Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jillykendal86
How about on oatmeal or other hot cereal (about a Tablespoon). and a teaspoonful in yoghurt is also good.
jillykendal86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanCA
Stats: 146/139/134.2 - 5'3", small frame, 60yrs
WOE: Inspired by Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat..."
Start Date: June 2012
I want to try it, but after seeing that it's heat producing (thermogenic?) I think I'll wait till morning coffee. I don't have any cream only sugar free Coffee-Mate French vanilla. Think that would be okay? I don't do dairy so I'll get a soy creamer, but I do t have it right now.
JanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #123
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I put it in my tea, and i just use a 1/2 pkg of splenda, no cream etc, and the coconut oil tastes fine.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
sauteeing veggies in coconut oil is yummy(cabbage,carrots,eggplants,mixed veggies,lentils and even nuts)
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i haven't read all the replies, but was wondering if you coconut experts think eating coconut butter provides the same benefits as using virgin CO? i MUCH prefer coconut butter. i know the actual oil content isn't as high, but the benefits would be the same, wouldn't they?

not in my coffee, just eating it.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monk
Stats: 224/221/145
WOE: Low Carb! <3
Start Date: (orig '06-264*'08-150) 02/18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanCA View Post
That sounds yummy! I can't do dairy, I wonder if soy milk would work. Or would it curdle or something?
Have you tried almond milk? or even coconut milk? YUM!!
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #127
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
i haven't read all the replies, but was wondering if you coconut experts think eating coconut butter provides the same benefits as using virgin CO? i MUCH prefer coconut butter. i know the actual oil content isn't as high, but the benefits would be the same, wouldn't they?

not in my coffee, just eating it.
In Bruce Fife's coconut book, he lists the amount of coconut you would need to eat in order to get the recommended amount of coconut oil. I do remember him stated that you need an entire can of the coconut milk (the ones you find in the Asian aisle at Walmart) daily to = the 3.5 TBL coconut oil recommended per day. I don't recall the amount needed for the butter. Maybe it is on his website? Just google to find him.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

OMG I tried a teaspoon split between two cups of coffee along with my SF French Vanilla Creamer and a Splenda... So good!!! And my lips feel great!!

I did try almond milk and didnt care for it, but now I know my reg creamer works I'll stick with that. I only use an infant spoon size for each cup. For 3 cups it only amounts to about 1/2 T.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
thanks, dawn! maybe i'll 'fortify' my butter with oil.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

What I do...
I drink two cups of coffee and put appx 1T in each. I start with 1/2 C of coffee and add the CO. Stir till mostly melted then use my frother to emulsify it. Then I add the rest of the coffee. It still gets a little oily, but it's much better than a big puddle. BTW I start wit half the cup so the frother doesn't make it overflow.

I use Jarrow Formula CO because it has no taste. It says "good for cooking" on the label. I usually get it at Sprouts, but I see they have it at Netrition.

Why do it?...
Because I need the fat in my diet. I don't get a lot ordinarily.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tweezybird
where would i look for coconut oil in the grocery?
tweezybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reta
Stats: 182.8 / 177.4 / 125
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Every morning
Will the louisiana brand work? It says it's all natural coconut oil but in the solid form. It says it's for cooking......
Reta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustMe2
How do you thaw your CO enough to get it out of the jar without putting it in the microwave?
JustMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezybird View Post
where would i look for coconut oil in the grocery?
It should be where the cooking oils are or on a designated health food aisle. I think the least expensive place to buy it is Amazon or netrition. You can get a 54 oz tub for about 25 bucks including shipping. Make sure you like it before you buy that much though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reta View Post
Will the louisiana brand work? It says it's all natural coconut oil but in the solid form. It says it's for cooking......
Yes. But. Personally I have found the extra virgin organic coconut oil to give better results. For example, I wash my hands far too often and have chronic dry hands. With EVCO my hands do not dry out like they do if I don't eat EVCO. When I use LouAnn my hands dry out. Weird but true. I use LouAnn for cooking and with my tooth paste. And occasionally, if I am between EVCO, I'll use it as a substitute for the organic. LouAnn has no flavor.

EVCO usually has a coconut taste and the intensity varies from brand to brand. My favorite is Nutiva. There is also a tasteless organic version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2 View Post
How do you thaw your CO enough to get it out of the jar without putting it in the microwave?
CO does not require refrigeration if it is pure CO. Jarrow says refrigerate after opening on the label but it is not needed. CO has a 2 year shelf life.

You can put the container in a bath of warm/hot water to soften it.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I recently discovered my love for coconut oil again.

The EVCO with the taste I use for:

my bulletproof coffee in the morning; it helps me get to lunchtime without having to prepare any breakfast.
I use it for oil pulling.
I use it for moisturising my face and hands and anywhere else that's dry.
I use it as medicine; when I feel under the weather, usually three TB spread throughout the day will stop me from getting whatever it was that was brewing.
Making lovely chocolatey, coconutty fatty delicious sweets.
Dishes that require a coconut flavour.

The expeller pressed, odourless coconut oil I use for:

cooking and shallow frying.

Other coconut products I occasionally use:

coconut butter
coconut flakes
dessicated coconut
coconut cream
coconut milk
coconut water (the organic, unsweetened kind)
coconut butter

It is so versatile, and such a great product, I think I use coconut in some form every day on and in my body. The dog loves it too!

I live in a fairly cold climate, so mine is always solid outside of the fridge. Maybe if I left it out in a sunny place in summer it would be liquid. Our house is quite cool. If I'd keep it in the fridge, I think it would be like concrete.

Anyway, coconut oil keeps for years, even outside of the fridge, whether it's liquid or solid.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Well, this is first day using coconut oil in coffee. I had 2 cups with 1 tsp of co in each. I used the spectrum brand- the only kind that I had. It wasn't bad at all. The only thing that concerns me is consuming all the calories since I am so short and a lot of people say that you have to watch carbs and calories when that is the case. Anyone else have this concern?
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Not counting the days that I take it as medicine, I actually use CO instead of other oils and fat I would use.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Well, this is first day using coconut oil in coffee. I had 2 cups with 1 tsp of co in each. I used the spectrum brand- the only kind that I had. It wasn't bad at all. The only thing that concerns me is consuming all the calories since I am so short and a lot of people say that you have to watch carbs and calories when that is the case. Anyone else have this concern?
One way or the other, the best thing to do with CO when you are first starting with it is to start with a small amount. CO can upset your stomach a little, even may you feel nauseous, if you go from zero to sixty all at once. That happened to me when I first started - I used a tbs in a cup. After that I worked up using a tsp for a few days, then 2, then a tbs and now two ounces in about 20oz of coffee.

I just work the calories into my daily plan.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Well, I also added a tsp of co to my scrambled egg, and I have to say that this is the best egg that I have had in a while. (Not overly fond of scrambled)

I really don't want to count calories along w/carbs, I was hoping that the fat would keep me satisfied and that I wouldn't eat as much-will have to keep close eye on that.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

One of the shocking things I realized when I was starting out was that even though I wasn't particularly hungry I was still eating. I was eating out of habit because it was noon or whatever. And, perhaps most importantly, I was eating defensively - what if I get hungry later??? I better eat now in case I am starving later. If you get a handle on those two things you'll have a much better chance of success at not counting calories while still losing weight.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Ok, so for 2 days, I have put 1/2 tsp in eac of my 2 cups of coffee ( originally, thought it was a tsp each), and used about 1 tsp in my scrambled eggs....I have not noticed a decrease in my appetite, is that normal? So now, I'm thinking that all I have done is to add extra calories and fat. Does this take a little time to get to that point? Should I increase the coconut oil?
And, so that I am truly honest, out of the last 3 days, 2 have been extremely (above and beyond normal for me) "carby"- could that be the problem?
One more note, I have been using the co to take off eye make up, cleanse face, and as a moisturizer, so far so could on that one. (My skin seems very sensitive to moisturizers). Thanks for any and all your thoughts on this.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Ok, so for 2 days, I have put 1/2 tsp in eac of my 2 cups of coffee ( originally, thought it was a tsp each), and used about 1 tsp in my scrambled eggs....I have not noticed a decrease in my appetite, is that normal? So now, I'm thinking that all I have done is to add extra calories and fat. Does this take a little time to get to that point? Should I increase the coconut oil?
I find that the best way to test something new is to add it to a meal plan that's already pretty stable. So when I tested CO, I made sure to eat my normal breakfast and lunch, and the CO was the only change. I found that without the CO, I got hungry about 12, and ravenous by 1. With the CO (I use a tablespoon in my coffee), I could go until 1 or 2 without thinking too much about lunch.

If your diet the last couple of days has been different than normal (you mention that it's a little more carby than you like), it may not be a good measure of hunger suppression.

I've also noted from reading on these boards that some people don't get the hunger suppression from higher fat that they do from higher protein. If you're one of these people, the higher fat may not be as helpful to you as the same amount of calories in something higher-protein. You'll need to continue your "experiment of one" to see how it works for you. I'd give it a week with the CO, though, to see if there's a real difference in satiation and hunger.

That being said, there may be other benefits from CO than just satiation. Some people find a measurable positive difference in inflammation, regularity, skin issues, and other health issues, as well as less hunger.

Personally, because I'm on low-calorie as well as lower-carb, the calories in CO can really blow my breakfast if I'm not careful. So I really only use CO in coffee 3-4 times a week (though I will cook with it when cooking stir-fries where the coconut scent works with the dish).