LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KSJones718
WOE: Keto Diet
Start Date: February 6, 2012
Not Losing Weight After 3 weeks! HELP! :(

Hello all-
I just started the Keto Diet about 3-3.5 weeks ago. I am 5'2 and approximately 275lbs. I desperately need to lose weight and decided that low-carb is the way to go because before I would eat carbs, carbs, carbs all day long- I am/was obsessed with bread! I think I lost weight during the first week, but now it has slowed a bit and I'm wondering what is wrong. Some days I feel smaller (although I'm not too sure) but I step on the scale and either there is no change, or I have even gained a few pounds! Through my research it seemed like people dropped weight drastically through Keto and I was hoping it would work for me. My day usually consists of:
Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs (sometimes I make a mini egg salad with mayonnaise and butter), 1 Atkins shake.
Lunch: A low-carb thickburger from Hardee's (delicious). Or sometimes a salad with chicken, broccoli, celery, sunflower seeds, and ranch.
Snack: Pepperoni chips with sour cream, or almonds.
Dinner: Some sort of meat (chicken, pork chops, steak, etc), and a vegetable with butter.
Dessert: Sometimes I'll have a spoonful or two of frozen whipped cream if I really need something sweet.
I try to stay below 30-40g of carbs a day.

Sometimes I will have an iced coffee with heavy whipping cream and splenda and I only allow myself one diet soda per day (if that). I always drink at least 4 bottles of water (64oz) everyday. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. The ketostix say that I am in ketosis with moderate amounts of ketones. I've heard sometimes that not eating enough calories on a low-carb diet can mess you up but I've also heard that eating too many calories can mess you up. Any ideas of what could be happening?? HELP!!
KSJones718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Your menu looks fine. How much did you lose in your first week?
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I'm not sure. I made the mistake of not weighing myself when I first started but I think it was right about 275. And that is still what I weigh now, if not a little more....
Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Nothing is wrong.. it's totally normal to have a slow down after the first or second week.. Here is a bit of info for you (it's a long read but it will help you).. I found it several years ago here.. I no longer know who posted it originally!

It has to do with your body wanting to keep you from getting dehydrated...

"From tracking a *lot* of people who become assimilated into the lowcarb lifestyle (hehe...resistance is
futile!) a pattern emerges....

the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every
single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported.
This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that
the rate drops to only 1 pound per week. (if that).

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a
weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human
body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid
release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released
fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat
cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its
survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous
status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this.
OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the
first 2 weeks.

Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa!
Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound
each! So... what gives?

Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores
that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for
about 3-5 pounds of water.

In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not
being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in
all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and
MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10
initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking:
Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the
status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin
antidiuretic hormone
....more water is retained, and no weight loss
noticed.

Fat loss is still occuring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because
ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in
effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss.

The body is
preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.
From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging.
Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated
frequently to oneself ) is helpful.

Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body
retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we
aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial
water-loss phase of the Atkins diet.

By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale
will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is
rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per
week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight.(whichever is
the lower number)

Take-home message: Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be
occuring. Don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress
Hope this can shed some light for you as well!"

Just keep on keepin' on hon!! Track your food on ****** to be sure of your carbs for a couple of weeks, it really helps!

Mostly don't get discouraged!!! You absolutely can do this.

Last edited by daisyHair; 03-01-2012 at 01:28 PM..
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
It might be that you underestimated your starting weight! We have a tendency to do that! So it could be that you have lost! If I were you I would carefully track my weight from here on out...and then you can see your results!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
It might be that you underestimated your starting weight! We have a tendency to do that! So it could be that you have lost! If I were you I would carefully track my weight from here on out...and then you can see your results!
I forgot I was going to say the same thing.. start tracking your weight now and also MEASURE.. that measuring tape has saved many people frustration when the scale does not move!

Drink plenty of water too.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
As a carb-addict, breads called my name as well, especially bagels.

But once you get going on LC, the Carb-Monster will let go of you, and you won't crave bread products, nor think about bread products frequently throughout the day.

Don't give in to the Carb-Monster!

The body, when switching from a carb-burning metabolism to a fat-burning metabolism, takes some time to adjust...plus, we all know that the weight didn't come on all at once, and if you place your main focus on improving your health, the body will reward you as it is able.

Some of us will lose very slowly, then we'll have a day where we are hungry, hungry, hungry...and that can be a signal that the "Whoosh Fairy" is about to come and pay you a visit, with a sudden drop of 2-4 lbs. We all love it when that happens!

You can't dictate to your body what it should do, and you only harm yourself if you try to compare yourself to someone else's weight loss. I've lost 7 lbs. in about 4 1/2 weeks. Would I like it if I had lost more? Sure! But like the story of the Tortoise & the Hare, slow and easy, one day at a time, the weight will come off. If I go off LC, and go back to eating the carbs that my system cannot tolerate well, any weight that I've managed to lose will find me again, and usually brings some more friends along too...then I'm worse off than before.

Instead, get some awesome menu items together, and preparation is key! If you like egg salad, or tuna salad, keep some already made, so you can grab some real quick if you suddenly get hungry, or feel emotionally-hungry.

Remember, high fat not only takes away hunger, FAT BURNS FAT. Don't be afraid of it, and don't be afraid to eat...period.

Please keep posting, let us know how you are doing, and it will help you stay motivated.

TWICE A BEGGAR--"It's something we all wish for, and something we're all afraid of...To feel nothing when it hurts, and to feel everything when it doesn't." - Merrit Malloy

Last edited by jemmi; 03-01-2012 at 02:15 PM..
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wilbur
WOE: Atkins
maybe try to nix the Atkins shake and nuts. You should read Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution (2002) ((or some other legit plan)) and then follow it to the letter. You may have lost weight too. Or, you could just be extremely insulin resistant, which Dr. Atkins discusses in his book.

Good Luck! You'll get it figured out!
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: breadaddict
I hate to always bring up the dreaded "C" word (calories), but have you kept track of portion sizes so that you can add up your calories for a day? I would not say that that is definitely the problem, but if they are too high you can be stunting your weight loss. I would track for a day to at least rule that out. You are not close to goal just yet, so I would not think you would necessarily have to count them on a regular basis yet, but I would track for a day just as an experiment. I know from experience that if you eat too much of even the right foods, you can end up not losing weight, even on low-carb.
breadaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

First off- thank you all so much for the great responses. I am so incredibly new to this- all my diets before have consisted if is strictly calorie-counting so I'm completely new to the low-carb lifestyle. I have been told by other people to cut out the Atkins Shakes so I will definitely do that. I also have been eating quite a few almonds throughout the day so those will probably have to decrease as well. I really don't eat big portions throughout the day but I will start tracking my calories. What is a typical day for most people? I'm just curious. Does anyone think that I should just switch to Atkins instead of just trying the "Keto Diet"? If I were to switch to Atkins, how would I get started?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Another hint is to watch your protein intake. You are short, like many of us, and probably your protein grams should definitely be less than 90 grams a day..****** will help you
figure this out.

Plus..nuts are sooo easy to overeat and pretty soon, if you don't watch out, you have taken in 300 calories or more in nuts.

I say add your calories and your carbs and see where you are. You probably should take in around 1800 calories a day and see where that takes you. Many people overeat LC foods and gain and wonder why..We have all been there.

Good luck.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Perhaps you should try to eat no more than 20 carbs per day until you are near your goal weight.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Daisyhair thanks sooo much that really helps me keep things in perspective! Darn those hormones lol.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
I would start by cutting the Atkins shake. If that doesn't work, I would cut back on the cream and nuts/seeds.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
Start Date: July 12
It took a month before I saw any losses!
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HellInYourEyes
Stats: 165.6/165.6/100
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 10/28/2013
I am glad that I am here. I too had a FREAKING fantastic weight loss in the beginning. I lost at least a pound every day. Lately I've been kind of teetering on 145-146lbs. Nothing lost in the last week or so. I have not cheated and I have not gone off plan. This thread *esp Daisyhair's post* has helped me put things into perspective.

Thanks!
HellInYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I agree about cutting the shakes and nuts, and reading the Atkins book.

Many people need to keep it under 20 carbs per day to lose (myself included!).
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
I don't mess with calories, and I actually don't mess too much with the carbs as well, cuz when you eat protein, good fats, and veggies, they almost take care of themselves.

Having fun trying new recipes, and enjoying the ones you have already tried keeps you going, and then after several days, hop on the scale and see how it's going for you.

I do that, and this morning, I'm down another 1.5 lbs., so how could I complain when I eat so well, including chocolate cake with strawberries or blueberries and whipped cream, or Russell Stover's SF candy, chocolate, and hard candies. Another company even makes a SF salt-water taffy. So I have a treat now and again. Sometimes I have SF jello with whipped cream. Oh, and one of my all-time favorites is a chocolate slushie. Simply make a cup of hot cocoa (I make2 cups at a time), add extra HWC to it, and put in the freezer. Check it later and it goes through stages of slushiness, and I eat some, and put it back in the freezer. I check an hour later, and eat some more, so nice! It will be great for summer too!

And just today, I saw a post talking about how you can use radishes, parsnips, and daikon radishes like you would potatoes! I know...I know...I can't believe my eyes either, but I go shopping tomorrow, and guess what is on my list? Yep!

This beats gaining weight, right?
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliebean
Stats: 148/192/150
Start Date: July 2013
I am following the low carb diet to a T. My keto stix are are the darkest color. I've lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks.... I have NO idea what's going on, but I'm pissed.
elliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: breadaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebean View Post
I am following the low carb diet to a T. My keto stix are are the darkest color. I've lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks.... I have NO idea what's going on, but I'm pissed.
One pound a week is not bad at all. That is almost nine pounds in two months if your loss continues like that. That is something to be proud of.

To lose one pound a week, you have to create a calorie deficit of 500 calories each day. That means you are cutting your calorie intake 500 calories every day! That is not easy
breadaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wilbur
If you want to start Atkins, then get the book! Seriously. Don't try to wing it. I like the 2002 version of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR). If you follow the plan as written (read: no cheating or fake foods) you WILL lose, and quickly. I got my book for a couple bucks on Amazon. Trust me it's worth it.
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Check your library. Or if your library has a used book store attached/within it, used books are very reasonable. Ours has paperbacks for 50 cents and hardbacks for $1.00, unless marked otherwise.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eharrod22
Your stall

I was looking for other comments with the answer I was going to give but didn't see the answer. I saw that you said you had 1 diet soda a day. I'm doing Atkins right now and also experienced a stall, ketosis sticks stopped showing color the day after I had a diet cherry dr pepper.
I did some research and sure enough, sodas containing aspartame cause stalls in many people....
I like my carbonated beverages and feel kind of deprived without them, so I've been buying La Croix sparkling waters in different favors. You may not like them, but they work for me. Also, I occasionally have a Diet Rite, they're made with Splenda which is supposedly ok. If you want a real treat, try Diet Rite Tangerine flavor with heavy whipping cream. It tastes like a dreamsicle or an orange float! :-D
I've heard TAB is ok too. Whatever you do, just avoid the aspartame.
eharrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmb4548
Start Date: November 27, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJones718 View Post
I just started the Keto Diet about 3-3.5 weeks ago. I am 5'2 and approximately 275lbs. I desperately need to lose weight and decided that low-carb is the way to go because before I would eat carbs, carbs, carbs all day long- I am/was obsessed with bread! I think I lost weight during the first week, but now it has slowed a bit and I'm wondering what is wrong. Some days I feel smaller (although I'm not too sure) but I step on the scale and either there is no change, or I have even gained a few pounds! Through my research it seemed like people dropped weight drastically through Keto and I was hoping it would work for me.
Tomorrow will make one month of my low carb diet. I also am 5'2 and obsessed with bread. Since I've started, I have never consumed a double digit count of carb in a day. Most days I go without any at all. I was quite proud of myself. Until I stepped on the scale and realized that NOTHING had changed. NOT ONE POUND. I am in ketosis. I survived induction flu. A week ago, I shimmied into pants I bought but was never able to wear. But my scale seems to hate me. Viciously. I even started Pilates and saw no change. THEN!!! I googled my problem and found this wonderful thread that explains what may be going on. I do not drink a lot of water. Not much at all. I've developed a love for tea (sweetened with Equal), though. I'm desperately hoping that I am losing weight, but am retaining water because I've been so terrible about my intake. Long story short, THANK YOU! I just may not curse out my scale today.
jmb4548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmb4548
Start Date: November 27, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Nothing is wrong.. it's totally normal to have a slow down after the first or second week.. Here is a bit of info for you (it's a long read but it will help you).. I found it several years ago here.. I no longer know who posted it originally!

It has to do with your body wanting to keep you from getting dehydrated...
This has all the answers I've been looking for!
jmb4548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebean View Post
Some of us just lose slowly. I weigh and measure everything, limit carbs and calories and protein grams, am physically active, and do JUDDD calorie cycling, having 300-500 calories every other day--and 1 pound a week loss would be normal to good rate of weight loss for me. My body is gonna do what it's gonna do--all that I can do is stay on plan and be patient. Try to focus on the health benefits of what you are doing, as well as the weight loss, and remember that losing a pound a week for a year results in 50 pounds of weight loss, which is pretty darn good.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb4548 View Post
Most days I go without any at all. I was quite proud of myself.
Are you tracking?
Carbs add up fairly quickly.
Deli meats, cheese, eggs, cream, veggies, sweeteners(unless liquid), all have small amounts of carbs and it's easy to disregard them thinking they're "zero" when they can be just under 1g per serving (and that's just if you're having one serving and not 3-4).
Unless you're just eating unprocessed meats (even spices like pepper has trace carbs per serving), you're probably getting more than you realize.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
When you say frozen whipped cream, is it homemade? How many carbs are in that? Maybe switch to sugar free jello for a while? My loss slowed a LOT after the first week or two. Sometimes I will have a long period of time at the same weight and then it will suddenly drop a few pounds. I'd give it another week or two and see where you're at, too. Our bodies have to adjust as we lose weight.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SiaMia
My bet is you underestimated your starting weight.
SiaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Gary Taubes points out that some people retain sodium when they start low-carb - which causes them to retain water as well. He quotes a number of doctors who recommend including a cup or two of chicken broth per day, so your body realizes there's plenty of sodium around and no reason to hang onto it.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote