Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zed
Ketosis

I was watching a video about LCHF and they mentioned Ketosis but not much one thing they did mention is, once you gets into Ketosis, if you do have a cheat day it can take 2 to 4 weeks to get it back into Ketosis.

But i thought it only took a week to get into Ketosis?

So basically my question is how long does it take to be Ketosis and how long does Ketosis last? does you stay in Ketosis as long as you stick to the diet or does it plateau or stop etc?

Sry for my bad English
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Zed. Your English is super.

How soon one gets back into ketosis depends upon how much glycogen is store in the muscles and in the liver, etc. Eating very low carb and exercising will use that up quickly.

You are asking very good questions. I wish you success.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
That does not square with what I've read about ketosis. Everyone, generally speaking, is in and out of the state of ketosis at different times for different lengths all day long. Without regard to the way that person eats in terms of diet. The exceptions are those with damaged metabolisms (like diabetics) or eating disorders (emotional eating type issues).

When you eat carbs your insulin levels rise. While insulin levels are high, body fat is not burned easily for fuel but the carbs you ate are. When you finish eating and insulin levels return to nominal later then your body turns to stored fuel to keep functioning - ketosis. That is, if insulin levels are nominal your body will burn previously stored fat for fuel.

Google Dr. Eades blog for lots of good information.

P.S. I had to reread your post when I read Auntie Em mention your English was fine. In other words I didn't even notice that you might not be a native English speaker. =)
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Auntie

i have been on something similar to LCHF diet but have been eating fruits and veggies quite a bit which i didn't know where so high in Carbs so decided to start a proper LCHF diet tomorrow and keep to 20g or less Carbs.

So have been speed reading about Ketosis tonight and was just wondering as i read something about Diabetics and Ketosis and ketoacidosis if it was dangerous to be in Ketosis since i have type 2 Diabetes and am lets just say a Big Boy

One question is will me being on a very low Carbs diet under 20g daily be a problem regarding Ketosis or should i have more Carbs a day more then 20g.

I prefer to do it properly under 20g but just not sure as i don't know enough about it atm.

have been proably getting 50g to 75 daily 20g should be no problem

any info would be great

Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Hey reddarin thanks

Regarding my "English writing" sometimes i don't even understand it myself let alone getting others to.

I actually started typing before you and probably took ages compared to you to finish the above post as you see it being after your reply

There might be another 5 replies by the time i press submit with this one lol
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Zed, reddarin has given good information. Your English really is excellent.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

You are doing just fine with your posts. Probably better than lots of native speakers lol

If you have been eating a lot of fruits and veggies I highly doubt that you are under 75g of carbs daily. Most fruits are carbs bombs and lots of veggies are high carb too.

Although LC doesn't require logging food I highly recommend it. Especially since you have an underlying health condition with diabetes. I used ****** (google ****** ) and while it has some limitations and seriously annoying drawbacks it is fairly easy to get the hang of.

Thank God you've found LC. It is, or can be, the cure for diabetes for many people. You need to put a lot of effort into getting well informed about what you are doing since you are taking medication (I assume).

Quote:
Diabetics and Ketosis and ketoacidosis
Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two very different things. I believe Dr. Eades has at least one really good post about that. He runs an obesity clinic using LC and he has a lot of diabetic or pre-diabetic patients I believe. His site is searchable.

As long as you are LCHF and eat some colorful veggies to offset the acid properties of meat I think you'll be fine. But do your research. No need to hospitalize yourself and fuel to the anti-LC fire the Standard American Diet crowd uses to battle the best way of eating since sliced bread was invented (haha).

Oh! Read Wheat Belly too. Great book and it will help you stay LC.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Much appreciated thank you
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
i ran across a blog by a doctor who is extremely knowledgable about these matters and who himself had his own LC journey. His name is Peter Attia. Find his blog on the google (i am not sure if we can link to blogs or not). very useful.

Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are VERY DIFFERENT. Everything i know and have experienced for a T2 Diabetic is that ketosis will help a lot.

Best wishes!
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
Start Date: August (this time around)
oh, and read Gary Taubes. His book "Why we get Fat and What we can do about it" is great.
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov. 2011
I second reading Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD. I just finished it yesterday and it's very clear and informative.
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I ate ice cream one week ago (Pms) and tested positive on ketostix. So I guess one week or less is enough to get back on board, if that one cheat even threw me out at all.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
Start Date: 8/1/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
But i thought it only took a week to get into Ketosis?

So basically my question is how long does it take to be Ketosis and how long does Ketosis last? does you stay in Ketosis as long as you stick to the diet or does it plateau or stop etc?

Sry for my bad English
For me, I can usually get back into ketosis within 24 hours after I eat something carby- if I stay very strict.

I go in and out of ketosis depending how strict I keep myself. I've been doing this 7 months and I'd say I am in ketosis most of the time.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Low Carb Living is the video i was talking about

Low Carb High Fat | Dietdoctor.com
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Good info here, and your English is better than many born speaking it. Trust me! I've seen a lot worse!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Low Carb Living is the video i was talking about

Low Carb High Fat | Dietdoctor.com
Wow! Thanks for posting the link. I hadn't seen that interview.

Here is the YouTube link in case the blog link is a no-no:

Okay. Having watched it I see what you were talking about with the 2 to 4 weeks and ketosis.

What the doctor said was that taking a one day or one weekend break and eating high carb would require 2 to 4 weeks of *re-adaptation*. He said that after a 2 to 4 week induction period you would be keto-adapted or in a state of constant nutritional ketosis.

That is the key though: nutritional ketosis. Which is to say, your body is switched over completely to fat as fuel rather than carbs.

So, if you break the LC way of eating your body quickly becomes carb centric and you will face 2 to 4 weeks for your body to adapt again. 2 to 4 weeks to become proficient at using fat for fuel - not 2 to 4 weeks to experience normal ketosis. Or transient ketosis versus nutritional ketosis. Transient ketosis is experienced by every one throughout the day at various times barring metabolic damage. Nutritional ketosis is a long term state that signifies your body's natural fuel will be fat rather than carbs.

I just got his book. I have started reading it but haven't gotten very far yet. I'm really looking forward to reading it now.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #17
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Thanks reddarin for explaining it in laymans for me lol now i Capish cool
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
I dunno, I think once you've done it long enough you are adapted and can jump back and forth relatively easily. Ketosis begins when your liver runs out of glycogen, it only stores like 120g of the stuff and you can go through that in 1 day. I regularly carb-cheat (usually once a week or 2) and find my acetone breath is back within 1 day.

But maybe this is just the transient ketosis... either way I can bicycle quite a while on it as I've recently foumd.

Last edited by spirilis; 02-27-2012 at 03:14 AM..
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grinch031
Stats: 196/179/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 11/24/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Wow! Thanks for posting the link. I hadn't seen that interview.

Here is the YouTube link in case the blog link is a no-no:

Low Carb Living - YouTube

Okay. Having watched it I see what you were talking about with the 2 to 4 weeks and ketosis.

What the doctor said was that taking a one day or one weekend break and eating high carb would require 2 to 4 weeks of *re-adaptation*. He said that after a 2 to 4 week induction period you would be keto-adapted or in a state of constant nutritional ketosis.

That is the key though: nutritional ketosis. Which is to say, your body is switched over completely to fat as fuel rather than carbs.

So, if you break the LC way of eating your body quickly becomes carb centric and you will face 2 to 4 weeks for your body to adapt again. 2 to 4 weeks to become proficient at using fat for fuel - not 2 to 4 weeks to experience normal ketosis. Or transient ketosis versus nutritional ketosis. Transient ketosis is experienced by every one throughout the day at various times barring metabolic damage. Nutritional ketosis is a long term state that signifies your body's natural fuel will be fat rather than carbs.

I just got his book. I have started reading it but haven't gotten very far yet. I'm really looking forward to reading it now.
This sounds like BS to me. The book, The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald which explains the science in a no-nonsense kind of way advocates a cyclical ketogenic diet for athletes where they do weekly carb refeeds and then return back to dietary ketosis within the next few days.
grinch031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
Zed
Senior LCF Member

If you don't feel hungry once your body is ketosis and say your last meal was 8-9 hours ago and your like not hungry atm but thinking its time to eat yeah i could snack something "habits" should you eat or wait till your hungrier even if it means not eating for another few hours and instead of having say 3 meals only having 2 for the day?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
In the past, after I had been in ketosis well for several weeks I could eat a carb up meal (one meal) and be back in ketosis with in two days.. sometimes less than that.

Also eat with your hunger. I don't think anyone here will tell you to eat just because you feel it's time!
Believe me.. your hunger will come back when it's time.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch031 View Post
This sounds like BS to me. The book, The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald which explains the science in a no-nonsense kind of way advocates a cyclical ketogenic diet for athletes where they do weekly carb refeeds and then return back to dietary ketosis within the next few days.
Well sir. I am not a doctor. I simply posted my interpretation of what the doctor said. You are welcome to your opinion =)
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Alright well after watching the video a bit (only 5 minutes in), at 4 minutes Phinney goes into it a bit--the exact topic of re-ketoadaptation hasn't been "adequately studied" but in his own clinical practice he saw the effect where ketone levels took 1-2 weeks to ramp back up to their stable state.

So I think there may be something to that--you will probably end up in ketosis after a day or 2 post-carb cheat, but your ketone levels may not be ramped up to the level you'd want if, say, you were about to do a sports competition in a ketogenic state. Since I've been doing a lot of bicycling lately with the early spring weather, this is important to me.

Also I don't think that's the same as the 2-6 week "keto-adaptation", I think the painful metabolic adaptation is still there it just takes 1-2wk post-carb cheat to ramp up full production again, but note that's my speculation.

Last edited by spirilis; 02-28-2012 at 05:59 AM..
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
Alright well after watching the video a bit (only 5 minutes in), at 4 minutes Phinney goes into it a bit--the exact topic of re-ketoadaptation hasn't been "adequately studied" but in his own clinical practice he saw the effect where ketone levels took 1-2 weeks to ramp back up to their stable state.

So I think there may be something to that--you will probably end up in ketosis after a day or 2 post-carb cheat, but your ketone levels may not be ramped up to the level you'd want if, say, you were about to do a sports competition in a ketogenic state. Since I've been doing a lot of bicycling lately with the early spring weather, this is important to me.

Also I don't think that's the same as the 2-6 week "keto-adaptation", I think the painful metabolic adaptation is still there it just takes 1-2wk post-carb cheat to ramp up full production again, but note that's my speculation.
I think you are right on this.. there is more to it than just looking at a ketostik.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

That is my interpretation as well. Ketosis is a natural and normal state that everyone who does not have a damaged physiology will experience throughout the day at various times - it is simply burning stored energy. Cheating doesn't mean you won't be ketogenic within a short time but it does mean that your body will have to re-adapt over a 2 to 4 week period for *efficient* dietary ketosis.

As anecdotal evidence, how many posts have you read from someone that is concerned that the ketostix no longer show them in ketosis after a couple of weeks although they are following LC strictly? The body has become adapted and no longer produces enough excess ketones to show on those stix.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
That is my interpretation as well. Ketosis is a natural and normal state that everyone who does not have a damaged physiology will experience throughout the day at various times - it is simply burning stored energy. Cheating doesn't mean you won't be ketogenic within a short time but it does mean that your body will have to re-adapt over a 2 to 4 week period for *efficient* dietary ketosis.

As anecdotal evidence, how many posts have you read from someone that is concerned that the ketostix no longer show them in ketosis after a couple of weeks although they are following LC strictly? The body has become adapted and no longer produces enough excess ketones to show on those stix.

I just wonder if this is true, why would a person who has been in ketosis for more than a couple of years still get moderate readings on the stix? The difference must indicate something...
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
[/B]

I just wonder if this is true, why would a person who has been in ketosis for more than a couple of years still get moderate readings on the stix? The difference must indicate something...
Welp. That is the problem with anecdotal evidence
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[/B]

Very good question. I think there are a few possibilities and the fine minutiae just haven't been explored--I recall Phinney mentioning either in his book or in another interview of his that the reason detectable ketone levels ("detectable ketone" = Acetoacetate [ketostix] or Acetone [breath], but not Beta-hydroxybutyrate) drop with keto-adaptation is that your body deliberately converts more Acetoacetate to B-OHB and that this occurs in your muscles.

So that raises the question... What causes your muscles to do this? Does the exercise level affect it, does it have to do with glycogen levels in the muscles, etc? Seems to me there's room for individual variation with this too. But I haven't read or heard any satisfying detail on this and I'm guessing the details haven't been found yet.

I think as Phinney/Volek's book and message and the general LCHF dietary advice gains further ground we might start to see studies funded to answer these questions. At least that's my hope.

Last edited by spirilis; 02-28-2012 at 06:25 AM..
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #29
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Very good question. I think there are a few possibilities and the fine minutiae just haven't been explored--I recall Phinney mentioning either in his book or in another interview of his that the reason detectable ketone levels ("detectable ketone" = Acetoacetate [ketostix] or Acetone [breath], but not Beta-hydroxybutyrate) drop with keto-adaptation is that your body deliberately converts more Acetoacetate to B-OHB and that this occurs in your muscles.

So that raises the question... What causes your muscles to do this? Does the exercise level affect it, does it have to do with glycogen levels in the muscles, etc? Seems to me there's room for individual variation with this too. But I haven't read or heard any satisfying detail on this and I'm guessing the details haven't been found yet.

I think as Phinney/Volek's book and message and the general LCHF dietary advice gains further ground we might start to see studies funded to answer these questions. At least that's my hope.
Just received my book and am anxious to read what they have to say. I have heard this topic discussed but never an answer provided. Most recently heard Mark Sisson say that once keto adapted the body becomes good at using the available energy and that spilling ketones no longer occurs...I was somewhat disturbed to hear this. Up until recently, I was under the belief that ketones detected by stix were actually the waste product of the actual ketones. Appears that I was wrong?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just received my book and am anxious to read what they have to say. I have heard this topic discussed but never an answer provided. Most recently heard Mark Sisson say that once keto adapted the body becomes good at using the available energy and that spilling ketones no longer occurs...I was somewhat disturbed to hear this. Up until recently, I was under the belief that ketones detected by stix were actually the waste product of the actual ketones. Appears that I was wrong?
Ketones detected by the stix are most definitely wasted, otherwise they wouldn't be in your urine. The book does talk about the kidneys' role in ketone dumping (initially during induction, it dumps them like crazy but eventually "wises up")--but most of the physiology is about the first ~2-6 weeks of keto-adaptation, there just isn't much at all for folks on it long term. IMO this part of the field is a world of science unexplored.

Side note, Phinney's observation about elevated uric acid levels during induction are related to the kidneys ketone dumping--that the pathway used to excrete organic acids gets overwhelmed by ketone dumping, and this competitively inhibits the kidneys' ability to dump uric acid. The fact that uric acid levels usually drop after 2 weeks of adaptation show a shift in the kidneys' function possibly in conjunction with a drop in metabolized protein (indicating that the liver is seeing less need for gluconeogenesis, as ketones are probably being used by the body's tissues more effectively thus taking up the slack) although the book's explanation focuses on kidney function, not gluconeogenesis.

Last edited by spirilis; 02-28-2012 at 07:47 AM..