Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: josbutterfly
good carbs vs bad??

I am following a low fructose diet having been inspired by the dr mercola website (which is well worth a look if u haven't been on)
as part of that I had cut down on my carbs, cutting out all bread and pasta and potatoes which i previously ate alot of (although i do still eat sweet potatoes as I understand these are alot etter than white ones)

i had replaced bread with rice cakes thinking they were lower carb but now i have realised rice is high carb too, I know there are some carbs classed as good because they are more complex carbs

given that i don't want to eliminate carbs completely but do want to cut down would it be better for me to eat whole grain bread or stick with rice cakes??

also i eat porridge for breakfast, I read somewhere else that grains are high in carb but again if you eat whole grain or whole oat then this is classed as complex carb and better for you

would appreciate your wisdom and advice on this
josbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
You might want to have a look at the Low Glycemic Load Diet...Thompson is the author if I remember correctly.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: roamer723
Stats: 6' 6" 354.4/292.4/250(or until "Scoop" is gone)
WOE: low carb'ish
Start Date: March 18 2008
good carbs I know of are ones from veggies mainly. Fruits too I spose, but you have to be more careful with the fruits b/c of the sugar.

you can generally cheat tho, because what you're more concerned with is "Net" carbs which is Carbs minus fiber.

I'm sure there's better experts than me on here, but that could be a start for you. For my breakfasts, I like to make a week's worth of scrambled eggs on the weekends then reheat each day during the week. generally I'll make them with Olive Oil and salt/pepper to taste.

Sobriety is Wasted on the Sober
roamer723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
jos - a book I'd really recommend is "Why We Get Fat.." by Gary Taubes. His discussion about the effect of carbs on our bodies, and mainly their effect on insulin production and fat storage. GREAT read, and so informative if you're considering a LC WOE.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I had never heard of this diet, so I popped over to the Mercola site. The very first thing Dr. Mercola has people do is eliminate gluten. That means no wheat, so no bread.

Other grains like rice and oats don't have gluten, but if you look around the Mercola site, you'll see articles like Reduce Grains and Sugar to Lose Weight and Improve Health, and Low Grain and Carbohydrate Diets Treat Hypoglycemia, Heart Disease, Diabetes Cancer and Nearly ALL Chronic Illness.

Sounds to me that, depending on your constitution and goals, limiting/eliminating grains might be part of this plan.

My advice would be to study up on the Mercola site if you want to follow the Mercola diet. There's plenty of information there to answer your questions.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
RICE CAKES ARE GREAT!!!

for Hockey and Frisbee. I was not aware they had any nutition. You would do better to eat a small portion of brown rice, if rice was that important to you. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
for Hockey and Frisbee. I was not aware they had any nutition. You would do better to eat a small portion of brown rice, if rice was that important to you. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
And they don't even taste good!

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Good carbs/bad carbs...depends on who you're talking to and whether or not you have a metabolic problem (e.g. diabetes, insulin resistance, etc.).

For those with metabolic disorders, good carbs are green vegies. Bad carbs are everything else. As Bernstein says, our bodies can get all the nutrition they need with just green vegies and protein and without creating problems with high blood sugar.

For those without metabolic disorders, good carbs are green vegies and can be fruits. Depending on the WOE you're following anything else would be bad carb...or not.

Personally, if I could eat whole grains without my blood sugar being affected...I would. It would just give me more options and I'd feel less restricted on what I could eat. If you're trying to do low carb though, I'd still keep the days total carbs below 100...although the ADA considers 145 to be low carb and I suppose it is since the current recommended dietary guidelines push that closer to 300 or above. So by that standard 145 is low. High for those who promote a low carb WOE.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: josbutterfly
thanks everyone for the ideas/advice, maybe its only me but i really like rice cakes!!!
the mercola site has inspired me but his diet plan is a definitely too full on for me, means cutting out alot of things,

the no sugar thing is good and has been much easier than i thought

the next step is probably to reduce carbs but thats easier said than done so any more ideas or encouragements are welcomed

have been pondering this week on what the bible says about our bodies are temples of the holy spirit, we really do need to value them and recognise them as gifts from God and do what we can to look after our health
josbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by josbutterfly View Post
the next step is probably to reduce carbs but thats easier said than done so any more ideas or encouragements are welcomed
Whatever your plan, there needs to be a balance between effectiveness and compliance. If you add too many prohibitions, eventually you'll run into diminishing returns (e.g. giving up a food you really love for 1% faster loss)

There are so many health benefits by keeping refined grain and added sugar to an absolute minimum, that's the best starting point IMO. Those two ingredients make up almost 40% of the US calorie supply so it might seem like a major upheaval at first but there's an infinite variety of meals you can eat without them. Just gotta hold yourself to a higher standard and say "I deserve food, not industrial powder".
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
Try losing the rice cakes. If you must eat bread, whole grain brown bread or sprouted whole grain bread would be better then rice cakes.

Good carbs on a high carb diet would be brown bread, whole grains, unprocessed fruit and vegetables. White is bad, except for Cauliflower. (white rice, white bread, white potatoes,sugar, and refined anything.)
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Here are my good carbs (yours may vary):

For weight loss:
green leafy veggies
non-starchy veggies: winter squash, tomatoes, cauliflower, mushrooms, zucchini, green beans

Slower weight loss, but very healthy: root veggies have higher levels of carbs, but for me, they're very healthy carbs: carrots, beets, parsnips, onions, leeks, sweet potatoes.
Berries and melons also are great sources of healthy carbs for me; too many will certainly slow weight loss.

Last edited by tiva; 04-30-2012 at 06:59 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think whole grains get better publicity than they deserve. To me, refined grains are terrible, and whole grains are maybe 10% better than terrible, which is still pretty terrible!

people get so excited about quinoa, for example. what a high protein grain! well look at it. for 1 cup cooked you get 8 grams of protein and 34 grams net carbs, 5 grams fiber. would you call that a high protein food? of course not
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I think whole grains get better publicity than they deserve. To me, refined grains are terrible, and whole grains are maybe 10% better than terrible, which is still pretty terrible!

It's like light cigarettes instead of regular cigarettes.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #15

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

It's like light cigarettes instead of regular cigarettes.
excellent comparison!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote