Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zeph14
Stats: 178/167/140
WOE: Atkins o
WOE is me...

I cannot figure out what WOE is going to work for me. Ive tried HCG several times and I just cant do it! I cannot handle 21+ days on so little food, I lose my mind and end up blowing it all the time....maybe I should try JUDDD but then the idea of counting calories kills me. I dont have the time for that! I like atkins cause I can eat until im full...but the weightloss is so slow, I mean im not lookin to lose 5lbs a week but even a 1 lb loss is hard to come by. I know weight loss is not easy...i just wish I could figure out what will work for my body and lifestyle....its so hard. im 170 again cause I blew it yesterday...horrible. I have onw month to lose at least 10 lbs and 3 months time to lose 35 total. Right now it looks like only HCG will produce that for me...WOE is me...ill be starving!

Please share what woe worked for you...and I need the real deal, what I mean with cheats and all...im not talking full blown binges but gaving extra protein sunflower seeds or whatever..cause those happen. Thanks
Zeph14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Have you read the Atkins book and have you done a strict induction...what were some of your menus if you did do induction ...high fat moderate protein seems to be the key on these boards...You don't have a lot to lose so no matter what you chose I think it will be slow going, but that is just what I hear from people who start out with only a relatively small amount to lose. From what I understand hcg is basically a low carb ladder climb after the first 5 weeks of 500 calories a day.
I love Atkins because I don't feel hungry and lost 25 pounds in 2 months but is was slow going after that and I was much more overweight to begin with than you are.
If you are really having a difficult time choosing you could read Dana Carpender's "How I Quit My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds" Itt offers a quick overview of many ways of eating and what she decided on.
Good luck with whatever you but in my opinion 35 pounds may be hard to lose in 3 months seeing as you are not so far from goal.
On a side note my sil did hcg doctor monitored and lost 25 pounds in 2 months...but she has the will power of a superhero...and she only wanted to lose the 25 so she is now maintaining eating foods much like myself...I don't know if she eats as high fat like Atkins or more south beach tho.
Good luck in what ever you do but don't set unrealistic goals...this is just setting yourself up for failure...let your body lose at it's own pace... you did not gain that 35 pounds in 3 months, I am guessing, so it may take a little longer to come off and stay off.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
You have 17 pounds to lose, so no matter what WOE you choose, your weight loss will not be super duper fast! You have to choose something you can live with, both in regards to food choices and lifestyle/time restrictions...this isn't a RACE to see how fast you can lose, and it is easy to lose sight of that.

If you can't stand starving of counting calories, isn't getting to goal eventually worth the wait, as opposed to starting a plan that you eventually give up on because it does not fit your life style?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I'm an Atkins for life gal- but its a lifestyle for me and not a method for quick weight loss. Only you can decide the path you should go, but I would advise not to set such strict limits on when the weight needs to be off.

Also, if you know you are prone to going over board with drastic calorie reduction. Why even put yourself through that torture? Even if you decide not to do Atkins, I would pick a plan that allows enough calories that will not have you starving which then causes you to go overboard with food.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Zeph, some of us find we have to keep a clean, very low carb food plan constantly, to avoid the carb triggers, etc. Others like a looser plan with more flexibility.

One of the very attractive plans with much flexibility is Eat Fat, Get Thin, by Barry Groves. There is an active, friendly support forum here at LCF. To me, that plan is attractive because it provides good nourishment, and leaves out the things which are known to cause health problems. There is a great variety of choice in what one eats.

If you'd like to go meat-and-egg, with a few condiments for interest, there are usually support thread for meat-and-eggers in Other Plans or Challenges. Some eat this way all the time, others just to lose weight more quickly. Plenty of us have meals of eggs only, or eggs and a bit of other protein, or meat and a tiny salad. It's simple, and doesn't require much food prep or tracking. Going really low carb makes it easy for some to avoid carb triggers, false appetite, etc., and stick with it to get to goal.

Just a couple of ideas, in case they appeal to you.

It took me a lot of adjusting, keeping track of how I did with those adjustments, to find a food plan that made me feel like smiling and gave me confidence in the nourishment.

I ended up with a combination based a good deal on the recommendations of Dr. Jan Kwasniewski and Dr. Richard Bernstein.

I like not having a worry somewhere in the back of my mind about what some food is going to do, after I've swallowed it. If I eat something more than my chosen portions, it is still something in my food plan. A few bites more of what I already eat isn't going to upset the apple cart, so to speak.

I wish you much joy experimenting, and success!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-11-2012 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: typing error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dredaye9
Stats: 171/156/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: August2014
I've tried HCG too and have returned to low carb because it is more manageable and realistic for me. I find HCG very restrictive and hard to maintain. Yea we all fall off the wagon from time to time but looking at it as a lifestyle has helped me so much. I get less tripped up on the individual days and look at the overall picture. I'm much more of a protein junkie than high fat. I do low carb my way and it has helped me reach my goal. I started at 171 two years ago and it has taken me two years to reach my goal. Actually my goal was 120 and now I'm like 115 so technically I've surpassed it. During this two years I've done many different diets including HCG . Low carb is the only thing that keeps me halfway sane around food ;/ hope that helps.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Well I think you could choose your ideal WOE by envisioning how you want to eat once you are in maintenance. So find a diet that will lead you closest to the one you want to and can eat for life to maintain. Of course there is minor loosen up in maintenance, but really lets face it, you need to make this WOE a way of life that is liveable and sustainable.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady View Post
Well I think you could choose your ideal WOE by envisioning how you want to eat once you are in maintenance. So find a diet that will lead you closest to the one you want to and can eat for life to maintain. Of course there is minor loosen up in maintenance, but really lets face it, you need to make this WOE a way of life that is liveable and sustainable.
Steady, I think that is an excellent point.

One day I woke up, and knew I wanted to be slender and live as a slender person lives. I just started eating the way I envisioned myself eating, being slender. Maintenance, for me, requires more diligence that being in "diet mode". Seems maintenance is as different for each of us. I've changed my food plan along the way, as I've learned more about nutrition, moods, hormones, blood sugar, neurotransmitters, etc., but that basic element you posted about remains the crux of what I have to do to be happily slender.

Thanks very much for posting this!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for responding...you are all right on. Ive been thinking at it and have decided to do a combination ot atkins and Juddd. Hcg is out of the question. These are the reasons why;
1. I love protein ( red meat, poultry, etc)
2. Fat although calorie dense give me the extra flavors I need to maje me feel satisfied with my meal.
3. Implementing the Juddd woe (ugh counting calories) temporarily may help bring about the weight loss im looking for.
4. I know low carb (atkins) is the woe that I will maintain on long term. To be honest the last time I did atkins I lost on induction and owl and then maintained my weight even with extra carbs here and there (bread, sweets).

I dont know if its just me but I need to set nearly impossible goals (35lbs in 3 monthsp) so that I cn stay focused and motivated.
Again that you for your help...my goal is to find a way of eating where I can enjoy all the foods I love in moderation and maintain a healthy weight. I refuse to live depriving myself of anything I love. That no way to live.

I can do this! Here goes...today is day 1 -up day atkins style
Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Zeph, I wish you success.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Will be looking for you over on JUDDD and "THE DARK SIDE"!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Zeph, I believe that once you know your food and quantities, you won't need to count.

I think many peop continue counting just to stay accounable. But I have studied nutrition and been on so many eating plans that I pretty much know what's in everything and only read the label if it is something new to me.

Just remember on JUDDD that you can follow any woe and that DD's are only a day away from an UD....not a big deal.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rosaphile
Stats: 250/175/140
WOE: Primal low-carb
Start Date: December 2011
Counting calories can be tedious in the beginning, but in my experience you quickly memorize the calories in all your favorite foods. And on JUDDD, you don't really have to count calories on up days, do you?
rosaphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaphile View Post
Counting calories can be tedious in the beginning, but in my experience you quickly memorize the calories in all your favorite foods. And on JUDDD, you don't really have to count calories on up days, do you?
Actually to answer that question .. do you have to count on up days.. the answer is YES.. both days are equally important.. you must not exceed the down days numbers and your body will "need" every calorie on your up day to refuel..If you dont count them you may find at least at first your not getting even close to your UD day number and that can cause it to either stall or not work. So if you try JUDDD please read all the info on the forum so you get the right advise.. And Beeb is an athority on this subject so pay close attention to her advise.. hugs~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone, so I got a bit behind on my lc juddd because of some work related issues...very stressful couple of days. Anywho ive worked out a schedule of eating so to speak to help me stay on plan. Basically I eat one small meal...about 200 cals or less if possible during the day usually consiating og broiled chicken and a veggie. that way I have more cals at night...im a big night time eater. Yesterday worked ou perfectly..im so busy at work I dont have the time to feel hungry and I was able to eat until I was full last night and I didnt need or want a snack late at night which is what usually happens if I spread out my food during the daylight hours. It was perfect. I didnt weigh yrsterday but im back down to 169.6 this morninh...not bad I know I was much heavier considering what I was eating last week and over the weekend...anyway thanks for reading
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Okaaaay, well on the JUDDD website it does not say that. "The Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ is divided into Up Days, when you are free to eat what you would like, and Down Days, when you monitor your caloric intake....The goal of Up Days is to feel satiated without intentionally overeating. Individuals on the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ have found that, despite restricting their calories on Down Days, they are no hungrier on Up Days than they would be if they were not on the diet, and in some cases they are less hungry. If you're not as hungry on Up Days, it's okay to eat less than your regular daily allowance."
So, according to the inventor of the diet..... you don't have to count calories on Up Days. He seems to be the highest authority on this, don't you think? I hope he doesn't contradict himself elsewhere!
159# goal - Go to Cedar Point and ride ALL the rollercoasters
140# goal - Finally take riding lessons

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Okaaaay, well on the JUDDD website it does not say that. "The Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ is divided into Up Days, when you are free to eat what you would like, and Down Days, when you monitor your caloric intake....The goal of Up Days is to feel satiated without intentionally overeating. Individuals on the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ have found that, despite restricting their calories on Down Days, they are no hungrier on Up Days than they would be if they were not on the diet, and in some cases they are less hungry. If you're not as hungry on Up Days, it's okay to eat less than your regular daily allowance."

So, according to the inventor of the diet..... you don't have to count calories on Up Days. He seems to be the highest authority on this, don't you think? I hope he doesn't contradict himself elsewhere!
i wish i had the answer to that post.. i will let the experts chime in.. i have been doing this for 2 weeks.. and when i had decided to not eat up to my number i was advised by the other memebers who are sucessfull doing this WOE that i reallly need to be mindfull of making sure i get as close to that number. just sharing what i was told..hope i didnt confuse any one..as i am by no means an athority on this subject YET!..lol i just know this... JUDDD works for me.
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:

In an ideal world that would hold true. And if you're able to eat to satisfaction without overeating, which he does say several times, then there's no need to count on UDs. The problem with that, IMO, is that most of us wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place if we were able to eat that way. We need to learn portion sizes and what "hunger" is rather than "desire."

Some people ARE able to do JUDDD without counting on their up days. Some count and go over some days and under some days, and that's okay too. Many of us need to count and monitor everything that goes into our mouths. I, for one, was given a 2345/469 calorie spread initially. I followed that religiously and lost well on that amount. If I didn't watch what I was eating on up days, I have no doubt I could get to 3500 calories on some days, just with picking calorie dense foods. My strategy is to eat fairly healthy, lowish calorie foods during the daytime, and then have a nice, hearty (sometimes healthy, sometimes not-so-healthy) dinner to fuel me through the next down day.

As I've lost, I've adjusted my UD calories down a little bit twice. Many never have to adjust, but I have/had a LOT to lose, so as my body adjusts, I'm adjusting my eating to reflect the changes. In 3 months on JUDDD, I have lost 35 lbs. To the OP, please don't think this is standard. Most people lose 1-2 lbs/week. I attribute my success to being VERY strict about UDs and DDs alike. I never feel deprived. I'm in total control of my food choices.

JUDDD is not a plan that works for everyone, though it does work for almost everyone, as long as you're willing to follow the calorie numbers. I am a JUDDDer for life and will never go back to Atkins, much as I loved it when it was working for me. Now I get to have a potato once in a while, and wine every other night, bread whenever I want it. When I was doing Atkins, I had that mentality where if I ate a potato, I had failed, and I might as well go off the deep end and eat a donut, then a bag of chips, then . . . well you know how it goes. I don't have that anymore. And I'm eternally thankful.

Hope this helps, for what it's worth. It's only my experience, and I can't speak for anyone else.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I'm always glad to see your posts, SDS! There is no one-size fits all woe, and JUDDD is no exception. I wish so much that it had worked for you, and I know you gave it a fair shot in the hopes that it would too. I'm glad your viewpoint is here - it's valuable and helpful, just like all your posts.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #20

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Actually, he kinda' does contradict himself. Or at least it's pretty easy to read his words and leap to the conclusion that Up Days can be Free-For-All days of no counting and all you can stuff in. LOL

You are correct that he does say ".....on Up Days you are free to eat what you would like....." but note that he said free to eat what you would like, not free to eat as much as you can! Big difference, and one that seems to be easy for people to misinterpret as permission to really eat without any limitations on quantity. *What you would like* means there are no food lists. No forbidden foods. No required foods. Etc. So he doesn't condone and give permission for us to overeat or eat *as much as we like* on Up Days.

The JUDDD calorie calculator lets a person figure what he calls their *Normal* calories for Up Days. It's even labeled with that term.. Normal. He goes on to say that on Up Days, we will eat our *Normal* calories. And then we will eat at a chosen low percentage of our Normal calories on our Down Days.

And he does, indeed, say that if we don't feel up to eating as much as our *normal* Up Day calories, it is fine not to eat up to our normal daily allowance. And occasionally that happens. Sometimes you're just not all that hungry. BUT, many have found that eating pretty close to that UD calorie number really does fuel you well for the following Down Day, and helps in some manner to rev up the metabolism. Don't know why that would be the case, but the nice spread between high UD calories and low DD calories seems to trigger something and promote better weight loss than just keeping all days down to low calories. Interesting observation from so many of us now. I know it would be individual, but for myself, I'd sure go with his calculator and trust the numbers to start.

Just wanted to clarify this a bit. I think many take that line about *eating anything* to mean they can *eat everything*
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I understand what you're saying, Pat. I actually read his recommendation to "eat what you like" to mean that one should eat to appetite. He goes on to talk about feeling satiated while not overeating, and seems to be saying if you're not hungry for food, don't force yourself to eat it. The overall jist seems to me that you should not have to count calories on Up days if you eat based on your appetite.

On the other hand, I know it is very difficult for some to truly eat to appetite, especially if they're eating those carbs that go down soooo easily! I'm sure it would be best in those cases to count calories at least some of the time to keep tabs on oneself.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #22

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
I understand what you're saying, Pat. I actually read his recommendation to "eat what you like" to mean that one should eat to appetite. He goes on to talk about feeling satiated while not overeating, and seems to be saying if you're not hungry for food, don't force yourself to eat it. The overall jist seems to me that you should not have to count calories on Up days if you eat based on your appetite.

On the other hand, I know it is very difficult for some to truly eat to appetite, especially if they're eating those carbs that go down soooo easily! I'm sure it would be best in those cases to count calories at least some of the time to keep tabs on oneself.
You've pretty much nailed how Up Days are done amongst those who follow JUDDD and do much posting on that forum.

Some know they don't go overboard much, so don't count on their UDs and hold strictly to their DD calorie number and shed the pounds at a marvelous rate. Others are prone to turning Up Days into Up, Up and Awayyyyy Days if they don't keep at least a guesstimate count, so they do a lot more measuring and counting.

My thought is, if someone is losing well.. why make it any harder and more time consuming than it has to be? For myself, I'm a *count occasionally to keep myself in line* sort of JUDDDer, and I let it go at that.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have to count everyday to stay where I need to be. I got so spoiled trying to do LC that my calories were WAY up there. Lots of butter and cream adds up QUICKLY. Counting calories is really no different than counting carbs. If you don't keep up with the carbs you can really overeat carbs and not realize it. Same with calories. Either way I have to count. But it isn't hard. Second nature now.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #24

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I have to count everyday to stay where I need to be. I got so spoiled trying to do LC that my calories were WAY up there. Lots of butter and cream adds up QUICKLY. Counting calories is really no different than counting carbs. If you don't keep up with the carbs you can really overeat carbs and not realize it. Same with calories. Either way I have to count. But it isn't hard. Second nature now.
Exactly, me too.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Exactly, me too.
me three. but there are so many calorie counting web sites that it's almost like you hardly have to count. Makes it quite easy.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote