Alton Brown is LC.
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how it seems like low carbing is still relatively foreign to the general population, and yet it is identified over and over by various well-known people as their way of eating.

This morning at the gym I grabbed two mags to read on the stairmaster- this week's edition of US Weekly and People. US featured bikini-ready women and discussed their "diet secrets". Out of about six women, one said she was vegan and ate fruit, vegs and grains. The other five described diets that are Atkins-style, low carb. I.e. Mariah Carey eats a good-size serving of protein within 30 minutes of waking, because protein helps fuel her metabolism all day. All of them said lean protein and vegetables for dinner, etc.

People had Beyonce Knowles as the most beautiful woman in the world (Yeah for curves!), and she described her diet that absolutely 100% low carb.

It escapes me why it is not a more ... "popular" way to eat.
Yes I read that. They called it a "protein-rich" diet. Her diet is low-carb, but also VERY low-cal and low-fat. I think that is how many of the starlets stay thin in Hollywood.

And non-starlets, too. I was watching an episode of the Real Housewives of Orange County, and many of them eat low-carb. The one woman ordered a turkey sandwich--wrapped in lettuce. BUT no may, or dressings on it either.

Last edited by Kiley2801; 05-03-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babette Robinson
Stats: 311/250/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04-16-12
Could it be because people think they have to eat big chunks of meat and fat? I think many have the wrong idea about what low carb really is ... but, I do think if more celebs would come out in favor of low carb it would be more "welcomed" in everyday society. Then again, maybe they want to keep it their secret? lol
Babette Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babette Robinson View Post
Could it be because people think they have to eat big chunks of meat and fat? l
Ahem......not that there's anything wrong with THAT!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotten
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLen View Post
Alton Brown is LC.
Do we know this for sure? He is (or was ) a shill for welch's grape juice for a while which is definatly not LC. He has obviously lost a lot of weight and i heard him claims to have done it eating mostly sardines and fruit. He also mentioned he was going to write a book about it, but that may have just been a joke.

An interesting tidbit, i gave AB a copy of Fathead last year at a book signing. I told him he had to watch it. Should have left him an email in it. I told him he should check out Tom Naughton's blog as well. Mr Naughton hasn't mentioned being contacted by AB yet.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dezi
Stats: 5 foot 11 inches 142lbs BMI 19.9/Goal BMI was 20.6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 1 2012
I've always assumed that VERY THIN celebs were LC and even if they wered veggie, probably less than 100 carbs a day. And from beans not breads.

Either that or anorexia but I am thinking they wouldn't have healthy looking faces if they werent eating. People always say that when they could just be eating lobster and asparagus all the time with melted butter!

I remember Rihanna kinda accidentally inferring she was LC in a magazine interview about how she said she eats more carbs than her personal trainer would like, and thats why she isn't a size 0. (Basically she is of the mindset that carbs = less weight management) Its kind of a way of saying your LC without saying it.

More than her traner would like could mean 100 instead of 50. Who knows what it means, but she restricts carbs for sure.

FTR I dont think she needs to be a size 0 lol.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||.||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

5'11" 38-27.5-38
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dezi
Stats: 5 foot 11 inches 142lbs BMI 19.9/Goal BMI was 20.6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 1 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
Do we know this for sure? He is (or was ) a shill for welch's grape juice for a while which is definatly not LC. He has obviously lost a lot of weight and i heard him claims to have done it eating mostly sardines and fruit. He also mentioned he was going to write a book about it, but that may have just been a joke.

An interesting tidbit, i gave AB a copy of Fathead last year at a book signing. I told him he had to watch it. Should have left him an email in it. I told him he should check out Tom Naughton's blog as well. Mr Naughton hasn't mentioned being contacted by AB yet.
Yeah I JUST saw his welches commercial yesterday!
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in Hollywood ate lowcarb. All the women at least. They just don't call it "low carb". I just read a little blurb about how Beyonce got her "bikini body" back by working out with her personal trainer 5x per week and eating lean protein and veggies.

I think most people will actually recognize that a diet of chicken and broccoli will help them drop weight. I don't think there would be much argument with that. I think it's the sustainability factor that's difficult. Atkins gets a bad rep because it's high fat, but I think that plans like South Beach are actually pretty well regarded as a "healthy" way to eat. I think folks just think it's probably hard to stick to because they can't imagine giving up bread, rice and pasta.

Speaking of which, I went to the gym during lunch and Ellen was on. Her guest was Bill Clinton and they were talking about him going vegan to help with his heart issues. He said that even as a vegan he still has to watch it because there are many foods that are still allowed that are bad for you. He actually then went into the fact that when you eat white carbs, they get turned into sugar in your bloodstream and those are what you need to watch out for. Go Bill!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hoonosewen
Stats: 248/229.6/180
WOE: Atkins-induction more or less
Start Date: 2004 lost 50lbs, latest restart 9-26-2013
Low Carb?

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me how it seems like low carbing is still relatively foreign to the general population, and yet it is identified over and over by various well-known people as their way of eating.

This morning at the gym I grabbed two mags to read on the stairmaster- this week's edition of US Weekly and People. US featured bikini-ready women and discussed their "diet secrets". Out of about six women, one said she was vegan and ate fruit, vegs and grains. The other five described diets that are Atkins-style, low carb. I.e. Mariah Carey eats a good-size serving of protein within 30 minutes of waking, because protein helps fuel her metabolism all day. All of them said lean protein and vegetables for dinner, etc.

People had Beyonce Knowles as the most beautiful woman in the world (Yeah for curves!), and she described her diet that absolutely 100% low carb.

Well.. because it's just Anti-American.. come to think of it, it's anti almost every modern civilized culture. You're taking away the foods that people most relate to as craving and comfort foods.. you're talking about celebrations, family get togethers, pizza and beer with the boys, grandma's baked cookies, warm bread made in the morning, family evenings with tea and cookies and so on. Carbs send very strong "this is good" messages to the brain and put together with the emotional comfort/happiness of family time or family members that can be very powerful.

Go back a few hundred years and more so a few thousand years and all of the sudden we low carbers wouldn't be the weird ones anymore.. the food of most modern day people would probably be unrecognizable as food to them.

Sorry.. just had to say something
Hoonosewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
There's an episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats show where he goes into detail about his diet. It's called "Live and Let Diet"

It's lowER carb, though I wouldn't really call it low carb. He emphasizes lean meats, low fat, but grains and carbs are part of it.

If you google the episode title you can find bits of the episode on YouTube and even a transcript.

He does recommend fruit smoothies with grape juice, so that's why he's hawking that.

Last edited by Janknitz; 10-06-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
I really don't know why it's not more popular. I have noticed that my DD is starting to eat "lower carb" since she had my DGD and is trying to lose baby weight. She's also hypoglycemic and asked me if eating "lower carb" will keep her pancreas from dying out from being hypo as quickly as if it would if she ate regular. I really don't know so I didn't know what to tell her, other than - Google it!
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hsmjlkelly
Stats: 153/144.5/110
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: Oct.2013
Sharon Osbourne is on Adkins tv commercials for the frozen dinners.
hsmjlkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #43
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Most diets are low carb by the very fact that they eliminate the junk which is always carb heavy and of the worst sort. So even the potato hack is 'lower carb' compared to what most were eating. So yes, low carb is a relative term.

The Beyonce 'diet' could not be considered low carb except the amounts could be quite low. Impossible to tell from the article. No matter as it is totally unsustainable and the notion that our bodies, need 'cleansing' is pretty ridiculous in my opinion unless you are talking about washing up the outside.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Geography and economic demogrphics play a part in LC understanding and acceptance. I would guess in my area close to a big city upper middle class enomically most people understand LC as part of weight loss and health even if they choose not to eat that way. People Are rather health concious in my town and typically when on a weight loss program choose to reduce sugars and grains. Hollywood as an appearance based industry with money and resources would certainly fit into a LC mindset .
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Most diets are low carb by the very fact that they eliminate the junk which is always carb heavy and of the worst sort. So even the potato hack is 'lower carb' compared to what most were eating.
They might as well say "low fat" too then. The general low carb diet also tends to be low in fat when you take away cookies and potato chips. I just don't agree that a non-junk/snack/processed food diet means low carb. Many health food people that eat like this and they don't call it "low carb". Bodybuilders tend to do some kind of 30/30/40 ratio of everything and don't put much label on it.

Last edited by UghNowWhat; 10-07-2013 at 07:17 AM..
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #46
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Agreed. I am just saying that they use the term low carb as a relative term. Lower carb compared to what they had been eating.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
I think a lot of it is the media. We are constantly being told that this product is healthy or that the low fat prevents heart disease. I must say growing up in the 70's I remember eating a full course meal at home and at school. And it was not chicken nuggets or pizza at school it was beef tips, chili, baked chicken, real vegetables. If we had macaroni and cheese it was a treat at our house. I do remember TV dinners but they were again an occasional treat. Perhaps it was just my family that did this but none of us were overweight and we were constantly outside playing from morning until night.

srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it's just too difficult for most people! it's different if you are rich and have people to make meals for you.

I can see why the average person just finds it too daunting to have to make every single thing they eat from scratch. personally, I never eat out because there are just too many hidden carbs and it messes with my blood sugar and weight too much. it's biting off a BIG job to keep healthy low carb food always ready when you need it.

never being able to buy prepared foods, having to eschew 95% of the food in grocery stores, and being surrounded by food you have to ignore day in and day out is just hard, even if all the logic in the world says it's the right thing to do.
Being gluten free, I feel the same way. It is nice in a way, because I generally know what is in the food I buy (no way to be 100% sure unless I raise and slaughter myself), but everytime I go out to eat, I seem to get glutened. It is frustrating. And I'm one that loves to cook at home - LOVE it. Sometimes, you just want a meal you didn't cook and not worry about it.

I am also annoyed at "hidden" ingredients in food. If it's MSG, call it MSG...if it's flour, call it "wheat flour." I can't buy anything with "natural flavors" or "yeast extract" or blah blah blah!

Ok, off my soap box.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I'm pretty sure 3 full squares was a lot lower carb than SAD. Trouble happened not from carbs but excessive carbs and excessive quantities of those carbs along with food additives .
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Could it be because people think they have to eat big chunks of meat and fat? I think many have the wrong idea about what low carb really is ...
But low-carb isn't "really" any one thing. It might look very different for three or four different people, but that doesn't mean one of them is correct and the others are doing it wrong, like Drew Carey eating fruit and lean protein. Fruit isn't part of some people's personal low-carb plans but it's fine for others, and eating lots of cheese and fatty meat isn't part of some people's low carb plans but it's fine for others.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hsmjlkelly
Stats: 153/144.5/110
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: Oct.2013
Here's a few more celebs that I have heard them say they did LC, Heidi Klum and Faith Hill. I saw Heidi and Seal, when they were still together sit down to eat steak and salad with no carbs! Heidi was almost like apologizing saying this diet isn't for everyone but it looks pretty good on her, 4 kids later!

Faith Hill was munching on a raw green bean saying she needed protein. This was many years ago.

Also I remember they said Catherine Zeta Jones married to Michael Douglas was low carb.
hsmjlkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Catherine zeta jones is also openly bipolar and there's evidence a vlc diet helps control the disorder. The BP meds are also known to cause drastic weight gain and lowcarb certainly helps to control that as well!
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote