LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Low carb and Celebrities

It never ceases to amaze me how it seems like low carbing is still relatively foreign to the general population, and yet it is identified over and over by various well-known people as their way of eating.

This morning at the gym I grabbed two mags to read on the stairmaster- this week's edition of US Weekly and People. US featured bikini-ready women and discussed their "diet secrets". Out of about six women, one said she was vegan and ate fruit, vegs and grains. The other five described diets that are Atkins-style, low carb. I.e. Mariah Carey eats a good-size serving of protein within 30 minutes of waking, because protein helps fuel her metabolism all day. All of them said lean protein and vegetables for dinner, etc.

People had Beyonce Knowles as the most beautiful woman in the world (Yeah for curves!), and she described her diet that absolutely 100% low carb.

It escapes me why it is not a more ... "popular" way to eat.

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopewell
It's not PC. If you want to be a part of the 'in' crowd you MUST eat LOW FAT foods only!!
Silly but true...
hopewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
trust me, HEWMONS...

when i finally get my 15 minutes of fame (way overdue, if u ask me)i shall proclaim on every frequency the source of my success: ATKINS & LCF. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I once heard Tira Banks say to one of the girls who had put on a few pounds, on America's Next Top Model.... "stop eating carbs.. throw away the bread"....
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I agree it's puzzling. I would guess these people hire dieticians who take their job seriously and read up on actual nutrition research because they know they'll be judged by the results.

It's very slow to trickle down to the general public though. Just last week my vegetarian friend was lamenting that he wants to trim down but the salad bar didn't have any fat free dressings.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
It is fine with me if no one else knows. I really just care about what works for me.

I don't discuss nutrition with others unless they ask & then I keep it in very general terms - like what I do eat. I would never tell anyone I am eating LC. Not many people actually know what that means. They are usually very accepting when it is spelled out very simply.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
LC will always mean an extreme & very limited fad diet to most people. That is why it is not a good idea to use the term, IMO. People don't realize you can eat fruit & veggies and even grains if you want & still be eating LC nutrition.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Doing my job I deal with some celebrities.Mostly country music people. I will tell you this. Dolly Parton eats low carb to stay thin. She is tiny,I really don`t think she is five feet tall. She wears some huge high heels.She doesn`t care who knows she is low carb.She will not eat out much at all. She has her people keep her bus fridge stocked with low carb foods.When she has time she picks out recipes from LC sites and has them made.I know she loves Linda Sue`s website.I wonder how she found out about it?? LOL. I know a few more that do low carb.I just don`t know if they would care IF i gave out their names.I KNOW Dolly doesn`t.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
Doing my job I deal with some celebrities.Mostly country music people. I will tell you this. Dolly Parton eats low carb to stay thin. She is tiny,I really don`t think she is five feet tall. She wears some huge high heels.She doesn`t care who knows she is low carb.She will not eat out much at all. She has her people keep her bus fridge stocked with low carb foods.When she has time she picks out recipes from LC sites and has them made.I know she loves Linda Sue`s website.I wonder how she found out about it?? LOL. I know a few more that do low carb.I just don`t know if they would care IF i gave out their names.I KNOW Dolly doesn`t.
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I think there's a lot of stars that are low carb, but it's "in" to be vegan (so poor little animals don't suffer) so a lot don't admit it or keep fairly quiet about it.

Imagine the tabloid headlines--"Taylor Swift eats butter and meat".

And as for popularity, on the one hand being more mainstream would mean that we wouldn't have to feel so darn defensive about it. OTOH, some of the Scandanavian countries where LCHF is popular have run out of butter! What a tragedy that would be!

(Actually, I think the danger of that happening here in my lifetime is minimal--there is SO much fat phobia that I think our butter and grass fed meat will be safe for a very long time to come).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
was watching CNBC this morning (hubby has it on in the background to track biz news) One of the morning personalities, Joe Kernen, mentioned how excited he was that Pepsi (I think it was Pepsi) announced they were coming out with Low Carb snacks. One of the others made some joke about that, and Joe says "Well I welcome the opportunity to have something else to munch on...get kind of tired of pork rinds with melted cheddar cheese." When I commented that it sounded like he was LC, hubby said, you bet he is...always interjecting comments like that.

As the show went to commercial you could hear one of the other people on the show saying something about that's a lot of fat you're eating, pork rinds & cheese. And right before they cut to commercial, Joe K says no, carbs make you fat.

Was refreshing to hear someone talking intelligently about LC...

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
was watching CNBC this morning (hubby has it on in the background to track biz news) One of the morning personalities, Joe Kernen, mentioned how excited he was that Pepsi (I think it was Pepsi) announced they were coming out with Low Carb snacks. One of the others made some joke about that, and Joe says "Well I welcome the opportunity to have something else to munch on...get kind of tired of pork rinds with melted cheddar cheese." When I commented that it sounded like he was LC, hubby said, you bet he is...always interjecting comments like that.

As the show went to commercial you could hear one of the other people on the show saying something about that's a lot of fat you're eating, pork rinds & cheese. And right before they cut to commercial, Joe K says no, carbs make you fat.

Was refreshing to hear someone talking intelligently about LC...
That is so cool to hear that a news guy tries to get in his comments about low carb. LOVE IT!!!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #13

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how it seems like low carbing is still relatively foreign to the general population, and yet it is identified over and over by various well-known people as their way of eating.

This morning at the gym I grabbed two mags to read on the stairmaster- this week's edition of US Weekly and People. US featured bikini-ready women and discussed their "diet secrets". Out of about six women, one said she was vegan and ate fruit, vegs and grains. The other five described diets that are Atkins-style, low carb. I.e. Mariah Carey eats a good-size serving of protein within 30 minutes of waking, because protein helps fuel her metabolism all day. All of them said lean protein and vegetables for dinner, etc.

People had Beyonce Knowles as the most beautiful woman in the world (Yeah for curves!), and she described her diet that absolutely 100% low carb.

It escapes me why it is not a more ... "popular" way to eat.
I have that magazine. Actually it says that Jennifer Lopez is the one who eats the protein within 30 minutes of waking. I remember that because it caught my eye.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #14

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Wow, that is really cool that Dolly is a lowcarber and that she loves LindaSue's website. Wouldn't that be so nice to just pick out your favorite recipes and have someone else cook them for you!

Sounds like you have an awesome job. What do you do? I think you need to ask the lowcarb celebs if they mind you giving out their names. Now I really want to know!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
Start Date: 1/1/14
I work at a secluded spa and lodge in the mountains of Tn.We get alot of Country music folks that need to relax and rest.We are not far from Nashville and it is close to home for most of them.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippygypsykaren
Stats: (277) 273.5/255/160
Courtney Thorne Smith does low-carb and is a spokeswoman for Atkins.com.
hippygypsykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkswan
Alec Baldwin is lowcarbing. He mentioned it a little while back on David Letterman. I don't recall the number of pounds he lost however.
pinkswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
We are in a health crisis and if it takes celebrities to shed light on the low carb woe, then I say fabulous!! It will only help to increase acceptance of this woe and the health benefits that come with it.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
A few that made the news:
Drew Carey. "low carb". They got him outside a breakfast restaurant and he had: egg whites and fruit. If I remember correctly (tmz maybe was talking to him?) his "low carb" diet consisted mainly of low-fat protein and fruit.
Lindsey Lohan (I think it was her, a few years back). "low carb" on a movie set. Had a turkey wrap, tossed the lettuce and tomato but ate the tortilla. (because you know only the veggies have carbs).
Not all "low carb" is created equal in the celebrity world.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Years ago, back in the 1950's, Hollywood stars that gained weight were frequently put on a "steak and salad" diet. Shed the weight quickly without the carbs.

I remember reading this several times...particularly about the female stars who had children and had to get down to "movie star" weight for pictures.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Years ago, back in the 1950's, Hollywood stars that gained weight were frequently put on a "steak and salad" diet. Shed the weight quickly without the carbs.

I remember reading this several times...particularly about the female stars who had children and had to get down to "movie star" weight for pictures.
yep, I remember seeing that too...and wasn't Atkins referred to as the "Vogue Super Model diet" at one time?

Remember in the movie "Devil Wears Prada" when the witchy boss sent her new assitant out to get her lunch...the lunch she was supposed to pick up was a rare steak (with no potatoes or rolls!) When I saw that lunch, I thought, "classic low-carb meal...models/fashionistas know)
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Classic "diet plate" was: a ground beef patty or tuna, cottage cheese and a small canned peach or pear half
This was back in the early 1970's. I remember my grandmother and mother ordering that at the diners.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Classic "diet plate" was: a ground beef patty or tuna, cottage cheese and a small canned peach or pear half
This was back in the early 1970's. I remember my grandmother and mother ordering that at the diners.
There was a Kmart near my highschool. I used to head there for lunch and order that very plate. Loved it and so much nicer then what the cafeteria at school was offering.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post

I recall reading about Joan Crawford having steak and a half a grapefruit three times a day to slim down.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Calidreamer
Stats: 242/161/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 10, 2010
Greg Gutfeld the host of RedEye on Fox and one of the hosts on The Five at Fox talks about being on Atkins all the time. He has lost over 40 lbs. One of his guests brought him Deviled Eggs as a treat.
Calidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Calidreamer
Stats: 242/161/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 10, 2010
Quote:
Calidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
LC will always mean an extreme & very limited fad diet to most people. That is why it is not a good idea to use the term, IMO. People don't realize you can eat fruit & veggies and even grains if you want & still be eating LC nutrition.
I think this is exactly right. Nobody says "low-carb" because it's out of fashion and/or considered a freakish diet.

Try calling it Paleo, and ta-da! It's magically cool again .
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Love this thread Its what I've suspected all along. Too bad its not out in the open, it would help more people.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #29

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I think it was always a burger patty, cottage cheese and tomato slices around here. Similar.....
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #30

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's just too difficult for most people! it's different if you are rich and have people to make meals for you.

I can see why the average person just finds it too daunting to have to make every single thing they eat from scratch. personally, I never eat out because there are just too many hidden carbs and it messes with my blood sugar and weight too much. it's biting off a BIG job to keep healthy low carb food always ready when you need it.

never being able to buy prepared foods, having to eschew 95% of the food in grocery stores, and being surrounded by food you have to ignore day in and day out is just hard, even if all the logic in the world says it's the right thing to do.

Last edited by ravenrose; 05-03-2012 at 11:14 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote