Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
Carb Cycling/ One day carb up- does it work?

Anyone tried the one day a week day of eating carbs and still being able to consistently lose weight overall? I have heard of doing this for stalls, or doing it but not till after induction.
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 10,2012
I'd be afraid of falling into a carb binge and waking up weeks later. Also, I would be worried that I would feel physically horrible.
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I have heard of it but wouldn't want to spike my insulin levels by eating higher carb.
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Coots
Stats: 321/250.6/230's?
WOE: Mainly Atkins - My own body way.
Start Date: April 2011
My father-in-law does this. Sunday through Friday, it's straight Atkins 20 carbs... no fuss about it. Very good carbs, veggies, etc.

Then on Saturday he has 1 (one) meal and a dessert of whatever he wants. Doesn't over eat, doesn't go bananas, just one meal and dessert....

He has like 55 pounds now.

But as always YMMV!

I wouldn't attempt it until you had your mind wrapped around the diet well enough to survive the rest of the week without wanting to kill someone over a carb though.

To each his own I guess.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Just remember if the carb cycling day kicks you out of ketosis it may take days to get back into that state...therefore slowing down weight loss and confusing your body because our ultimate goal is to become keotadapted and have our body burn fat as a fuel instead of glucose...i can't say I don't ever eat off plan but I am almost to goal and don't plan cheat days...I don't think it would be so awful if you were close to goal and it didn't cause cravings or affect blood sugar and it was only for a meal or snack but it is a very slippery slope for most.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smittin
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins, 3/14/12 started JUDDD
Start Date: 03/13/2012
I've been doing this basically since I started two months ago. my first up day was popcorn. then a few weeks later, I added in something else. so that now, basically I have a 'cheat' day once as week. At easter, I did it for the whole weekend, by sunday I was sick of sugar and glad to go back to lc on monday. You have to be dedicated, know that it's temporary, not a daily thing and don't weigh yourself for the first 3-4 days after have an up day!! you will probably still be retaining water from the carbs. I think of it ast 80/20. eat good old LC for 80% of the time and have an up carb day 20% of the time. I can't say if it's stalled or helped my weight loss, but it's working for me. some people think that carb cycling keeps your metabolism working better. some people can't stop after a cheat/up day. I can stop. it's all in your head. sometimes I get carb cravings the next day, sometimes I don't. I just power thru them and don't give in. oh, and Simply Lite LC Chocolate helps me stay with the program (malitol doesn't affect my weight loss, but does for some people).
smittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

smitten, you started two months ago, how much have you lost while doing this?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I think it depends on a lot of things if one can do this successfully or not. There are really a lot of variables. When I was in my 20s and "did" Atkins for the first time, DH and I would have a "cheat" meal from time to time, maybe 1-3 times a month. We both lost very well during that time and got very near to our goals when we got stupid and quit. When I was losing (I'm currently enduring an epic stall) in 2010, I was pretty faithful to LC and indulged a little bit here and there, but nothing major and certainly not often. It didn't seem to impact my weightloss in either direction. DH lost a fair amount also in 2010, but is currently "maintaining recklessly", as I call it, snacking on carbage here and there fairly regularly, while eating the nice LC meals I prepare for him. If he just cuts this out, he will lose again, but I think he's enjoying himself right now. lol
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Madison Ave
Stats: 186.6/151.8/125 5'3 and a bump :)
Start Date: January 6, 2012
I do carb cycling and it works for me...my carbs are strictly fruits a veggies...some times a whole grain. It has brought my weightloss from about .5 lbs loss a week to about 1.5 -2 lbs a week. Also on my carb days I make sure I stay low fat. Works like a charm for me!
Madison Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Madison Ave
Stats: 186.6/151.8/125 5'3 and a bump :)
Start Date: January 6, 2012
Oh yeah, I also add in either lf yogurt, lf cottage cheese, and, a trex/trail mix.
Madison Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: joanchris2000
I had to do this a couple weeks ago, I was at a conference for a day and there was a sandwich for lunch, very little meat, mostly bread...I'd have starved if I didn't eat the bread. I ate it, then went right back to sticking with Atkins....I had been in a stall, got on the scale the next am and had lost 3 lbs, I was stunned! The weight stayed off, so I guess it didn't harm me any.
joanchris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
I'm with HappyHappyJoyJoy. I simply don't trust myself to up my carbs periodically without precipitating a carb binge. Of course, I'm sure that there are many, many, folks who are stronger than myself and can handle it.

When I have cheated briefly, which is more often than I'd like, I've never seen my weight go DOWN. I've always paid the price with an INCREASE in weight on the following day. YMMV.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

interesting, madison
any reason you go low fat on carb up days?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
There is some great information under the JUDDD thread....many of them follow LC on this plan and they alternate high/low calories or carbs each day. As with any plan this does not work for everyone.

I am close to goal so I have been eating higher carbs Friday night through Saturday and then back on plan. My weight only fluctuates about 1 lb. but is gone as soon as I start my week again. I am fortunate that I don't have cravings the next day either once I stop. Take the time to learn your body and it's responses to various food that you might add in. We are all so different.....Good Luck!
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I'm close to goal, and I did notice a while back that adding in extra carbs in the form of non-starchy veggies seemed to help my weight loss and feelings of satisfaction. Other carbs not so much. Even if my weight and blood sugar were not immediately affected I began to find it harder to stick to my plan even a few days after the carbs. I'd be wanting to eat when not hungry, find myself looking in pantry or fridge constantly, in other words cravings and that kind of discomfort were triggered. It's mostly not worth it to me to have to fight that.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeedracer View Post
Anyone tried the one day a week day of eating carbs and still being able to consistently lose weight overall? I have heard of doing this for stalls, or doing it but not till after induction.
I have done this the entire time during my journey of losing nearly 200 pounds. I usually have a cheat meal on friday nights, but the rest of time I eat very strict. IMO it tricks the metabolism into speeding up again since during the week it slows down as I do not eat so much. Please its something to look forward to at the end of each week.
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCdave View Post
I have done this the entire time during my journey of losing nearly 200 pounds. I usually have a cheat meal on friday nights, but the rest of time I eat very strict. IMO it tricks the metabolism into speeding up again since during the week it slows down as I do not eat so much. Please its something to look forward to at the end of each week.
WOW - Congratulations to you! I have read your posts before but I didn't notice that you have lost almost 200 pounds. You are great inspiration!!!
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
My DH just went LC for real, not just when he feels like it, he carb cycles. Also, it is trendy among his colleagues that are all bikers, so he has some support there too. Call me sexist, but I think this works way better for men than women. He is losing, doesn't feel deprived. Maybe he could lose more if didn't carb cycle and just ate LC, but the best thing is he is able to stay on a LC diet this way and he has better workouts.

Although I have no desire for carby things and LCing is fairly effortless for me, I don't think this would work for me because the cravings would make LCing hard again.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
You might want to allow yourself double your normal carbs for a day and see how you do. Like 40 carbs instead of 20. That would not overload your system and might make it easier to get back in ketosis.
halos is offline   Reply With Quote