Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zed
Diet for Fatty Liver

Diet for Fatty Liver

Making changes to your diet can help you better control your fatty liver. Obesity is the most common cause of a fatty liver, according to Jackson Siegelbaum Gastroenterology. If you are overweight, losing weight by reducing your calorie intake and increasing your physical activity can help. Include a variety of nutrient-rich foods in your diet plan to help your overall health, such as fruits, vegetables,lean sources of protein and low-fat dairy products. You should also include healthy sources of fat, such as olive oil and vegetable oil, in place of foods high in saturated fat, such as butter

This above i read online at livestrong.

Now just wondering with all these LCHF diets mentioned here and how they seem to be helping in losing weight what are your thought regarding this?

I am doing the LCHP diet but when i read stuff like this since i have fatty liver it confuses me.

Last edited by Zed; 02-24-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Zed, are you asking what causes fatty liver disease? If so, there are studies showing that excess fructose consumption and eating a high carb diet are the culprits. Eating a LC diet can reverse fatty liver disease in many people.

You can check PubMed for research studies, clinical trials, etc.

Hope this helps some.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zed
Auntie Em no not hat causes it.

I have type 2 diabetes ad was told by my doctor to avoid fat but when i read here and elsewhere about LCHF diets im just thinking is it a good idea eating fat for a fatty liver?
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Zed, I'm sorry you've got diabetes.

There are folks in the diabetes sub-forum here at LCF, and in the Dr. Richard Bernstein support thread who could tell you of their own experiences with eating fat in the context of LC and their health reports.

I wish you all the best.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
All indications are that a LCHF diet is the best treatment for fatty liver. Google "fatty liver, LCHF" and "Paleo fatty liver" and you should find plenty of references.

Vegetable oils which are omega 6 can cause oxidative stress and INFLAMMATION in the body. You already have liver issues, and those oils add to your woes. It still stems from the mistaken belief that dietary fat causes elevated cholesterol and fat which has proven NOT to be true. Instead, excess carbs, especially fructose cause your liver to crank out enormous amounts of triglycerides and LDL, which eventually back up into the liver. Avoid those vegetable oils, eat LCHF, and you should see improvement quickly.

Last edited by Janknitz; 02-24-2012 at 07:27 AM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV...

Zed,
I am not offering medical advice, only my experience. My doc tried to put me on a low carb/low fat eating plan when my A1C came in at 11.5, following years of non-compliance with my Type 2. My Cholesterol was 242. (bad!) went back to her this week after 3 months of eating low carb/HIGH fat and both my overall cholesterol and trigliserides had plummeted down. A1C down to 5.2!!!

I agree with many others here that it is NOT fat that makes us fat, but fat plus SUGAR!!

And my fatty liver? That is now normal, too!

Last edited by Annie75; 02-24-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote