Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Bikini in 2 weeks - would you work out? Water gain? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/763703-bikini-2-weeks-would-you-work-out-water-gain.html)

CelticFan 03-20-2012 10:43 AM

Bikini in 2 weeks - would you work out? Water gain?

I know long term working out is my best strategy to keep this weight off. My question is typically when doing low carb I lose faster without working out. I know most of that is water weight. When I start working out I tend to retain water at first. So my question for the workout experts or anyone who has a thought on this...if I need to loose a few pounds and be in a bikini in 2 weeks, should I work out or just rely on low carb induction?

Thoughts?

millergirl1976 03-20-2012 11:38 AM

Cardio is your friend. That's my experience.

DD80 03-20-2012 01:03 PM

Looking at your stats, you are pretty thin and almost to goal. I, personally, have good luck with working out and while I sometimes retain water, I think the benefit of toning up outweighs the retention. You retain water to help your muscles grow. I think it's a good thing and I would say that you should work out. I would do cardio, body weight exercises, and light-medium weights/lotsa reps. Depends on what you like.

afuentes 03-20-2012 01:59 PM

the water weight will adjust

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticFan (Post 15510995)
I know long term working out is my best strategy to keep this weight off. My question is typically when doing low carb I lose faster without working out. I know most of that is water weight. When I start working out I tend to retain water at first. So my question for the workout experts or anyone who has a thought on this...if I need to loose a few pounds and be in a bikini in 2 weeks, should I work out or just rely on low carb induction?

Thoughts?

I would keep calories lower while doing the low carb and do cardio with strength training. I do double cardio sessions sometimes. So before work I will do an A.M. cardio workout for 30 minutes and then after work do weights and another cardio session (like running, intervals on stairs, etc) for 30-45minutes. Then my calories are a little lower with lots of protein and lots of asparagus. The asparagus eliminates water. I don't do this all of the time but when I need to get real lean for something - I do.

afuentes 03-20-2012 02:01 PM

oh and I forgot...drink lots of water b/c that will make you NOT retain water. Sounds confusing but true. Adding lemon to your water will detox you too.

CelticFan 03-20-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afuentes (Post 15511660)
oh and I forgot...drink lots of water b/c that will make you NOT retain water. Sounds confusing but true. Adding lemon to your water will detox you too.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I guess the answer is work out! Which I am secretly happy about because I like how it makes me feel. Afuentes, you said lower calories (you look great by the way) what would you consider low calorie?

afuentes 03-20-2012 03:10 PM

thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticFan (Post 15511738)
Thanks for everyone's responses. I guess the answer is work out! Which I am secretly happy about because I like how it makes me feel. Afuentes, you said lower calories (you look great by the way) what would you consider low calorie?

I consider lower calorie anything from 1100-1300 depending on the person and their size. I don't recommend this for any length of time but for what you are wanting to achieve, it will be fine. I lean out for competitions (staying within a healthy weight off season) this way a few times a year.