Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
Amitriptalyne / Elavil Question

Has anyone had this drug interfere or stop with weightloss on low carb? Im nervous about starting this med cause I dont want anything to stop my weightloss!!
Has anyone been on this and low carb diet at the same time?
I have chronic daily headaches and insomnia and have tried just about everything and have gained weight because of all of it...
Thanks...
Natalie
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rockgal
Hi Natalie, it you're only taking elavil for headaches and insomnia, there are much better things you could try taking - I know topomax and fiorinal (and there are others) are good for headaches, and lunesta, trazadone, and others are good for insomnia. On topomax, some people actually lose a little weight. Elavil is an old drug for depression, and when I took it long ago, I gained some weight quickly. There are much better drugs for depression. On prozac, I lost a bit of weight, just because I wasn't as hungry. But that's just me. I do think you would do better with another drug though.

Keepin' it real.
rockgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Hey Natalie! I was on this drug for a summer two years ago when I went through my biggest portion of weight loss. It didn't interfere with my efforts to lose weight, but I ended up discontinuing use because it didn't really help me and I had other unwanted side effects. I was taking it in conjunction with an anti-depressant and had a major seizure (never had one before, as far as I know!). I didn't want to take any chances with another seizure so I stopped both medications. I don't know if either was the culprit, but it was terrifying.
OTC supplement Melatonin ended up helping me along with exercise a couple hours before bed. I used to have pretty terrible insomnia, luckily don't have that problem anymore.
HUGS!!!! I know it's not fun, I hope you find something that helps you and can provide some relief.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I don't know anything about taking this and if it effects weight loss with LC, but I took this many years ago when I didn't have a weight problem to prevent migraines and it increased my appetite severely! I could have eaten paper! no lie! It is worse then prednisone for me. It may be ok with LC since you can just eat more protein and maybe stay satisfied idk. It worked great for migraines and I slept like a rock! I would take it again for those reasons IF it didn't make me wanna eat everything in sight. Maybe it won't make you feel that way though
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

It made me sleep like a rock too, but the next morning I felt like a zombie trying to claw my way through walls of cotton balls, if that makes any sense.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Lunesta and trazadone are great for bad insomnia, IMHO.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippygypsykaren
Stats: (277) 273.5/255/160
WOE: Low Carb
If you are taking amitriptyline just for insomnia the dose is MUCH smaller than if you were taking it for anything else.

Lack of sleep contributes to weight gain so theoretically even if it would hinder your loss in one way it could help it in another so weight wise it might be a wash.

On the other hand, when we sleep better we feel better which is a bonus unto its self, but which might help you lose weight in other ways such as providing you enough energy/pep to exercise more or try a new calorie burning venture you never felt up to before.

I've done the ami thing, and it worked fabulously for me.
hippygypsykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evilmarketeer
Stats: 16/12/10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
I have been taking this drug for about 10 years. I am a slow loser (it has taken me over a year to lose 30 lbs.). I don't know if the elavil has anything to do with the slow loss, but who knows?

I do know that it is wonderful for preventing headaches and helping me sleep. I also have a hard time waking up in the morning, so I have been cutting my pills in half so I am only taking 12.5mg per night.

It doesn't work for everyone, but I say give it a try!
evilmarketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Orphalie
Stats: 260/245/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: march 10th 2012
I take it in a combo pill because it helps with migrains, insomnia and muscle pain from FM. I love it. It has literaly made me a different person. I wouldn't care if I gained 100 lbs on it, I'd still take it. So if it works for you I wouldn't be too concerned about the WL. Chances are if it works for you then you're more likely to be active and so the impact would be minimal. Yes is can cause weight gain, that is a listed known common side effect in some people. I have LC'd on it over the last couple of months and lost slower than normal but that may just be because I'm doing something different IDK.
Orphalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

the daily constant headaches are my main problem, ive tried topomax and it made me sick, very sick. i couldnt lose weight on depakote even tho i was in ketosis the whole time, so im worried about that happening again...
ambien and lunesta and trazadone dont work for me. ive tried otc melatonin too. i have a head full of botox and im getting nerve block injections monday...
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Just a thought…. Have you seen a chiropractor? When my kids were small I was getting 2-3 migraines a week. I wanted to go back to work and couldn't fathom teaching full time + kids and a house. I started seeing a chiro and saw results pretty quickly. I still got them occassionally but a visit helped immensely. Hope you find something to help….I know what it's like!
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

yes, went to one for a while, acupuncture too. my mri's are clean.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BABYSTEPS
Stats: 240/181/180 male 5'8.5",wife 230/211/155
WOE: low carb/no wheat
Start Date: Jan 2012
I take 10 mg at night.It helps me fall asleep but it makes me very thirsty!
I don't think it affects weight loss at a small dose.
BABYSTEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Anyone else who has been on this and low carbed at the same time? Im back on it and theres no other med that can help keep my migraines at a lower severity. I have Lyme and co infections that Im treating too.
Just wondering if ppl can go into ketosis and lose weight while on this?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
To all those recommending various medications, I just want to mention that different things work for different people. Trazodone, Ambien, and Lunesta did not help my insomnia, nor did melatonin and every herbal remedy anyone has ever heard of. Topomax did not help my migraines. I'm now taking Doxepin for insomnia and it is helping me wonderfully, but there's no guarantee that it will work for any particular individual.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I took it once for migraines about 20 yrs ago at a really small dose. I was pretty thin at the time and do not remember any change in eating or weight. I was also 20 yrs younger! I also remember it not working for me.

I suffer from chronic migraines and tried VLC/NK to help hoping keto adaptation would help in the same way it helps children with epilepsy and at first they did become better only to return with a "violence" I can't really describe. I JUST started a new medicine to prevent them in which my one doctor suggests NOT being in ketosis while on this particular drug. I will still low carb but not VLC. I dont care. Migraines are dangerous.

I would suggest giving it a try if you feel confident about the meds. You can always switch drugs or diets if it isnt working for you.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I took it about 6 days. The final day I ate about 5000 calories by 11am and
was still hungryier than I had ever been in my life. Absolutly horiable experience.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evilmarketeer
Stats: 16/12/10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
My answer from 2012 still holds. Still taking 12.5 mg every night and still losing slowly. I'm now fitting into size 10 jeans, so I guess I should update my signature
evilmarketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Bumping again. Im taking 50 mg per night. Im pretty sure im in ketosis. I lost 5 pounds and Ive gained it back...
I went a whole month on atkins when i was on depakote and i was in ketosis the whole time and did not lose anything.
Im wondering if anyone has been thru this with amitriptyline and not been able to lose or if it wasnt a problem?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I took elavil for 6 weeks for chronic headaches. This after she took me off fiorinol which worked much better. I didn't notice any change in my appetite nor did I gain weight while on this med.

I got off elavil because it quit working at 6 weeks and her answer was to increase the dosage. I already felt like a zombie and no way was I going to increase it. I then sought a chiropractor and that (along with exercise, stress reduction, etc.) helps keep my headaches at bay.

I still get headaches but they are no longer chronic. I 'may' get 1-2 a week but usually an excedrin will knock them right out.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I've suffered with bad migraines for years and have finally found relief.

1) I suggest the book "the Magnesium Miracle" - I take large doses of magnesium every day, along with vitamin D and I think this is a huge part in me going from the month long headaches (constant) to 1 headache every 3 months. If you are already deficient (which most of us are), then going low carb puts the "nail in the coffin" so to speak. It can really exacerbate the problem. Supplements are necessary.

2) I also got massages every week, then every two weeks for a long time and worked out regularly.

3) The last thing that really kicked the migraine bucket is eliminating gluten. Many are resistant to the idea, but I can tell you it was a HUGE part of healing for me. I can't emphasize the word HUGE enough. The book "Grain Brain" is a fantastic discussion about how gluten affects your nervous system.

I hope you find relief - I know, it isn't fun. I still keep some sumatriptin just in case I get a bad one, but I haven't taken one in at least 8 months...probably a year. That is serioulsy amazing for me. There was a time I couldn't believe when people told me they didn't get headaches...it was unfathomable. I used to get migraines all the time and always had some type of medium to high grade pain.

Oh, and I've never been on the drug you mention, but lots of those drugs are known for disrupting metabolism, which is one of the reasons I stayed away. I have enough problems being hypothyroid and balancing my hormones, I didn't need to throw another stick in the wheel.

Last edited by DD80; 12-16-2013 at 09:34 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I've learned mine is from Lyme disease it damaged my nerves surrounding my brain. It's neuralgia, so nothing dietary can help as far as I know.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I've been on induction for 2 weeks now and only lost water weight I don't think this is going to work...
Old 12-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I encourage you to keep reading. The books I cited are helpful and nerves can be damaged or nourished by diet and supplements. I would keep forging ahead, unfortunately, 2 weeks is not enough time to know. I dealt with chronic migraines for years and it took a long time - it was a very slow, gradual process.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote