Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Percentages of carbs, fat, protein – grams, or calories?

So – when we're working out the ratios so we have lots of fat and not too much protein, are we measuring the grams we eat, or the calories? Obviously, at 9 calories per gram vs. 4 per gram, that can make a big difference in getting the right balance.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
I eat by macronutrient ratio.

As an example, I eat 61% fat, 31% protein, 8% carb.

As you know, carb and protein = 4 calories per gram while fat = 9 calories per gram.

So we need to know how many calories per day you intend to eat.

I eat 1240 calories per day, with the above ratio.

61% Fat - 84 grams of fat: 84 x 9 = 756
31% Protein - 96 grams of protein: 96 x 4 = 384
8 % carb - 25 grams of carb: 25 x 4 = 100

Total calories = 1240

You may need to adjust the ratio to you own needs. I would HIGHLY suggest you visit the Cron-O-Meter. It will figure all of this out for you and allow you to easily track your foods according to your preset ratio.

Last edited by Maria527; 04-15-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
For me I know were supposed to keep fat percentages up but I always average around 65% protein 25% fat and 10% carbseveryone is different though... When ever I try to switch it up I either feel deprived or go over...
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Thanks, maria and Dre! I love this place and was locked out too long! (Internet issues; I wasn't literally kicked out. )

maria, your calorie count seems so low! Obviously it works for you, of course, and we're all different, but I starved on that for months with zero weight loss success before coming here and discovering I'd need more. Do you have trouble limiting yourself to that amount, cravings, hungry before you should be, etc.? Or does it feel natural since you're so rigorous/consistent with your percentages?

Dre, I'm still not even close to figuring out my total daily calorie need, much less the percentages. As frustrating as it all is, I'm going to choose to enjoy the fact that the only way we can learn any of that is by eating, eating, eating! And what a fun way to learn!

Heading off to check out this Cron-O-Meter deal now.

Encouraging a food addict to "just have one treat, so you'll stay motivated and on track" is like encouraging an alcoholic to just have one drink so they won't fall off the wagon.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
maria, your calorie count seems so low! Obviously it works for you, of course, and we're all different, but I starved on that for months with zero weight loss success before coming here and discovering I'd need more. Do you have trouble limiting yourself to that amount, cravings, hungry before you should be, etc.? Or does it feel natural since you're so rigorous/consistent with your percentages?
I am fine all day, but do tend to want an extra something in the late evening (and often do have something), so I'm sure my actual calories are a bit more than this.

The Cron-O-Meter does recommend that number of calories to lose 1 lb per week at my current weight (~116). Since I'm already little, I do have to be careful on calories. But I'm not as concerned about weight right now as I am about body fat. I need to get consistent with weight training.

Dreday - How many calories do you tend to eat per day?
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
Thanks, maria and Dre! I love this place and was locked out too long! (Internet issues; I wasn't literally kicked out. )

Dre, I'm still not even close to figuring out my total daily calorie need, much less the percentages. As frustrating as it all is, I'm going to choose to enjoy the fact that the only way we can learn any of that is by eating, eating, eating! And what a fun way to learn!

Heading off to check out this Cron-O-Meter deal now.
^^ great attitude Hun!!! So true just experiment tO figure out what works for you.. A big thing for me was finding something a way I could live with.. Starvation diets always had a rebound effect for me and I'd always go crazy and eventually give up and go back to the carbs... This woe just feels so natural for me now good luck. And don't let the ups and downs through you ... Just know they're normal
Dredaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
I use both grams and calories, ultimately they serve the same purpose as long as you know the unit of measure.

On LC you look to limit carbs principaly, protein second and fat is unrestricted (in terms of insulin response).

I decided on a carb limit of 20g (Very Low, Induction level).
A protein limit of 1.3g per kg of body weight (the recommended ration here is between 0.8g and 1.8g on a sedentary to athletic scale. I'm quite active, but nowhere near an "athlete" and so selected a middle ground)
Fat makes up the remainder (whatever that is calculated as).

This allows me to calculate a target using my BMR as a baseline no. of calories (in my case 2,081 kcal), the calculation runs like this:

18g carbs x 4 ckals = 73 ckals (3.5% of BMR ckals)
130g protein x 4 ckals = 520 ckals (25% of BMR ckals)
And so to balance with BMR
165g protein x 9 ckals = 1,488 ckals (71.5% of BMR ckals)

In terms of grams I have 314g per day which are split carbs 6%, prot 41% & fat 53%
In terms of ckals I have 2,081 per day which are split carbs 3.5%, prot 25% & fat 71.5%

Note the different percentage values for the same quantity of food, this is because grams are a straight sum of weight whereas calories are grams multiplied by (differing) energy densities. This is why when someone states they eat x% protein/fat/carb, it is important to know the unit of measure.

With the above baseline percentage, I can keep an eye on my intake and although I may under or over eat against the BMR I can still keep an eye on the percentages.

Here's this week so far for me (four days of data so far this week).

You can compare the percentages in the pie charts with the two lines of targets detailed above and they match quite closely. Coincidentaly this week I've also consumed just slightly under my BMR of calories.

John.

Last edited by silasgreenback; 04-17-2012 at 01:55 AM..
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nfowife
Stats: 169/157/140
WOE: Atkins-ish...Taubes really
Start Date: March 26 2012
I am tracking on ************.com (using the app on my phone). It's super easy to add and calculate because anything with a bar code can be scanned in so no searching.
The first few days I just ate as normal and tracked to see how I was doing. I was doing fine in terms of carbs (around 20/day) but my calories were way high. So then I tried to keep them down by reducing meal size and that has helped. I am just as satisfied with 2 eggs and 3 sausage links as I was with 3 eggs and 4 links. Also I am just starting this week to do protein smoothies for lunch which are lower in calories than the food I was eating and really do fill me up until dinner. Plus for me it is easier to do the smoothie for lunch than to cook.
I have lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks which I wasn't thrilled about (though of course it's better than nothing!). So right now I am trying to keep my calories around 1500 (I'm 5'3" and currently 165) and see if that helps the weight come off a bit easier.
My percentages are usually around 70-75%fat, 20-25% protein and 5% carbs. It's all very easily tracked on the *** app.
nfowife is offline   Reply With Quote