LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Plastic and coconut oil?

I was going to order a larger container of coconut oil from netrition and saw that the larger sizes arr in plastic buckets or jars...I thought I had read somewhere that this wasn't good for the coconut oil...something to do with it reacting with the plastic...can someone help me out here.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I was going to order a larger container of coconut oil from netrition and saw that the larger sizes arr in plastic buckets or jars...I thought I had read somewhere that this wasn't good for the coconut oil...something to do with it reacting with the plastic...can someone help me out here.
no I haven't heard that but plastic with that B-something is all bad for us...
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
They are food grade plastic designed for long term foods storage. they are not going to react with their contents or they would be useless for storing them. they are the hard plastic white buckets. You see those used all the time for restaurant food products like pickles, tomatoes, and other foods that are high in sodium, sugar and acids. they take years to degrade with normal use and are recycled and reused by the companies that pack the food ( I couldn't get the store to give me any more buckets because they send them back to be cleaned and reused) and even abused and put out in the sun ( as I do when I converted them to planting buckets) it takes years for them to start to break down even after being drilled and holding soil and water and baking in the sun and freezing in the winter.

plastics that weren't designed to hold fool long term will degrade much sooner because there were never intended to last long. thinking of commercial water, drink bottles, comsumer food containers, one use packaging. Bisphenol-A might be one of the things you are thinking of and that is used in Polycarbonte products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
"In general, plastics that are marked with recycle codes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are very unlikely to contain BPA. Some, but not all, plastics that are marked with recycle codes 3 or 7 may be made with BPA."[28]
The Nutiva Coconut oil that I got from Netrition is in a white plastic bucket with the recycle code 2, on it and as such is not one of the products that is likely to contain BPA. the Louana container is also recycle code 2.

I don't believe that ingredient is used to make the white plastic buckets and containers hard, as it is used in softer clear plastics to make them durable like the sports water bottles and baby bottles. They are a different type of plastic and are hard on their own and don't need BPA to help them keep their structure over time...

So it's not likely that you would need to be worried about buying your coconut oil in the plastic containers in which they are stored. They are safe. Whether you choose to keep the bulk of the oil in the original container is for you to decide once you get it. I found it more convenient to scoop it from the big /2\ white plastic bucket and store it in my smaller /2\ white plastic jar that I reuse after using up the Louana refined coconut oil. I haven't grown a beard yet...
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 03-10-2012 at 04:15 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
There is evidence that ALL plastics leach into our foods. At the very least, you shouldn't heat food in plastic containers and I've stopped storing food in plastic containers. I choose to pay more and buy smaller quantities in glass jars now. CO is so expensive that it's tempting to mail order big plastic buckets but I resist.

I have a very personal reason for concern. My 12 year old started puberty at the age of 7!!! The doctors claim that's "normal" now, but I don't think so! I couldn't breast feed and her baby bottles were made from a plastic I now know had BPA. I can't think of anything else that might explain this as we eat pretty "clean" diets otherwise. But we also used a lot of plastic for food storage until recently (still trying to get DH to let go of using it).

It's late, but when you read about plastics and the fact that our blood shows a lot of plastic compounds in our bloodstreams, it's worth taking steps to minimize plastic that contacts our food.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
There is evidence that ALL plastics leach into our foods. At the very least, you shouldn't heat food in plastic containers and I've stopped storing food in plastic containers. I choose to pay more and buy smaller quantities in glass jars now. CO is so expensive that it's tempting to mail order big plastic buckets but I resist.

I have a very personal reason for concern. My 12 year old started puberty at the age of 7!!! The doctors claim that's "normal" now, but I don't think so! I couldn't breast feed and her baby bottles were made from a plastic I now know had BPA. I can't think of anything else that might explain this as we eat pretty "clean" diets otherwise. But we also used a lot of plastic for food storage until recently (still trying to get DH to let go of using it).

It's late, but when you read about plastics and the fact that our blood shows a lot of plastic compounds in our bloodstreams, it's worth taking steps to minimize plastic that contacts our food.

You said yall eat pretty clean. Does that include meat and dairy? Do you get Organic? My sisters daughters and son all three started puberty before they were 10 years old and she breast fed all three!
I think it is the growth hormones!
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I buy the big gallon buckets of coconut oil. It's part of my long-term food storage as well, since it's shelf-stable and lasts a long time. The slight concern of plastics in the oil vs. the cost of storing that much oil in glass... cost wins out.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

I think she was asking about the plastic that the coconut oil came in , not the everyday plastics that we use. The everyday plastics would be more likely to contain the estrogen-like hormone BPA than the Food Grade plastics because the chemicals used the make the hard white food grade plastics do not need BPA to make them hard and durable. the BPA was used in softer plastic materials that people use daily like sippy cups and one use water bottles like dasani, and sports bottles and baby bottles and food containers. They needed these things to not break down so quickly so used BPA to make them harder. Companies wanted to market that their products were stronger and lasted longer, clear plastics break down easily, and BPA keeps them harder longer but it still breaks down and the BPA comes out.

It can't come out if it's not there to begin with. The white plastic containers that the coconut oil comes in, don't contain BPA, so it can't come out.

with other plastics it just makes sense to use caution and not use them in ways that will cause them to degrade faster and not use them longer or more than they are designed. It's a shame because the manufacturer's didn't warn us about reusing water bottles and didn't test for this action, and many children's bottles ended up containing them, but the coconut oil is not stored in polycarbonate baby bottles.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, I agree that it's pretty clear that ALL plastics leach into food. there is nothing safe, not plastic wrap, plastic bags, plastic containers like coconut oil comes in, or styrofoam trays for meat and all. but what can we do? It would be very very hard to avoid it all. just try to limit it as much as possible. coconut oil in glass is no doubt better than plastic. we don't know exactly how much damage each of these things does, in each different circumstance. it will probably be decades before it's clear.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh I wish I could find the thread I will research it some more...But it was something about the plastic container affecting the actual atomic chain of triglycerides in the oil and changing them...I am probably over analyzing but was just curious and didn't want to save money on coconut oil if the plastic was going to make it not worth ingesting.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #10

Iterry, please research it some more, because it is more likely people are fear mongering than plastic containers are changing molecular structures. I find it hard to believe without some sort of study or evidence.

I think the fear about BPA is spreading and scaring people about ALL plastics even ones that never contained it. the only way I would be concerned were if the container were in a delivery truck that caught on fire on it's way to my destination, then I'd be worried that the plastic reacted with the heat and smoke and may have melted enough to contaminate the oil inside, but that is not likely. Even if it sat on a hot truck for days, it's unlikely the plastic would degrade enough to start reacting with the oil. But if you do find some information about the /2\ plastics that the coconut oil comes in changing the molecular structures of triglycerides, I'd be hugely interested to see it.

The best way to keep oil is under vacuum lock with no air, or an inert gas, in a dark amber or cobalt bottle, in a cool dark place away from light, sunlight or artificial.
I haven't see any store that carries oils in amber bottles sealed with inert gas and shielded from even the stores overhead lights. the moment you open the bottle, you introduce air which immediately starts the process of oxidation. It's impossible to even use the oil without subjecting it to some measure of degredation from exposure to light, heat, or air, but there is no need to panic about it. the plastic containers make it affordable for you to get oil, It is opaque, sealed against air, same as an amber/cobalt bottle and it's lighter and less likely to break. It composition as a non-reactive substance means that certain foods can be stored safely long term. meaning that it can travel from it's source to you without costing an arm and a leg. but even if you choose to spend an arm and a leg, it's not worth the companies money expense to use glass for something that will be used up shortly after purchase unless it has too. Glass also has a size limit that makes it unfeasable for them to package and ship it. A gallon glass jar, even empty costs a lot of money to ship and is a breaking hazard. thats why you usually see only the smaller sizes of oil in glass and the larger in plastic.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the answers. It probably is a bpa things and maybe wasn't mentioned in that way which made it seem like any plastic was bad. I may try the larger size next time I order seeing as it is way less expensive.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
Pint sized canning jars are $8.99 a dozen at Target and probably cheaper if you live someplace where canning is more common than it is here. They're a really handy size for storing liquids that have come in larger containers.

The plastic bucket can always be reused for dry storage.
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Colt
I had taken some coconut oil to store it in vitamin bottles (spring valley walmart bottles) which are hard dark green plastic- transparent. After several days to several weeks the plastic had been leached into the coconut oil to the point where it turned green. This happens with all plastics.

All plastics are made from crude oil as is parafin (petroleum jelly-vasoline and baby oil/mineral oil). Parafin is known by many names but in all cases has carcinogenic compounds known as polycylic aromatic hydrocarbons(PAHs)- with especially strong links to breast cancers-- they also are transdermal which means they go through the skin and bioacumulate over time.

There was also a series of tests done by an investigative journalist. The tv station hired a lab and they tested a wide array of frozen meals and food cooking each item as per the box's directions. Regardless of which type of plastic- 1/2/3 etc there was higl levels of BPA in the food- yes even in plastic that is said not to have any BPA. BPA is also found in the seals of glass jars(pasta sauce etc) and metal canned goods- the lining of the can. One effective treatment for the carcinogenic process of BPA exposure is consuming 800mg of Folate(folic acid)... this actually normalizes the damaged processes on an intracellular level basically nutralizing the effects of BPA.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
You said yall eat pretty clean. Does that include meat and dairy? Do you get Organic? My sisters daughters and son all three started puberty before they were 10 years old and she breast fed all three!
I agree with you that we should be concerned with the growth hormones.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
I started puberty at age nine and a few months. As did my grandmother back in the early 1900s. And several other family members on my father's side of the family. It's not always an abnormal thing.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
This happens with all plastics.
No, it doesn't. By that logic, my coconut oil should be milky white from being stored in a white plastic container that it comes in in the supermarket. You aren't supposed to use dry storage vitamin bottles to store solvent oils. That's pretty simple.

Why don't you contact Spring valley walmart brand company and ask them if the bottles are safe to be reused to store oil. I'm sure they would recommend against it.

Just like there is a difference between say Lead Crystal and plain glass, just because they look the same doesn't mean that they both are safe or both unsafe to store food in long term. Just because they look the same doesn't mean they act the same. There is chemistry involved and that determines the properties of what can react with what-else.

Last edited by metqa; 09-04-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
Considering the amount of studies being done linking plastics to obesity and being endocrine disruptors I'm avoiding it (which is really easy to do.)

PLOS ONE: Plastics Derived Endocrine Disruptors (BPA, DEHP and DBP) Induce Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Obesity, Reproductive Disease and Sperm Epimutations
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #18

It's fine to avoid plastics if you want, no one is saying anyone must use them, but it's also important to know why something is safe or unsafe, and for example, if you store food in a container not designed to store food, for example, then it's not the fault of the container that it was used improperly.

I'm not disagreeing that there are leachates from plastics, but I'm also not going to panic over low reactive use of plastics. I'm not going to freak out from touching my trash bag for example. That's going to far, but I'm also not going to drink a soda from a plastic bottle that's been left in the sun of a hot car for 3 months in the summer and is warped and melted, that would be foolishly taking risks.

Getting coconut oil in a plastic container that is not reactive and has not been exposed to heat or radiation or aging is probably safe enough, especially if you plan to re-store it in other containers like a glass decanter.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post

I started puberty around that age but didn't have a period till I was 16. I blame the early puberty thing on PCO's
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote