Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BgDogMom
Stats: 222/196/???
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Aug 1, 2013 ( restart for the last time)
Will Low carb work during menopause??

I've had success with LC before, but recently nada. Got into deep ketosis for over a week, ZERO weight loss nor inches. I'm 51 & smack dab in the middle of menopause & all it's fun symptom. My waistline has been non existent for the past 6 months. Ive put on 15lbs so quickly here lately my head is spinning . I really thought LC would be the answer, but now I'm discouraged! I walk 3 miles every evening & circuit weights twice a week. It's as if nothing I do helps.

Any advise or suggestions?
BgDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
BDM: It will work, but you have to watch everything..LC is the answer, but watch your portions..It is a whole different world.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Menopause stinks.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #4

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
It definitely will work. You have to be really dilligent as with any food plan at this stage of life. Also be aware that many medications, prescription and OTC, will cause weight gain. Ramping up the exercise when you get stuck will help--heavier weights, more sets, intervals, etc. Be careful to not let your calories drop too low in an effort to lose faster. You might look into calorie/carb cycling, but really a week is too soon to panic.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artsy897
Stats: 310/225/145
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: 8/2011
Have you had your thyroid checked?
I am in menopause and after many years of great weight gain and not being able to lose an ounce...between the low carb woe and the correct kind and amount of thyroid med. I am losing...and it feels like a miracle. Linda
artsy897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
Yes. It can! I highly recommend exercise and bio-identical HRT. And yes, have your thyroid checked!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I was just speaking to a woman on LC who is going through menopause and she pretty much said the above--lots of hormone imbalances. This does not sound like fun
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
Yeah it works for me...but sooo slow...exercise is essential....I hope to have some kind of a waist SOMETIME soon..I went off HRT last year...which is when the wt loss got REALLY slow...sigh...
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, BG: Long post, but here goes:

After I hit 50 a year and a half ago, I was right there with you. Gaining so much weight, especially around the abdomen, and smack dab in the middle of menopause. Reading Gary Taubes's "Why We Get Fat" was my lightbulb moment, and I knew that if I were going to enter this next stage of life healthier, I had to start NOW, or I'd end up even fatter, miserable, and poss. developing Type II diabetes like my mom. I started LC in Jan 2011, moving to moderate carb JUDDD in Nov, have now lost 36 lbs (I'm 5'1") and am 1 lb away from my goal. It is definitely do-able, but slower and harder, once you hit menopause - but, in my opinion, absolutely essential.

Of course we want to look good, but as you get older, good health becomes a more important goal, and if you can combine looking better w/good health, what could be better? Starting low carb immediately had a huge positive effect on my menopausal symptoms, my mood and my energy level. And as I began to lose weight, albeit slowly, I was convinced that my body needed to get in balance, not only w/the "female" hormones, but insulin in particular. I was fascinated w/Taubes's explanation of how insulin affects fat storage, and also how reduced estrogen in menopausal women causes fat to be deposited more in the abdominal area, as opposed to when we were younger and it ended up primarily on our butt and thighs (that's why men tend to collect fat around the middle).

As someone else mentioned, it couldn’t hurt to have your thyroid checked to make sure that’s not stalling you. I had my thyroid checked and it was normal, so then I made an appt w/a gynecologist who specializes in hormonal imbalances. After losing about half my weight, I started on a low dose estrogen patch that has done wonders for my hot flashes and mood. I know not all women are on-board with hormone replacement. For me, it works wonderfully. But in those post-menopausal months before starting the patch, just eliminating the junky carbs from my diet provided much relief in addition to weight loss. Exercise is helpful and definitely will help you tone up and feel good, but unless you’re hard-core training for many, many hours a day, it has little effect on weight loss.

I DO know what you're going through. You're at a critical juncture in your life and you need to decide how to proceed. It is REALLY HARD, at any point in your life, to make a drastic, life-long dietary change. But it is also worth it. Please stick with it – I bet you’ll see some losses soon, just maybe not as quickly as you’d like. Sure you can throw in the towel now, but where will that leave you in a few more years? If you’re like me, just heavier and more depressed and frustrated. It sucks, but our bodies after menopause just don’t respond quite like they used to. On that happy note, good luck and keep posting!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pony47
Stats: Highest 228 27 yrs ago/115 maintaining 5'6"
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: many times over 20 yrs/from size 24 to size 0
I did it and it worked and have maintained for about a year and a half. I do notice my stomach getting thicker, but no weight gain. I think in menopause I just had to be more fastidious because everything little thing would put some weight on.
Pony47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/255/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
It works if you do the work.
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I certainly hope so.. I am peri and I am NOT looking forward to it! I do think getting thyroid checked is key also.

I have been reading allot about Bio Identical and it is certainly the way I want to go.
I am going to be watching this thread!

Good luck to all of us.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I have found it MUCH harder to be successful now that I'm older, perimenopausal, and hypothryoid.

The last several times I've re-started, I'll drop some water weight the first week or so, then the weight loss stops. Then I give up and quit, eat a bunch of crap, and get even heavier. But I'm done with that cycle. I'm determined to make it work for me this time, and I'll just keep tweaking until I figure out what works.

I agree with what a lot of people have said on this thread - I'm going to have to be strict and get more into exercise (I am so impressed at your workout routine!). I figure I'll see how things go over the next couple of months, and if I still don't make progress I'll go back to my endocrinologist and see if there's anything he can do for me.

We can do it!

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My thyroid is good. I just need to take all this advice to heart! Portion control & really being diligent looks like the key. I am so tempted to look into HRT but I'm scared to death of the side effects they say it comes with.

Sad to hear at this stage exercise is pretty much just good for keeping fit rather than the cure all for weight loss. They say diet is 70%! Guess its hitting home that it's a true statement.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
My personal theory--you may need to shake things up and surprise your body a little more. Consider doing low carb with a JUDDD influence--vary the amounts of carbs and calories you consume each day, so your body doesn't know what's coming.

My personal experience (I've been menopausal for a full year this month) is that the menopausal body adapts quickly and easily to whatever you hand it. So if you do the exact same thing every day, your body is going to say "oh, ok--25 grams of carbs and 1500 calories a day. Sure, I can maintain on that!" Keep it guessing, throw in an extremely high calorie day, or a 500 calorie day, or both every week, and you'll keep it from adapting.

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
So here's my tale!

I've been doing Atkins going on 9 years now. NEVER had a problem maintaining - UNTIL menopause set in for good. I slowly crept UP and UP until I was up to 159.8; I had BEEN maintaining at about 135 for years.

So, last December, I started counting the calories too. It's not that difficult - use Calorie King online or something similar. I like CK because there are tons of restaurants and familiar grocery store items included in their database. I also use the USDA nutritional database at times when CK doesn't have enough info on specific things like various cuts of meat etc.

So, since Dec. 6, I am now back down to 142.5 and will continue til I get back to my 135 fighting weight.

Also invested in a heart rate monitor - it has a wristwatch/recorder and a chest belt/sending device. I find if I keep my heart rate in the "ideal" zone I do better. You don't have to exercise your butt off - just do it in the right range for 30 minutes a day and it really does the trick!

I am not on bio-identical HRT YET but I have a physical later this month and will probably get on it. Have already discussed with my MD and she says SHE is using it, and my DSis is too, so I think I'll give it a try. There are some annoying symptoms that I'd like to ditch!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
I just turned 50 and now have to watch portions to lose along with exercise. I have also found that eating lean(er) meats and lots of veggies to be more effective than rib-eyes unfortunately.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I started LC pre continued on through and have been finished w menopause for a few years now.
I reduced my protein consumption when teetering btw pre and full on meno and dropped weight so fast it made my head spin.

No meds....but the hot flashes were a bear. Oh, I meant power surges!!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDogMom View Post
I've had success with LC before, but recently nada. Got into deep ketosis for over a week, ZERO weight loss nor inches. I'm 51 & smack dab in the middle of menopause & all it's fun symptom. My waistline has been non existent for the past 6 months. Ive put on 15lbs so quickly here lately my head is spinning . I really thought LC would be the answer, but now I'm discouraged! I walk 3 miles every evening & circuit weights twice a week. It's as if nothing I do helps.

Any advise or suggestions?
I am 45 and I am not in menopause yet but I do see how the weight loss has been much slower than when I have done low carb when I was in my 20'a and 30's. I have the spare tire around my abdominal area and I am trying to get rid of it as much as I can before I get to menopause.
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Like Charski, I've been low carb for 9 years, though indulging in a little too much LC food for the last few. I never went back to eating sugar though. I'm going to be 51 soon and I haven't hit menopause yet. I only just started having peri symptoms in the last year or so, after I got a little too fat. I assumed the low carb eating was either delaying menopause or just making the symptoms a lot less noticeable. TOM still shows up like clockwork, though now it's every 21 days (for about 6 months now) instead of the 28 it used to be. All 4 of my sisters and my mother were peri-menopausal in their mid 40s, so it's odd that I wasn't.

I remember seeing a lot of posts here 9 years ago from women who had been in menopause and, after starting Atkins, their hot flashes and some other symptoms went away. I figured it was the hormonal changes from losing fat.

Last edited by NH_Free; 03-29-2012 at 08:16 AM..
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
Some people have good luck low carbing. I ate under 20 carbs for 4 months and lost almost nothing. I did a bit better after adding carbs.

I think a lot depends on how out of balance your hormones are and if your thyroid is affected. The whole endocrine system can get out of whack for some people in the menopause years.
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote