Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: breadaddict
Low carb foods that help nausea?

I have been sick and nauseous for about a week now, and am finding it hard to stomach healthy, low-carb foods. I look at my favorite vegetables even and do not have the appetite to eat them. This led to me going off the wagon just to get some food in my stomach that did not make me feel ill I actually still felt sick afterwards, anyways, but at least got the food down.

What low-carb foods has everyone had success eating when ill and nauseous? I am not going to get into details on why I am ill, because that would be an entire post in itself Anyways, thanks for any suggestions.
breadaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
Chicken broth, its the only thing I ca think of and its saved me a few times when my tummy was upset. If you can handle it , a splash of cream adds a soothing touch.

Why are you feeling ill, is it a bug?

Hope you get better soon.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Can you cook some cauliflower or zucchini in chicken broth then puree it?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I have had recurrent UTIs for the past month and a half after not having any for years. I then had a bad reaction to an antibiotic which made me feel worse than the UTI even did. Yuck. Cipro is the devil!

I tried all the natural remedies I could (ACV, Vitamin C) before resorting to the antibiotics, too. I went through a large bottle of ACV even after the symptoms were first gone. This thing just kept coming back, so I finally took antibiotics. They took the infection away for about a week, but made me feel terrible in every other way. At least the infection was gone, right? Well, now it is back again! Argghh...... I feel like nothing is gonna get this thing to go away.

Last edited by breadaddict; 04-09-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
I second the chicken broth. And you can swirl a beaten egg in it to get some protein > egg drop soup.
Club soda is also good. Fizzy seems to sit better than plain water.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/245/160
WOE: No Snacking, Moderate Carbs
Start Date: Every Single Day For The Rest Of My Life
Sparkling water is often helpful for nausea. Hope you feel better soon!
FitMommyNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I KNOW how you feel. I too have been down the UTI reoccuring nightmare. I finally had to take a extended dose of a sulpha based drug and it did the job. For your sickness,I recomend all the clear water you can swallow.I am talking a gallon per day.Also you might try eating some carbmaster yogurt`s,make some soups,cream cheese,celery,sf popsicles,sf jello and puddings,eggs.Good luck. HTH.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitten1972
Stats: 135/131/105 5'0"
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 1/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
Chicken broth, its the only thing I ca think of and its saved me a few times when my tummy was upset. If you can handle it , a splash of cream adds a soothing touch.

Why are you feeling ill, is it a bug?

Hope you get better soon.
I agree.

I might also try a little bit of salty cheese. For me, that would be a couple thin slices of Asiago.
kitten1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Cream cheese.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
Start Date: ongoing
diet 7UP,sf jello.lots of water work for me ,when I am nauseated often
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /214.9/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
According to my pediatrician, not just 7-up, but actual COLA is beneficial for nausea. The pharmacy will likely have cola-syrup available for that purpose, though you may have to ask for help to find it. (It tends to be inconspicuous, and usually on a bottom shelf.)

Fennel tea is good for an upset stomach/nausea/gas, as well.

High-fat foods are generally NOT good for nausea.

When getting over anything that involved vomiting, my grandmother would first feed crackers/dry toast, then buttered toast, then rice pudding/custard.

Since custard is made from eggs, which are extremely easy to digest, this is what I ate last time I was feeling that way.

2.5 c Cream
3 eggs
1 TBS vanilla
Sweetner, equivalent to 1/2 c sugar. (I have pure stevia from Trader Joe's. It comes with a little scoop that's the equivalent of a teaspoon. 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon, and 4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup. So I did the math, and used 24 of the little scoops.)

Place all these items in the blender (sweetner first), and whizz thoroughly. Then pour into a well-greased pie plate and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. A knife inserted 1" from the edge should come out clean (though the rest of the custard may still look liquid.) Remove from oven, and THOROUGHLY CHILL in the fridge. (This is not NEARLY as good warm!!)

A few weeks ago, after a night of vomiting, I was able to make this for myself. It was easy to eat, and easy to keep down. Actually helped settle my stomach.

Hope you feel better soon!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
Scrambled eggs are what get me through my bouts with nausea!! Pure comfort food!! If that is all I am eating I will cook them in a fair amount of butter for the added fat and calories.

Hope you get better soon!!
jandjsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone for the help and warm wishes. It is funny, I am getting a craving for scrambled eggs today. Maybe my body is trying to tell me something. I will take all of your advice! Hopefully this bladder issue will end soon, too.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lwcrbldy
Stats: 5'1", 35yrs: 135/126/112
WOE: Atkins, Kekwick
Start Date: 9/2014
Been through that myself, and unfortunately I'm allergic to sulpha drugs so it was quite challenging. One product I really rely on now is d-mannose- and although it is a sugar I take 3grams every 4 hours for 3-5 days, only a small amount is actually absorbed by the body and it can be taken with your prescription antibiotics. I usually feel some relief within the first 24 hours. Drink plenty of water especially if taking d-mannose- there's some clinical evidence that d-mannose keeps e-coli bacteria from adhering to the bladder walls making them more easily flushed out when you go so drinking plenty of water is important for it to help.

As for foods, I always found I had severe cravings for sugar and carbs with uti's but it's important to stay low-carb- for the nausea I just don't eat solid food, but I do sip on chicken broth whenever I felt the least bit hungry. Also I stay away from caffeine, I found it increases the pain associated to an already irritated system.

Hope this helps!
Restart: 9/9/2014; Current: 126lbs
Goal: 110-112lbs!
lwcrbldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcrbldy View Post
Been through that myself, and unfortunately I'm allergic to sulpha drugs so it was quite challenging. One product I really rely on now is d-mannose- and although it is a sugar I take 3grams every 4 hours for 3-5 days, only a small amount is actually absorbed by the body and it can be taken with your prescription antibiotics. I usually feel some relief within the first 24 hours. Drink plenty of water especially if taking d-mannose- there's some clinical evidence that d-mannose keeps e-coli bacteria from adhering to the bladder walls making them more easily flushed out when you go so drinking plenty of water is important for it to help.

As for foods, I always found I had severe cravings for sugar and carbs with uti's but it's important to stay low-carb- for the nausea I just don't eat solid food, but I do sip on chicken broth whenever I felt the least bit hungry. Also I stay away from caffeine, I found it increases the pain associated to an already irritated system. Hope this helps!
It is funny you mentioning D-mannose, because I was just reading about that in a health forum. It sounds like a good option if this huge bottle of cranberry pills does not knock this out. I cannot take sulphas either, and just found out that the fluoroquinolone family, including cipro, has horrendous side effects and I am lucky that I am not experiencing more effects than I am from taking it. I read so many horror stories about cipro users on the Internet that I will never touch that family of meds again.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Last time I felt a UTI coming on, I made myself some cranberry juice, sugarfree, and drank it every hour or two. It DID work to get the UTI to stop in its tracks.

As for nausea, I was VERY nauseated Saturday - the only thing that sounded good was sparkling mineral water and I THOUGHT half a piece of sourdough toast and a cup of tea, but my body thought otherwise after I ate them!

I hope you feel better soon and that the UTI is gone for good ASAP.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Super Helpful thread for me....I take meds that make me nauseated if I don't eat a huge meal with them...normally I take them with lunch but if I don't eat enough I get sick...and have relied on Fresca & Popcorn to sooth the tummy....now that I am low carbing it, these tips are awesome.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Love Dottie's idea about cauliflower - it just tastes starchy, and that can help with nausea.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Egg drop soup

Sugar Free Jell-O
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Yogurt might be nice, and your poor gut would like the probiotics.

Greek yogurt, or if that's too fatty for your tummy right now, just whole milk yogurt would be okay.

I don't do well with eggs or veggies when I have tummy troubles. Broth with maybe a some tiny bits of well-cooked meat in it is about as much as I can handle to start with, followed by cottage cheese and/or yogurt, if the broth stays down .

Hope you feel better soon!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I had recurrent UTIs over the years. Antibiotics just didn't cut it! I went on a course of Uva Ursi in November 2010 and haven't had one since. (I even bought a few back up bottles as I was afraid of being without my "cure" in case they came back, but these bottles sit unused). Yes, it's an herbal, so proceed with caution and don't overdo it. But, it's the best thing I ever found for my nasty UTIs.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
When I get my induction flu nausea, I like to have broth, lots of water. Nothing else really... Anything else will make me feel sick.
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Anything with Ginger is a stomach soother. In fact, Mythbusters tested the Ginger capsule's efficacy, and it won! We keep Ginger capsules now for our carsick daughter and it works. It's also fairly effective for seasickness.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cbheart16
Stats: 140/125/120
WOE: High Protein/Moderate Carbs
Pickled ginger - yum!
cbheart16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
I KNOW how you feel. I too have been down the UTI reoccuring nightmare. I finally had to take a extended dose of a sulpha based drug and it did the job. For your sickness,I recomend all the clear water you can swallow.I am talking a gallon per day.Also you might try eating some carbmaster yogurt`s,make some soups,cream cheese,celery,sf popsicles,sf jello and puddings,eggs.Good luck. HTH.
I went through this as well. Had to do extended anti biotics for several months. That was many years ago. I haven't had one since then!

If you don't mind diet soda. Diet ginger ale really helps when my tummy is upset. Last year when I had my accident and was on heavy duty pain killers that caused extreme nausea, the ginger ale really helped. Let it get flat first before drinking.

Almonds also help when I just can't stomach to eat anything.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyLiz
Stats: pregnant
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: April 3, 2011
i drink diet ginger ale when nauseous...it really helps me! anything egg-related makes me feel worse.
AmyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Anything with Ginger is a stomach soother. In fact, Mythbusters tested the Ginger capsule's efficacy, and it won! We keep Ginger capsules now for our carsick daughter and it works. It's also fairly effective for seasickness.
This! When I was nauseated during chemo and radiation, I would make a ginger tea with just slices of ginger and filtered water and keep it heated on the stove. Not only did it make the house smell good, and I can hardly handle any smells but this didnt' bother me. It tasted so comforting and soothed my bad tummy and seared esophagus!

Sorry to hear of your UTI. I second bone broth with maybe either egg threads or zucchini or cauli blended in it. I could handle zucchini better than cauli when I was in treatment. Don't know why?

I also agree if you are nauseated from "induction" flu that sometimes it is good to get a pinch of NO Salt in your system with a pinch of sea salt in some organic low sodium broth or homemade bone broth and to maybe up your carbs a bit with things like squash and cauliflower!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
also peppermint tea....

i suppose peppermint anything. i always have a mint tea when i am nauseous or with the stomach bug. Best of luck. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote