Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CelticFan
Stats: 140/126.6/118
WOE: JUDDD/1 day diet
Start Date: Feb. 2000
Bikini in 2 weeks - would you work out? Water gain?

I know long term working out is my best strategy to keep this weight off. My question is typically when doing low carb I lose faster without working out. I know most of that is water weight. When I start working out I tend to retain water at first. So my question for the workout experts or anyone who has a thought on this...if I need to loose a few pounds and be in a bikini in 2 weeks, should I work out or just rely on low carb induction?

Thoughts?
CelticFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/148.9/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Cardio is your friend. That's my experience.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Looking at your stats, you are pretty thin and almost to goal. I, personally, have good luck with working out and while I sometimes retain water, I think the benefit of toning up outweighs the retention. You retain water to help your muscles grow. I think it's a good thing and I would say that you should work out. I would do cardio, body weight exercises, and light-medium weights/lotsa reps. Depends on what you like.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
the water weight will adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticFan View Post
I know long term working out is my best strategy to keep this weight off. My question is typically when doing low carb I lose faster without working out. I know most of that is water weight. When I start working out I tend to retain water at first. So my question for the workout experts or anyone who has a thought on this...if I need to loose a few pounds and be in a bikini in 2 weeks, should I work out or just rely on low carb induction?

Thoughts?
I would keep calories lower while doing the low carb and do cardio with strength training. I do double cardio sessions sometimes. So before work I will do an A.M. cardio workout for 30 minutes and then after work do weights and another cardio session (like running, intervals on stairs, etc) for 30-45minutes. Then my calories are a little lower with lots of protein and lots of asparagus. The asparagus eliminates water. I don't do this all of the time but when I need to get real lean for something - I do.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

oh and I forgot...drink lots of water b/c that will make you NOT retain water. Sounds confusing but true. Adding lemon to your water will detox you too.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CelticFan
Stats: 140/126.6/118
WOE: JUDDD/1 day diet
Start Date: Feb. 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
oh and I forgot...drink lots of water b/c that will make you NOT retain water. Sounds confusing but true. Adding lemon to your water will detox you too.
Thanks for everyone's responses. I guess the answer is work out! Which I am secretly happy about because I like how it makes me feel. Afuentes, you said lower calories (you look great by the way) what would you consider low calorie?
CelticFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticFan View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses. I guess the answer is work out! Which I am secretly happy about because I like how it makes me feel. Afuentes, you said lower calories (you look great by the way) what would you consider low calorie?
I consider lower calorie anything from 1100-1300 depending on the person and their size. I don't recommend this for any length of time but for what you are wanting to achieve, it will be fine. I lean out for competitions (staying within a healthy weight off season) this way a few times a year.