Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarfreemarie
Life Without Bread

Life Without Bread
Has anyone read or follow Life Without Bread? If you've read Gary Taubes' latest book, Why We Get Fat he talks about it briefly. But the premise is that you can eat 72 grams of carbs a day (doesn't matter what kind of carbs) and of course, all the fat and protein you want (incl. veggies).

I am drawn to this plan because
1.) It stays at a 72 gram level
2.) You can basically eat whatever carbs you want, just as long as it stays at 72 grams
3.) Does not discriminate against amount of food you can eat in general, just as long as you do not go over 72 grams of carbs

Hardcore low carbers will argue that you certainly cannot eat whatever and any kind of carbs that you want and still lose weight but if you think outside of the box for a minute, if you can give yourself that leeway and enjoy some carbs but keep a tight reign on the carb grams without worrying about carb ladders, etc then don't you think it would be more of a lifestyle? It's a rhetorical question and I don't know the answer. But this is something I am considering and just wanted to know who else has tried Life Without Bread.

Thanks for listening!
sugarfreemarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Book lover that I am, I have them all, and I have that one too!

Life Without Bread is a great book. Dr. Lutz, from Austria, was prescribing low carb years and years and years before it became a household word.

The book really educated me about low carbing in a non-faddist way. But I decided on the Glycemic Load Diet because I just don't want to play the numbers game any more. Now I just know what I can/can't eat. But in my humble opinion, if you're going to count carb grams, you can't do better than Life Without Bread. I too liked that you didn't have to count the carb grams in low starch veggies. It always seemed silly to me to monitor even vegetables. If you follow it, good luck. I think it's a great plan.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I'm confused. If you can eat any carbs you want, why do they call it life without bread? I haven't read the book obviously.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarfreemarie
Karerose, I am not sure to be honest. Probably the title is a pun but you are allowed your carbs, though he doesn't advocate eating more than 72 grams.

Putt - How much have you lost on your program? And you can have chocolate too on your plan, right?
sugarfreemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
a LOT of people cannot lose with that many carbs. It is very individual!

A LOT of people cannot lose when they eat certain foods (like bread) because those foods cause too much of a blood sugar reaction. If you ask me, there is a BIG difference in where you get your carbs from. Some are slow acting, some fast acting, and that difference can mean a LOT for some people, weight loss wise. Again, it is very individual!

The only way to find out if it works for you is try it.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
marie, so far I'm losing about 1/2 pound a week. It's very slow going, but as long as I see a downward trend, I'm ok. I've lost 10 lbs so far and have about 50 more to go. I'm really not in a race, I just want to eat healthfully and keep my blood sugar normalized, and I don't want to count anything anymore, so this is perfect for me.

Yeah, about the chocolate, it's just a very small amount allowed, which is nice. In his earlier book Dr. Rob said to eat about 100 cal a day piece; in his later books he says the amount you can wrap your fingers around! I'm really loving eating this way, but we all have to find our own way. I'm just grateful my blood sugars are stable now.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I learned a lot from this book. However, the way I understood it, the 72 gms of carbs limit is intended to improve overall health, not necessarily weight loss. I think many of us trying to lose weight with a restricted carb way of eating would find it hard to do so with that high of a limit. However, we would be healthier than the SAD. I was especially interested in the improvement in gastrointestinal diseases following a carb restricted diet - of course I've felt that happy side effect since I started LC over a year ago!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I dearly WISH I could get away with 72 grams of carbs a day, but I can't ! First of all, I'm a very small person, and second, I couldn't deal with the cravings I would have.
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
I have never heard of the book, and so I know nothing about it at all. But I think many that are on a low-carb plan is because their metabolism is "broken," and the type of carbs that are in breads/grains/pasta, etc., do not "play nice" like the other food groups.

When I eat breads, rice, corn, pasta, it creates not only hunger, but I think about food more often. It reminds me of almost like an allergic reaction.

When I have weaned off of those above items, I basically breeze through the day without lots of hunger, and hours can go by before I even think of food.

It doesn't mean that I don't ever think about, or miss breads, grains, corn, and pasta, I do, but now, especially after watching "Fat Head," I just keep the vicious obesity cycle going if I choose to eat those foods again, because now I realize the chain reaction it causes.

Dr. Atkins book has ladders, so that when your metabolism repairs and rebalances, and works efficiently again, then you slowly add back in foods and see how well you tolerate them, so that eventually you are able to eat a higher amount of carbs and not gain weight, and not get overly hungry, etc.

There are lots of plans out there, so try the ones that you feel suit your needs/personality, and go from there. I've tried some of them, and so far, the one that works best for me is low-carb.

Keep in mind too that many foods here in the U.S. have been tampered with, including our grains/breadstuffs, so that not only is the wheat or corn possibly been altered (GMO's), but the other ingredients, like HFCS, or partially-hydrogenated oils, has also been added, and may create havoc and imbalances, etc. It's tricky business nowadays.

One question I have is why is sugar and HFCS added to breads in this country, whereas in France, a country known for its amazing breads, do not? My thoughts about it are not good ones, so I'll leave it right there, and not say anymore.

Best to you, and take care!

TWICE A BEGGAR--"It's something we all wish for, and something we're all afraid of...To feel nothing when it hurts, and to feel everything when it doesn't." - Merrit Malloy
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustPeachy
Stats: 242/216/155
WOE: LC
Start Date: Nov. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
a LOT of people cannot lose with that many carbs. It is very individual!

A LOT of people cannot lose when they eat certain foods (like bread) because those foods cause too much of a blood sugar reaction. If you ask me, there is a BIG difference in where you get your carbs from. Some are slow acting, some fast acting, and that difference can mean a LOT for some people, weight loss wise. Again, it is very individual!

The only way to find out if it works for you is try it.
I completely agree because this has been my own experience.

I just purchased Wheat Belly by William Davis on Tues and I'm 1/2 way through it. Man, that's some scarey stuff! I never had an inkling that 2pcs. of wheat bread can cause a blood sugar spike higher than ordinary table sugar, for example. No wonder Americans are facing an obesity crisis! And we won't get into the cascade of illnesses that stem from diabetes and celiac disease. I'm floored! Totally. And I'm also convinced that I'll never put another grain of genetically engineered flour (or gluten) in my mouth.
JustPeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: trans4mation2005
Stats: 361/242.6/172
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/25/2005
how much is 72 carbs of ice cream.. I could get the rest of my calories from meat, and butter.

I think if you CCLL is 72 or higher, why not go ahead with it.. I think some days you will eat foods that aren't very healthy, but most days you would eat healthy foods.
trans4mation2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans4mation2005 View Post
how much is 72 carbs of ice cream.. I could get the rest of my calories from meat, and butter.

I think if you CCLL is 72 or higher, why not go ahead with it.. I think some days you will eat foods that aren't very healthy, but most days you would eat healthy foods.
You're funny!

It also shows the potential for obvious abuse of certain select food items, and not necessarily the best for us. I would abuse bagels, and specialty breads, for sure.
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPeachy View Post
I completely agree because this has been my own experience.

I just purchased Wheat Belly by William Davis on Tues and I'm 1/2 way through it. Man, that's some scarey stuff! I never had an inkling that 2pcs. of wheat bread can cause a blood sugar spike higher than ordinary table sugar, for example. No wonder Americans are facing an obesity crisis! And we won't get into the cascade of illnesses that stem from diabetes and celiac disease. I'm floored! Totally. And I'm also convinced that I'll never put another grain of genetically engineered flour (or gluten) in my mouth.
Yep! Amazing, isn't it!? I am a diabetic and wheat affects me MUCH more violently than pure sugar.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
I learned a lot from this book. However, the way I understood it, the 72 gms of carbs limit is intended to improve overall health, not necessarily weight loss. I think many of us trying to lose weight with a restricted carb way of eating would find it hard to do so with that high of a limit. However, we would be healthier than the SAD. I was especially interested in the improvement in gastrointestinal diseases following a carb restricted diet - of course I've felt that happy side effect since I started LC over a year ago!
^^THIS exactly except for me, it is a bit longer than a year!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Raqoon
Stats: 318/296 /I'll know when I get there
WOE: Primal Low Carb
Start Date: Dec 13, 2011
Resurrecting this thread to add my experience on the Life Without Bread plan.

I lose weight slowly, even when doing Atkins induction. On this plan, I am continuing to lose slowly. But I'm enjoying myself, which is important for me too.

I'm currently experimenting with a kind of up/down carb day with my plan. Like up to 70 gr one day, and then below 30 gr the next. I'm enjoying the experimenting too! Maybe this will have some effect? I'll let you all know.
Raqoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Yep! Amazing, isn't it!? I am a diabetic and wheat affects me MUCH more violently than pure sugar.
I'm not diabetic but wheat effects me very badly. I think I'm gluten intolerant, IDK, self diagnosis lol.

I don't agree with the "more of a lifestyle" thing, because the way I eat now is my lifestyle. After 3 years, I'm very happy with the way I eat.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/164/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfreemarie View Post
if you can give yourself that leeway and enjoy some carbs but keep a tight reign on the carb grams without worrying about carb ladders, etc then don't you think it would be more of a lifestyle? It's a rhetorical question and I don't know the answer. But this is something I am considering and just wanted to know who else has tried Life Without Bread.

Thanks for listening!
No I don't think it would be more of a lifestyle. This is my lifestyle and I truly enjoy it. I eat way better food and better tasting food now than I used to. At this point its a no brainer for me. Its a lifestyle that I don't need to add anything to make it better, except for good Rib Eyes at a better price

In any event, there are all kinds of plans out there that fit better for some than others. If you feel that this one is a better fit for you. Give it a go.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/164/140
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raqoon View Post
Resurrecting this thread to add my experience on the Life Without Bread plan.

I lose weight slowly, even when doing Atkins induction. On this plan, I am continuing to lose slowly. But I'm enjoying myself, which is important for me too.

I'm currently experimenting with a kind of up/down carb day with my plan. Like up to 70 gr one day, and then below 30 gr the next. I'm enjoying the experimenting too! Maybe this will have some effect? I'll let you all know.
Good luck! I think the key to long term success, is enjoying the plan you are doing.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Raqoon
Stats: 318/296 /I'll know when I get there
WOE: Primal Low Carb
Start Date: Dec 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Good luck! I think the key to long term success, is enjoying the plan you are doing.
Yes, that's the key, isn't it? Each person has to find the plan that fits her health, goals and personality. We're very lucky that there are so many different plans out there!

A month ago I posted a thread despairing the overwhelming number of choices and how to know which was best, but now I am starting to enjoy the experimentation.
Raqoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmi View Post
One question I have is why is sugar and HFCS added to breads in this country, whereas in France, a country known for its amazing breads, do not? My thoughts about it are not good ones, so I'll leave it right there, and not say anymore.

Best to you, and take care!
jemmi, did you know that we're the only country that gets stuck with HFCS in our Coke and Pepsi products? The rest of the world gets the old style cane sugar stuff. Recently I discovered that Costco, and I think Walmart, sell Coke products from/made for Mexico (yes, that sounds disturbing, "coke" from Mexico...) and it tastes soooo much better and feels safer to me.

I don't do sugar anymore as of this WOE life-change, but I do keep it around for when friends are over and they always happily accept a few bottles to take home, as well.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i am extremely conservative with my low carb

bread/bagel /pita servings. would that i could TOTALLY ABSTAIN from it. but, alas, when i go too long w/o it, i succumb to the dark side and wallow in a starch fest. So, i have no more than 1 serving a day. I have (this month to date)gone w/o, 2 or 3 days a week. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Occasionally, I'll have a slice of low-carb or high fiber whole grain bread. That day will usually have higher carb counts.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote