Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kumambert
sugarfree candy= massively high carb?

hello everyone,

i came across sugar free hard candies at the drugstore, but when I looked at the package information, it was something like 100 carbs per 100 grams!!!

I practically threw them back on the shelf, so i didn't see what they were made of, but how is this possible? anyone know what this amazing sugarfree hugely high carb substance is? is this for real?

I miss candy
Kumambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
That's awfully high. How many sugar alcohols were in it??
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberus
WOE: Low carb (Type 2 Diabetic)
Hard candy is solid sugar, remove the sugar and you have to have something to be the "hard" part .. that hard part is usually crystallized starch
cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
100 grams is 3 ounces and that is alot of candy...probably the whole bag. All things in extreme moderation if you can tolerate it.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I'm betting that the counted carbs come mostly from the sugar acohols - which really can be deducted from the carb totals as the sugar alcohols don't digest, as I understand. So look for the number of sugar alcohols on the nutrition listing and subtract those from the total carbs.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dragonfly
Stats: 339/219/150 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 9, 2009
Yep, you can subtract the sugar alcohols. Just don't eat more than a couple, or you may have some *ahem* discomfort afterwards. I really love the sugar-free Brach's cinnamon discs...and the butterscotch ones, too. I find them at Walmart...they have the best selection of sugar-free candies I've found, and the best prices, too.
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

Gallery: flatferenghi
most of the sugar free stuff is mostly sugar alcohols

However, it can affect some people, yet not others. When i am following plan, i avoid them at all costs(bathroom issues). When i am not following plan, i am a beast. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
I'm betting that the counted carbs come mostly from the sugar acohols - which really can be deducted from the carb totals as the sugar alcohols don't digest, as I understand. So look for the number of sugar alcohols on the nutrition listing and subtract those from the total carbs.
I'd be in the bathroom for a week if most of the carbs came from sugar alcohols! Although I wouldn't eat an entire 3 oz bag of SF candy either. Im curious to see what the candy actually was. Hopefully Kumambert comes back.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Ok I found out the deal on the candy!

per 100g,

calories 0
protein 0
fat 0
carbohydrate 99.7g
salt 10.3mg
sucrose 0
sugars 0

contain, erythritol, polydextrose, xanthan gum, coloring, flavoring, Siraitia grosvenorii extract, cochineal extract

??
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mia.K
Stats: 5'5'' / 126lbs
WOE: Low-Carb Eclectic
Start Date: 13 September 2011
Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates, erythritol is a sugar alcohol. These minimally affect your blood sugar. So the carb count would be 100g of sweets minus 99.7g of sugar alcohol equalling 0.3g net carbs.

Use Google for more info.

Last edited by Mia.K; 03-06-2012 at 04:20 AM..
Mia.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

wow, thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It doesn't say 99.7 grams of sugar alcohols, it says carbs. Kumambert what was the product? You didn't state the SA content.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

The ingredients were listed, one being erythritol. That would be the sugar alcohols that I spoke of, therefore that would be the carbs.

Last edited by Mia.K; 03-06-2012 at 07:27 AM..
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Example - my sugarfree sweets are 98g of carbs per 100g. All Isomalt and Sucralose.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HellInYourEyes
Stats: 165.6/165.6/100
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 10/28/2013
I've noticed that lots of "sugar free" stuff is high carb. I literally stand there in the aisle going, "How can it be sugar free with all these carbs?!" I just avoid that stuff. If it doesn't make sense and I can't pronounce a good chunk of the ingredients then I don't eat it.
HellInYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

The carbs are the sugar alcohols!! Minimal impact on the blood sugar, therefore no spike in insulin. They do not behave like normal carbs at all.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HellInYourEyes
Stats: 165.6/165.6/100
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 10/28/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia.K View Post
The carbs are the sugar alcohols!! Minimal impact on the blood sugar, therefore no spike in insulin. They do not behave like normal carbs at all.
I did not know this. I will look up more info about sugar alcohols now lol.
HellInYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:

"They do not behave like normal carbs" to some people. Some people eat SAs and do experience significant rises in their BS and cravings for real carbs. It's a YMMV type of food. GL.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

It is the case for most people.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
"They do not behave like normal carbs" to some people. Some people eat SAs and do experience significant rises in their BS and cravings for real carbs. It's a YMMV type of food. GL.
I am always interested in this and wonder if you could be kind enough to share the backup info/studies that explain and prove this?

I only use Ricola sugarless and they use sugar alcohols which net out. Google 'calories in Ricola'.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
From Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, The Diabetes Solution, chapter 3:

So-Called Diet Foods and Sugar-Free Foods

In the recent past, food labeling laws in the United States have permitted products to be called sugar-free if they do not contain common table sugar (sucrose). Such labeling requirements have the effect of allowing manufacturers to perpetuate a myth that sugars that are not sucrose (table sugar) are not sugars, which is nonsense. Still, it fools a lot of people. I’ve been in doctors’ offices that have candy dishes full of “sugar-free” hard candies especially for their diabetic patients. If you read labels, you can often find out what kind of stealth sugar is in the product, but individually wrapped candies may not have labels.

Here is a partial list of stealth sugars. All of these will raise your blood sugar. Keep in mind that sugars (and carbohydrate) tend to end in –ose (as in lactose), while sugar alcohols end in –ol (as in sorbitol).

Some, such as sorbitol and fructose, raise blood sugar more slowly than glucose but still too much to prevent blood sugar rises after eating in people with diabetes.

Other “diet” foods contain stealth sugars or large amounts of rapid-acting carbohydrate, or even both. A sugarfree cookie, for example, is virtually 100 percent rapid acting carbohydrate (flour), so that even if it contains none of the stealth sugars, a small quantity would easily cause rapid blood sugar elevation.

There are exceptions:

• Most diet sodas are fine, although there are glaring exceptions. Sugar-free Slice contains 40 percent “natural fruit juice.” Bottom line: check the nutrition facts label and look for a goose egg — 0 — under carbohydrate. (A great thing about diet drinks: if you spill them, they’re not sticky.)

• Sugar-free Jell-O brand gelatin desserts are also fine, but again you have to check the label. The ready-to eat variety is currently sugar-free, but the powdered mix contains maltodextrin.

Da Vinci brand sugar-free syrups (see page 88) use Splenda and are good for all sorts of uses, from flavoring and sweetening coffee to making sugar-free soft drinks (mix with sparkling water) or adding to vinegar and oil to customize a salad dressing.

All of these “exceptions” are made without sugar of any kind.

----

And about sugar alcohols, generally. They are FODMAPs. Second reference on FODMAPs.

Easy reading reference on FODMAPs.

Polyols, also known as sugar alcohols (appearing as artificial sweeteners in commercial foods and drinks):

Sorbitol may appear in “sugar-free chewing gum”, “low calorie foods”; naturally it appears in stone fruits: peaches, apricots, plums.
Xylitol is also present in chewing gum and naturally apears in some berries. A pack of chewing gum containing sorbitol or xylitol may cause bloating or diarrhea in a healthy child and especially in persons with fructose malabsorption or small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).
Other polyols, like mannitol, isomalt, erithrytol, arabitol, erythritol, glycol, glycerol, lactitol, ribitol, (all of which rarely occur in nature, and then in minimal amounts compared to that which is added to processed foods) may be problematic in fructose malabsorption and SIBO.

Some folks are bothered by fructose malabsorption, and some are not. Dr. Emily Deans has talked some about fructose malabsorption at her blog.

My own experience with maltitol, sorbitol, etc., is that they caused bloating, gas, carb cravings, sometimes diarrhea, and made me feel unwell, even in amounts of half, or even amounts of less than half, of the recommended the "serving size".

I use saccharin tablets, Necta Sweet brand, and grow stevia plants. I actually feel better using saccharin than stevia.

Dr. Bernstein has also explained why the glycemic index is not as useful as it was intended to be. That section of the book is a bit too long to post here. It can be found by searching for "Dr. Richard Bernstein, glycemix index".

Hope this helps someone a bit.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-06-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: added information
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumambert View Post
Ok I found out the deal on the candy!

per 100g,

calories 0
protein 0
fat 0
carbohydrate 99.7g
salt 10.3mg
sucrose 0
sugars 0

contain, erythritol, polydextrose, xanthan gum, coloring, flavoring, Siraitia grosvenorii extract, cochineal extract

??
Quote:
Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates, erythritol is a sugar alcohol. These minimally affect your blood sugar. So the carb count would be 100g of sweets minus 99.7g of sugar alcohol equalling 0.3g net carbs.

Use Google for more info.
Quote:
The ingredients were listed, one being erythritol. That would be the sugar alcohols that I spoke of, therefore that would be the carbs.
THIS is how I am reading the post(maybe I am reading it wrong, if so, the OP should let me know):

The 100 grams is the serving size, not the amount of carbs. The amount of carbs for that serving of 100 grams (or aprox 3 ounces as stated by Carolyn) is 99.7. The SA's AMOUNT are NOT listed here. Yes they are listed in the ingredients(erythritol) but the amount of them are not. Hence the reason I asked Kumambert for what the candy was. I wanted to look it up and get the rest of the info.

I have SF Twizzlers. Serving size is 6 pieces, or 43 grams. The serving size has 34 grams of carbs and 23 grams of sugar alcohols listed. The net carbs is 11 grams.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart
-Helen Keller

First Goal...Get into my size 16 pants and jeans (currently in sz 18)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberus
WOE: Low carb (Type 2 Diabetic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post

Yeah, stevia makes me want a cookie, manitol and maltitol (sugar free chocolates normal sweetener) and sorbitol might as well be exlax, but sucralose and aspartamine don't bother me a bit.

Like you said YMMV, just like everyone has to find their own LC woe that works.
cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPALady1974 View Post
THIS is how I am reading the post(maybe I am reading it wrong, if so, the OP should let me know):

The 100 grams is the serving size, not the amount of carbs. The amount of carbs for that serving of 100 grams (or aprox 3 ounces as stated by Carolyn) is 99.7. The SA's AMOUNT are NOT listed here. Yes they are listed in the ingredients(erythritol) but the amount of them are not. Hence the reason I asked Kumambert for what the candy was. I wanted to look it up and get the rest of the info.

I have SF Twizzlers. Serving size is 6 pieces, or 43 grams. The serving size has 34 grams of carbs and 23 grams of sugar alcohols listed. The net carbs is 11 grams.
I give up.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyKat
Hi, sorry this is incredibly late, but I came across this thread while looking up carb stuff for my type 1 diabetic daughter. I wanted to post what I found out about sugar alcohols.
Tips for Carb Counting and Sugar Alcohols
The effect that sugar alcohols have on your blood glucose can vary so it is difficult to know how sugar alcohols will affect your blood glucose levels every time. Because there is less of an effect from sugar alcohols than either sugar or starch, you can use the following tips to estimate how much carbohydrate from a serving to count in your meal plan for foods that contain more than 5 grams of sugar alcohols.

If a food has more than 5 grams of sugar alcohols:

Subtract ˝ the grams of sugar alcohol from the amount of total carbohydrate
Count the remaining grams of carbohydrate in your meal plan.
Hope this can help someone.
KittyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rita80
Stats: 178 / 173 / 138
Start Date: May 2013
Thanks KittyKat, that is great information! that equation will come in handy!
Rita80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #27

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Also, polydextrose (2nd ingredient listed) is 90% fiber.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
I use the formula that Kitty mentioned. I subtract all SAs if 5 or less, then a half of those over that amount. That is what Dr. Bernstein recommended in one of his monthly teleseminars. BUT unless the SA is erythritol or xylitol, I don't eat anything with SAs above 5 or 6 due to intestinal issues.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rocket Queen
Wow..I havent ever counted sugar alcohols, period. Maybe they effect people differently but I eat at minimum 3 pieces of Russell Stovers SF Dark Choolates a day. Every single day, lol. If I used that formula, that means I'd be consuming roughly SIXTY carbs from the candy every day. Im doubting that needs to be counted. Ive lost 42.6 lbs since Feb 23rd, and eat SF candy every day. With 25 NC of food, and 60 in candy..I dount Id be losing at 85 carbs a day!
Rocket Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
This is why I'm trying to institute a new rule: If you don't know, don't eat it. I find myself getting stuck googling ingredients and spending way too much time trying to figure out if something is ok to eat. There is time better spent, IMHO. I'm really trying to be done with foods with weird ingredients. This has become even more glaring of an issue as I move to gluten free. Too many weird ingredients that might have gluten.

In this case, I'd go grab an organic apple or some berries and move on...

Last edited by DD80; 05-29-2013 at 09:12 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote