Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trumellow
Start Date: 3/21/10
Coconut oil makes me cough...

It seems like it irritates my throat. I have tried a few different brands and the only one that doesn't do it is LouAna. I see, though, that LouAna isn't really of great quality for our purposes.

Anyone else? I wonder why the others do that to me?
trumellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Trumellow. You might be sensitive to salicylates. CO bothered me, too.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

So are we just out of luck then?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Trumellow. I don't think I am missing anything but not eating CO. Is that what you mean by being out of luck? I don't know if you are sensitive to salicylates. I just have a hunch that it could be the salicylates which bothered me.

I use beef fat, butter, and cream, which have lots of nutrients. I eat VLC, and so am not looking for anything to specifically increase ketone production, at this point.

Or are you asking something else?

Hope your day is starting nicely.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
It happens to me with coconut milk more than with the oil. I don't do dairy for now so use it in my coffee and tea...it's not real bad but yes I notice tickle, irritation in my throat and cough. Thanks for the reminder(lol, I guess)

I'm trying to replace some of my tea drinking with hot lemon water. Coffee black or lemon water, hmmmmmI do drink it black when I'm out somewhere...

Back to your dilemma...I use bacon fat for cooking a lot of the time, if it's from a really good source like hormone and antibiotic free...also I use avocado oil sometimes, when I can find it. It's tasteless and ok for high heat. Expensive.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I get the same reaction if I have coconut oil straight up.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumellow View Post
the only one that doesn't do it is LouAna. I see, though, that LouAna isn't really of great quality for our purposes.
LouAnn is fine for most anything you want to do, particularly cooking. Lots of people use it because it doesn't have a coconut flavor. I use both types all the time.

I was reading a thread here last night that mentioned the fact that if you don't like eating CO for any reason you can use it topically and get some of the same benefits. No link to proof of that assertion by the poster.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I really just want it to make the bark with and to put in coffee for the energy kick/ health benefits everyone speaks of. I never noticed the energy boost but I could never consume that much of it. I made the bark with the louana but I wasn't aware of any benefits at the time so didn't take notice. Mainly, I am just looking to try enough of it to see about that energy.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumellow View Post
I really just want it to make the bark with and to put in coffee for the energy kick/ health benefits everyone speaks of. I never noticed the energy boost but I could never consume that much of it. I made the bark with the louana but I wasn't aware of any benefits at the time so didn't take notice. Mainly, I am just looking to try enough of it to see about that energy.
I researched it a bit on the internet when I was short of cash and couldn't afford the organic stuff (which [to use the Patrick O'Brian vernacular] you can get at Amazon for a steal).

What I found was a lot of glowing information about the wonderful way organic CO was processed but zero actual statements that the LouAnn type CO was less beneficial - that is no defining statement that copra derived oil was less beneficial.

Perhaps someone else can link to something that they found that actually shows a defined benefit of organic processing that makes the end product chemically different from the alternative much less expensive product.

To me that was very, very significant. If an organic supplier could say with proof that you get less MCTs from non-organic (for lack of a better word) and less nutrition from non-organic I believe it would be in big bold letters all over the place.

Organic meat vs. non-organic meat is an excellent example. Farmed meat is castigated by the organic crowd for being full of anti-biotics, growth hormones and God knows what else. They aren't bashful about bringing it up.

I've used both for both coffee and bark. I far prefer the organic for both uses because it just tastes better.

As for the energy aspect of it... neither is superior to the other. But. I don't think CO is responsible for increased energy any more than any other healthy fat would be. Increased energy is derived from pursuing a LC way of eating.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote