Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bdaustin7
Stats: 153/145.8/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Need advice on will power/ sticking to it!

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I need some advice on how you guys stick to the low carb. I know that after your in ketosis, the cravings really do go away and it is much easier, but for me, the problem is just those few days of getting to that point that are like climbing mount Everest!

Four weeks ago, I stuck with it for 2 solid weeks (small victory)...i felt great, lost 8 pounds, and my stomach looked better than it has in a LONG time. However, we went out of town for a weekend camping and I fell off the wagon for the last 2 weeks of diet and exercise. Getting back into it has been so difficult! what motivates you guys? How do you create the will power? Any tips or advice?

thanks everyone for your help! It really is soooo difficult for me!
bdaustin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 210/159/130
WOE: <20 Carbs Daily
Start Date: July 2011
I used to get a journal. It lets you plan ahead, so you don't have to worry about falling off, and it lets you write your goals, your vents, your stressing, anything down. Get on here everyday! We won't judge you. We've all fallen off. Sometimes, you just have to keep trying until it sticks! Even if you do fall off, if you make a habit of getting on here and posting, you'll be more likely to get back on track , because you don't want to let your readers down. Get Atkins bars and shakes on hand for when a craving strikes. Sugar free jello and popsicles have helped me!

210 ~~~~200 ~~~~190 *Onederland* ~~~~180 ~~~~170 ~~~~160 ~~~~ Now-155 ~~~~ Minigoal 140!!
Minimizing_Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

thank you so much! that is a great idea.... I have the loose it! app on my phone which I really love but it doesn't allow me to put down my vents, frustrations, and food triggers. I really want to do this. thank you again for your encouragement!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
I understand you being frustrated but just get back on track again. I lost 13 pounds on Ideal Protein and then changed over to Atkins sometime in March and the thing that keeps me going is knowing that I can follow this new way of eating for life. Even though I lost more quickly on IP as far as the scale goes......I was always starving and could not fit that way of eating into any of my social activities. Staying home all of the time and being hungry did not make me a happy camper!

I started reading all of the low carb boards and decided that I would change to Atkins.

My actual weight loss was slow at first (I am currently only about 7 pounds from goal) but it has really kicked into gear this week. During the time I was not having any weigh loss via the scale, my entire body was changing. I went down another size smaller and the scale only varied 3 - 4 pounds. I think it took a while for my body to get into a rhythm.

You can do it - don't let the scale get you down. Look at your long range goal and the weight that you have gained might come off quicker than you think once you get back on track. Best of luck!!
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Bdaustin7!

I had real difficulties getting it to 'stick' as well. Day 5 was my breaking point. I suspect I wasn't getting enough fat in my diet and that was making it harder than it needed to be.

Having said this, I am now 2.5+ yrs. of solid, consistent low carb eating and I attribute a lot of that success to having this support system (LCFs).

Lean on us - we all want to see your succeed but even if you stumble, we are here to cheer you on.

Last edited by clackley; 04-21-2012 at 05:38 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/150/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've been around the boards for over eight years. For me, knowledge is power. I've read and studied everything about low carb nutrition I could get my hands on. Understanding WHY it's so important to take care of my body this way has made it easier to turn my nose up at foods that aren't good for me.

There are some wonderful authors who can explain things in a way that makes it easy to understand. If you haven't read Gary Tabues yet, get to the library and check out Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It. Google Dr. Michael Eades' blog. He's got so many eye-opening posts on various health subjects and studies, and is an excellent writer (and really funny sometimes). Check out Dana Carpender's blog Hold the Toast. There is a wealth of good information out there that will help you get better and better at low carbing and sticking with it. If you fall off the wagon, get up and try again. As long as you keep trying, you're never a failure! Hugs to you.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AllMyPonies
Stats: Start 3/23-235/226.6/160
WOE: DANDR Induction, work out EVERY DAY!
Start Date: It's now or never...
You're not alone! I've started several times, only to fall off the wagon a few weeks in. This time, though, it's for real. And the first time, I lost 50 lbs. but gained it all back over the years.

You just have to work at it. Nothing worth having is really easy, especially when it comes to breaking bad eating habits! I find that looking at inspirational websites help, find them on pinterest. Also, trying on too-small clothes that haven't fit in a long time, and noticing the difference each week, that's great inspiration for me!

Hang in there - you can do it!!!
AllMyPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
First, remember that we can't make you do anything. The will power has to come from you. There has to be that "light switch" moment that we hear and talk so often about, where suddenly your desire to improve yourself "clicks" in your head. Trust me, it took years to get to that point mentally. I failed, "dieting" multiple times before I finally decided to stop doing things halfway and beat the hold that food had on my lifestyle and happiness.

Make yourself accountable for your successes--and at the same time--your failures. I recommend keeping a food log. I use Livestrong's MyPlate; I write down everything I eat so I can keep track of my carb counts (and calories too, but that may not be in your plan right now).

Think about how good you felt when you saw that weight come off--mentally and physically. I can't even begin to describe how much better I feel now that I've shed a majority of the weight I was carrying. My body feels so light now. Every step is a pleasure rather than a painful experience due to creaky knees tasked with carrying too much weight atop them. Buying clothing isn't something that fulfills the task of, "Hmm, what will cover up these fat rolls the best?" now. Today, clothing means, "Hmm, I wonder which of these outfits best expresses the happy, transformed person I am?"

I guess what I'm saying is that the rewards of losing weight are both physical and mental and have almost entirely changed who I am as a person. My self confidence soars now. I'm happy. I'm fit. I eat AMAZING, delicious food. I love low carb. And so should you.

You can do it. <3
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Your body and mind are fighting against you right now...you were doing well and fell off the wagon so like any other addict you will have to go thru withdrawal again. It has been stated that carbs activate the same pleasure zone in the brain that drugs do creating a high. So by going off lower carb you are now chasing the proverbial dragon and will need carbs and sugar to keep feeling good. So that being said as limetwist stated above you have to have that light bulb moment where you decide you need to be in control and not the food be in control of you, which it is right now...Take control of you and get back on the wagon...you will feel empowered and in control of your mind and body. Don't let the carbs control you...YOU CONTROL THE CARBS.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

wow, thats a great quote: " Don't let the carbs control you...YOU CONTROL THE CARBS." thanks so much!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
Each person has to find their 'motivator'. For me, it's my health (diabetes) and the knowledge that if I didn't quit screwing around, I was in danger of diabetic neuropathies, heart disease, etc. I really was pushing the envelope. I did enough low carb days to keep my weight somewhat consistent for awhile, but then I ended up putting on the 26 pounds I'd taken off over the previous year...but my blood sugar levels were still very high due to the 'off' days.

Some people do well by logging everything they eat. For awhile I did that but found it still emphasized food too much for me. Now I just pay attention to each meal and stick within my guidelines.

Some people say they do well if they have a cheat day. Not me...one taste of those carbs...even a bite...and I'm off and running.

Some people count every single carb, fat and protein. Again, I just stick within my guidelines now because doing otherwise keeps food too much in the front of my thoughts. I don't want to think about it.

At the end of the day, when you get the urge to stray into the wrong foods, you just need to put it down and step away. I try to avoid those situations. My only concession to making substitute foods is my revolution rolls so I can have a 'sandwich' but I limit them to no more than once a week as well. I don't bake anymore and I stop justifying why I should (my husband and son love my baking) because they both could stand to lose a few pounds too.

You can do it. You just need to make that decision and then 'DO'.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

[QUOTE=clackley;15598439] Bdaustin7!

I had real difficulties getting it to 'stick' as well. Day 5 was my breaking point. I suspect I wasn't getting enough fat in my diet and that was making it harder than it needed to be.

Having said this, I am now 2.5+ yrs. of solid, consistent low carb eating and I attribute a lot of that success to having this support system (LCFs).

Lean on us - we all want to see your succeed but even if you stumble, we are here to cheer you on.[/QUOTE

thank you! i am blessed to have a great resource like this. I will keep reading and maybe sart a diary on here as to the progress?

seriously, way to go on the 2/5 years of consistant low carb eating! you are my inspiration!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Some people say they do well if they have a cheat day. Not me...one taste of those carbs...even a bite...and I'm off and running.

Some people count every single carb, fat and protein. Again, I just stick within my guidelines now because doing otherwise keeps food too much in the front of my thoughts. I don't want to think about it.

At the end of the day, when you get the urge to stray into the wrong foods, you just need to put it down and step away. I try to avoid those situations. My only concession to making substitute foods is my revolution rolls so I can have a 'sandwich' but I limit them to no more than once a week as well. I don't bake anymore and I stop justifying why I should (my husband and son love my baking) because they both could stand to lose a few pounds too.

You can do it. You just need to make that decision and then 'DO'.

I am the same way!!! I cannot have a "cheat" meal. it throws it ALL off and I just want more and more carbs. it really is an addiction!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Your body and mind are fighting against you right now...you were doing well and fell off the wagon so like any other addict you will have to go thru withdrawal again. It has been stated that carbs activate the same pleasure zone in the brain that drugs do creating a high. So by going off lower carb you are now chasing the proverbial dragon and will need carbs and sugar to keep feeling good. So that being said as limetwist stated above you have to have that light bulb moment where you decide you need to be in control and not the food be in control of you, which it is right now...Take control of you and get back on the wagon...you will feel empowered and in control of your mind and body. Don't let the carbs control you...YOU CONTROL THE CARBS.
yes mama- it is like an addiction. I always crave carbs after a long and stressful day too. And it doesnt fix anything. It taste good but then i feel bloated. I mean, when I cut out carbs just for those 2 weeks, i looked so much leaner because I wasn't all bloated!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb

When I restarted New Years Eve I can't tell you how many times before I had tried. I had gained back up to 176 of my former 226 and was not going to gain anymore - this time I took the advice of someone on the board who posted take it one meal at a time, if you mess up, get right back on track your next meal.
In my other tries I would never last more than 3 or 4 days. Now I have almost 4 full months in with no cheats and am almost 30 lbs down.

What is different this time is my attitude instead of focusing on what I couldn't have - I am focused on what I can have and how good it tastes and that I really like what I eat, how I feel and how I look. I visit this board every single day for ideas, advice and inspiration. I know coming here has played a big part in my success, I think it would do the same for you.
If you look at it one meal at a time, one day at a time, pretty soon they all add up into weeks and then months. Small goals not big ones!

Good luck - you can do it!!!

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzii911
Stats: 140/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 8/19/2013
fishing for encouragment...

Hi all -

I am very new to here and am desperately seeking advice and encouragement to stick to this way of eating. A little back ground on me - I am one of those people who has always eaten like a large man and never had to be concerned about weight. NEVER. Even after having 3 children I had abs.. I didn't really work for them - I just had them. You can go ahead and hate, I hate the old me too. That body has been gone for about a year and I want her back! Now, I believe I still have abs, they are just under this layer of fluff... I run, I bike, I try to eat healthy and smaller portions but nothing has worked... As of Monday I started eating low carb... Now potato, pasta, rice, and most noticeably, no wine! I need everyone to understand how serious this is for me, I am a Cajun girl!! No rice and no wine?! I haven't killed anyone yet - but here I am on day four and I am feeling weak. I want to cave in!! I feel like if I see any type of progress it will help fight that urge to cave. When did you all start to see results? I am feeling like such a failure that I am already having the desire to quit after only 4 days!!! Help!!!

Liz
Lizzii911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzii911 View Post
Hi all -

I am very new to here and am desperately seeking advice and encouragement to stick to this way of eating. A little back ground on me - I am one of those people who has always eaten like a large man and never had to be concerned about weight. NEVER. Even after having 3 children I had abs.. I didn't really work for them - I just had them. You can go ahead and hate, I hate the old me too. That body has been gone for about a year and I want her back! Now, I believe I still have abs, they are just under this layer of fluff... I run, I bike, I try to eat healthy and smaller portions but nothing has worked... As of Monday I started eating low carb... Now potato, pasta, rice, and most noticeably, no wine! I need everyone to understand how serious this is for me, I am a Cajun girl!! No rice and no wine?! I haven't killed anyone yet - but here I am on day four and I am feeling weak. I want to cave in!! I feel like if I see any type of progress it will help fight that urge to cave. When did you all start to see results? I am feeling like such a failure that I am already having the desire to quit after only 4 days!!! Help!!!

Liz
Stick with it! It takes a week or two for your body to detox and adjust to the new way of eating. You will start to feel better and that is a great motivator. I lost my distended, bloated tummy about the first week and it improved after that and I almost cried with relief. It is so worth sticking to it.
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
I've been doing low carb (less than 25gm per day) without even one cheat since January 1. Not typical for my last attempts at low carb, even though I was lucky not to ever regain what I'd taken off. What's different this time? My attitude towards the carbs. I finally realized that I am a carb *addict*.

They aren't something I'm giving up temporarily. Like the alcoholic or drug addict, they have to be gone for good. There's no such thing as "just one bite" just as there's no such thing as 'just one drink' for the alcoholic.

I know some people disagree with me on this but I treat my addiction like alcoholics treat theirs. I have a number of alcoholics on my step-dad's side of the family and the ones who have been most successful at controlling their addiction without relapses are those who do not permit it in their home and their spouses support them in this. They have no problem going out to places with alcohol (businesses or private homes) and being in their friend's presence while they drink...but not in their home.

I'm fortunate that my husband understands and supports me enough to do the same thing with our home. The only carbs you'll find here are vegie and fruit carbs. I have no problem avoiding the fruit carbs (they don't call to me like the grains and starches) and he enjoys them so that's my one concession. He eats what he wants away from home and we go out once or twice a week for dinner and he'll order carbs with his dinner...but not at home.

We do what we have to do...and we do what we need to do. In the end it still comes down to willpower to *choose* to eat the right things, but I think attitude goes a long way towards propping up that willpower.

One last thing I want to comment on because it's come up before and I don't want to single people out or start a war...but people have said (in response to no carbs being allowed in my home) that we "just have to learn to deal with them in our home" and that it's "unreasonable to expect our families to eat the way we do".

My response is that it is not 'unreasonable' for our family to eat the way we do. It's actually healthier than stuffing them full of carbs and no, we don't have to 'just learn to deal with it'. Addiction is a serious problem and I believe most loving spouses would support no alcohol in the home if their spouse was an alcoholic, so why is it too much to accept that no carbs in the home is the same thing? Most likely because too many people look at low carb as a temporary thing to lose weight but fully plan (maybe even just in their subconscious) to go back to a carbier diet when they're at goal...and if they aren't an 'addict', no problem...but try to understand the addict who has that carb on the shelf calling their name.

I've been carb free (and so has my home) for coming up on 8 months. Yet when I had flour in my home recently (only 2 cups I borrowed to make a raspberry cake with excess raspberries), my brain started heading down that "just one bite" won't hurt. The cake went out the door to work with my husband, but I've had to deal with the obsession for close to a week. Fortunately, I'm coming out the other side, but now I know what will happen if I bring that stuff back in on a regular basis.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twinzie02
Stats: 241/234/150
Start Date: August 20,2013 Restart
I just came back after several years off plan. I have gained it all back. But I was in denial and refused to acknowledge that it had got that bad.

I had lost about 65lbs the last time I was on plan. I can share some ah ha helpful tips. First of all being a woman we all seem to store water like a camel. So I would drink a whole glass of water with every meal and sip all day. At bedtime I would put a large glass of chilled water next to the bed and every time I woke up I would take a big swig of water. I hated to get up to go to the bathroom so often, but it seemed to help flush away those fats. Also during time of month (TOM) I would drink even more water than usual. It would help give me that Whoohoo drop after TOM was over.

I kept those little laughing cow cheeses in the fridge at work for a quick little pick me up snack. I had sugar free jello with a dollop of whipped cream on top. I cooked on the weekends to provide meal selections for the week so I wouldn't be tempted to go to a fast food restaurant nearby.

Don't give up. You can do it!!! Your goal is within reach. I have a long way to go once again, but I am motivated. We can do it together!!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Start Date: April 2014
@Liz. You may not be eating enough calories, especially fat calories. Also, try to get a lot of salt in your diet. A lot of people drink 1-2 cups of broth when starting a LC diet.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 7-25-13
The only way I can stick to low carb is to have pre cooked food in the fridge ready to grab when I run out the door. I have an even harder delima becuase I travel for a living and stay in hotels most of the week and eat out a lot. Typically on Sundays, I will cook meats and meals and have them stored in tupperware containers ready to go... that along with portioned salads in containers. If I need to heat something, I'll run into a convenience store that have microwaves. I have a small hand held cooler in my car and I stick those plastic frozen gels in there to stay cold. I also have snacks like beef jerkey, Quest bars in my car just in case I am totally out of food so I dont go thru the McDonalds drive thru cause thats all thats around.
When I eat out, its always a salad with grilled chicken. Its boring, but its the only thing I trust out there at restaurants. I once got a steak and it was loaded with salt..it was yucky!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Having a motivating reason to stay on track has been one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) thing for me. I've been on "diets" my entire life (since grade school) and even though I wanted to lose weight, it just wasn't enough to keep me at it long term. I really didn't have a choice about going lc due to health, so I had to make it work and I had to stick with it or face the dire consequences. It's been 1 1/2 years since starting and I haven't gone off plan at all. (knock on wood)

You're right that once you get through the craving period it gets easier, but there will always be temptations. Your reason to be lc has to be bigger than the temptation.

Don't let family and friends talk you into "just a taste" or "this won't hurt you", etc. If they know that you are serious about your woe, they will stop trying to undermine you.

Another thing that keeps me motivated is the fear of being addicted to carbs again. I haven't gone off plan partly because I know it would be just too easy to get sucked back into the carb world, and I don't know if I'd be able to get away from it a second time.

I also don't cook carbs. My family knows that if they want something carbarific that they need to cook it themselves.

Like others have said, figure out what you like to eat that is on your plan and make sure you have those foods available. If you're able to start weeding out some of the foods that aren't part of your plan from your pantry, fridge and freezer, do it. I've finally gone through my stuff and have a huge box of carby stuff that I'm giving to friends this weekend. I won't ever use them and I don't need them sitting around.

Make a short list of meals you can put together quickly and easily with foods you always have on hand. That way you won't get caught off guard starving and ready to grab anything available.

I keep a couple of the Atkins frozen dinners in my freezer for times when I haven't planned anything for lunch at work. I can just heat them up quickly in the micro, add a little additional fat and I'm good to go. My favorite is the Crustless Chicken Pot Pie.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Gosh I wish I could make people understand that white-knuckle-dieting only gets you as far as the scene of the crash. Meaning...hello! Everyone? It's NOT sustainable! Eventually, your knuckles get tired and you lose your grip on reality and you stray. Yes, you stray.

Or at least 99.1% of you do. And then you're all like, "Mea culpa. I must confess! I'm so sorry, and sad! Why can't I do better? I KNOW what I NEED to do?"

And the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Really.

Truly.

That's exactly what happens.

So how do you change the reality and become part of that 0.09%?

Stay with me.

You must kill the black and white thinker within you.

Stick with me.

Kill them dead.

In return you must know that at every meal, you do what you can to maximize great choices...while following someone with a proven success...ie someone like Dr. Atkins, or Dr, Westman, or Drs. Phinney and Volek or Drs. Eades etc. And you shut the rest of us 6th hour quarterbacks the hell up. YOu follow the experts and you stick with it...through thick and thin. You break bad habits and resurrect new ones. And eventually you lose weight...and get healthy. And you ditch black and white thinking...forever...knowing that if you cave and have an off meal or snack it doesn't equate failure....

Go for it!!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: April 10 2014
1) Have the right food on hand. Buy different lc foods every week to keep it interesting
2) Eat only the most delicious things you love from lc legal foods, always get excited about your next meal
3) Give yourself non-food rewards for each full week you eat clean (a salon blow-out, a trashy magazine, a massage, whatever it is you like)
4) Get support from your family and friends if possible
5) Get on here every day (LCF has helped me establish a sense ofnormalcy about low-carbing, never mind the thoughtful and generous conversations/advice)
6) Keep a food journal: track your moods, satiety and physical well-being. This will not only help you understand which eating style/food is most successful for you personally, but it's also gratifying to see those "clean eating" entries pile up
7) Read, read, read everything you can about lc, so you can understand what's happening with your body and not get alarmed by certain changes. It's good to be connected to the science of the process
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Gosh I wish I could make people understand that white-knuckle-dieting only gets you as far as the scene of the crash. Meaning...hello! Everyone? It's NOT sustainable! Eventually, your knuckles get tired and you lose your grip on reality and you stray. Yes, you stray.

Or at least 99.1% of you do. And then you're all like, "Mea culpa. I must confess! I'm so sorry, and sad! Why can't I do better? I KNOW what I NEED to do?"

Really.

Truly.

Stay with me.

Stick with me.

Kill them dead.

In return you must know that at every meal, you do what you can to maximize great choices...while following someone with a proven success...ie someone like Dr. Atkins, or Dr, Westman, or Drs. Phinney and Volek or Drs. Eades etc. And you shut the rest of us 6th hour quarterbacks the hell up. YOu follow the experts and you stick with it...through thick and thin. You break bad habits and resurrect new ones. And eventually you lose weight...and get healthy. And you ditch black and white thinking...forever...knowing that if you cave and have an off meal or snack it doesn't equate failure....

Go for it!!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:

Really.

Truly.

Stay with me.

Stick with me.

Kill them dead.

Go for it!!!
Excellent advice.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skinni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzii911 View Post
I am feeling like such a failure that I am already having the desire to quit after only 4 days!!!
The very beginning is the hardest. It's normal to feel this way on Day 4, as the liver is depleted of glycogen and has to figure out that it needs to start burning fat now. (And the way to convince it is to have plenty of fat in your diet.)

You still here, Liz? This was your only post, from four days ago.
skinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/144.5/120-130
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: July1,2013
The last time that I had carbs, as in wheat, sugar and junk food was on June 30. I don't know what is happening this time around but I do not crave any high carb foods. In the past I would give up the same afternoon that I would start my diet. This time I don't think of it as a diet. Now I think of it as my journey to health. I do not count carbs as I basically have the same everyday, a salad with my protein, lettuce, tomato, cucumber for lunch. Supper, I usually make a gourmet meal, protein, vegetables and a small salad of just lettuce. I dress my salads with olive oil and wine vinegar as Balsamic has sugar added. I try not to have fruits everyday, I go 4 days no fruits, one day with two fruits,2 different kind of berries and maybe 10 almonds. As I am a picker, on my fruit days I put the amount of fruits and almonds that I am allowed in a bowl and every time I feel the erg to pick I pick from that bowl. I also love something with my afternoon tea so I make a marble loaf made with almond flour and have one small little sliver, only 2 carbs per slice but not everyday just on days when I am more hungry. We eat out about twice a wk but I make healthy choices, there is always something that I can eat. This way of eating has kept me satisfied and my weight loss has been steady. I will allow my body to decide how much it wants to release so this way I know that it will stay off.

I guess everyone must find what works for them. But never give up.

My motto, "When in doubt, chicken out". This way you know you are not having high carb foods.

Good luck to everyone
Romy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Hard to add much to the good ideas here.
For me, the best things is not to have/bring trigger foods into the house.
And be prepared as best I can for out of house meals, especially social events.
I agree so much with Amiel's post about the similarity (for some of us) with alcoholism.
Also to understand that we are human/not perfect and are likely to stumble. The thing is to forgive ourselves and get right back up.
There are so many different patterns among us. Fascinating reading.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Don't let the carbs control you...YOU CONTROL THE CARBS.
I like this, too!
And I do this, as much as possible...

That said:

Quote:
Gosh I wish I could make people understand that white-knuckle-dieting only gets you as far as the scene of the crash. Meaning...hello! Everyone? It's NOT sustainable!
Eventually, your knuckles get tired and you lose your grip on reality and you stray. Yes, you stray

In return you must know that at every meal, you do what you can to maximize great choices...

And you ditch black and white thinking...forever...knowing that if you cave and have an off meal or snack it doesn't equate failure....
Excellent post!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Will power" has no place in my way of eating.
It's all about CHOICES...Making the best possible choices, every time I eat!

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote