Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JhayJhay
Stats: 335/238/180
WOE: Low Carb
Special K Protein Plus?

Ive been eating this serial for almost every day of my diet with success however Im hearing bad things about it like its made with fructose and that its loaded with hidden carbs. What should I do? This cereal satisfies my craving for sweets.
JhayJhay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Just a little info on cereal, written by Sally Fallon

Quote:
Packaged Cereals
Dry breakfast cereals are produced by a process called extrusion. Cereal makers first create a slurry of the grains and then put them in a machine called an extruder. The grains are forced out of a little hole at high temperature and pressure. Depending on the shape of the hole, the grains are made into little o's, flakes, animal shapes, or shreds (as in Shredded Wheat or Triscuits), or they are puffed (as in puffed rice). A blade slices off each little flake or shape, which is then carried past a nozzle and sprayed with a coating of oil and sugar to seal off the cereal from the ravages of milk and to give it crunch.

In his book Fighting the Food Giants, Paul Stitt has tells us that the extrusion process used for these cereals destroys most of the nutrients in the grains. It destroys the fatty acids; it even destroys the chemical vitamins that are added at the end. The amino acids are rendered very toxic by this process. The amino acid lysine, a crucial nutrient, is especially denatured by extrusion. This is how all the boxed cereals are made, even the ones sold in the health food stores. They are all made in the same way and mostly in the same factories. All dry cereals that come in boxes are extruded cereals.

The only advances made in the extrusion process are those that will cut cost regardless of how these will alter the nutrient content of the product. Cereals are a multi-billion dollar business, one that has created huge fortunes.

With so many people eating breakfast cereals, you might expect to find some studies on the effect of extruded cereals on animals or humans. Yet, there are no published studies at all in the scientific literature.

The Rat Experiments
Let me tell you about two studies which were not published. The first was described by Paul Stitt who wrote about an experiment conducted by a cereal company in which four sets of rats were given special diets. One group received plain whole wheat, water and synthetic vitamins and minerals. A second group received puffed wheat (an extruded cereal), water and the same nutrient solution. A third set was given only water. A fourth set was given nothing but water and chemical nutrients. The rats that received the whole wheat lived over a year on this diet. The rats that got nothing but water and vitamins lived about two months. The animals on water alone lived about a month. But the company's own laboratory study showed that the rats given the vitamins, water and all the puffed wheat they wanted died within two weeks---they died before the rats that got no food at all. It wasn't a matter of the rats dying of malnutrition. Autopsy revealed dysfunction of the pancreas, liver and kidneys and degeneration of the nerves of the spine, all signs of insulin shock.

Results like these suggested that there was something actually very toxic in the puffed wheat itself! Proteins are very similar to certain toxins in molecular structure, and the pressure of the puffing process may produce chemical changes, which turn a nutritious grain into a poisonous substance.

Another unpublished experiment was carried out in the 1960s. Researchers at Ann Arbor University were given 18 laboratory rats. They were divided into three groups: one group received corn flakes and water; a second group was given the cardboard box that the corn flakes came in and water; the control group received rat chow and water. The rats in the control group remained in good health throughout the experiment. The rats eating the box became lethargic and eventually died of malnutrition. But the rats receiving the corn flakes and water died before the rats that were eating the box! (The last corn flake rat died the day the first box rat died.) But before death, the corn flake rats developed schizophrenic behavior, threw fits, bit each other and finally went into convulsions. The startling conclusion of this study is that there was more nourishment in the box than there was in the corn flakes.

This experiment was actually designed as a joke, but the results were far from funny. The results were never published and similar studies have not been conducted.

Most of America eats this kind of cereal. In fact, the USDA is gloating over the fact that children today get the vast majority of their important nutrients from the nutrients added to these boxed cereals.

Cereals sold in the health food stores are made by the same method. It may come as a shock to you, but these whole grain extruded cereals are probably more dangerous than those sold in the supermarket, because they are higher in protein and it is the proteins in these cereals that are so denatured by this type of processing.

There are no published studies on the effects of these extruded grains on animals or humans, but I did find one study in a literature search that described the microscopic effects of extrusion on the proteins. "Zeins," which comprise the majority of proteins in corn, are located in spherical organelles called protein bodies. During extrusion, these protein bodies are completely disrupted and deformed. The extrusion process breaks down the organelles, disperses the proteins and the proteins become toxic. When they are disrupted in this way, you have absolute chaos in your food, and it can result in a disruption of the nervous system.
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Read the The Wheat Belly Diet !
It is eye opening!
Annabel Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
It probably satisfies your craving for sweets because it IS sugar!

Googling reveals the nutritional label--14 g of carbohydrate, with 5 g of fiber. That's 9 net grams BEFORE you add any milk (and cow's milk will add a lot of carbohydrate, too), and IF you only eat the 3/4 cup serving recommended (when I ate cereal, I never ate what would be considered just one serving). That's a lot of carbs! Carbs from grain ARE sugar, no matter what they are called.

And the ingredients leave a lot to be desired:
Quote:
Wheat Bran, Soy Grits, Rice, Wheat Gluten, Soybean(s) Oil, Wheat Whole Grain, Soy Protein Isolate, Sugar, Salt, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Flavoring Malt, Flavor(s) Natural & Artificial, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sucralose, Alpha Tocopherol (Tocopheryl) Acetate (Vitamin E), Iron Reduced, Niacinamide (Vitamin aB), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (HCL) (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) (Vitamin B2), Thiamine (Thiamin) Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Palmitate, Folic Acid (Vitamin aB) and Vitamin B12, BHT To Preserve Freshness
All those vitamins have to be added in because they are processed out of the wheat. There's evidence that soy is NOT good for you at all, and mounting evidence that modern grains are not only bad for your body but they also cause you to crave more and more carbohydrates. We do not NEED grains in our diet.

You would do much better eating a breakfast of REAL whole food--eggs, meat, veggies. Then your sugar cravings might really go away.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
Start Date: 1/1/14
IF you are seeing a loss eating this cereal and it doesn`t bother you, then eat your cereal. Most people on this board will NOT eat cereal. We are on a low carb diet. So, it is a no no. IF it doesn`t bother you,Go for it.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
IF you are seeing a loss eating this cereal and it doesn`t bother you, then eat your cereal. Most people on this board will NOT eat cereal. We are on a low carb diet. So, it is a no no. IF it doesn`t bother you,Go for it.
Shame on me for eating cereal. Thank you Jaded62 for telling me the glass is half full. I eat this cereal with a little water mixed with half and half. I also use a little splenda so I can taste it. I eat enough cardboard. I also like it soggy. Are you guys officially grossed out? I measure the serving and stay strict. For a guy thats lost more than 70lbs I really don't stay strict on low carbing. The gym 3 to four times a week probably helps though.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
I eat one serving of either this cereal or the original Fiber One once a week for breakfast. I have my cereal with unsweetened (zero carb) almond milk.

I wouldn't eat it every day, but it works out well for me once a week.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
If it works for you, that's one thing, but you say you still have sugar cravings--because you're still feeding that sweet tooth. The real danger is eventually letting the carbs creep up as your sweet tooth takes over--your cravings may intensify.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbn
Stats: 287/282.8/281.4/190 (SW/CW/LW/GW) 5'10"
WOE: RNY/Low Carb, Moderate Fat
Start Date: February 23, 2012
I too thought this cereal was safe because of the low carb count but either they lie on the box or the carbs are just so highly processed that they act like straight sugar in your body. I also use half -half and lots of water. I had weight loss surgery so if eat high carbs in one meal, i get ill. You can really feel a sugar spike after having weight loss surgery. You get a rapid heartbeat and feel nauseated. I felt like that after eating the soecial k protein plus cereal. There is a low carb type cereal that looks and tastes close to cheerios through the lowcarb stores online. That one does not make me ill. However if u r still losing and not craving carbs after eating your cereal, i wouldnt worry about it.
Locarbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Arkansas --aka too far away from where I'd like to be ;)
Gallery: Amgarrett616
Stats: 228/193.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/06/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhayJhay View Post
I eat enough cardboard.
Why?
Amgarrett616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I personally have Kashi cereal sometimes. They have a higher protein one, as well as a few other versions I will consider. They have some fiber, too, and they are good for a change if you aren't watching your carbs too closely. I know they have some sugar in them - but not as much as most cereals and certainly not as much as a cupcake...sometimes, for me, it is a matter of eat this, not that. Sometimes I sprinkle some on Greek yogurt... I think your weight loss is fantastic! We are all different and lose it differently. Variety is the spice of life and if it works for you then super! I am sure your exercise helps a lot, too! Keep up the good work!!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandywine12
Stats: 195/160-155
WOE: Atkins 100%
Start Date: 1-4-11
I tried a bowl of cereal a while ago , I won't do that again, I got wired on it really bad . It was corn chex cereal.
brandywine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
do not beat yourself!!! You are not a criminal!!!

Are u happy with your weight loss and how u feel? if not, then u have to make different choices. If that is your only significant carb source, how about having a little less and add some protein? or eliminate the cereal and have a small amount of berries with cream? As an ATKINS Induction follower, i find a limitless variation in my food consumption, even within the parameters of the Induction food list. but that is me. Each one of us needs to find that which works for him/her. when it stops working, it is time to tweak. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
oh, and while we are on the subject...

why is it SPECIAL k? Is it an endangered species? Is it imported from France? FF
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
I enjoy Special K Protein and Fiber One cereals with either coconut or almond milk. I can eat one serving of either of them and stay within my goals for blood sugar. Another cereal I enjoy is Nutlettes, but that will drive the soy-is-bad folks really crazy as it is 100% soy. But very tasty, especially when mixed with cottage cheese and a bit a cream.
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgarrett616 View Post
Why?
Atkins bars I also use to control cravings. Those taste like cardboard.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Arkansas --aka too far away from where I'd like to be ;)
Gallery: Amgarrett616
Stats: 228/193.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/06/11
Quote:
Atkins bars I also use to control cravings. Those taste like cardboard.
Agreed!
Amgarrett616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

L-Glutamine is great for cravings!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Google holy crap, skinny b, or chia goodness (cheaper and available in my area) cereals
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Google holy crap, skinny b, or chia goodness (cheaper and available in my area) cereals
there is a cereal called holy crap??

ETA.......sounds pretty good!!!!

Last edited by PghPALady1974; 02-29-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov. 2011
I got some of the Hi-Lo cereal from Netrition. The serving size is only 1/2cup but it's really filling with almond milk and keeps me full until lunchtime which really surprised me. We love it but only do it once a week though because of the wheat.
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I like the special K as well. I have diabetes and surprised when I eat this for breakfast with unsweetened coconut milk, by lunch my blood sugar is usually pretty good. I do take insulin, but usually I cant eat that much carbs at one sitting, so I think this cereal ok for me.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
Ive been eating this serial for almost every day of my diet with success however Im hearing bad things about it like its made with fructose and that its loaded with hidden carbs. What should I do? This cereal satisfies my craving for sweets.
To address your question, I would say to google it. Find out what all the ingredients listed on the box really are. Are they fructose? Are they hidden carbs? Then ask yourself, does this matter to me? No one...no one can tell you what to eat. That decision is yours alone. If you like it and, as you put it, it satisfies your craving for sweets, then maybe you don't need to change a thing. Personally, if it keeps you from falling into the sugar bowl, then it's likely worth it.

AND...congrats on your excellent progress thus far!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jooser
Stats: 188/152/164 (current)/135
WOE: Atkins <25 net carbs
Start Date: January 2008, new start 1/28/11
I lost almost 40 lbs while eating a measured serving of Honey Nut Cheerios with almond milk every night before bed. I think is was 3/4 cup. It just gave me something to look forward to, it satified my sweet tooth but I thought it was better than having a cheat with a cookie, cake or candy, etc.
Jooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: joy2c
Stats: 183 all-time hi@16yrs old/152/140
WOE: lower carb/cal/fat
Start Date: November, 2003
There's different varieties of low carbing--I eat steel cut oatmeal successfully on my woe but that certainly will garner me some criticisim from some quarters . . .

Eat the cereal if it works for you. If you should stall out, then re-evaluate.

Everybody's body is different. Yours may handle more carbs than others, especially if you are training hard at the gym.

joy
joy2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPALady1974 View Post
[B]there is a cereal called holy crap??

I have it, I eat it with Almond breeze. My problem with it is more the soy than anything but I have not issues with it. I eat it sparingly but only because of the soy.
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jonahsafta
Stats: 165/157.8/153
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: orig. 1995 @248#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I personally have Kashi cereal sometimes. !
When I am in maintenance, I too eat this cereal upon occasion....I still find it doesnt stay with me , and I end up hungry before lunch. It does however taste good and have a good crunch
Jonahsafta is offline   Reply With Quote