LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
Carbs in tums, gaviscon, peptol bismol

Ughhhhhhhh I already know I'm way over my limit for today because of ANNOYING HEARTBURN !! I get it really bad and Allllllways at the worst possible times so I've had three big tums two huge gulps of gaviscon, and two peptol bismol tablets and I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF TO DO TODAY !! I'm studying bio and chem and have to work and change the entire promotion in my store tonight so I HAVE to feel better NOEWWWWWWW!!!!!
How annoying is it that there are carbs. In everythinggggggggg and I just need to be okkkkkkkkkkk
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
1. Don't worry about the carbs in those when you NEED to take them, but they are not great for heartburn, because they (especially tums) have "rebound" heartburn. You get immediate relief and then you get it back, worse. If you are "studying bio and chem" you can do a search for articles on GERD and calcium carbonate and see for yourself. A short term course of PPI's will have better results.

2. WHY are you getting the heartburn? I know there's a lot of stress, but it's not normal. Especially on low carb--for many people low carbing eliminates heartburn and GERD. You should see a doctor and be tested for H-pylori, among other things.

3. My esophagus was so destroyed that low carbing alone did not do it for me--but eliminating grains did. Consider that, it really makes a difference. Getting your gut "flora" in good shape by eating probiotics is helpful as well.

4. Mine seems to be triggered by certain foods. I love dairy, but dairy, especially later in the day, does it to me every time. So I have to avoid dairy in the evenings. When you have enough going on with exams and work, you don't need the added stress of feeling rotten, so if you can identify what foods trigger it (I don't buy the CW that spicy and acidic foods, coffee and wine trigger it--WATER triggers heartburn for me), you can avoid them especially in times of high stress.

Hope you feel better soon. Good luck with your studying. My daughter is a molecular bio major heading for final exams too.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
(I don't buy the CW that spicy and acidic foods, coffee and wine trigger it--WATER triggers heartburn for me)
When I was pregnant, iceberg lettuce gave me heartburn.
  1. Carbs in meds that you need DON'T COUNT!
  2. If you have insurance, get seen. She's right... this isn't normal.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
Thanks you guys... Yress my gerd has definitely gotten better with low carb... I definitely don't get it as often but sometimes still do... Stress definitely doesn't help as well ... I might get checked if it keeps going on... It actually got better today when I got to work ... Unfortunately my boss threw a temper tantrum and I was already so " done" for the day that I just checked out while he was yelling.... It was nice to not take him so seriously because honestly he always yells about nothing ... So after the stomach ahe all day and bring extremely stressed... I just didn't care anymore and just nodded at whatever he was yelling about.., lol I guess god has a plan for everything