you watch what you eat until they are comfortable again? I guess it's a mindset that I aspire too - but haven't conquered yet.
renee765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for all the good advice and tips. I know I shouldn't let it bother me so much when I have one of those day where I eat too much LC foods. I think the main reason it bothers me so much is because I feel like if at some point I don't break the cycle of overeating that I will never be successful at maintaining all my weight loss.

@ElizabethLC, thanks for suggesting I read her journal, gonna start it now.

@cfine, maybe I should start my own journal. I think I will try that.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee765 View Post
Could it be as basic as refusing to go into a higher size clothing so when the slacks get tight you watch what you eat until they are comfortable again? I guess it's a mindset that I aspire too - but haven't conquered yet.
Stillman advises a similar tack. When you get to your weight goal, you immediately go back into the QWL diet if you gain 3 lbs. Setting such a buffer is similar to some "tight slacks".........
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote