Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
I started using coconut oil for "regularity" issues as well. A couple of months into it, it hasn't done a darn thing for that issue However, it sure is delicious! I use 1/3 tablespoon for each cup of coffee, mixed with 1 tablespoon of HWC. Most of the recommendations I've seen are 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil daily, so you can just divide it by the # of cups of coffee you drink per day. Since I only drink 2-3 10oz cups per day, I split it up. If I drink no coffee, or just one mug per day, then I'll either use the coconut oil to cook, or eat it directly from the spoon. The *only* brand coconut oil I can tolerate directly from the spoon is Trader Joe's brand. The other brands gag me.

I don't think it makes much of a difference if you keep it on the shelf or in the refrigerator. I keep a jar at the office and we've been having very hot weather here in the midwest. I came into the office on Monday and the *entire* jar of coconut oil had gone from a solid to a complete liquid over the weekend. I just threw it in the fridge for a while until it became more of a mushy texture and then took it back out and put it on the shelf. Textures are an integral part of my food likes/dislikes so even though it tastes the same whether it is refrigerated or not, I need it to be mushy in order to not gag when I eat it.
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss View Post
A couple questions for yall. My CO doesnt seem to stay in a solid state once I bring it home. I put it in the pantry and by the end of the day its a liquid. Is this bad? Should I put it in the fridge? In the coffee how much oil am I wanting to add? I am really just looking for the benefit of being able to go to the bathroom as one poster listed.
Coconut oil is liquid at a certain temperature and solid if below that temp. I don't recall the exact temp #, but it is about 76 degrees or so. So therefore my coconut oil is liquid in the summertime and solid in the winter when I leave it out on my counter. And it doesn't go bad. I much prefer it when it is in a liquid form because it is much easier to get out. When it is solid and cold as in the fridge, you can bend spoons trying to chip it out. Keep it out!

Last edited by dawnyama; 07-03-2012 at 03:07 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
I started using coconut oil for "regularity" issues as well. A couple of months into it, it hasn't done a darn thing for that issue However, it sure is delicious! I use 1/3 tablespoon for each cup of coffee, mixed with 1 tablespoon of HWC. Most of the recommendations I've seen are 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil daily, so you can just divide it by the # of cups of coffee you drink per day. Since I only drink 2-3 10oz cups per day, I split it up. If I drink no coffee, or just one mug per day, then I'll either use the coconut oil to cook, or eat it directly from the spoon. The *only* brand coconut oil I can tolerate directly from the spoon is Trader Joe's brand. The other brands gag me.

I don't think it makes much of a difference if you keep it on the shelf or in the refrigerator. I keep a jar at the office and we've been having very hot weather here in the midwest. I came into the office on Monday and the *entire* jar of coconut oil had gone from a solid to a complete liquid over the weekend. I just threw it in the fridge for a while until it became more of a mushy texture and then took it back out and put it on the shelf. Textures are an integral part of my food likes/dislikes so even though it tastes the same whether it is refrigerated or not, I need it to be mushy in order to not gag when I eat it.
Were you using enough coconut oil? Reading the above I am guessing you are getting in only 1 TBL? Or am I looking at it wrong? I use 3 or 4 TBL per day and have no issues going to the bathroom. That and the coffee I drink are like magic! Sorry it didn't work for you. No need to keep in the fridge. It is liquid all the time in the tropics where it comes from and it lasts and lasts. I get the gagging, as I admit I have that tendency sometimes too. I don't know why, but it does happen once in a blue moon. I believe it can be because I might have gotten enough oil in from other sources and that TBL of coconut oil is just too much. Ah, no matter I still love it!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #94
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy623 View Post
The Let's Talk Coffee thread made me think about a question I have been wanting to ask you.....why do you or should you put coconut oil in your coffee. Over the years, I have read a couple threads on the topic but have forgot. I have a jar but have not used it in my coffee. I vaguely remember that one girl posted that she got off of a stall when she started using coconut oil. Please advise!
I don't use it in my coffee. I tried it but... no thanks.

There are countless other ways I prefer to use my CO & I prefer my coffee with only stevia. I realized my coffee is good enough that I don't need cream in it a few years ago.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Were you using enough coconut oil? Reading the above I am guessing you are getting in only 1 TBL? Or am I looking at it wrong? I use 3 or 4 TBL per day and have no issues going to the bathroom. That and the coffee I drink are like magic! Sorry it didn't work for you. No need to keep in the fridge. It is liquid all the time in the tropics where it comes from and it lasts and lasts. I get the gagging, as I admit I have that tendency sometimes too. I don't know why, but it does happen once in a blue moon. I believe it can be because I might have gotten enough oil in from other sources and that TBL of coconut oil is just too much. Ah, no matter I still love it!
Hey Dawn---i love the stuff to and eat at leas 3T a day, but still have bathroom issues, sometimes 2-3 days before i go, just got off a p2 round and just finished with p3, so i did get plenty of fat in p3, but have a heck of a time, anyhow, i thought i read where you at one time used psyllium husk from walmart, i purchased some, and it says to take 5 a day, is this right, please forgive me if i am mixing you up with someone else,but thought it was you----if it was did you take the 5 a day, thought that seemed like a lot

thanks
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
Hey Dawn---i love the stuff to and eat at leas 3T a day, but still have bathroom issues, sometimes 2-3 days before i go, just got off a p2 round and just finished with p3, so i did get plenty of fat in p3, but have a heck of a time, anyhow, i thought i read where you at one time used psyllium husk from walmart, i purchased some, and it says to take 5 a day, is this right, please forgive me if i am mixing you up with someone else,but thought it was you----if it was did you take the 5 a day, thought that seemed like a lot

thanks
I actually take 6 a day. All of them at night. I am in P2 right now and that isn't even helping I guess I really do need that fat in order to help that stuff. Oh, well P3 is not too far away. I can last til then.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Waterlilly
Stats: 170/170/135
WOE: WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
It does make an oil slick on top of your coffee but think of it as a lip conditioning treatment lol...
hahah! I think the same thing about coconut oil in coffee! It really does condition your lips. I take it in coffee but I've also used it to soften my hands. It really helps, both inside and out.

I'm going to have to try the pooch paw thing.
Waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
Hmmmm, ok, I think I may just try the coffee thing tomorrow. I'm a little apprehensive, but you guys convinced me. Maybe with HWC it could work. I want to use it more, but have a hard time figuring out how!
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
I only get 1 TBS in my coffee, but I ingest more through cooking and/or just eating it off the spoon. I easily get 3 TBS per day.
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I have been SUPER skeptical about putting it my coffee...actually the thought of it made me shudder. But after reading all the comments here, I will try it first thing on the 4th of July! Yay!
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
I only get 1 TBS in my coffee, but I ingest more through cooking and/or just eating it off the spoon. I easily get 3 TBS per day.
Ah, good
Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by August Moon View Post
I have been SUPER skeptical about putting it my coffee...actually the thought of it made me shudder. But after reading all the comments here, I will try it first thing on the 4th of July! Yay!
Have you seen the posts about people putting butter in their coffee
Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 145/ 127.5 (hit goal!!!!)
WOE: LC, 17.5 pounds gone! 10/1/12
Start Date: 6/18/2012
Drinking it right now for the first time! And you know what? Not bad at all! Just keep stirring! (I keep saying that in my head, like Dori in Finding Nemo "just keep swimming, just keep swimming") haha, can you tell I have kids?
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
Thanks for all the info! I had been wondering this same thing!
hippyatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BajaBreeze
Stats: 315/246/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2012
I've been adding about 1 tbsp. CO to a 20 oz. coffee. Once I got past the oily layer floating on top, I have been pleasantly surprised that I like it. It adds a nice subtle flavor.
BajaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
Hey all, new to the board but not to low carb =) Just started using coconut oil yesterday, and I mix it with hot water, cocoa powder, splenda and HWC...it's delicious! I suppose I will see if it helps with my bathroom issues...

Also wanted to comment because I see there are a lot of people from the Pittsburgh area. I myself live in Irwin =)
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2004
I just like a little at a time in my coffee or tea,but I drink enough of both to make sure I get lots of CO during the day. Right now,I am drinking a mug of dandelion root tea with a half tsp.of CO in it...I love this stuff
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Books and Cats
Stats: 257/187.2/150?
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 08/19/11 (low carb), 6/14-8/18 (low-cal)
I've never tried coconut oil in my coffee but that sounds good! Usually I either cook with it or eat it straight off the spoon as a "snack".
Books and Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i have it in my tea at least twice a day---i like a chai tea and add a little cream and the coconut oil, its my dessert for the day----good stuff
Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I actually take 6 a day. All of them at night. I am in P2 right now and that isn't even helping I guess I really do need that fat in order to help that stuff. Oh, well P3 is not too far away. I can last til then.
ok Dawn thanks, i am going to try the 5 tonight, i have been taking 2 in the afternoon, but i am going to increase it---will see what happens along with the coconut oil and other fats that i am having----it has to work----
Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Have you seen the posts about people putting butter in their coffee
OMG....no!

Okay, I tried it this morning. Not bad. Weird....but not bad. I'll do it again!

Last edited by August Moon; 07-04-2012 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanCA
Stats: 146/139/134.2 - 5'3", small frame, 60yrs
WOE: Inspired by Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat..."
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittee View Post
Hey all, new to the board but not to low carb =) Just started using coconut oil yesterday, and I mix it with hot water, cocoa powder, splenda and HWC...it's delicious! I suppose I will see if it helps with my bathroom issues...

Also wanted to comment because I see there are a lot of people from the Pittsburgh area. I myself live in Irwin =)
That sounds yummy! I can't do dairy, I wonder if soy milk would work. Or would it curdle or something?
JanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

You can buy soy or coconut creamer for coffee. I see it in little pint & half pint milk containers at the health food stores.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanCA
Stats: 146/139/134.2 - 5'3", small frame, 60yrs
WOE: Inspired by Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat..."
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
You can buy soy or coconut creamer for coffee. I see it in little pint & half pint milk containers at the health food stores.
Okay, thanks! They probably have it Sprouts, too.
JanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #115

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Stirring! LOL DGS always wants to stir my coffee! He knows! Hahaha!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #116
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Dr. Joseph Mercola: Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You

This was a really good article I read tonight on the benefits of using coconut oil. I'm sold on it now after hearing so many good things in these forums.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I even added a bit of coconut butter to my coffee. Mm, mm, good!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Dr. Joseph Mercola: Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You

This was a really good article I read tonight on the benefits of using coconut oil. I'm sold on it now after hearing so many good things in these forums.
another convert
Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #119

Quote:
Yesterday I even added a bit of coconut butter to my coffee. Mm, mm, good!
Never would have thought. I have heard of someone here adding cocoa butter to her coffee. Boy we have some very adventurous souls on here Just may have to try the coconut butter--I love it so
Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: corgimom
Stats: 142/140/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 09/02/2014
I'm just sipping my very first coffee with coconut oil and a splash of cream. Delicious! Never would have thought of it if I hadn't seen it here!
corgimom is offline   Reply With Quote