Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
low carb vs paleo

I like some aspects of the paleo diet, but in order to get my family on board I need to include beans and dairy. Any insight on this?

I am very curious about fruit and things to add and how the sugar would effect me and my weight....

TIA!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I say take it slow. Mark Sisson or Rob Wolff (can't remember which one) goes by the 80% rule. 80% is good enough. So if you're family is still hooked on dairy, that's fine.

Try to make it the best quality dairy you can. A lot of Paleo/Primal recommend raw dairy (unpasturized) but I simply cannot afford it. But I do go for the highest fat, grass fed, organic, dairy I can find (I live in a rural county with plenty of dairy cows, so it's not too difficult).

Watch the fruit. Some people can tolerate it, others don't. I'd start with the low glycemic stuff--berries and melon and in small quantities. Watch your body--I use a glucometer and weight to determine what I can tolerate. The same with the so-called "safe starches" that a lot of Paleos are pushing now.

Fruit is full of fructose, and that's the sugar that us insulin resistant people have the biggest issues with, so not everyone can add it back in to the diet, Paleo or not.

What kind of beans are you talking about??? Watch out for soy--the phytoestrogens are nasty and almost all soy sold in the US is GMO and farmed with industrial farm practices. Green beans fall in that grey zone--kind of legumes, but also kind of not. I eat them. Other beans (pinto, garbanzo, kidney, etc.) bother some people, but you can try to gradually faze them out. You'll have such other wonderful foods your family may not notice.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: loveispeakincode
Stats: 180/132/127
WOE: Somersize/Atkins
Start Date: (around) 4/1/2010
i've read that as long as you eat the fruit (berries mostly) in the morning or at least on an empty stomach, then wait at least an hour to eat fat or protein youre ok..might not lose as much as fast, but if adding fruit is important to you go for it..a lot of people lose eating the "somersizing" way & that allows you to eat fruit, as long as you eat it like i mentioned.

i'm pretty much paleo..want to read up on how & what i need to do to make it more official..for a lack of better words.
but i cant give up pork rinds forever..so i'm thinking as long as i keep pork rinds to a minimum i'll be ok. oh & i use dairy..just not NEARLY as much of it as when i 1st started LCing.

good luck!
loveispeakincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dezi
Stats: 5 foot 11 inches 142lbs BMI 19.9/Goal BMI was 20.6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 1 2012
There's paleo and theres Primal. Do the less strict one (I dont know which this is)
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me - WENDALINA View Post
I like some aspects of the paleo diet, but in order to get my family on board I need to include beans and dairy. Any insight on this?

I am very curious about fruit and things to add and how the sugar would effect me and my weight....

TIA!
Hey Wendy! I recommend going over to Marks Daily Apple and reading up on what the Primal Blueprint is all about. There are differences between Primal and paleo, in same way there are differences between "Atkins" and general low carb. Both, though, recommend limiting dairy (Primal less so than paleo) and excluding legumes (the there are some posts at MDA that discuss how to make them "safer").
As for fruit and such, the only way to know for sure how it will affect you is to try them in a controlled, experimental way.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Hey there!

I second checking out Mark's Daily Apple...great info for eating paleo/primal. If your family needs dairy, then you probably want to follow the Primal Blueprint (a book you can buy). Primal and Paleo people do not eat beans, though. Paleo people don't eat dairy. The book explains the reasons for this. Also, be careful with fruit. My physician told me that fruit IS sugar...no different than any other sweet. She actually has me not eating it at all because of the carbohydrate load it provides. Best wishes to you and your family on this WOE!!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
It's often better to take control of your own plan instead of swallowing a prefab plan whole. For what it's worth, I can't bring myself to demonize any whole food so I've included dairy, beans, and fruit from the beginning and lost weight--none of them as a main course, but things like black bean relish on a salad or a 4-5 oz. cup of chopped fruit with breakfast.

As long as you're literate with portion measurements and record your own results accurately, you'll know how the answer. You can always scale back later.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
thanks everybody! this is great information....it can all be so sometimes.

I think right now, in order to avoid sheer mutiny, I will work on getting all the processed stuff out of the family diet. Will be easier than just a complete restart. Then slowly shift in to some other things that will be both healthier but less noticable. I'm also kinda leaning more toward primal since it seems to be less strict so to speak.

Thanks again!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
If you personally dont want to eat fruit, there is no reason why you can't skip it but buy it for the rest of the family. If you manage to get the family on a nonprocesed, no junk food, healthy diet.... that would be awesome! I really dont think having some fruit on top of it would hurt them!

I dont know the ages of your kids, but there is an adorable book of paleo recipes and nutritional advice for kids called "eat like a dinosaur".

For boys in the family, I think both the association of primal eating with Marks Daily Apple being a masculine "get fit, get strong" type of website or with paleo eatings association with "crossfit" training, could be great for them to think of the diet as "cool".

Last edited by Strawberry; 05-16-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Yep. I'm in the same boat, too. I could get by with a hunk of meat and a handful of veggies 3-4 times a day...but my family will require a bit more creativity. I also just got the "Eat like a Dinosaur" book by the Paleoparents. (name??) They use alot of coconut products in place of dairy. I'm hoping to get my family in full swing during the Summer, hopefully!! Good luck to you!!
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rsmorales
Stats: 5'1'' 158
WOE: LCHF/Atkins/Primal
Start Date: November 26, 2013
The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. I do a combination of Atkins and Paleo. Atkins provides a general framework for me in terms of my carb consumption, and Paleo provides guidelines as to what the quality of my food should be like.

Before assuming that you and/or your family need beans and dairy, try 30 days without both. Trust me, I used to eat cheese and artificial sweeteners (diet soda) with every meal. Once I discovered that those items might cause an insulin spike, which might in turn halt my weight loss, I kicked artificial sweeteners, dairy, and beans overnight--and felt amazing. It's been 6 months since I last touched cheese, splenda and beans.

And frankly, I don't get tempted at all--not at the smell of quesadillas, nachos, pizza, etc.

Try it --you might surprise yourself.

Last edited by rsmorales; 05-17-2012 at 12:28 PM..
rsmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. I do a combination of Atkins and Paleo. Atkins provides a general framework for me in terms of my carb consumption, and Paleo provides guidelines as to what the quality of my food should be like.

Before assuming that you and/or your family need beans and dairy, try 30 days without both. Trust me, I used to eat cheese and artificial sweeteners (diet soda) with every meal. Once I discovered that those items might cause an insulin spike, which might in turn halt my weight loss, I kicked artificial sweeteners, dairy, and beans overnight--and felt amazing. It's been 6 months since I last touched cheese, splenda and beans.

And frankly, I don't get tempted at all--not at the smell of quesadillas, nachos, pizza, etc.

Try it --you might surprise yourself.
I would love to see a daily menu. Sometimes I think I would feel better with no dairy, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote