Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Coconut Oil - How do you get it in during the day? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/770156-coconut-oil-how-do-you-get-during-day.html)

KellyMarie38 05-01-2012 08:41 PM

Coconut Oil - How do you get it in during the day?

I was thinking of trying some in my coffee tomorrow AM. What other ways can I get it in. I love how much it suppresses appetite and want that benefit right now. How much do you eat each day? tia for any info

Janknitz 05-01-2012 08:49 PM

Increase your dose gradually or you risk GI upset. I have a jar at work so I can put it in coffee and tea, and sometimes I take a coconut treat to work with me like coconut oil fudge.

KellyMarie38 05-01-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 15625413)
Increase your dose gradually or you risk GI upset. I have a jar at work so I can put it in coffee and tea, and sometimes I take a coconut treat to work with me like coconut oil fudge.

How do you make the fudge? tia :)

juliekaboolie 05-01-2012 09:57 PM

I use it in my cooking...sautee veggies, eggs, or meats in it. I also use it in my coffee and sometimes put some on top of a square of dark chocolate. :)

More Butter Please 05-01-2012 11:37 PM

I use regular coconut oil for cooking--I eat a lot of stir-fries, and it's my favorite oil for that; eggs are also good cooked in it. You can also throw it in to soups, sauces, and other dishes.

I just can't hack the CO-in-coffee thing, but I do take 2T of MCT oil in the late afternoon/early evening an hour or so before breaking my fast period. (If I ate on a normal schedule I'd have it in the morning, alongside my coffee.) That's far more than I'd advise a newbie to take, however--there can be some serious GI unpleasantness if you take too much too soon.:sick: On the bright side, constipation will not be a problem...:D:o

PghPALady1974 05-02-2012 03:02 AM

coffee and fat bombs

beachguy 05-02-2012 04:49 AM

2 tbsp right off the spoon. Try Coconut Mana if you want a sweeter taste. Warning - it can be addicting.

KellyMarie38 05-02-2012 05:53 AM

I put a tsp in my coffee this am, and I can get it this way every am. I will have to find the recipe for coconut bark fudge? I think I used to make it years ago. So, most get 2 tablespoons daily? is this enough for an appetite suppression effect also?

Janknitz 05-02-2012 07:10 AM

I make coconut "fudge" by using a regular "bark" recipe (I use melted unsweetened baking chocolate instead of cocoa powder and erithrytol for the sweetener) and adding a few drops of cream to make it creamier and softer. I make it in little tiny jam jars and eat it with a spoon instead of hardening it in the freezer. Yum!

Bobby_Boomer 05-02-2012 08:02 AM

I put it on my salad with red wine vinegar. Nice clean tasting, low carb, non-frankenfood salad dressing.

ElizabethLC 05-02-2012 08:09 AM

I make coconut macaroons with
1T coconut oil (15g)
3T unsweetened shredded coconut (15g)
1T SF davincis (15g)
pinch of salt
dash of either almond, coconut, lemon or raspberry extract

I make them in a little bowl and put in the fridge until set! A great treat!

jandjsmom 05-02-2012 08:45 AM

This pudding is my breakfast almost every morning. Keeps me full most of the day!!

Bunny's pudding recipes!

Warm Chocolate Pudding
Put 2 eggs in a blender, add 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 3 splenda, 1 tbsp. cocoa and blend. Meanwhile, put 2 tbsp. EVCO in bowl and nuke for 1 minute. Add to egg mixture and blend again for a minute. Transfer to mug/small bowl and nuke for abou 30 seconds, just enough to warm. It is incredible; thick, creamy, warm, just like homemade chocolate pudding right off the stove but better. It's the EVCO that does the trick.

****I use 3 packets of truvia and usually don't add vanilla

dazygyrl 05-02-2012 01:01 PM

i mad the most yummy pudding yesterday with coconut milk (canned variety)

1/2 c coconut milk (full fat)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 oz softened cream cheese
10 drops ezsweets
1 tsp truvia
1/4 tsp (heaping) gluc powder
1/4 c water

combine and mix with a blender/magic bullet/etc...i used an immersion blender. chill till set up. at first it will have a funky consistency after setting, but upon further stirring...or even zapping with the blender again, it will smooth out and be creamy dreamy. :yummy:

this could be made into chocolate pudding as well!

dawnyama 05-02-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyMarie38 (Post 15625398)
I was thinking of trying some in my coffee tomorrow AM. What other ways can I get it in. I love how much it suppresses appetite and want that benefit right now. How much do you eat each day? tia for any info

Right now, my WOE does not allow for fats. But when I am not in losing mode and do have coconut oil, I get in 3.5 Tablespoons daily. I eat them all off the spoon. I don't like my eggs tasting like coconuts, I don't drink hot tea every day, and don't like cocoa crack :laugh: Therefore, the only way to ensure that I get in my daily dose is take it with a Tablespoon.

HappyHappyJoyJoy 05-03-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandjsmom (Post 15626371)
This pudding is my breakfast almost every morning. Keeps me full most of the day!!

Bunny's pudding recipes!

Warm Chocolate Pudding
Put 2 eggs in a blender, add 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 3 splenda, 1 tbsp. cocoa and blend. Meanwhile, put 2 tbsp. EVCO in bowl and nuke for 1 minute. Add to egg mixture and blend again for a minute. Transfer to mug/small bowl and nuke for abou 30 seconds, just enough to warm. It is incredible; thick, creamy, warm, just like homemade chocolate pudding right off the stove but better. It's the EVCO that does the trick.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this recipe! I have had it twice since I saw this post less than 24 hours ago and I LOVE it!:love::love::love: It's great for breakfast or even a snack at night.

I had it last night and woke up to a 1 pound loss - WOO HOO!

Fortunately, I haven't had a "bad" reaction yet to the the amounts of CO, since this is my first foray into the CO world.

Texas Girl 05-03-2012 02:52 PM

OMG this sounds awesome. I can't wait to try it. Thanks so much.

jandjsmom 05-03-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy (Post 15629953)
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this recipe! I have had it twice since I saw this post less than 24 hours ago and I LOVE it!:love::love::love: It's great for breakfast or even a snack at night.

I had it last night and woke up to a 1 pound loss - WOO HOO!

Fortunately, I haven't had a "bad" reaction yet to the the amounts of CO, since this is my first foray into the CO world.

I'm so glad you like it!! This has definetely been a real lifesaver recipe for me. It is a staple in my diet! I don't think that I could eat it at night though, the CO gives me energy through the roof!!!

lynnport 05-03-2012 10:39 PM

Go to Linda Sue's recipes... substitute coconut oil for the butter and coconut flavor for the vanilla!!!

HappyHappyJoyJoy 05-04-2012 02:12 PM

It's my third day eating the coconut oil chocolate pudding. I've woken up the past two mornings to good weight loss (total of 1.4 pounds down over the 2 days). I don't know if it's the CO chocolate pudding but it may be.

Anyone else have this happen?

Lovin' that pudding!:love::love::love:

Texas Girl 05-04-2012 02:24 PM

Great news about yoru weight loss. I am going to try to make it this weekend. I hope it happens to me:)

jandjsmom 05-04-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy (Post 15632454)
It's my third day eating the coconut oil chocolate pudding. I've woken up the past two mornings to good weight loss (total of 1.4 pounds down over the 2 days). I don't know if it's the CO chocolate pudding but it may be.

Anyone else have this happen?

Lovin' that pudding!:love::love::love:

I definetly think it is the pudding. CO, in my opinion, is like a secret weapon! It is a super healthy fat with tons of benefits, plus it satisfies you so I believe you eat less calories throughout the day.

Caty 05-05-2012 07:30 AM

Sound so delicious.
I eat CO, use it to clean my face and put it on my dry hair, legs and feet. Smell nice and clean after showering.

dawnyama 05-05-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caty (Post 15633572)
Sound so delicious.
I eat CO, use it to clean my face and put it on my dry hair, legs and feet. Smell nice and clean after showering.

Me too :D I slather it all over myself. I love it on my face, and my underarms before I use deodorant. It takes the stink out of me when I wear sleeveless in the summer. I :heart: CO!!! Use it for everything!!

KellyMarie38 05-05-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 15633742)
Me too :D I slather it all over myself. I love it on my face, and my underarms before I use deodorant. It takes the stink out of me when I wear sleeveless in the summer. I :heart: CO!!! Use it for everything!!

Where do you guys buy your coconut oil? I have been eating the coconut bark and my appetite is way less. I'm happy about that.

Hildebeest 05-05-2012 11:29 AM

I buy the Nutiva CO from Netrition.

CO is really miraculous stuff. If I don't use it for a long time and then go back to it, the effects are immediately noticeable: Suppressed appetite, glowing skin, soft hair, extra energy, improved 'regularity', etc. etc.... every time I go back to it I wonder why I ever stopped using it. I haven't been very creative with it lately; I just add it to my coffee and use it in stir fries. Once upon a time, I made chocolate mint coconut bark and coconut-peanut butter cups, but for now I'm limiting artificial sweeteners and trying to keep it simple - maybe later. :)

dawnyama 05-05-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyMarie38 (Post 15633915)
Where do you guys buy your coconut oil? I have been eating the coconut bark and my appetite is way less. I'm happy about that.

I buy Tropical Traditions. You can only get it online, well I can! No health food store by me carries that brand. They run specials all the time--free shipping, buy one get one free. That sort of stuff. I buy my oils by the gallon. I also buy a lot of their other coconut products--Baby Silk lotion, coconut flakes, coconut soap, coconut shampoo----I have everything coconut :p

Galveston Gal 05-05-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElizabethLC (Post 15626265)
I make coconut macaroons with
1T coconut oil (15g)
3T unsweetened shredded coconut (15g)
1T SF davincis (15g)
pinch of salt
dash of either almond, coconut, lemon or raspberry extract

I make them in a little bowl and put in the fridge until set! A great treat!

Just finished this treat....:D.....:D.....:D
It was so rich, after 2 nibbles, I had to set it back into the frig to keep it firm...
....then 2 more nibbles....dreamed about how I could add a chocolate coating...put it back in the frig....
.....finally....finished it off!!!

The bag of unsweetened coconut (Kroger brand) says 3 total carbs per 2 Tbsp...minus the 2g Fiber....so, do the math....1.5 net carbs for the coconut...add in whatever else you put in....
.....:heart:

Texas Girl 05-07-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandjsmom (Post 15626371)

Bunny's pudding recipes!

Warm Chocolate Pudding

OMG this is amazing. I finally made in Sunday morning and I am down 2 pounds this morning. I made it again this morning so hopefully my body will continue to respond and my skin will glow:) When I first purchased the EVCO is made me sick to my stomach (trying to eat it plain) but several of you mentioned using it for stir fry etc. The pudding keeps me full for about 5 hours! Thanks to all - great advice and fantastic recipe.

millergirl1976 05-07-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliekaboolie (Post 15625467)
I use it in my cooking...sautee veggies, eggs, or meats in it. I also use it in my coffee and sometimes put some on top of a square of dark chocolate. :)

Does it have any flavor?

mimivac 05-07-2012 10:14 AM

Interesting. I have a jar in my pantry that I have barely touched. What does it do for you besides the benefit of being a stable oil that doesn't go rancid easily? What are the appetite suppressant effects? I may have to try some in my morning tea.