LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliebean
Stats: 148/192/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
I hate water.

I'm an idiot, and I've been surviving on diet soda. Been a soda junkie pretty much all my life. I just cant stand the taste (or lack thereof) of water. Does it REALLY have an impact on weight loss and how the diet works?

I read the book years ago, I just don't remember, because I have the memory of a goldfish.
elliebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebean View Post
I'm an idiot, and I've been surviving on diet soda. Been a soda junkie pretty much all my life. I just cant stand the taste (or lack thereof) of water. Does it REALLY have an impact on weight loss and how the diet works?

I read the book years ago, I just don't remember, because I have the memory of a goldfish.
Don't know if it affects the weight loss- but I'm with you on the taste-or no taste- of water.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:

Don't lose sight of how diet soda can affect your health, it's not just about weight loss. I loved loved loved my Diet Pepsi, but gave it up, not because it impacted my weight, but because it impacted my health.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Girl
Stats: 174/153/151 - 5'7"
WOE: Low carb eating
Start Date: March 2012
I use to feel the same way but since I had started on IP in February and then moving to Atkins, I have had at least 8 - 8 oz. glasses a day and sometimes even 12. I definitely think that the water has played a big role in my weight loss and I also don't feel tired like I use to. I also see a huge difference in my skin. I never thought that I could get use to it......but it is true that the more you drink, the more that your body wants. I also think that the key to success is to pace yourself throughout the day.

I started limiting diet drinks to 1 a day (the ones with Splenda only) and added the Mio liquid flavoring to my water in order to get it down. I like the Mio flavorings since you can limit the amount that you put in each water bottle. It really helped me get more of my water in each day and then I slowly started just liking to drink plain water. I refuse to quit at this point.

Good luck!
Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Is it okay to add the flavor packets to water at least? The Crystal Light ones or anything? That is the ONLY way I can tolerate it. I want to be healthy but I just can't stand the thought of drinking so much water. I'm weird, I know.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i love water, but i drink less of it in the cold weather,

and gallons of it in the hot weather. no reason why u cannot sprinkle some lime juice into it (not a big lemon juice fan, ergo i do not push it). In any case, if u really cannot abide water, u should not be forced to drink it. I weaned myself off EXCESSIVE consumption of diet sodas, For what reason? I felt it was something i should do. Too many chemicals.Also, i thought that by doing so, it would cut my appetite. In my case, that did not happen. But why go back to 6-8 litres (or liters)a day? I consume no more than 2 oe 3% of my former intake on the average. If u are happy with your weight of weight loss, no need to make any drastic changes. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:

Float some mint leaves, cucumber or lemon slices in a pitcher of water. It makes a big difference. I can't drink city water so I haul a big jug of our spring water around with me all the time.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

Gallery: flatferenghi
Oh, i forgot....

i am doing fruit flavored teas lately and caffeine free (many flavors to choose from) the brand name is WISSOTZKY. Great hot or iced and plenty of flavonoids. if excessive caffeine is a concern, then please read labels. Not all of their teas are caffeine free. It is a great way to get your water in.I have not, nor will i ever eliminate coffee, but I have cut down considerably, which makes the one or two I DO drink all the more enjoyable. FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
If I may can I say, I don't hate water. In my case when I drink diet rite constantly I don't like water either, but my brain loves water. I have found that when I cut back I will drink it down like I have been in a desert for years. Once I asked why do I hate drinking water so much. I was told it is because the brain wants the caramel poison and it is saying more poison. I cut all coke out for several days and WOW I got thirsty, for water. To my surprise water taste sweet now! Not sweet like oh she is so sweet. No, I mean really sweet, like sugar sweet!
Just saying.
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i am doing fruit flavored teas lately and caffeine free (many flavors to choose from) the brand name is WISSOTZKY. Great hot or iced and plenty of flavonoids. if excessive caffeine is a concern, then please read labels. Not all of their teas are caffeine free. It is a great way to get your water in.I have not, nor will i ever eliminate coffee, but I have cut down considerably, which makes the one or two I DO drink all the more enjoyable. FF
I take a ton of caffeine everyday anyways. I have chronic daily headaches and nothing works, so I usually take a caffeine pill once or twice a day and that knocks them out. I know it's bad for me, but nothing else works.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: silasgreenback
Stats: 6' 5" - 249/201/200
WOE: LC, mainly VLC.
Start Date: Sept 2011
I cut my carbonated drinks from a very low amount to zero after watching Dr. Lustigs famous video.

However that has little bearing for the diet drinks which are sugar free. I don't drink them as (despite good evidence they are safe) I do distrust artificial sweeteners to a certain degree.

I drink water, sometimes water plus a cordial (sugar free or low sugar), coffee, tea and cocunut milk.

I don't think anyone would dispute that not drinking soda is probably better than drinking it. The sugar problem is well understood, but even the sugar free stuff is just a mixture of chemicals and water. Even if they are entirely safe chemicals, there is no benefit to drinking it, the best that can be said is that it's neutral.

With regards to adding flavour packets, I don't really know what they are. But I presume they will be similar in content to a diet soda.

Todays XKCD is somewhat relevant:

John.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I personally think it does effect weight loss. Put some lemon in it.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TraciLew
Stats: 210/208.5/145 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
I have found that when I cut back I will drink it down like I have been in a desert for years.
This! I do notice if I deprive myself (terrible word choice, I know) of Diet Dr. Pepper (my drug of choice) for a while, I find myself really thirsty, and all of a sudden, nothing tastes as good as water! I do add the flavor packets (Crystal Light/store brands), but wonder if it's any different than AS-filled diet drinks...
TraciLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, Ellie -

Of course the "best" thing to do is drink plain water, right? No chemicals, etc. But if you hate plain water, and won't drink it that way, why fight it? You need to stay hydrated some way. There are pros and cons of all the artificial sweeteners. I personally don't like aspartame (that's what Crystal Light uses 'cause it's CHEAPER than sucraose (Splenda). Have you tried the Mio flavor drops? They use sucralose and allow you to add the liquid to your water as strong or light as you prefer. You may try using them and cutting back to a light flavor as time goes on, if you're concerned about using AS, or if you find it affects your appetite or slows weight loss. I see Walmart also makes their own brand of Mio-like drops that are cheaper. Haven't tried them yet, but will when my current supply of Mio is used up. I currently have several flavors: peach iced tea (my favorite), berry pomagranite, and fruit punch. My kids love to take them to summer camp to flavor their waters. They think the drops taste much better, and are easier to use, than the powders.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sara7272
Stats: 269/242/160 5'4"-31yo
WOE: Low carb my own way, started at 280 in 9/2010
Start Date: Starting over.... 1/6/14
I'm not a big fan of water either, but I just consider it a necessary evil. I lose better when I keep my intake up, my skin looks better and I just feel better. Even though I hate chugging back 96oz a day, it's worth the end result. And half of those oz are with Crystal light usually and I see no difference, so I'd say if that'll get you to up your water intake, then do it!
Sara7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I used to do SCA. A bunch of us -- several hundred -- would be stuck out in the middle of nowhere, in the heat of the California summers (100+ is the norm), wearing FAR too many clothes. (Think Ren Faire...)

And drinking water.

Most of us were jonesing for a soda the entire weekend. Invariably, a group of us would stop off for fast food on the drive home, we'd stop for food, and order the sodas we'd been craving so bad.

Only, after 3-4 days with no carbonated beverages, we didn't have the taste for it anymore. The sodas tasted terrible, and we had to "get used to" them again.

Read the content list on a can of soda. Phosphoric acid? Really? That's GOT to be great for your teeth & esophogus... :/

Mind you, if I go too long without a soda, I DO still start craving it... I seem to be addicted to the fizz. Seltzer with something in it (Torani syrup, for example), will stave it off for a bit.

For your "flat" water, try making iced tea, and gradually making it weaker. Or addslices of cumber/lime/lemon to your water-pitcher. I don't like Crystal Lite, because again -- you're ingesting a ton of artificial chemicals. I haven't had the stuff since I was a kid... We drank it one summer, until my grandmother started getting pounding headaches from it.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
im EXACTLY the same way. i soda crack head. now im hooked on diet coke. and i hat diet soda. ive cut it in half but i still think its keeping me from losing/ketosis
makes me mad that i follow th rules so well and i let dcoke ruin it!!
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CanadaBoy29
I'm very fortunate that I love water. Long before I did any kind of diet or WOE I already drank lots of water. Unfortunately I also love Coke Zero (especially the cherry kind) but recently gave it up after all the talk here about artificial sweeteners/insulin (I drink coffee black and I still use Splenda in my tea, can't lose everything).

I know what you mean about the no taste though. Sometimes (especially first thing in the morning) I want a drink that tastes like something. But I'm strictly a water and coffee/tea guy now.
CanadaBoy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
I am a artificial sweetener aholic... I've learned that I can still get my water in and have my drug of choice ( which is currently ocean spray cran grape sf drink packets) I've tried before to quit all artificial sweeteners but I just let myself down because I feel so deprived and want to shoot myself. I still drink enough water by just chugging about three huge glasses before each meal. It actually keeps my sort of satisfied and I'm able to enjoy my meal more because my stomach is full. I then go on about my day with my flavored drinks diet soda , mio, or whatever. This works for me and actually I'm greatful for the flavored drinks... They help curve my sweet tooth and I feel like I'm getting a little treat everytime I take a sip. I know it's all chemicals and it's probably better to drink water etc. But I'm human and it's probably the only thing bad I injest lol so I don't feel guilty about it. Crystal light is very good and so is mio. Of course everyone's different and those who follow Atkins to a " T " would definitely tell you limit as to three a day. But if you're doing your own way and they don't hurt your weigt loss etc... Then so ahead and have them I say....
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBoy29 View Post
I'm very fortunate that I love water. Long before I did any kind of diet or WOE I already drank lots of water. Unfortunately I also love Coke Zero (especially the cherry kind) but recently gave it up after all the talk here about artificial sweeteners/insulin (I drink coffee black and I still use Splenda in my tea, can't lose everything).

I know what you mean about the no taste though. Sometimes (especially first thing in the morning) I want a drink that tastes like something. But I'm strictly a water and coffee/tea guy now.

Thanks again for the save from that carrot cake!!!

I have lost almost 2 pounds so far this week
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CanadaBoy29
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Thanks again for the save from that carrot cake!!!

I have lost almost 2 pounds so far this week
Hey, no problem! Good for you!
CanadaBoy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I was a huge diet coke drinker for years. From time to time I quit for several weeks, but always started back again. When I started the leptin reset in November, I quit all soft drinks and drank iced tea sweetened with stevia. Without even trying, I find that now I drink mostly water and iced tea only occasionally. Dangerous stuff in soft drinks.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
Start Date: 10/1/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Float some mint leaves, cucumber or lemon slices in a pitcher of water. It makes a big difference. I can't drink city water so I haul a big jug of our spring water around with me all the time.
The cafeteria at work just added a water bar: three giant glass jugs with spigots, one filled with cucumber slices & mint leaves, one with citrus slices and one with berries. I don't mind plain water but thought I'd try the cucumber one...OMG, wonderful!
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tortoise2
One compromise is to dilute diet soda 50% with water. A&W diet root beer has 0 calories and 0 carbs, but the dilution reduces aspartame and sodium.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I need to cut the soda out. Seriously... I have gained 2 lbs this week and been stuck here for days, and I'm hoping cutting it out will jump start me again. Not to mention that it's not healthy anyways. I can drink a 2 liter of soda a day.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
The cafeteria at work just added a water bar: three giant glass jugs with spigots, one filled with cucumber slices & mint leaves, one with citrus slices and one with berries. I don't mind plain water but thought I'd try the cucumber one...OMG, wonderful!
I looooooooooove cucumber water!
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
For billions of years, virtually all land based animals (humans included) have existed on water and most of those animals nothing but water. Until fairly recent evolutionary times, humans existed on nothing but water. It has a proven healthy track record.

If you hate water, it is simply a mental state that you have created for yourself. Nothing is healthier to drink.

IMHO people who do not drink water are doing themselves a great disservice.

Of course, there is an entire industry that tells you that you should be drinking something that you bought instead of what is good for you. While you are watching TV, your brain waves are in a hypnotic/drug-induced state and the power of post-hypnotic suggestion tells you do drink this other stuff that may not be good for you but is definitely good for the people who spend billions of dollars putting that suggestion in your brain.

The aspertame, coal tar dyes, sodium benzoate (which turns to benzine in your digestive tract), and other frankenfood items they put in commercial soft drinks are not proven to be healthy and are suspected to be very detrimental to your health, especially if consumed in excess - and if you don't drink water, you are probably consuming them to excess.

You are playing "Russian Roulette" by exclusively drinking franken-food drinks.

If you end up with terminal cancer or something just as deadly, it'll be too late to go back and un-do your addiction. You don't want to be lying on your death bed saying, "I wish I didn't eat/drink that crap".

So drink the things that humans have proven to be OK to drink, water (lots of it), tea, and coffee. You could also drink fruit juice, but that doesn't go well with low carb living.

Change your mindset, and start drinking water, whether you like it or not. In a few months you will probably grow to like it. I think I'll pour myself a 12 ounce glass of water right now.

Of course, that is advice from a health-conscious person - not a nutritionist - take it or leave it.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
thanks dad
we can say the same thing about the food that got us here, but we are here.
i use to drink water a lot pre lc
now i cant stand to drink it. need something strong to was the taste out of my mouth lol
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I still drink diet soda, lots of it.

But, I drink at least a gallon of water throughout the day and at least 60oz of black coffee (the combination keeps me flushed out and keeps water retention down).

I keep my soda consumption to the evening. I can easily drink a 2 liter of diet soda. It doesn't effect my weight loss, but this has been my routine forever.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sylverpenny
WOE: Modify LC
I'm a big pop fan. I love my DR Pepper and Root Beer. But I also love water. There is nothing like a large glass of ice water to quench your thirst. I use a 24 OZ. glass and it's always filled with ice and water. I'll drink about 4 of those a day. Sometimes I'll fill it up with ice tea and drink a couple of those a day. Water has always tasted so good me.

Penny
sylverpenny is offline   Reply With Quote